Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,808 members, 7,810,107 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:53 PM

Dr Enoch Did Not Prove The Riemann Hypothesis. - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Dr Enoch Did Not Prove The Riemann Hypothesis. (8362 Views)

Opeyemi Enoch Solves 150-Year-Old The Riemann Hypothesis - Bbc World Service / Opeyemi Enoch Has NOT Solved The Riemann Hypothesis: Didnt Get Any $1M / Opeyemi Enoch Solves 156-Year-Old Maths Problem, Gets $1M (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dr Enoch Did Not Prove The Riemann Hypothesis. by Nobody: 9:48pm On Nov 15, 2015
This afternoon as I was browsing Nairaland, I saw a post that claimed a Nigerian solved a 156-year-old mathematical problem. Naturally my curiousity was piqued and I clicked on the thread.

The post (which can be found on the front page) claims that a Dr Enoch Opeyemi "solved" the Riemann Hypothesis.
That was the first red flag: you either prove or disprove a conjecture, either way I chalked it up to bad reportage.

The article also said the "proof" was presented at the ICMS in Vienna on the 11th, which was weird as I didn't see any publication since then, moreover researching the ICMS that held on the 11th I found out that the lecturer's presentation is titled: "A matrix that generates the point spectral of the Riemann Zeta function" and mentions no proof of the Riemann Hypothesis.

“He also showed how other problems of this kind can be formulated and obtained the matrix that Hilbert and Poly predicted will give these undiscovered solutions. He revealed how these solutions are applicable in cryptography, quantum information science and in quantum computers,” it stated.

First I haven't heard of any mathematician named Poly,the closest I got was George Polya, who didn't work on the Riemann Hypothesis.

Also a proof of the hypothesis does not affect cryptography in any way. Merely knowing if the Riemann Hypothesis holds or not doesn't help you construct any factorization method (although it can tell you a theoretical bound on how well a certain algorithm can run).

Dr Enoch had previously designed a Prototype of a silo for peasant farmers and also discovered a scientific technique for detecting and tracking someone on an evil mission.
When I read that line I concluded that the news was most likely satirical.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Dr Enoch Did Not Prove The Riemann Hypothesis. by Nobody: 9:52pm On Nov 15, 2015
I talk am... Be a Philosopher una say grin

Lalasticlala come and see joor... undecided

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Dr Enoch Did Not Prove The Riemann Hypothesis. by Nobody: 9:54pm On Nov 15, 2015
When I read the last past in bold letters, I exited the thread
Re: Dr Enoch Did Not Prove The Riemann Hypothesis. by Nobody: 9:55pm On Nov 15, 2015
Trying to believe Op nob Igbo Downloading 12%

1 Like

Re: Dr Enoch Did Not Prove The Riemann Hypothesis. by Nobody: 10:04pm On Nov 15, 2015
Googling the Riemann Hypothesis brought no other source for the so called proof apart from Vanguard (which is a deplorable news source and should not be taken seriously) and various blogs that copy-pasted the Vanguard article,some with their own spin: some even claimed the lecturer was offered a billion dollars for the proof.

I searched for arXiv and other journal sites for the peer-reviewed paper he wrote and only found this: http://www.academia.edu/1188935/Proof_of_the_Riemann_hypothesis

First Academia is not a site for journals but an academic networking site,
Also after perusing the "proof" I found that it was actually the work of a German professor, Werner Raab titled "The Truth Of The Riemann Hypothesis"
That's the citation of the paper in case anyone's interested:
Raab, W., 2013. The Truth of the Riemann Hypothesis. Open Science Repository Mathematics, Online(open-access), p.e70081985. Available at: http://www.open-science-repository.com/mathematics-70081985.html.

-The Clay Institute that offers the prize shows nothing about a proof.
-There is literally no international media reporting the story, the only source is Vanguard and blogs that plagiarise the Vanguard post.
-The "proof" the professor offers is actually the work of a German professor in which he changes the name from "The truth of the Riemann Hypothesis" to "Proof of the Riemann Hypothesis"

2 Likes

Re: Dr Enoch Did Not Prove The Riemann Hypothesis. by Nobody: 10:08pm On Nov 15, 2015
I implore the super moderators of nairaland to remove the erroneous post from the front page and stop giving attention to a charlatan.
cc Lalasticlala, Obinoscopy, Dominique.

4 Likes

Re: Dr Enoch Did Not Prove The Riemann Hypothesis. by Nobody: 10:30pm On Nov 15, 2015
Mehnnnnn........... This post would have been more impactful to me if I actually know what the Reiman's hypothesis is.

BTW, do you think Machines can think Like Turing's test..
Re: Dr Enoch Did Not Prove The Riemann Hypothesis. by Madmathecian(m): 10:49pm On Nov 15, 2015
People could have done some googling and unearth this false claims but they didn't, most times people believe things because they want them to be true, you'll be surprised that most of them will not even click on this thread.

5 Likes

Re: Dr Enoch Did Not Prove The Riemann Hypothesis. by UkwuAmu: 1:44am On Nov 16, 2015
Hello Karmanaut, I tried requesting sending you an e mail but nairaland won't let me. Please get in touch by sending me an e mail request. I got something to discuss with you .thanks

Karmanaut:
This afternoon as I was browsing Nairaland, I saw a post that claimed a Nigerian solved a 156-year-old mathematical problem. Naturally my curiousity was piqued and I clicked on the thread.

The post (which can be found on the front page) claims that a Dr Enoch Opeyemi "solved" the Riemann Hypothesis.
That was the first red flag: you either prove or disprove a conjecture, either way I chalked it up to bad reportage.

The article also said the "proof" was presented at the ICMS in Vienna on the 11th, which was weird as I didn't see any publication since then, moreover researching the ICMS that held on the 11th I found out that the lecturer's presentation is titled: "A matrix that generates the point spectral of the Riemann Zeta function" and mentions no proof of the Riemann Hypothesis.

First I haven't heard of any mathematician named Poly,the closest I got was George Polya, who didn't work on the Riemann Hypothesis.

Also a proof of the hypothesis does not affect cryptography in any way. Merely knowing if the Riemann Hypothesis holds or not doesn't help you construct any factorization method (although it can tell you a theoretical bound on how well a certain algorithm can run).

When I read that line I concluded that the news was most likely satirical.
Re: Dr Enoch Did Not Prove The Riemann Hypothesis. by kenedy175(m): 5:38am On Nov 16, 2015
#facts. Untold stories grin
Re: Dr Enoch Did Not Prove The Riemann Hypothesis. by 1stknight(m): 6:10am On Nov 16, 2015
Some people think that Riemann hypothesis is one plus one, if Dr. Enoch had proved the Riemann hypothesis, it will be in major news. Riemann hypothesis is one of the most important unsolved mathematics problem, even the billionaire mathematician James Harris Simons said in an interview by numberphile (it's on YouTube) that he would trade some of his wealth to be the mathematician that solve the Riemann hypothesis. A Kazakh mathematician early last year claimed to have solved the Navier-stokes equation, I think his name is Prof. Otalbyev(not sure of the spelling), until the proof was rebuffed by another mathematician Terence Tao when he spotted a mistake in the published proof by the professor.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dr Enoch Did Not Prove The Riemann Hypothesis. by Nobody: 7:04am On Nov 16, 2015
vi

3 Likes

Re: Dr Enoch Did Not Prove The Riemann Hypothesis. by Spikkylee: 7:18am On Nov 16, 2015
undecided
Re: Dr Enoch Did Not Prove The Riemann Hypothesis. by Nobody: 7:21am On Nov 16, 2015
Following ...................
Re: Dr Enoch Did Not Prove The Riemann Hypothesis. by Viktor1983(m): 8:43am On Nov 16, 2015
Why are they putting the professor's life in danger? Kidnappers only understand that $1M =N200M

1 Like

Re: Dr Enoch Did Not Prove The Riemann Hypothesis. by Enahi(f): 8:57am On Nov 16, 2015
This whole thing is confusing. What is Reimann hypothesis
Re: Dr Enoch Did Not Prove The Riemann Hypothesis. by SpiderWEB101: 8:57am On Nov 16, 2015
for any kind of site that you need for your jobs be rest assured that we can arrange for you a well designed and a protectional site that you need for that job.

for your online courier & bank site contact us. tracking of parcel facility for courier. and account login for online bank.

we specialize in this field for many years. and looking forward to work with you.

contact us privately through email: SpiderWEB@usa.com.

await for you.

Regards

Spider WEB
Re: Dr Enoch Did Not Prove The Riemann Hypothesis. by NinaTohBadt(f): 9:03am On Nov 16, 2015
First published in Riemann's groundbreaking 1859 paper (Riemann 1859), the Riemann hypothesis is a deep mathematical conjecture which states that the nontrivial Riemann zeta function zeros, i.e., the values of s other than -2, -4, -6, ... such that zeta(s)=0 (where zeta(s) is the Riemann zeta function) all lie on the "critical line" sigma=R[s]=1/2 (where R[s] denotes the real part of s). cry cry cry why would somebody even establish this kind of life threatening "sturvs"

Re: Dr Enoch Did Not Prove The Riemann Hypothesis. by Nobody: 9:18am On Nov 16, 2015
The problem is with the media, they can't tell what is fact from what is noise. Tell them you discovered a new planet, they will start filling the internet with praises like 'Isaac Newton of Nigeria' etc.

Lalasticlala

2 Likes

Re: Dr Enoch Did Not Prove The Riemann Hypothesis. by 400billionman: 10:31am On Nov 16, 2015
That last line though.

Thats fiction.
Re: Dr Enoch Did Not Prove The Riemann Hypothesis. by raayah(f): 11:27am On Nov 16, 2015

1 Like

Re: Dr Enoch Did Not Prove The Riemann Hypothesis. by femoric9: 12:34pm On Nov 16, 2015
As a Nigerian student living in d United states. I was almost tempted to share d thisday link I came across online. I was so excited to share for my.American friends who believes nothing good comes out of africa.
However, I quickly reminded myself, this is nigeria & I do be making a fool of myself without verifying d source of this news. I went online and it is a shame that only nigerian dailies and blogs have news on such an important international achievement. That was when it dawned on me that this is another joke coming out of my country.
However, reading the last paragraph of the nation's newspaper, I can it was a satire not perfectly coined.

3 Likes

Re: Dr Enoch Did Not Prove The Riemann Hypothesis. by Shaw007(m): 8:41pm On Nov 16, 2015
God bless you oh!! I said this same thing on the other thread, and some people that dont like thinking were ready to swallow me!!

Riemann hypothesis solved and its only vanguard and osundefender that knows about it!!! Nothing on BBC, CNN or even The Clay Institue themselves .Very funny, hilarious sh!t

and to think they were already fighting on South West and The yEAST!!! Stupidity is commonplace in this country.

1 Like

Re: Dr Enoch Did Not Prove The Riemann Hypothesis. by EvilBrain1(m): 11:27pm On Nov 16, 2015
Karmanaut:
I implore the super moderators of nairaland to remove the erroneous post from the front page and stop giving attention to a charlatan.
cc Lalasticlala, Obinoscopy, Dominique.

Good luck with that! Nairaland has really gone down the toilet these days. It's full of trolls, tribalists, religious nuts and moröns. And the mods are hardly doing anything to control the level of rêtardation.

That's why I hardly come here any more.

3 Likes

Re: Dr Enoch Did Not Prove The Riemann Hypothesis. by Kloness(f): 8:47am On Nov 17, 2015
BBC Africa is reporting it: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03891wc?ocid=socialflow_facebook

quote author=EvilBrain1 post=40098650]

Good luck with that! Nairaland has really gone down the toilet these days. It's full of trolls, tribalists, religious nuts and moröns. And the mods are hardly doing anything to control the level of rêtardation.

That's why I hardly come here any more.[/quote]
Re: Dr Enoch Did Not Prove The Riemann Hypothesis. by Kloness(f): 8:50am On Nov 17, 2015
BBC Africa is reporting it:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03891wc?ocid=socialflow_facebook

quote author=exxell post=40067802]I also googled and researched on the so called proof and no major site or tabloid carried the news. I doubt the Mods or Lalasticlala will take this to front page undecided undecided

Nairaland..... Exploiting and misinforming the gullible Nigerians since 2005!!

[/quote]
Re: Dr Enoch Did Not Prove The Riemann Hypothesis. by Bishop42: 11:55am On Nov 17, 2015
Found a source on bbc.,

www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03891wc

A maths problem, which
has gone more than 150
years without a solution,
has finally been solved by
Nigerian academic Dr.
Opeyemi Enoch. The Riemann Hypothesis was
first proposed by
Bernhard Riemann in 1859.
As the first person to
provide a solution, Dr.
Enoch has scooped a million dollar prize.
Source: BBC.

They are good with numbers. Am impressed.
Re: Dr Enoch Did Not Prove The Riemann Hypothesis. by absoluteSuccess: 12:31pm On Nov 17, 2015
It is a shame we don't have faith in our own thing till the white man says yes to it.

zombi generation..

1 Like

Re: Dr Enoch Did Not Prove The Riemann Hypothesis. by heykims(m): 1:01pm On Nov 17, 2015
1stknight:
Some people think that Riemann hypothesis is one plus one, if Dr. Enoch had proved the Riemann hypothesis, it will be in major news. Riemann hypothesis is one of the most important unsolved mathematics problem, even the billionaire mathematician James Harris Simons said in an interview by numberphile (it's on YouTube) that he would trade some of his wealth to be the mathematician that solve the Riemann hypothesis. A Kazakh mathematician early last year claimed to have solved the Navier-stokes equation, I think his name is Prof. Otalbyev(not sure of the spelling), until the proof was rebuffed by another mathematician Terence Tao when he spotted a mistake in the published proof by the professor.
How come u've suddenly gone mute?
Re: Dr Enoch Did Not Prove The Riemann Hypothesis. by heykims(m): 1:02pm On Nov 17, 2015
400billionman:
That last line though.

Thats fiction.
still a fiction?
Re: Dr Enoch Did Not Prove The Riemann Hypothesis. by heykims(m): 1:03pm On Nov 17, 2015
femoric9:
As a Nigerian student living in d United states. I was almost tempted to share d thisday link I came across online. I was so excited to share for my.American friends who believes nothing good comes out of africa.
However, I quickly reminded myself, this is nigeria & I do be making a fool of myself without verifying d source of this news. I went online and it is a shame that only nigerian dailies and blogs have news on such an important international achievement. That was when it dawned on me that this is another joke coming out of my country.
However, reading the last paragraph of the nation's newspaper, I can it was a satire not perfectly coined.
My brother, u can now break the news and celebrate ur country..

(1) (2) (Reply)

Direct Entry Admission Into University In Cotonou, Benin Republic / Download Pdf) Fpn Nasarawa Nd Full-time Admission List (updated) / Mind Blowing Facts- Picture Series. Vol 1

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.