Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,457 members, 7,812,402 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:47 PM

Food Scarcity Looms In Prisons Over N6bn Debt - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Food Scarcity Looms In Prisons Over N6bn Debt (14145 Views)

Scarcity Of Tomatoes , Other Commodities Hit Lagos Markets / Food Scarcity And Increased Suffering In Households. / Tomato Scarcity : Has Anyone Used Dried Tomatoes For Stew? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Food Scarcity Looms In Prisons Over N6bn Debt by iwaeda: 2:09pm On Nov 16, 2015
Prisons inmates across the country may be thrown into hunger from December if urgent steps are not taken to settle the outstanding bills of food contractors.

The contractors, under the aegis of Nigeria Prison Service Ration and Gas Contractors, have already made their intention to stop supplying food and gas to prisons from December known in a letter addressed to President Muhammadu Buhari.
A copy of the letter, dated November 13 and sighted by our correspondent on Sunday, was jointly signed by the association’s President, Chief S. K. Sanni; National Secretary, Mr. Eugene Agro; and the National Vice President (North West), Alhaji Ibrahim A. Asarakawa.

The Minister of Interior and the Comptroller-General of Prisons, among other top government officials, were copied.

The contractors informed Buhari that the Federal Government’s indebtedness to them currently stands at N6bn.

They said with the outstanding bill, they no longer have the financial capacity to source for food and gas with which they could supply the prisons.

They therefore appealed to the President and the minister in charge of prisons to intervene in the matter by ensuring that the backlog is cleared.

They made it clear that if the debt was not paid by the end of this month, they might not be able to supply food items and gas in December, as they have exhausted not only their financial resources but also the sources where they have been getting the money to do business.

The contractors stated that they have not been paid for the supply of food items and gas to the prisons since January this year.

The situation, they added, forced them to resort to taking bank loans with all the accumulative interests, even as some of them sold their houses and other properties in order to meet up.

In the years past, the contractors said the Federal Government used to pay them two weeks ahead of time.

They wondered why the system changed to the extent that they were the ones using their money to buy the food items and gas for the prisons before they were reimbursed.

They urged the President to act fast in order to forestall stoppage of food to prisons, a situation which they said poses a great danger to the fragile security of the country.

The contractors advised Buhari to mobilise funds from any source to settle them in order to forestall the national embarrassment that hunger in prisons could cause his government which has security as one of its priorities.

The letter read in part, “Needless to say that if prisoners and inmates of the nation’s prisons are not fed for two days, they could go haywire and the consequences are not good to imagine.

“We do not want any national embarrassment for Mr. President and his new government.

“We are therefore appealing to the Commander-In-Chief to mobilise funds from anywhere to settle our bill before it is too late, knowing that top on his priority is security.

“We have endured long enough.”

http://punchng.com/food-scarcity-looms-in-prisons-over-n6bn-debt/
Re: Food Scarcity Looms In Prisons Over N6bn Debt by aydelicious: 3:03pm On Nov 16, 2015
This is serious oooo.....Anyway dey will do something about it,it will not get out of hands.
Re: Food Scarcity Looms In Prisons Over N6bn Debt by iwaeda: 4:24pm On Nov 16, 2015
aydelicious:
This is serious oooo.....Anyway dey will do something about it,it will not get out of hands.

Ibinu Elewon oda o

Cc lalasticlala,ishilove

3 Likes

Re: Food Scarcity Looms In Prisons Over N6bn Debt by aydelicious: 9:47pm On Nov 16, 2015
iwaeda:

Ibinu Elewon oda o
Cc lalasticlala,ishilove
huh hmm hmm hmm.
Re: Food Scarcity Looms In Prisons Over N6bn Debt by lasisi69(f): 10:33pm On Nov 16, 2015
End time

5 Likes

Re: Food Scarcity Looms In Prisons Over N6bn Debt by laurel03(m): 10:34pm On Nov 16, 2015
Na Only God fit help ds country

5 Likes

Re: Food Scarcity Looms In Prisons Over N6bn Debt by LilSmith55(m): 10:34pm On Nov 16, 2015
+
Re: Food Scarcity Looms In Prisons Over N6bn Debt by Beehshorp(m): 10:34pm On Nov 16, 2015
When will we start getting good news under Buhari's administration.. Am so tired of vix shii..

Some apc e-maggots would quote me now but guess what I aint gonna bother reading em cos they av decided to be blinded by dat "end time" party

43 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Food Scarcity Looms In Prisons Over N6bn Debt by Hawlahscho(m): 10:34pm On Nov 16, 2015
Ogun sele lorun ni..

Ko kan aye.
Re: Food Scarcity Looms In Prisons Over N6bn Debt by damton(m): 10:34pm On Nov 16, 2015
Chai. even with the hard Improperly cooked beans dem dey chop.

In Lasisi's words END TIME

3 Likes

Re: Food Scarcity Looms In Prisons Over N6bn Debt by Jusmudi(m): 10:35pm On Nov 16, 2015
Je-su. Dis is serious bt actually dere is no money in dis country. Can u imagine I ws looking 4 #10 to buy maggi? God help us ooooooooo

2 Likes

Re: Food Scarcity Looms In Prisons Over N6bn Debt by LilSmith55(m): 10:35pm On Nov 16, 2015
lasisi69:
End time
Na everything be End Time

3 Likes

Re: Food Scarcity Looms In Prisons Over N6bn Debt by ultrazone(m): 10:36pm On Nov 16, 2015
Bad
Re: Food Scarcity Looms In Prisons Over N6bn Debt by Frankiss44(m): 10:36pm On Nov 16, 2015
This country of our sha..
Re: Food Scarcity Looms In Prisons Over N6bn Debt by lonelydora: 10:36pm On Nov 16, 2015
Hian........ It seems the zoo is falling faster than we expect.

1 Like

Re: Food Scarcity Looms In Prisons Over N6bn Debt by slim19(m): 10:37pm On Nov 16, 2015
Wetin we no go hear for this country...imagine food scarcity among criminals

4 Likes

Re: Food Scarcity Looms In Prisons Over N6bn Debt by laurel03(m): 10:37pm On Nov 16, 2015
Wahala dey 4 9ja no be small.... Na every sector get problem for Nigeria.... Corruption Corruption Corruption..... No be one of their Oga pay 60million tithes

2 Likes

Re: Food Scarcity Looms In Prisons Over N6bn Debt by sapientia(m): 10:37pm On Nov 16, 2015
They should be paid pls...

There should be ways for the the prisons to be funded by the activities of the prisoners oo

They can farm and there are other professions there.. Government should act fast..

They have not been paid since January..

Who was there sef during GEJ time?.. were they not budgeted for?

These are the kind of things to investigate and prosecute people on..

Not just waking up and start inviting people..

1 Like

Re: Food Scarcity Looms In Prisons Over N6bn Debt by lonelydora: 10:37pm On Nov 16, 2015
lasisi69:
End time

Still believing you.
Re: Food Scarcity Looms In Prisons Over N6bn Debt by ChappyChase: 10:37pm On Nov 16, 2015
Abegi!!! See the way the contractors are ranting as if they even supplied the food when giving the money!!

2 Likes

Re: Food Scarcity Looms In Prisons Over N6bn Debt by Cybertext(m): 10:37pm On Nov 16, 2015
Buhari body odour....

11 Likes

Re: Food Scarcity Looms In Prisons Over N6bn Debt by babasolo(m): 10:37pm On Nov 16, 2015
If dem arrest or sack person, some yansh go come de rant online anyhw

2 Likes

Re: Food Scarcity Looms In Prisons Over N6bn Debt by Nobody: 10:37pm On Nov 16, 2015
lasisi69:
End time
News reaching me here dat a guy namely Lasisi Raufu just escaped from Yaba left, I guess ure d one, guys pls stop giving Lasisi69 attention. D guy na #Osa l'aro.

No thanks to mtn who dashed u 10mb. undecided

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Food Scarcity Looms In Prisons Over N6bn Debt by 360ng: 10:37pm On Nov 16, 2015
Hmmmm
Re: Food Scarcity Looms In Prisons Over N6bn Debt by estherdim: 10:38pm On Nov 16, 2015
How women pray for life partner
At 21 you hear options like:
Father O lord!!!
Am still young,
I know ooo.
Father lord I need to start with a tall handsome man dat has two houses in Dubai, six in london,
two in America...hellooo...
Father...I can't settle for the better when there is the best!!! U know how far naaaa.
Hehehe...................TIME
DEY.
But When dey are 30 the option dey reduce:::
Father!!!!!
I was a fool 10 years ago.
Who am I to give u options!!!...
ME COMMON MAN...
LET YOUR WILL BE DONE.
Father!!!
I now have wedding ring and I have wedding gown, its only man that am waiting for....Do your work o lord !!!!
Hehheheh.............TiME STILL DEY
At 34...the prayer na straight to the point...
Father!!!!!! Man na man I said Man na man... Aki or paw-paw I no mind

True or false

Get your Festina gold Watch, Timberland Boot, Nike,Emporio Armani, Casio Edifice ,Diesel watch, Smart watches Et all, visit link at signature below also click here for more collections Konga.com/broxy

4 Likes

Re: Food Scarcity Looms In Prisons Over N6bn Debt by onosprince(m): 10:39pm On Nov 16, 2015
Pray for Nigeria.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Food Scarcity Looms In Prisons Over N6bn Debt by IlekeHD: 10:39pm On Nov 16, 2015
So dem still dey feed prisoners in Naija grin
Re: Food Scarcity Looms In Prisons Over N6bn Debt by mschubby: 10:39pm On Nov 16, 2015
They will do something about it
Re: Food Scarcity Looms In Prisons Over N6bn Debt by Nobody: 10:40pm On Nov 16, 2015
Dis government sef angry

No we've started trekking for Buhari for real at filling stations...

4 Likes

Re: Food Scarcity Looms In Prisons Over N6bn Debt by donjaxy(m): 10:40pm On Nov 16, 2015
Wasted Generation
Re: Food Scarcity Looms In Prisons Over N6bn Debt by Nobody: 10:41pm On Nov 16, 2015
prison will be fun if its lyk d one in orange is the new black wit crazy eyes n tucky to keep u laughing..

1 Like

Re: Food Scarcity Looms In Prisons Over N6bn Debt by sotall(m): 10:41pm On Nov 16, 2015
ok

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Edikaikong / Why Does Nigeria Import So Much Rice? / How To Make Nigeria Chin Chin

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.