Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,529 members, 7,816,293 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:58 AM

Soccer Viewing Centers - Should They Be Banned? - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Soccer Viewing Centers - Should They Be Banned? (5703 Views)

Poll: Football viewing center should be:

Banned: 15% (5 votes)
Supported: 84% (27 votes)
This poll has ended

Top 9 Fans You Can See In Viewing Centers / Types Of People You Come Across In A Football Viewing Centre / Football Viewing Centers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Soccer Viewing Centers - Should They Be Banned? by aieromon(m): 2:25am On May 15, 2009
Due to the passion and high demand of live football (mostly the English Premiership) by soccer-loving Nigerians,soccer viewing centers and sport bars sprung up in every nook and cranny of Nigeria.It is even common to have as much as three viewing centers on a single street!

However,in recent weeks,people have clamored for the closure of these centers because it has been alleged that they attract people who are prone to violent conduct.We can all remember the case of the Arsenal fan who was stabbed about two years ago while watching a live match in one of these viewing centers.Viewing centers are also seen to be synonymous with drinking,smoking and even gambling.

It was reported yesterday that five people were shot by policemen in Igando(a suburb of Lagos) after watching a Wigan vs Manchester United match.The police alleged that there was reported fighting among the viewers after the match and they received a distress call to come quell the violence.

Is this enough to ban viewing centers?Your comments would most certainly be appreciated
Re: Soccer Viewing Centers - Should They Be Banned? by Cristalz(f): 10:01am On May 15, 2009
They pose threats, but they are helpful to soccer lovers as well. I remember when I traveled to some state to see a friend. . .they didn't care about soccer in her house, so there wasn't any channel showing the United game I wanted to see that night.
I got 3 of my guy friends(as bodyguards grin), and we went to a viewing center. I was the only female there. grin It felt totally weird, but the people there weren't rowdy. Maybe 'cos it wasn't a do or die game. . .
I'll prefer it if I never visit another viewing center in my life (no place like home,lol), but it came in useful that night. Perhaps if the sale of alcohol and cigarettes could be banned at viewing centers it would make a difference.
In a more advanced country, the cops will be on hand, ready to slap cuffs on the wrists of whoever misbehaves, but in Naija, who cares?

I don't think it's possible for viewing centers to be banned. . .there will always be some guy with a tv and satellite connection ready to make some quick, easy bucks. And word like that always spreads fast.

Only solution would be if those in charge of the centers were to be held responsible for the conduct of their 'customers'. Policemen would then go around cutting cables of offenders with sharp knives. . .by the time a dude's cable is cut 4 or 5 times, he will think twice about showing when he knows he cannot control his people. grin Or the dude should be arrested for a little cell time. He can't be arrested though unless strict laws are made about the centers.
Issue now is, with more pressing crimes in the country, will policemen be serious about this?
Re: Soccer Viewing Centers - Should They Be Banned? by akinalabi(m): 10:11am On May 15, 2009
Banning it is like beheading a man because he has a headache  grin

There are many people that wants to watch footie but cannot afford
it. It pains me when I remember I pay N15,500 monthly (N186k annually  shocked  shocked  shocked )
to watch these matches at home. Many can't afford that so viewing centers
come in handy.

Maybe there should be some kind of regulations. They must be
approved by the local police post to ensure adequate security.

Like I said banning it is like beheading a man because he has a headache  grin
Re: Soccer Viewing Centers - Should They Be Banned? by tayoccu(m): 10:44am On May 15, 2009
crowd violence is a problem associated with football, and other team sports, should we now ban those sports because of the violence?
the answer is NO!
instead what we should do is put adequate measures on ground to prevent/control such events.

we do not need to burn the house to roast the pig.
Re: Soccer Viewing Centers - Should They Be Banned? by showbobo(m): 11:41am On May 15, 2009
nooooooooooooooooo
Re: Soccer Viewing Centers - Should They Be Banned? by aieromon(m): 11:44am On May 15, 2009
I remember watching a ManU vs Arsenal match(06/07 season) at a viewing center in Benin,Edo State which degenerated into a free for all when Thierry Henry scored the winner.I lost my wrist watch that day and it was then i decided that if i have to visit any viewing center,i will take a look at the type of people am gonna be watching the match with.Am down with Hitv so i still source for Carling Cup and FA Cup action from DsTv-installed viewing centers(Thank God HiTv intends adding these tournaments along with UECL to their package).After all,sports bars do not record these acts of violence and this is partly because of the type of individuals that patronise such outfits.

U have to agree with me that watching live football in a crowded room is more exciting than watching it in your living room alone.I always have to source for people to watch epl matches with me and i over-entertain them to make sure they come week in week out.

I don't support a ban but instead a regulation on the activities that should take place within a registered soccer viewing center.
Re: Soccer Viewing Centers - Should They Be Banned? by DeepSoul(f): 11:49am On May 15, 2009
Banning the sale of alcohol and cigarretes at these centres wont make much of a difference.

People dont need alcohol to spur them to violence.

Good football on its own is enough to act as some form of high!

And banning viewing centres is not economically wise, it's a source of income for many!
Re: Soccer Viewing Centers - Should They Be Banned? by walata44(m): 11:53am On May 15, 2009
Why banning the viewing centre? the violent that occur in this centres is another failure on the part of govt. Where are the police? If all the centres can be regulated, seriously there wont be this type of problem and govt can also generate money by taxing this viewing centre.
Re: Soccer Viewing Centers - Should They Be Banned? by kaghoe(m): 12:12pm On May 15, 2009
I understand this concern but banning these viewing centers due to potential unrest is like banning air travel after a major plane crash. There is always a potential disaster waiting to happen in many endeavors. All we can only do is to have a substantial control over them.

On a lighter note, if these centers are banned, you have to open ur windows to those who cannot afford HITV or DSTV . grin
Re: Soccer Viewing Centers - Should They Be Banned? by solosimple(m): 12:17pm On May 15, 2009
beheading a man with an headache is not the cure to his illness
Those who operate those centers might need to form an association and establish certain policies to guide every activities at the centers.
Re: Soccer Viewing Centers - Should They Be Banned? by Nobody: 12:25pm On May 15, 2009
walata44:

Why banning the viewing centre? the violent that occur in this centres is another failure on the part of govt. Where are the police? If all the centres can be regulated, seriously there wont be this type of problem and govt can also generate money by taxing this viewing centre.
Nice suggestion.
As long as the insecurity in the country is this high,violence will always be there ready to erupt at an instant.
People watch games in the pub in England.There's beer and alcohol flowing freely.The only restriction is the age you have to be to get in.
There are hardly any fights that I know of from there.Why?because there's always cops on the beat looking to jail any troublemaker at the drop of a hat.
I think it's not about the centers themselves.the police is largely ineffective to even stop pickpockets.How will the y deal with hardened criminals?
Re: Soccer Viewing Centers - Should They Be Banned? by Moves: 12:30pm On May 15, 2009
There is no need to ban viewing center, our people must learn to behave themselve or face the consequences for their actions, people who involve in fracas do so becos they know nothing will happen, I go to watch matches in pubs across europe and nobody was violently intimidating, The cure is existing laws on public conduct must the effectively enforced
Re: Soccer Viewing Centers - Should They Be Banned? by Ibime(m): 12:32pm On May 15, 2009
People need to be banned, not viewing centres. I was in Gambia recently and watched almost all the matches in viewing centres with no trouble at all. Therefore the centres are not the problem, but the people inside them. Nigerians are just violent bastards. grin
Re: Soccer Viewing Centers - Should They Be Banned? by kaghoe(m): 12:38pm On May 15, 2009
''Nigerians are just violent bastards.''
Ibime, that's a little too extreme for a social site these, please prune ur words b4 posting on a public page. That statement is too direct and general.
Re: Soccer Viewing Centers - Should They Be Banned? by aieromon(m): 1:29pm On May 15, 2009
Ibime:

People need to be banned, not viewing centres. I was in Gambia recently and watched almost all the matches in viewing centres with no trouble at all. Therefore the centres are not the problem, but the people inside them. Nigerians are just violent bastards. grin

maybe you have a point there
Re: Soccer Viewing Centers - Should They Be Banned? by dayokanu(m): 1:42pm On May 15, 2009
The problem usually arise when EPL matches are shown. We have a sizable number of Barca fans and I never see them fight or argue senselessly.

While I was in University whenever its time for La Liga or Canal Plus serie A, You hear insightful analysis and intelligent discourse but whenever its time for Premiership games all the low life gutter boys would come out. Most of them cant even speak English of argue coherently

All the shout is Up Sheesi or up Goners. I think EPL fans are the problems with viewing centers in Nigeria.

I know of a viewing center in Surulere around Shitta like 5 minutes away from National stadium, You are not allowed to say anything against Arsenal else you might lose your life. When you come in as part of your ticket they hand out IGBO(Weed) I am not Joking. Its at Babajide bus stop for anyone who knows that area.

EPL fans are uncontrollable and unruly but what do you expect from Chelsea and Arsenal fans other than disorderliness. The players, coach and fans are the same.

The solution is to stop showing EPL matches at viewing centers
. cool cool cool cool cool cool
Re: Soccer Viewing Centers - Should They Be Banned? by aieromon(m): 2:33pm On May 15, 2009
@dayokanu
u're kidding right.viewing centers make money off live premiership matches than any other league in the world.u're indirectly telling them to close shop
Re: Soccer Viewing Centers - Should They Be Banned? by lekside44(m): 3:00pm On May 15, 2009
naturally, these centres consitutes the copy rigths infrigiments of dstv and hitv. how ever, this is a country where there is a lot of poverty. we just have to allow this to make the poor also have a sence of belongings. i remember some years ago when this centres had not been, a fast food joint meant for maximum of about 15 people was beiseged by more than 2000 people. at first when thse people first stared comming, the resturance first taugth it was a good marketing day since almost every body boutgh at least a bottle of soft drink, but when the number exploded, the ownwer of the place invited the police. however, the police can do little since they claim to be their custommer and that was it. from then, the fast food banned their workers from turnning the decoders to stations showing sports.
these centres explosion did not really change the pressure. i remembered how i suffered watching the second round and quater final macthes of the current chaps. legue just because i intend watching about 2 to 3 matches together live. despite paying very high amount, i could hardly see the tv. people were so much that some were even beating up for not standing properly.
Re: Soccer Viewing Centers - Should They Be Banned? by tosinaded(m): 3:26pm On May 15, 2009
aieromon:

However,in recent weeks,people have clamored for the closure of these centers because it has been alleged that they attract people who are prone to violent conduct.

wut nonsense undecided
y not ask for the ban of football itself cos stadiums\stadia attract people who are prone to violence angry

dayokanu:

The problem usually arise when EPL matches are shown. We have a sizable number of Barca fans and I never see them fight or argue senselessly.
[\quote]

oga no dey talk wetin u no sabi jare!!!!!
ur point is obvviously myopic, which other part of the country av u watched matches in viewing centres!!!!
come to the north and see barca fans!!!! CRAAAZY HAUSA BARCA FANS!!!!!
all they know is barca !!!!! u needed to see when i was watching chelsea va barca, i was actually prayn for barca to equalise, cos 99% of the over 350 people were all quiet and boiling inside with anger!!!!!!!
when the goal came, the projector was smashed with joy!!!!!
Re: Soccer Viewing Centers - Should They Be Banned? by Redman44(m): 4:01pm On May 15, 2009
There is a need for some regulations to be introduced concerning the viewing centres. To be frank, most of the viewing centres we have in Nigeria are sub standard in nature. It is saddening that the owners of the soccer viewing centres do not make their outlets comfortable. They make money, yet they cannot buy new furniture and gadgets including bigger screens and fans. If a viewing centre is well furnished, it wont attract all kinds of people. Many of the current operators are not thinking deeply. There is no need for the soccer viewing centre operators to call in the Police for security purposes. They need to build up their own internal security teams.

In Britain, pubs and clubs have their own internal security teams. The Police is only invited when some criminals are picked up or when the situation gets too dangerous. I know the Nigerian Police Force is among the worst in the world, so why should we rely on them all the time We need to be ingenious in Nigeria. Sometimes, I wonder if the disease of shallow thinking has not descended on Nigeria. We cannot control small skirmishes at football viewing centres!! It is really ridiculous. Why can't the Viewing centre operators contact some jobless guys in the area, interview them to find out if they want to act as security guards, employ them and tell them what to do, supply them with a common t-shirt [ making them look responsible ] and pay them some money, even if it is small. This move will go a long way in bringing down the level of violence at the viewing centres.

The problem with the viewing centres is that the proprietors are greedy and don't want to spend money to make the services they are providing better. Some of them are also suffering from a poverty of the mind. Cheers.
Re: Soccer Viewing Centers - Should They Be Banned? by ogazi007(m): 4:34pm On May 15, 2009
dayokanu:

While I was in University whenever its time for La Liga or Canal Plus serie A, You hear insightful analysis and intelligent discourse but whenever its time for Premiership games all the low life gutter boys would come out. Most of them cant even speak English of argue coherently

All the shout is Up Sheesi or  up Goners. I think EPL fans are the problems with viewing centers in Nigeria.

I know of a viewing center in Surulere around Shitta like 5 minutes away from National stadium, You are not allowed to say anything against Arsenal else you might lose your life. When you come in as part of your ticket they hand out IGBO(Weed) I am not Joking. Its at Babajide bus stop for anyone who knows that area.

EPL fans are uncontrollable and unruly  but what do you expect from Chelsea and Arsenal fans other than disorderliness. The players, coach and fans are the same.

The solution is to stop showing EPL matches at viewing centers
.   cool cool cool cool cool cool
We have a sizable number of Barca fans and I never see them fight or argue senselessly.
correct bro!fc barcelona fans are peace loving people,footie is just a game,if we wins its all good,when we loses we just quietly go home with our head up and reflects on what had gone wrong in the game,and hope for a better day.

@poster!
its not possible to bann viewing centers in nigeria,besides almost all the restaurants and hotels are more or less  viewing centers.
i think we all have to abide  the sprit of sportsmanship,and have it at the back of our mind that  some folks are being paid millions of dollars to get us entertained.
we could be emotional when the results are not in our favour,but its absolutely uncalled for football fans to indulge in any form of altercation that could endangers their lives.the same level of aggression some folks displayed during political campaign is what we have started witnessing in viewing  centers.its only when u are doing well for urself that u can really appreciate that your life worth more than any football club.i think our government really need to do more to move many youth from the street,people are so frustrated that they can easily use bottle to tear ur head into pieces for not supporting their teams.
Re: Soccer Viewing Centers - Should They Be Banned? by bgees(m): 4:45pm On May 15, 2009
I kind of agree with Dayokanu. EPL matches have a greater chance of attracting violence. Too many touts supporting Man utd,Arsenal and Chelsea because these are the most popular among naija people. Infact i don't go to some viewing centres with my phone,wallet or wristwatch for d fear of mugging from those touts. Sometimes u can't celebrate a goal without watchin ur back. And u better watch how u argue or predict final scores because u just might pay for getting it right.
Also it is true that the average roadside viewing centre is crack den.

But there are some nice viewing centres around . Thats why they shouldn't be banned.
Re: Soccer Viewing Centers - Should They Be Banned? by Iyara(m): 5:29pm On May 15, 2009
Abeg make dem nor banned dem o! Na him we country people dey take forget our sorrow.

MOST places to watch ball in 9ja are generally trouble-free. Insecurity is bad for business. That said, trouble usually coughs before it roars. You'll generally have an idea when it's about to get ugly. My advise is to choose carefully. If for any reason you're not comfortable where you are, find somewhere else or bone the match. If you're somewhere alayes are smoking publicly, join them or cut out, FAST

@aieromon
I was also in Benin that day. One of the happiest days of my life. Plenty hotels dey G.R.A. where u for watch the match in peace.

@tosinaded
Help me tell them o. I served in Borno and na Real and Barca be them life. EPL is a distant second especially in the rural areas. And I have seen fight there because of La liga so no difference.
Re: Soccer Viewing Centers - Should They Be Banned? by darqly(m): 5:44pm On May 15, 2009
Well not ban them, it puts food on the table for some.
There are different categories- Once in Jos we went to Barcardi to catch a game. Twas almost like being in the director's box shocked
Tight guys, babes in branded jerseys, different teams all seated together sipping costly sauce and having a good time!!

When I served in Kano, in the HINTERLAND(peeps walk barefoot and still spend COINS in that village!!), I located a viewing centre where viewers sat on the bloody bare floor as the one bench available was for "VIP".

That said, tis fun watchin soccer with people, just be aware of the environment you're in.
If u must patronize a viewing centre, try not to be a cheapskate at the expense of ur security grin
Re: Soccer Viewing Centers - Should They Be Banned? by MrCrackles(m): 6:20pm On May 15, 2009
What we should have more of, is civilized enclosures like bars, pubs or auditoriums to watch sports collectively

Not the rubbish springing up in every nooks and crannies of Nigeria, called viewing centres

More like gathering for illiterates, jobless morons, thugs, prats and lunatics

I cant say a lot more regarding what they are like because i havnt been to one myself, but the pictures i have seen, are not encouraging at all!
Re: Soccer Viewing Centers - Should They Be Banned? by fyneguy: 6:27pm On May 15, 2009
grin

I guess we have one or 2 operators of the viewing centres in the house, by their posts we shall know them grin

Anyway, I dont support the ban. It'll be an overkill. The business should rather be regulated.
Re: Soccer Viewing Centers - Should They Be Banned? by walata44(m): 7:26pm On May 15, 2009

Is English your mother tongue? Your brain must have being colonise.
Re: Soccer Viewing Centers - Should They Be Banned? by naso2(m): 8:00pm On May 15, 2009
dayokanu:

Most of them cant even speak English of argue coherently

[/b]. cool cool cool cool cool cool

May be people should come with their WAEC certificates to the viewing centers or better still take a test in oral English before admission into the viewing centers.

I believe everybody has a right to happiness and the EPL is one(if ont only) means for a lot of nigerians (however ephemeral).

In Nigeria you can not compare the followership of the EPL to any other league, there are  lots of LA LIGA matches that people wont even watch for free , most times people show interest in matches that involve BARCA or REAL M. only.

As for the viewing centers , I must say that there are certain matches I chose not not watch in the comfort of my room, because some victories are not very enjoyable when you are alone. If I cant get friends to watch with I go to those viewing centers. From my findings things like betting must be stopped as I see it  as the main catalyst for fights. People bet on virtually everything- who wins the first throwing, who will get the first corner kick, first to score, etc

Expectedly the clubs with the highest followership have the highest number of hoodlums and this follows a global pattern. It is not a chelsea or arsenal thing.

Another angle to the fights in the centers is that it is a pointer to a  failed state with no job opportunities for the youth. To a lot of our young men out there ,identifying with a club gives them the only sense of belonging in society and an avenue to show their frustration on a  system (nigeria) that is not working.

The centers should not be banned period.
Re: Soccer Viewing Centers - Should They Be Banned? by mxtykal: 8:03pm On May 15, 2009
it is my humble opinion that soccer viewing centers should be banned. just ask a 10 year old about current transfers in the english premier league and he will tell you all you need to know but ask him about his school work and he begings by sratching his head.what nonsense,more over with the advent of viewing centers most people now spend more time praying for clubs to win matches and forgetting about themselves.the worst is that of a fool who killed himself because arsenal lost to man u.this madness has got to stop
Re: Soccer Viewing Centers - Should They Be Banned? by BenHundred(m): 8:23pm On May 15, 2009
It shouldn't be banned. Its just an appreciation and support of soccer, so what if people get a little drunk its all fun. Once again get your nerves out your asses people.
Re: Soccer Viewing Centers - Should They Be Banned? by Nobody: 8:25pm On May 15, 2009
Well, i'm kind of suprised that these things happen at public places.

I usually watch matches at home though.
When its a star match, my hubby or in-law usually drag me out.
Nothing like having the 'stadium effect'.  

We usually watch it at places where the prices of drinks is higher, perhaps thats why i have'nt seen people fighting.
That goes to disprove the liquor theory. Rather, the problem is the caliber of people that go to these centers.

Anyhow, not everybody can afford satlite fees. Banning it is not the solution.
If you can't stand the rancour. then don't watch. Millions should not be denied the little joy there is in this Country.
Re: Soccer Viewing Centers - Should They Be Banned? by kaym2: 8:33pm On May 15, 2009
crazy guys

(1) (2) (Reply)

Swaggericious Burkina-faso's Bance So Much On Point (picture) / Confederation Cup: Japan Vs Mexico (1 - 2) On 22nd June 2013 / All Africa Games Nigeria Vs Senegal

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.