Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,620 members, 7,813,037 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 05:27 AM

Mass Arrest: Nigeria Demands Details From Us - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Mass Arrest: Nigeria Demands Details From Us (1381 Views)

Lagos School Abduction: Kidnapper Demands N20m Per Student.. / Ikorodu Bank Robbers Arrested (Details Of The Arrest) / Orekoya's Update: Nanny Demands N15M For Kidnapped Children (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Mass Arrest: Nigeria Demands Details From Us by JJYOU: 9:48am On May 16, 2009
[size=18pt]Mass arrest: Nigeria demands details from US[/size]
By Agency Reporter
Published: Saturday, 16 May 2009

Nigeria is demanding from the United States of America government details of the arrest of about 40 Nigerians based in New York metropolitan area they were picked up randomly on Thursday as part of what New York City authorities called the dismantling of an “international credit card and identity theft fraud ring.”

Empowered Newswire, a US-based Nigerian news agency reports that a press release from the District Attorney’s office for Queens County (under New York City) late on Thursday said in the last one year alone this group of Nigerians and their American collaborators had engaged in fraud estimated at $12million.

Twenty-two of the over 40 alleged criminals have already been arraigned at a New York Supreme Court.

But the Nigerian government has responded through the Consul General at the Nigerian Consulate in New York, Mr. Ibrahim Auwalu. According to him, New York authorities are yet to alert the Nigerian Embassy about the developments.

Auwalu added that once the Nigerian Embassy was alerted and informed by the New York authorities, the embassy would seek to have access to the detained Nigerians and “confirm their bonafides.”

Auwalu said if they were indeed Nigerians, the embassy would indeed visit them in detention. ”We owe them that responsibility as Nigerians,” he added.

Queens District Attorney, Richard A. Brown, joined by Police Commissioner, Raymond W. Kelly, on Thursday announced the indictment and busting of 45 people in the international forged credit card and identity theft ring based in the New York metropolitan area “with roots in Nigeria.” http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art2009051615252237

Comments:

* just read all these comments, someone is making a case for abiola.i felt bad when june 12 election was annuled then i was a younger, pls tell me what was abiola input to 9ja as questionable wealthy as he was.nothing only marrying uncountable wives and having kids as well,making overtures with his enemies that later killed him.i am not supported any fool even if u are my bro if u steal our money to people detriments u will know no peace.i will join to maim whosoever.

Posted by: EMEKA MALAYSIA , on Saturday, May 16, 2009

Report this comment

* where is otorofani and his cohorts brigands?they only flock here with insane comments anytime their arch corrupt leader obj' makes news caption.kingsely,tell me are these people opinion moulders or what do u call obama?i said it once in this forum,that it is alot easier to eradicate these menance called old brigade politician like obj,nzeribe,iwuanyawu,bode thomas,ahmadu ali,rilwanu lukeman,ibb and so many criminal but very hard to curb the new generation sycophants.

Report this comment

* The Maddoffs, the Blagojeviches are not Nigerians but the difference is the political will to bring corruption to book. If Rod Blagojeviche or Maddoff was a Nigerian, their sycophants would have outnumbered those who call for their heads.America has the highest crime rate but almost no crime goes unpunished no matter who you are. That is what we are asking for, make the country uncomfortable for criminals and corrupt politicians, equip the police to do their constitutional duty, pay workers.

Posted by: Kingsley Ogbuji, TX, U.S.A , on Saturday, May 16, 2009

Report this comment

* IF YOU WANA SEE THE FACE AND EYE OF CORRUPTED PEOPLE START FROM IKOYI, V.I, AJAH, LEKKI, VGC, BANANA ESTATE, OCEAN VIEW, PARK VIEW, E.T.C IN LAGOS STATE PROPERTY START FROM $2M HOW DID THIS PEOPLE MAKE MONEY TO GET THIE PROPERTY SO THINK TWICE AND WAKE NIGERIANS WE SHOULD GO THERE IN MASSIVE AND BURN THE PROPERTIES LOOT CHARLES SOULUDO HE EARNED 1M NAIRA MONTHLY AND HE HAS A HOUSE IN REGENT STREET LONDON WHORTH ABOUT 4MILLION POUNDS CAN U IMAGINE WAKE UP GUY AND GET READY FOR REVOLUTION.

Posted by: skyme , on Saturday, May 16, 2009

Report this comment

* Poverty has nothing to do with this. Togo for example is poorer than Nigeria, but its nationals are not linked to such magnitude of criminality. Nigerians are just plain greedy, covetious and vain and my own people (Yoruba) represent a significant portion of these sort of people. Shame.

Posted by: Akinkuotu , on Saturday, May 16, 2009

Report this comment

* CONDOLENCE RICE KILLED ABIOLA IT WAS HER LAST MEETING ABIOLA DRANK A CUP OF AND DIE ABIOLA IS NOT OUR SAVIOUR BUT HE KNOWS MUCH ABOUT NIGERIA PROBLEM I SWEAR TO ALMIGHTY GOD THE WHOLE WOLRD KNOW THAT IF NIGERIA GET A LIFE WESTERN WORLD WILL BE PERISHED BECAUSE OUR NEIGHBOURING COUNTRY THAT TRAVEL TO WESTERN WORLD WOUND'NT MIND COMING DOWN TO NIGERIA AND HUZZLE THAN WORKING IN MIX OF RACISISM THE IMBESILE PRESIDENT 7 AGENDA NOTHING DONE YET NOW 2YEARS IN OFFICE ELECTRICITY WILL CHANGE NIGERIA

Report this comment

* Go to Sahra reporters for the full details. 99% of the eediots are Yoruba. They have carried their corrupt tendences to the US. I hope they get life jail each. Ole ni gbogboyin.

Posted by: Ahmed , on Saturday, May 16, 2009

Report this comment

* , employment upped, 52 thousand naira as wage and not slave wages of nickel and dime, our justice system sanitised etc. Cores are incorruptible Justice system and free and fair elections democracy-wise. We should be happy for America that she has justice system that cant be manipulated and sad for ourself no thanks to a corrupt judiciary - if the said credit card fraudsters are to be held in Nigeria, you´d not have had real justice. Yar´Dua would erected courts to try some in their backyards.

Posted by: S. Njokede , on Saturday, May 16, 2009

Report this comment

* The west cannot stop our leaders from looting our resources, we have to.Corruption is not native to Nigeria but on the corruption perception index,we rank high, at one time, 2nd most corrupt.The destiny of a people lies latent as long as the people lie silent.We were all fuming at what happened in Ekiti and cannot do more,revolution takes years to build prior to execution.How long shall we wait and die in agony of spirit bequeathing same to our children? As much as we can condemn, we can solve.

Report this comment

* yes,nationalism movements and co did help, but gone are those days,what i am seeing here is very far from that.i am one of those few apologists who vehemently support violent or peace revolution.i call upon many of those kidnappers,militants pls try and re-channel thier lofty and nobel hunts to those political elites,suicide bombers should pls pave way into aso rock.we are tired of this kidergaten and sweetmouths poetic comments here.

Report this comment

* AMERICA RULE THE WORLD THEY HAS NOTHING THEY IMPOSE POWER IN EVERY OTHER COUNRIES AFFTER THEY LEFT FOR IRAQ AND CREATED A BIG PROBLEM TO THE WOLRD THEY STATED USING BIG GRAMMERS RECESSION, CREDIT CRUNCH, GLOBAL ECONOMY CRISIS. GOD WILL NOT BLESS AMERICA AGAIN THE PROBLEM THEY CAUSED TO THE WORLD IS ENOUGH DO YOU KNOW THAT AMERICA HAS 50YEARS CRUDE OIL RESERVOIR A COUNTRY THAT DOES'NT HAS ANY OIL HAS RESERVE LOOK AT NIGERIA GOVERNMENT PLEADED FOR TWO MORE WEEK FUEL SCARCITY BAD LEADERS'Bleep U ALL

Report this comment

* It isn't that all other countries are crime/corruption free but in our case, there's no punishment when it is committed by the high and mighty. Considering that our President is in Office with a stolen mandate, he lacks the moral high ground to inspire the Nation to do good. He also unashamedly, surrounds himself with brigands and run a Kleptocracy. In other countires, what would the likes Ibori, Aondoakaa, Saraki, Okiro etc be doing anywhere near govt?

Posted by: Sunny , on Saturday, May 16, 2009

Report this comment

* If we can refer to the events that led to our independence, you'll agree with me that it would have been much more difficult to achieve if a few Nigerian students in especially U.K did not believe in themselves giving the odd at that time. All across Africa, it was youths that led the independence struggle, all they needed was to believe in themselves. Rescuing Nigeria is not harder than America having a black president, yes we can! Independence era kind of revolution is all we need to do it.

Report this comment

* WHAT A SHAME ON EVERY NIGERIANS COME TO THINK OF IT A COUNTRY THAT HAS ALL WHAT IT TAKES TO RULE THE WORLD, US,UK,GERMANY E.T.C SHOULD STOP COMPLAINING ABOUT WHAT NIGERIANS YOUTH DO TO THEIR NATIONS' I BELIEVE THEY WERE GENESIES OF THIS ISSUE WHEN OUR LEADER LOOT THE MONEY FROM NIGERIA THEY WELCOME THEM AND GET THE MONEY FROM THEM IN OTHER TO BANK IT OR USE IT TO BOOST THEIR ECONOMY CORRUPTION CAN NEVER STOP IN NIGERIA UNTIL THEY STOP TAKEN OUR CRUDE OIL AND STOP COLLECTING MONI FROM OUR LEADERS

Report this comment

* Kingsley Ogbuji:- Criminality isn´t native to Nigeria. The Enron, WorldCom and co. weren´t done by Nigerians. I´m seriously embarrassed by our criminal conduct but I´m not ashamed of it because crime is across Race and Planet. I open records for them if citizens of other countries try to run me down as per criminality done by Nigerians: I tell them how bad their countrymen are too. Solutions: Nigerians should elect their leaders selfly, corruption checked, our addiction to money & material cured

Posted by: S. Njokede , on Saturday, May 16, 2009

Report this comment

* yes kingsely,but do u know what?ur analogy comparing US- obama with 9ja is very imcompatible.our circumstances differ,there in US they have almost a perfect ideals of democracy here in 9ja we are just practising military masked civilian rule.a person like obama here in 9ja will not achieve anything if he is there moulding and building whatever.9ja,needs aggressive revolution,it could be peaceful but let it have no political parties affiliation or political undertone.

Report this comment

* The same unemployment occasioned by bad leadership that is driving our promising youths to head for Europe through the sahara desert only to remain slaves and prisoners has not abated. Why would they prefer to hide and do menial jobs in 3rd world Asian countries if our leaders were using our resources for our citizens? Revolution always starts with a few and watch me, b/w now and 2019, my generation will sanitize Nigeria where those in diaspora will be proud to come back to live in plenty.

Report this comment

* If all we profit from being here is to insult and curse each other out, then we might as well go eat, drink and be merry but one thing I assure you is: he can who thinks he can. Being judgmental and dismissive yet disgruntled and agitated at the status quo is self infliction that only cuts your life short. Why do we have to flood this forum if we cannot assure one another that we can contribute to the sanitization of our society? Are we just here to be pessimistic and derisive of each other? NO!

Report this comment

* @Emeka,Little drops of water, little grains of sand, make a mighty ocean they say. Building positive alliances geared towards effecting political and behavioural change always starts in informal forum as this. That is how Obama started, moulding like minds until the appointed time when they translated their cigitations and mind robbing into a pragmatic and practical message of change that resonated even among those with political apathy.We can do the same towards changing Nigeria, may not be now

Report this comment

* we have socio-path as leaders and the led, chinua achebe,tells us that notin is wrong with our climate or weather that our prob is from the leaders and the led.u are there sending in comments,no patriotism in us, who can die for 9ja?can anyone here inniate mass protest against corruption and snares of these evil leaders?none,is just to be sending comments HERE TO THERE.shut up ur tawdry mouths.cowards!

Report this comment

* we have socio-path as leaders and the led, chinua achebe,tells us that notin is wrong with our climate or weather that our prob is from the leaders and the led.u are there sending in comments,no patriotism in us, WHO can u die for 9ja?can anyone here inniate mass protest again corruption and snares of these evil leaders?none,is just to be sending comments from HERE AND THERE.shut up ur tawdry mouths.cowards!

Report this comment

* @EMEKA MALAYSIA Yes you are right. But let us at least try. I know it will be tough. Not with corruption even in primary schools where parents throw answers to their kids through windows. Or children who see their parents loot and think its the way to live. Or children of honest people who see their parent lead a tough life and vow not to be honest. Yet we move try, else Nigeria is doomed. We'll be ship-wrecked. I weep for Nigeria honestly. So blessed yet so cursed!

Posted by: emy , on Saturday, May 16, 2009

Report this comment

* But rather on a change of attitude to wealth from questionable sources. Wealth is not bad. But it should be through honest means. Our politicians (we dont have leaders in Nigeria, sadly) must lead the way. At least we havent heard of any Yardua scandals yet. Lets hope he's clean. Stop all the looting spree in the states. Clean up coruption both in private and public firms. The corruption in private firms is shocking too. Trace their receipts and you will know.Its shall be well with Nigeria

Report this comment

* KINGSELY OR WHAT IS UR NAME,DO U HOPE THAT SOLUTION COULD BE DEDUCED FROM THIS FORUM?, OUR PROBLEM IS THE NEW GENERATION MORAL FORGETFULNESS.IT IS VERY APPAULING TO SEE SOME OF THE UPCOMING GENERATION DEGENERATING TO ARDENT SUPPORTERS OF THOSE HELMSMEN OF CORRUPTION IN NIGERIA.TO THEM,THE NOTORIOUS AROGANT CRIMINAL OBJ AND CO ARE THEIR ROLE MODELS,THEY DEFEND THEM WITH THE LAST DROPS OF THEIR BLOOD.9JA,IS A FAILED STATE AND THE UPCOMING CHANGE AGENTS ARE DESTRUCTIVE AGENTS,SO HOW?

Report this comment

* So we need to start holding honesty, hardwork, and integrity in high esteem. Then we will not have to be ashamed when we are asked like they do in UK: 'Where are you originally from'? Most times Nigerians now say Africa. A kind lady gave a friend a ride in Texas and on the way asked him where he is from, he claimed Ghana. That is how ashamed people are from Nigeria. The look you get when you present that Green pasport at banks or airports.It has to end not by wasting billions on 'rebranding'

Report this comment

* It we had ethical and attitudinal reorientation, and learn to question the source of wealth and if not clean, keep a distance from such people instead of giving them traditional titles etc people will learn to be honest. If someone hold a public office and is honest, at the end of the tenure his community most certainly will deride him. He'll be accused of 'wasting' their opportunity to eat the national cake. If someone lives abroad and doesnt sent $$$ home, family regards him a failure.

Report this comment

* @Kingsley Ogbuji good words. Its always refreshing to read your contributions. My take on this is to fight it from the root cause. Nigerians both abroad and at home worship wealth irrespective of the source. Once you travel abroad, everyone expects you to ferry down money as if you mint them. So people that have no self control and integrity go into all sort of shaddy acts to 'impress' friends and relatives and to be considered as 'doing well' abroad.

Report this comment

* @Kingsley Ogbuji good words. Its always refrehing to read your contributions. My take on this is to fight it from the rot cause. Nigerians both abroad and at home worship wealth irrespective of the source. Once you travel abroad, everyone expects you to ferry down money as if you mint them. So people that have no self control and integrity go into all sort of shaddy acts to 'impress' friends and relatives and to be considered as 'doing well' abroad.

Report this comment

* Yes they criminalised us. The leaders are our role model. We have 419'ers, drug dealers and name them, all in our house of assemblies. The president is not left out because we're all in it together. Did I hear anybody say re-branding? Re-brand my pocket, re-brand my foot.

Posted by: Jason , on Saturday, May 16, 2009

Report this comment

* I was recently refused service in a UK public service/building. Reason? I was told by the woman in charge that she could not believe or bother to verify my claim simply because they've had ''2'' deceptive Nigerians in the past. To drive home her point, she continued by saying - 'Moreover all Nigerians are dceptive'. I felt insulted and could have taken it further since i was genuine. but what for? She was only bearing her mind and the truth was also glaring. We can't re-brand nothing!

Report this comment

* Generators every where, no water, outside churches or mosque noise in every 2 hours, Street parties, etc, But with all these I still have hope that thing will be better, it may not be in my generation but things will be better.

Posted by: LASTP , on Saturday, May 16, 2009

Report this comment

* Yes they criminalised us. The leaders are our role model. We have 419'ers, drug dealers and name them, all in our house of assemblies. The president is not left out because we're all in it together. Did I hear anybody say re-branding? Re-brand my pocket, re-brand my foot.

Report this comment

* Kingsley Ogbuji, TX, U.S.A: When was the last time you went home. The moment you landed at the airport you feel disgrace. The immigration will be collecting passports from left and right. The custom will begging for you brought back for them. Them the thugs will be waiting for you outside. God forbid police stop you on your way to where you will be staying. That is will be a nightmare. Traffic, oh my, then comes the LASMA, Yfever and LG police. it is terrible what one go through to be a Nigerian

Posted by: LASTP , on Saturday, May 16, 2009

Report this comment

* @KINGSLEY OGBUJI, simple let you and I return home and help organise youths to march to national assembly and chase out those hooligans! because they failed us.

Posted by: AMBROSE, from Guangzhou , on Saturday, May 16, 2009

Report this comment

* New York City officials busted an international credit card and identity theft ring that ensnared more than 6000 customers around the world and caused about $15 million loses. More than 35 people(Yorubas) have been indicted. WOLE "SHOLA" OGUNEWE leads the ring, and 3 others, CHARLES FEMI AYODELE, AYANWALE GANIYU and ABDUL RAZAK YUSUF operated smaller rings, prosecutors said. - pointblanknews.com.

Posted by: Otito koro , on Saturday, May 16, 2009

Report this comment

* How do we convince our youths that corruption is a reproach to any nation? If it's not a Nigerian being executed on drug charges in China & Indonesia, it's a Nigerian on death row for criminality; When you think it's subsiding is when it escalates. For God's sake, who will deliver Nigeria from all these image tarnishing conducts from both the leadership and the followership? From Abuja to main street, corruption everywhere, police, taxi driver,pastor,imam, hawker, lecturer,babalawo, gosh!

Report this comment

* The Burning Spears, the Vitas in diaspora, the Otorofanis, the Adewales, the Toyins fake & real, the Judas's, the Onikoyis and every other forumite who's likely to contribute here: how do we salvage Nigeria from the myriads of her woes and disrepute? What is the way forward and how do we get the present generation to shun evil? Our notoriety has reached the high heavens that I bow my head in shame each time scornful Americans discuss the onholy exploits of Nigerians around me? I'm ashamed please

Report this comment

* Anybody who must comment on this issue should please relegate ethnic sentiments and disparaging comments to the background. We must all as one people speak against evil and look deep inward within us and ask ourselves: how am I contributing to the downfall of Nigeria? Am I doing the right things that can promote the name of Nigeria or am I doing the wrong things that can tarnish her already battered image? This is a time to reflect and think as a united people of Nigeria and not to curse or hate

Report this comment

* http://www.saharareporters.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2749:international-credit-card-and-identity-theft-ring-of-nigerians-in-new-york-dismantled&catid=1:latest-news&Itemid=18 Those guys will definitely make the rebranding effort futile. This tells us that corruption is not in govt circles alone but among the ordinary folks who should be ambassadors of their country. These guys are indeed a shame to Nigeria and a shame to their parents who struggled hard to train them.

Report this comment

* Nigerians are not crooks by default. This is a reflection of the madness, lawlessness, materialism, corruption, misrule, election rigging, fraud and inept leadership we have in Nigeria. With 80% youths unemployed and unresolved fraud and embezzlement cases in government circles, innocent young Nigerians have embraced criminality where all else have failed. 419 thrives. Politics being Nigeria's most lucrative business, politicians engage do or die tactics to get into office. Reform politicians.

Posted by: Lucky Ibibio , on Friday, May 15, 2009

Report this comment

* If it is true that this number of nigerians were involved in credit cards scam and were arrested by the New York police that's great.Nigerian officials have the duty to visit these criminals to see that they are treated according to the law, of course,there is no bribe here, unlike in their host country. Every honest and hard working nigerian will love this, these criminals have given security agencies all over the world the opportunity to treat honest nigerians as crooks.Most are honest.

Posted by: fon , on Friday, May 15, 2009
Re: Mass Arrest: Nigeria Demands Details From Us by JJYOU: 12:31pm On May 16, 2009
why must we always waste our resources and time helping thieves?

(1) (Reply)

Breaking News: Nigerian Police Shoot Dead An Okada Man @ Ilupeju / Unbeleivable!! Checkout The Luxurious Mansion Terrorist Currently Live In(photos / See Me! See Trouble! Elderly Man Embarasses Me In The Bus.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.