Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,276 members, 7,815,466 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:48 PM

Dear Guys; You Have Nothing To Prove. - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Dear Guys; You Have Nothing To Prove. (7106 Views)

Powerful Pics From The 2018 Birth Photo Competition Prove That Moms Are Awesome / My Wife Need To Prove She Don't Sleep Arround B4 I Can Make Love To Her Again / ‘my Wife Must Swear In My Village To Prove Her Faithfulness (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dear Guys; You Have Nothing To Prove. by MizMyColi(f): 3:49pm On Nov 11, 2015
“A real man is able to take his woman around the world at a drop of a hat”

“A real man is able to pay my bills and give me the good things of life”

“Darling! everyone knows a real man is at least 4-5 inches default”

“A real man is employed”

“A real man does not cry”

These messages (and more like it) shape the mind of the sincere (howbeit naive) male and thus begins his quest to become a “real man”. and then years later, he wonders why he is so stressed, restless and often depressed.

Before I passed out last night, a 2 line poem wafted into my mind and it goes thus:

www.nairaland.com/attachments/3063277_dotun_jpegb28e72440e5eb6126d7ac929aa7dd7e9

Dear reader I have come to the conclusion that the typical male is under pressure. A lot of pressure. Pressure to meet standards that the society has determined he must meet to be validated. Those that rise up to these these standards are acclaimed and celebrated and those that do not are derided and labeled and used as examples of what “not to be”

The tragedy of all this is that these standards are ultimately a setup for failure. This is because they are ever-changing and subjective as hell and the male will eventually meet someone (or some people) who will consider him not “Man enough” or even “Man at all” and not “worthy of any validation” notwithstanding his efforts.

Don’t believe me?

Well then, think of the lady who mocks the guy as a “broke ass nigga” because he can’t afford to give her the high-class lifestyle she desires. Think of the people who see this male (despite his numerous achievements) as not even human because he is of a particular skin color, religion or caste. Think of the way society regards the unemployed (for reasons beyond his control) male.

And thus the man finds himself “failing” to meet up and shame is stirred up on the inside and needles him constantly and what happens is that he either turns inwards and berates himself for not being enough (one of the ingredients of suicide) or he turns it outwards and lashes out at any one or reminder of his “failure” (insert acts of aggression, cruelty, envy and abuse here) I read a book years back where the author narrated a story of a young couple. The husband was a loving, gentle and most amiable man but all that changed when he lost his job and was unable to secure another. His wife noted how he became moody, withdrawn and how he would no longer make love to her but would rather masturbate in bathroom. Things eventually came to a head when they were out driving one day and they had a slight collision with another male driver. The wife was shocked at how despite the little to no damage, her husband flew into a rage, tore of his shirt and engaged the “offending” driver in a very very public brawl.

It makes you wonder doesn’t it? As a man where does your sense of being lie? where do you look for validation? In a job? in your bank account? In your sexual prowess? In your physique? Living this way is no life at all in my opinion and will only perpetuate cycles of dysfunction in our lives and relationships.

So here is my counsel (if you choose to accept it)

Dear sir, realize today that you have nothing to prove to anyone. You are not a real Man because you have a job and can afford a lavish lifestyle. You are not a real Man because you look a certain way or have a certain amount in your bank account. You are not a real Man because you are married with kids. You are not a real Man because you are of a stoic nature and didn’t shed a tear when the titanic went down.

No

You sir are a Real Man simply because you are. Because you exist. You live and you have nothing to prove to anyone. Your validation is on the inside. You need no ones permission to relish in yourself. You will meet people who will consider you “not Man enough” or “not Man at all” and will attempt to label you but that is their issue and not yours. What is vital for Your life is not what they see but what You see.

Dear Man, you can spend the rest of your days vainly seeking to fill a social construct of what you should be or you can realize today that you already are.

Consider your ways.

Bless you.
https://wordsmithf./2015/11/10/you-sir-have-nothing-to-prove/

cc Lalasticlala Obinsocopy

29 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Dear Guys; You Have Nothing To Prove. by dubylhover(m): 4:01pm On Nov 11, 2015
NYC writeup tho,but we don't need anyone to "assure" us or make us confident...a lion is not bothered about d opinion of a sheep.mia sa mia.."we are who we are"...

we always recognize ourselves

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dear Guys; You Have Nothing To Prove. by Nobody: 4:11pm On Nov 11, 2015
Reminds me of that Flavour's song
To be a man is not a day's job...

Coli they said they no need validation, only lazy men do_ they ain't lazy. Take it all back... grin

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Dear Guys; You Have Nothing To Prove. by Nobody: 4:11pm On Nov 11, 2015
dubylhover:
NYC writeup tho,but we don't need anyone to "assure" us or make us confident....mia sa mia.."we are who we are"...

we always recognize ourselves

Bro you just spoke my mind. smiley

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Dear Guys; You Have Nothing To Prove. by wordbank(m): 4:12pm On Nov 11, 2015
I don dey tell PapaNnamdi ds tin him think say na to marry MamaNnamdi born 2 dozens of children still dey worry Linda Ikeji to consider him junior broda
Re: Dear Guys; You Have Nothing To Prove. by MizMyColi(f): 4:15pm On Nov 11, 2015
grin
Kachisbarbie:
Re: Dear Guys; You Have Nothing To Prove. by Nobody: 4:44pm On Nov 11, 2015
Una see am....
Re: Dear Guys; You Have Nothing To Prove. by Tallesty1(m): 4:49pm On Nov 11, 2015
Ihe uwa adiro eazy.
Re: Dear Guys; You Have Nothing To Prove. by bukatyne(f): 5:03pm On Nov 11, 2015
Kachisbarbie:

It's okay to say one doesn't need any validation from another human, but it doesn't change the fact that no one is an island. Deep down is us, we all crave to be appreciated by our loved ones and probably the society at large.

I would implore my fellow women to affirm their man while he's "stretching", be his personal cheerleader. Don't wait till he wins the race, affirm every single step.

Extremely true smiley

I read a book, will open a thread (anytime from now to 2050 grin), and one of a man's (husband's) needs is appreciation...

Another book my mother bought for me yearssssssss back said a husband needs..

1. Adoration
2. Admiration
3. Adaptation...

2 Likes

Re: Dear Guys; You Have Nothing To Prove. by bukatyne(f): 5:03pm On Nov 11, 2015

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Dear Guys; You Have Nothing To Prove. by Nobody: 5:06pm On Nov 11, 2015
MizMyColi:
grin

You no know the song? grin

bukatyne:

Extremely true smiley

I read a book, will open a thread (anytime from now to 2050 grin), and one of a man's (husband's) needs is appreciation...

Another book my mother bought for me yearssssssss back said a husband needs..

1. Adoration
2. Admiration
3. Adaptation...

Lols, this one na the THREE As, nothing more to add. There are times they annoy us o, but we still have to acknowledge that they try their best.

ADORATION, its importance can't be overemphasized.

2 Likes

Re: Dear Guys; You Have Nothing To Prove. by LarrySun(m): 5:36pm On Nov 11, 2015
Whatever anyone thinks about me is none of my business. I've got nothing to prove to anyone.

*In Sinatra's voice* I DID IT MY WAY!

Thanks, 'Coli, for this post.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Dear Guys; You Have Nothing To Prove. by Stillfire: 5:43pm On Nov 11, 2015
Kachisbarbie:
It's okay to say one doesn't need any validation from another human, but it doesn't change the fact that no one is an island. Deep down is us, we all crave to be appreciated by our loved ones and probably the society at large.
I would implore my fellow women to affirm their man while he's "stretching", be his personal cheerleader. Don't wait till he wins the race, affirm every single step.

Yeah humans are social beings. I think the right frame of words should be external validation should not trump ones self worth. Or better still a balance of the two.

njokusboy:
Una see am....

So where are you feeling pressured? Let us help you overcome it. cheesy I hope it's not a matter of having 7 inches worth of penile meat, because no help for you there o. Hehehehe grin grin grin
Re: Dear Guys; You Have Nothing To Prove. by Nobody: 5:45pm On Nov 11, 2015
Stillfire:

Yeah humans are social beings. I think the right frame of words should be external validation should not trump ones self worth. Or better still a balance of the two .

Thank you!!!
You just help me package the grammar well.
Re: Dear Guys; You Have Nothing To Prove. by Nobody: 5:47pm On Nov 11, 2015
Stillfire:

So where are you feeling pressured? Let us help you overcome it. cheesy I hope it's not a matter of having 7 inches worth of penile meat, because no help for you there o. Hehehehe grin grin grin

grin grin grin
The op has listed them nah...
But since I don't feed on other pples validation, I don't bother about it... I don't need help, its no pressure...
As for the meat shocked shocked
Na God put am for there, na still God dey give the strength to carry am
Re: Dear Guys; You Have Nothing To Prove. by JigsawKillah(m): 5:48pm On Nov 11, 2015
Rudepen

you FÛCKING JEW!!!
Re: Dear Guys; You Have Nothing To Prove. by joseph1832(m): 5:53pm On Nov 11, 2015
Hian! All this is totally irreverent. Honestly, its starting to sound like a broken record. I'll always say this: "Know Thyself". Anybody who fail to know his/herself will always find his/herself at the receiving end of such nonsense like what the OP posted.

3 Likes

Re: Dear Guys; You Have Nothing To Prove. by Chubhie: 5:56pm On Nov 11, 2015
Growing up then one of our uncles used to tell us that to be a man you must spend time in a Nigerian prison.

Although he was a good bad guy but he never visited a Nigerian prison, I took it upon myself to prove him wrong and stay clear of anything that could lead me even to a police cell until I got the epiphany that he likened the struggle to being an ideal real man to a Nigerian prison stay.

I understand that the degrees of pressures varies amongst adult Nigerian males. But truth be told a man who can't provide for his family is considered an infidel.
Re: Dear Guys; You Have Nothing To Prove. by Nobody: 5:57pm On Nov 11, 2015
Erm, yes one is a real man in terms of existence, but in terms of being a quality man, there's a lot of requirements that must be met. That's basically the dichotomy between a man and a man.

And man knows he doesn't need public praise to know he's a man. He just does.
Re: Dear Guys; You Have Nothing To Prove. by Ewuro4: 5:57pm On Nov 11, 2015
Stillfire:

Yeah humans are social beings. I think the right frame of words should be external validation should not trump ones self worth .

Hmm you're mean oh! ... So you know this all this while but still went ahead to cause katakata on the other thread? You're def on a mission.

On a serious note: @bold is a priceless life lesson.
Re: Dear Guys; You Have Nothing To Prove. by Chubhie: 6:00pm On Nov 11, 2015
LarrySun:
Whatever anyone thinks about me is none of my business. I've got nothing to prove to anyone.

That's my all time favourite song you got there. That's how I wish to check out from this short existence once my job is done.
Re: Dear Guys; You Have Nothing To Prove. by SeverusSnape(m): 6:03pm On Nov 11, 2015
LarrySun:

"And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain, my friend, I'll say it clear, I'll state my case of which I'm certain... "

"... I ate it up and spit it out, I faced it all, and I stood tall, and did it myyyy wayyyyyy"

I so much love Frank Sinatra, I'm glad I found someone who likes him too. His songs are so deep
You be correct guy.
cool

Nice post MizMyColi smiley

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Dear Guys; You Have Nothing To Prove. by SeverusSnape(m): 6:10pm On Nov 11, 2015
Chubhie:
That's my all time favourite songs you got there. That's how I wish to check out from this short existence once my job is done.
Brosssss... I like that song pass you. cheesy

**GRABS my phone to play 'my way'**
Re: Dear Guys; You Have Nothing To Prove. by Chubhie: 6:19pm On Nov 11, 2015
njokusboy:

grin grin grin
The op has listed them nah...
But since I don't feed on other pples validation, I don't bother about it... I don't need help, its no pressure...
As for the meat shocked shocked
Na God put am for there, na still God dey give the strength to carry am
I once thought I was immuned until I set off as a youngman to find my place in this world. I floated my first business and within 10months folded up partly due to Nigerian system and some fault on my part as an inexperienced young gun.

My Manhood was questioned, people who on a normal day couldn't look me in the eye found the strength to do so. A babe who used to serve my food kneeling down outta Love and Respect walked.
I saw it first hand!!! I knew it can only take a guy like me few years to get my groove back. I went back to drawing board a designed a better version and reclaimed my Manhood. It thought me a huge lesson about humans.

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Dear Guys; You Have Nothing To Prove. by lilmax(m): 6:23pm On Nov 11, 2015
Anyway make i nor talk sef
Re: Dear Guys; You Have Nothing To Prove. by Chubhie: 6:25pm On Nov 11, 2015
SeverusSnape:

Brosssss... I like that song pass you. cheesy

**GRABS my phone to play 'my way'**
Una bad o. I think I'm normal now cos I was already feeling like an alien.
Re: Dear Guys; You Have Nothing To Prove. by SeverusSnape(m): 6:33pm On Nov 11, 2015
Chubhie:
Una bad o. I think I'm normal now cos I was already feeling like an alien.
Hahaha... My brother not only you. Because most people (especially the youths like us) don't like that genre of music, Anytime they see me listening to Sinatra, they're like "which kind ancient song be this? undecided " grin. I once sent one of his songs "As time goes by" to a friend of mine, She was just laughing.

But seriously, Those are the songs the present generation should be listening to.
Re: Dear Guys; You Have Nothing To Prove. by Chubhie: 6:50pm On Nov 11, 2015
SeverusSnape:

Hahaha... My brother not only you. Because most people (especially the youths like us) don't like that genre of music, Anytime they see me listening to Sinatra, they're like "which kind ancient song be this? undecided " grin. I once sent one of his songs "As time goes by" to a friend of mine, She was just laughing.

But seriously, Those are the songs the present generation should be listening to.
I guess they would get their own epiphany someday.
Re: Dear Guys; You Have Nothing To Prove. by naijaboiy: 7:34pm On Nov 11, 2015
Interesting read I must say.

This how you'll know the difference between a woman and a girl. See how the women on this thread have talked about this issue in a way a man won't feel less of himself. Very maturely.

Not like all those small small girls in romance section. The only thing they know is "broke ass guy" "Ready made man". That is the reason why I keep taunting them. cheesy

Yeye girls gringringrin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Dear Guys; You Have Nothing To Prove. by BoiGrammz: 7:39pm On Nov 11, 2015
Kachisbarbie:

where have you been hiding?? :/ cheesy
Re: Dear Guys; You Have Nothing To Prove. by Nobody: 7:57pm On Nov 11, 2015
Nice one Mz. your posts are always captivating

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dear Guys; You Have Nothing To Prove. by cococandy(f): 8:40pm On Nov 11, 2015
Exactly mizzy.

A real man may be strong.
A real can't show weakness
A real man must not cry.
Bla bla bla.

So they hide real human emotions and act out in other ways that are sometimes detrimental.

It does more damage than good to the psyche of growing boy.

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Just For My Elder Sister / My Friend's Wife Lied For 7 Years / 40-year Old Mother Pregnant For Son, Ready To Marry Him

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.