Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,366 members, 7,822,726 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 03:47 PM

Buhari's Big Ministerial Appointment Mistake - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari's Big Ministerial Appointment Mistake (65539 Views)

Mambila Power: Buhari’s Big Bang Project Set To Take Off By Garba Shehu / Another Big Ministerial Flop In Buhari's Government / 'How Cabals In The Presidency Hijacked Buhari’s Ministerial Appointment' - SDC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Buhari's Big Ministerial Appointment Mistake by toluboy: 4:44pm On Nov 11, 2015
Lordave:
With the history of poor, erratic and unsteady power supply associated with past governments, even Maitama residents would be anticipating the APC trademark 'Change' to sweep across the ministry of power and somehow or anyhow solve the problem of nonexistent power supply in most parts of the country.
Alas, Buhari, today decided to name former Lagos State governor, Mr Raji Babatunde Fashola as the minister of merged former Ministries of Power, Works and Housing.
From a progressive perspective every sensible Nigerian would agree that this is a very big mistake from our president. The ministry of Work and Housing alone is a deserving ministry for a person of Fashola's calibre and administrative prowess to pilot, likewise Power. Heading the Ministry of Works and Housing in Nigeria is very cumbersome and almost equivalent to the numerous tasks he faced as the Governor of Lagos State were he had commissioners who were accountable to him, let alone Power being added to this workload of a Portfolio.
I'm tempted to ask, did Buhari seek advice and make proper consultation before handing these merged portfolio to Mr Fashola? If he did, what were his findings? Which people supported his merging of these ministries?(they should be named so we can know those who indirectly oppose our progress)
In a nutshell, it was unexpected, unprogressive, nonsensical and most especially, unacceptable merging of this work laden ministries and handing it over to one man considering the immediate change Nigerians are expecting in the power sector. Buhari should separate this ministries and make Mr Fashola a minister to one of them.

It would be inevitable hearing APC faithfuls say, "after all it is merged ministry, and as such presents a herculean task to the government in bringing a reasonable level of change to what we had in the previous administrations who are responsible for the majority of ruins in the ministries.

WE DO NOT WANT EXCUSES!

i disagree with you bro. being the governor of the economic capital of Nigeria, overseeing all the state ministries, the problems he faced for 8 years would ordinarily have prepared him for this tasks. He has the experience....He will do well
Re: Buhari's Big Ministerial Appointment Mistake by PassingShot(m): 4:45pm On Nov 11, 2015
Lordave:
Nobody is looking down on Fashola. Power alone is enough for him to win the people's heart the more if he can successfully fix all the mess we have been witnessing.

You say LAgos state? Did he fix power issue in 3000 square kilometres Lagos with just around 20m people?

Power isn't like aviation or agriculture that affects just a percentage of the country, he will be dealing with 170m people and that is enough already, but why adding another burden?
You got no point. The president has done as he deems right and he bears all responsibilities. Quit moaning!
Re: Buhari's Big Ministerial Appointment Mistake by Lordave: 4:46pm On Nov 11, 2015
jomoh:

I beg to disagree bro.

Power, works and housing may seem huge but but the fact is still that it will have permsecs, and senior member of the ministries, and heads of different departments which makes it look similar but smaller in nature to a state that has up to 20commisioners.

If fasola could handle the most complex metropolitan city in Africa and one on the most complex in the world, I think these three he can do well.

To remind you.

Lagos state had under it,

Transport(almost as complex as federal roads).

Security (more complex than any other state in Nigeria and even more than some regions).

Commerce (bigger than that of NC, NE)

Works

Housing (more complex than NE, NC)

Finance

And a host of others that are more complex than that of some regions.

Fasola handled them. I'm sure he should be able to manage them.

The only one I think PMB fumbled is the James Ocholi of a guy. Though the guy seems very passionate about PMBs success but after reading the guy's antecedents and clients, he deserves nothing close to our judiciary.

Then again, I trust PMB to boot him out if he fumbles.
20 million people is not 170 million people.

Hope you know Works and Housing and Power directly affect the live of every Nigerian

1 Like

Re: Buhari's Big Ministerial Appointment Mistake by Lordave: 4:58pm On Nov 11, 2015
dheolexaone:

I believe strongly in d saying dt enemy of progress can never go into extinct. I can only see @op trying to gain fame n audience. One of d factors dt hinder d smooth running of d government is wen d masses condemn every act put forward. For once, Nigerians, let's be supportive n wait for results rather than sit down wt grades of qualifications writing n posting against d government. I'm not suppose to comment on d thread buh seriously @op needs a good orientation.

By d way, has #barcanister been listed as d minister of online APC haters?

*Continu in Patience's voice. Minister of power might end up bn at ur doorstep. #ONIRANU
You support an indirect neglect on what has a great effect on your life?

What do you mean?
Re: Buhari's Big Ministerial Appointment Mistake by basty: 4:59pm On Nov 11, 2015
What do you known about governance? how a clerical person in a one man business be saying PMB made mistake in his appointments?
Re: Buhari's Big Ministerial Appointment Mistake by Eziachi: 4:59pm On Nov 11, 2015
Acidosis:
Power Issues in Nigeria cannot be fixed in 10years.

Obj and Jonathan have set a landmark by reforming the power sector. Thr call for Power Sector reform in Nigeria came in too late, some countries like Netherlands, Denmark, India among others began the so called IPP journey 30-50 years ago. Ours only began FULLY in the Jonathan administration that paved way for Abuja Electricity Distribution Company, IEDC, BEDC, among others.i

Fashola only needs to ride on the effort of Jonathan viz the IPP capacity. He has no excuse to fail.

The era of NEPA is over. The Denmark version of NEPA was terminated some 50 years ago.

A little Research can enlighten all and change our mentality in this country. The level of illiteracy is so high.
Just because it took the pioneers many years, therefore it has to take you that long. That's why they are called the pioneers because during their time, they got no one to copy or learn from hers mistakes.
Just because people use mobile phones as the size of transistor radio does not mean you have to now
Re: Buhari's Big Ministerial Appointment Mistake by Zaikon(m): 5:04pm On Nov 11, 2015
braine:

Seconded. It would be sheer hatred to dispute that.
I follow you with sense ... don't mind OP if Fash happen to be his uncle the story will never come this way
Re: Buhari's Big Ministerial Appointment Mistake by tufur24(m): 5:05pm On Nov 11, 2015
Mind you those ministries are yet to be merged. I think Fash has a herculean task that could give him grey hair in few months. Power Works and housing is were our economy revolves around. Giving a single person that to manage is disastrous.

1 Like

Re: Buhari's Big Ministerial Appointment Mistake by Nobody: 5:05pm On Nov 11, 2015
OPs brain developed in a testube. Im not surprised undecided
Re: Buhari's Big Ministerial Appointment Mistake by awesome11(m): 5:11pm On Nov 11, 2015
How progressive were the sectors when they were under separate ministries? Administrative cumbersomeness does not in anyway translate to its ineffectiveness. All he has to do is to provide strategic leadership and an administrative structure that is robust as well as sustainable!
Re: Buhari's Big Ministerial Appointment Mistake by Akiika: 5:12pm On Nov 11, 2015
Nothing but myopia and close mindedness is exhibited by the post. Sorry!, no more wastage. This is exactly what Buhari took his time studying, i'm sure he did his homework. Just wait for the results.
Re: Buhari's Big Ministerial Appointment Mistake by Lordave: 5:13pm On Nov 11, 2015
Guk:

I read your treatise from top to bottom and would therefore like to point out aa few things

(1) There was a Steve Orosanye report during GEJ's regime that recommended merging and collapsing of MDAs which on analysis was applauded by all and sundry. Now, PMB implements it, u are angry......na wa o!

(2) Power: BRF, through PPP, provided constant Power supply to Lagos Island and Alausa using Diesel plant and Gas respectively. Over and over again, APC had mentioned that they will adopt the template of LASG for Fed Govt, so, why can it be wrong to put a man with the implementation experience there?

(3) Housing: Put all the states in Nigeria together, they did not build any where near the number of housing units BRF delivered. We have middle level employees in companies now owning houses in Lagos cos of BRF.

(4) Works: for those who live in Lagos, it's was obvious that BRF was a Project and Implementation delivery Gov....he delivered Water works; initiated transport alleviation projects(Metro rail; Cable Car; Private Taxi Cabs; opened up Lekki and Badagry) so. Works is not a big deal. He has the experience

(5) His style of management has clearly shown that he can manage many more ministries sef as he would have Perm Secretaries and Department Directors and heads of parastatals to work with.

Begin to look out for real change within the next 18months
Are you kidding me?
Re: Buhari's Big Ministerial Appointment Mistake by ndigbo: 5:13pm On Nov 11, 2015
malton:
You're irredeemably myopic and skew-sighted if you see anything wrong with the merging. Enemies within!

Merging these ministries will make for efficiency and bring into perspective activities of ministries which hitherto cannot be accounted for. There's need to bring them under one umbrella for effective management and control in a bid to reduce cost, both financial and those that cannot be monetised.

Fash performed excellently at state level, I don't see why the assigned portfolio should be too much for him. If anything, it demonstrates the faith Mr president has in him and his abilities.

Dire moments call for drastic measures!

Simple ! you couldn't have said it any better.
Re: Buhari's Big Ministerial Appointment Mistake by Chuksxyview(m): 5:15pm On Nov 11, 2015
[quote author=Lordave post=39909640]I wasn't expecting you to easily comprehend what I meant.

I mean say the merged ministries dey too much for one man, e go slow the process of change and we fit remain like this after Buhari leaves

He is deemed credible based on his records we know. So, less just believe in him and everyone of the co-change ministers, I just want to see the best 'CHANGE' APC-led government can and would give the citizens. All we need do is support and pray for them and our nation. Pax!
Re: Buhari's Big Ministerial Appointment Mistake by phemray(m): 5:15pm On Nov 11, 2015
Lordave:
With the history of poor, erratic and unsteady power supply associated with past governments, even Maitama residents would be anticipating the APC trademark 'Change' to sweep across the ministry of power and somehow or anyhow solve the problem of nonexistent power supply in most parts of the country.
Alas, Buhari, today decided to name former Lagos State governor, Mr Raji Babatunde Fashola as the minister of merged former Ministries of Power, Works and Housing.
From a progressive perspective every sensible Nigerian would agree that this is a very big mistake from our president. The ministry of Work and Housing alone is a deserving ministry for a person of Fashola's calibre and administrative prowess to pilot, likewise Power. Heading the Ministry of Works and Housing in Nigeria is very cumbersome and almost equivalent to the numerous tasks he faced as the Governor of Lagos State were he had commissioners who were accountable to him, let alone Power being added to this workload of a Portfolio.
I'm tempted to ask, did Buhari seek advice and make proper consultation before handing these merged portfolio to Mr Fashola? If he did, what were his findings? Which people supported his merging of these ministries?(they should be named so we can know those who indirectly oppose our progress)
In a nutshell, it was unexpected, unprogressive, nonsensical and most especially, unacceptable merging of this work laden ministries and handing it over to one man considering the immediate change Nigerians are expecting in the power sector. Buhari should separate this ministries and make Mr Fashola a minister to one of them.

It would be inevitable hearing APC faithfuls say, "after all it is merged ministry, and as such presents a herculean task to the government in bringing a reasonable level of change to what we had in the previous administrations who are responsible for the majority of ruins in the ministries.

WE DO NOT WANT EXCUSES!
@op wake up people DAT are more knowledgeable Dan u are reading ur writeup,
with honesty n dedication of d leader, d 3 ministries will deliver.
I know well info about d 3 ministries n fashola style of project execution, he will surely delivered. results are his targets.
take it 4rm me, soon filling stations will do promos- buy 1 liter get 1 liter free @ 30/lyre, phcn will introduce different promo cards to encourage payment of NEPA bill, intact with what kemi adeosun did in Ogun, then to get C of O in Nigeria will be easier n prices of properties will come down n be affordable etc
change is here!!!!!!!
Re: Buhari's Big Ministerial Appointment Mistake by ENZOSCIFO1: 5:19pm On Nov 11, 2015
Lordave:
Are you kidding me?

Going by your position, then Nigeria shouldn't be governed by a single President if the Min. of Power, House and Housing cant be supervised by one minister!

Abi is the work to be done in Nigeria not greater than that of the ministry?
Re: Buhari's Big Ministerial Appointment Mistake by Lordave: 5:21pm On Nov 11, 2015
PassingShot:

You got no point. The president has done as he deems right and he bears all responsibilities. Quit moaning!
Oh! I forgot it's PassingShot, aka Mr EverythingBuhariDoesIsRight
Re: Buhari's Big Ministerial Appointment Mistake by DrHighchief(m): 5:24pm On Nov 11, 2015
braine:

Seconded. It would be sheer hatred to dispute that.
Thirded lol
God Bless Nigeria
Re: Buhari's Big Ministerial Appointment Mistake by barajo1(m): 5:28pm On Nov 11, 2015
Ppl will just pickup their phone and start typing rubbish. Na ur papa he for make minister of power abi? plssss receive sense !!
Re: Buhari's Big Ministerial Appointment Mistake by Observant: 5:42pm On Nov 11, 2015
Very healthy appointments.
I like the merging aspect
Re: Buhari's Big Ministerial Appointment Mistake by billyG(m): 5:45pm On Nov 11, 2015
Lordave:
There is no big deal with clamouring for Fashola to get either of those offices, but handling both of them, surely, will have a lot of distractions which can directly slow down the change needed in those ministries.

Please, No hard feelings for Fashola.
U want to help him handle d ministries?
Re: Buhari's Big Ministerial Appointment Mistake by menxer: 5:50pm On Nov 11, 2015
What a misleading headline!

@OP, The President in his wisdom has done what he and his advisers think is in the country's best interest, would it had made any difference if you were consulted?
Re: Buhari's Big Ministerial Appointment Mistake by Kazrem(m): 5:51pm On Nov 11, 2015
These are the people that would say Fashola would be the best person for works if he was appointed as power only and vice versa. Now that PMB combined the 3 they are complaining work overload. Wetin one go do wey wailers no go wail.

2 Likes

Re: Buhari's Big Ministerial Appointment Mistake by jomoh: 5:51pm On Nov 11, 2015
Lordave:
20 million people is not 170 million people.

Hope you know Works and Housing and Power directly affect the live of every Nigerian

Yes I know. That is why it is called FEDERAL?

And he will have more resource, more investors, more funds, more grants.

Actually being a Governor presents more challenges than being a minister because you really don't have to bother about balancing all the other sector like revenue, security etc.

Anyone that can effectively manage Lagos state as the most ethnically diverse state in Nigeria can manage the whole country. You don't need any special training because of the population difference.

2 Likes

Re: Buhari's Big Ministerial Appointment Mistake by billyG(m): 5:52pm On Nov 11, 2015
irondome:

I am staunch supporter of Buhari and I am inclined to agree with you on this. Fashola would definitely be overwhelmed and may not deliver on either of the ministry.
Dnt be taken Panadol xtra 4 fashola headache or else u will DIE young.

1 Like

Re: Buhari's Big Ministerial Appointment Mistake by Nobody: 5:54pm On Nov 11, 2015
hob:
We just need to pray for them
n I pray dat whatever u touch,,it will turn into gold in Jesus name...its hard to find people who reason with sense like u on nairaland...God Bless YOU n God Bless Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Buhari's Big Ministerial Appointment Mistake by decub: 6:02pm On Nov 11, 2015
dongodfrey:
I think is high time we Nigerians put sentiments apart and for once appreciates what PMB has done
Fash is the best person for the work bro even before now those are the offices most Nigerians has being clamoring he gets so what's your problem?
I don't think you got his (OP) message. There was no sentiment in what he said, just saying it is a rather huge task to have merged both portfolios (which are individually cumbersome) and handed over to one man.

In as much as I pray for his success, I also think it would have been fair enough to have left those ministries as distinct as they were cos you make something better from a challenging but concentrated task than multi tasking, talk more of huge multi task.
Re: Buhari's Big Ministerial Appointment Mistake by miqos02(m): 6:04pm On Nov 11, 2015
Lordave:

I no blame you, perhaps, you haven't sold enough garden egg today.
for where im dey sell am?

1 Like

Re: Buhari's Big Ministerial Appointment Mistake by Guk: 6:07pm On Nov 11, 2015
Lordave:
Are you kidding me?

Yes, Am kidding you!!! Even Jimi Agbaje PDP Gov candidate said BRF did not do enough by building 26,000 housing units.

Lagos State has a website wt all d fully built houses there. Scores of people have won the houses. 540 units on Monastery road, Sangotedo Lekki, Hundreds inside Lekki Phase 2 before you get to Ajah roundabout in Lekki ; another set at Lekki 3rs about. Thousands of apartment at Ilubirin by Dolphin IKOYI.

A simple gogling of Lagos houses will educate u
Re: Buhari's Big Ministerial Appointment Mistake by menxer: 6:18pm On Nov 11, 2015
What a way to reason, Fashola overwhelm by work load?

Oooh, because PMB didn't consult you means he didn't consult those knowledgeable in such matters?

Apart from being a PMB supporter, I believe "he that is faithful in little is faithful in much".

When I was in secondary school, I did 16 subjects in a term, and scaled through all, on getting to university I did between 6-8 courses in a semester, why would I complain of workload in university?

Lordave:

WE DO NOT WANT EXCUSES!
Re: Buhari's Big Ministerial Appointment Mistake by wiseoneking: 6:24pm On Nov 11, 2015
malton:
You're irredeemably myopic and skew-sighted if you see anything wrong with the merging. Enemies within!

Merging these ministries will make for efficiency and bring into perspective activities of ministries which hitherto cannot be accounted for. There's need to bring them under one umbrella for effective management and control in a bid to reduce cost, both financial and those that cannot be monetised.

Fash performed excellently at state level, I don't see why the assigned portfolio should be too much for him. If anything, it demonstrates the faith Mr president has in him and his abilities.

Dire moments call for drastic measures!
Fash perform excellently in lagos? Where are you living? In the moon. People are presently shouting down on Ambode about the poor state of roads which your fash just left 6 months ago. If na planting of flower, the man go do it tire.

1 Like

Re: Buhari's Big Ministerial Appointment Mistake by AJOT99(m): 6:25pm On Nov 11, 2015
janeworld247:
k

OLE!! !! !!!!!! !! But when will you stop scamming pple?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Aisha Yesufu Wears Hijab To Gym, Replies Critics (Video) / Babachir David Lawal, The SGF: Profile And Photo / Jonathan’s Letter On Constitution Amendment Shocks Senate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.