Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,587 members, 7,955,165 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 06:28 PM

Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) - Culture (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) (71204 Views)

Are Ukwuani People Of Delta State Igbos? / Ukwuani People Are Not Igbos. / The Official Ukwuani Thread: Ukwuani Bu Ani Eze (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by tonychristopher: 11:38pm On Jan 22, 2015
OdenigboAroli:

You are right...Its like rejoicing not just being happy....my uncle will say "ona afa ufala",meaning he is rejoicing or making merry. I believe its one of those archaic Igbo word that is going extinct. Like "ulu" which mean stealing but is rarely used nowadays. Even okongwu,onye uri/uchi which all means and elderly person. Also "zezelize" which means beating around the bush,being confused or indecisive. These are all archaic,at least in Idenmili.
My mother will never say nwanne nnyaa which means two days ago,rather she will say nbosi toor nnyaa. Igbo na asu nonu-nonu. But if Ukwuani say they dont want to be a part of the nation,so be it. But they cant stop being Igbo because its in their Dna...the modern Ukwuani will name their kids chioma,chidinma,ifeanyi,emeka,chukwudi,ndidi....lol. They cant run away from being Igbo,its only gonna get stronger.

Well spoken the problem I usually have with some of them is that they assume we speak one unified Igbo just like them we have dialects and accents just like the dude in united kingdom

But let's not forget that we have pure Igbo amongst theism and we shouldn't allow the grand children of Benin felons to smear them

Here on Lagos they associate and are called omo igbo they don't have qualms with that also

I think the deniers are in minority ..its rare to see such .I am an in law there so I can talk categorically
Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by nellagold(f): 8:07pm On Feb 08, 2015
[quote author=tonychristopher post=29428764]
.Igbo

I understand what am saying. U dont expect me to accept dat am from a place am not from. U have been insulting me for no reason. Even though most of us bear almost d same name doesn't make me igbo. There are so many igbos dat migrated to our place. ' ' . Pls let's respect ourselves. Am not a kid. If really ur wife is an ogume woman, let her take u to our village so d elders to give u brief history of ukwani people and stop insulting me here. D pic u are seeing on my profile is my daughter's own, pls respect my age.
Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by tonychristopher: 3:49pm On Feb 15, 2015
euromilion:
No Igbo's are ukwuani.

Until an IBO's tell me what this words mean,ukwuanis are ukwuani and Igbo's are Igbo.

What does these words mean in English?

nbuuka
Ntune
Opkalaosa

Nbuuka rat
Okpalaosa or mbe tortise
Ntune or otune is anus
Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by tonychristopher: 3:55pm On Feb 15, 2015
[quote author=nellagold post=30549763][/quote]

Nella I get u ...we have Benin refugee in ukwuani that is not debatable but they must hv assimilated by bearing igbo name

Now have you ever seen somebody bearing muhamed that had no islamic origin

At.least try and male a. Sensible sumission next time

You bear igbo name but your not igbo

Very funny and daft submission
Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by Ihuomadinihu: 7:50am On Feb 16, 2015
O di egwu! Is this complex identity thread still growing? Enlightened Ukwuani natives have come to terms with their identity,while the rest of you choose to wallow in identity crises. A good example of a proud Ukwuani/Igbo son is Uti Nwachukwu,who has only identified as Igbo on my numerous chats with him. Uti calls himself a Delta igbo boy,he speaks Igbo,all his friends are Eastern Igbos and he is proud of igbos as i am. Those of you with Benin ancestors should not corrupt other Igbos for posterity sake. I wonder how you call Chineke, bear igbo names, eat Igbo foods,practice igbo culture,yet you struggle with your identity. In the same vein,there is nothing connecting you to Benin apart from minute similarities here and there,cos of geographical proximity.
But i love my Igbo culture,cos a drop of Igbo automatically makes you igbo. As far as you speak an Igbo dialect within the igbo enclaves,you are an Igbo person inspite of yourself!

3 Likes

Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by nellagold(f): 1:54pm On Feb 18, 2015
tonychristopher:

@ tony christopher must u insult someone before u try to make a point. We are trying to educate people not fight. One u are not from my place dat u would know more than me. Bros we no dey quarrel so don't insult me. Like my husband is an isoko man but is name sound iboyish but have another meaning. Some philipinos have share d same surname with my hubby d same spellings cos I have plenty of dem on my facebook but different meaning. So let's end dis argument. God bless u

Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by Ishilove: 2:45pm On Feb 18, 2015
'Basket' in ukwuani language is 'apeere' or 'myiyo'. Apere is basket in Yoruba. 'Myi' or 'nnmiri' is water, 'yo' is 'come out' in yoruba language. Myi+yo=basket.

You can imagine my shock.

Well, it shows that the Bini influence in Ukwuani history may be stronger than we imagine.
Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by Ihuomadinihu: 3:31pm On Feb 18, 2015
Ishilove:
'Basket' in ukwuani language is 'apeere' or 'myiyo'. Apere is basket in Yoruba. 'Myi' or 'nnmiri' is water, 'yo' is 'come out' in yoruba language. Myi+yo=basket.

Well, it shows that the Bini influence in Ukwuani history may be stronger than we imagine.
Yeah,no one said there is no influence. Cultural influence or diffusion is bound to happen cos of geographical proximity. Afterall,there are elements of Efik/ibibio language amongst Abia igbo. They never go around saying they are not Igbos.
Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by Nobody: 3:54pm On Feb 18, 2015
Ishilove:

Myiyo could also mean sieve in Igbo. And a basket is basically a sieve.

4 Likes

Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by Ishilove: 3:59pm On Feb 18, 2015
Radoillo:

Myiyo could also mean sieve in Igbo. And a basket is basically a sieve.
I'm not disputing that. I'm just making known my observation.

'Alubosa' is 'onions' in ukwuani and yoruba. 'Albasaal' is onions in arabic.

Nti is 'eti' in Yoruba.

It makes me wonder at the patterns of migration back then.
Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by MrPresident1: 4:10pm On Feb 18, 2015
An interesting thread. I hope this thread will trigger the instinct to search for the true origins of the people called the Negroes who reside in the slave coast of West Africa.
Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by Nobody: 4:16pm On Feb 18, 2015
Ishilove:

I'm not disputing that. I'm just making known my observation.

'Alubosa' is 'onions' in ukwuani and yoruba. 'Albasaal' is onions in arabic.

Nti is 'eti' in Yoruba.

It makes me wonder at the patterns of migration back then.

Yea, it is all interesting. In the East, onions is Yabaasi or (in my own dialect) Alubasa.

It is interesting. Are u Ukwuani, by the way?
Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by Ishilove: 4:22pm On Feb 18, 2015
Radoillo:

Yea, it is all interesting. In the East, onions is Yabaasi or (in my own dialect) Alubasa.

It is interesting. Are u Ukwuani, by the way?
Yes I'm Ukwuani.

I've been considering with the idea that there might be actually a 'mother tongue'. Eastern religions believe Sanskrit is the mother tongue from whence all other tongues originated.

I wouldn't stretch it so far, but I think there might be a central language humans spoke before 'tower of Babel'.
Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by Nobody: 4:30pm On Feb 18, 2015
Ishilove:

Yes I'm Ukwuani.

I've been considering with the idea that there might be actually a 'mother tongue'. Eastern religions believe Sanskrit is the mother tongue from whence all other tongues originated.

I wouldn't stretch it so far, but I think there might be a central language humans spoke before 'tower of Babel'.

Well, linguists believe that 4,000 to 6,000 years ago, all the people who make up the ethnic groups if Southern Nigeria (with the exception of the Ijaw, the Ibibio-Efik and a few others) spoke a common ancestral language which then grew apart until the present day languages appeared.
Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by Ishilove: 4:32pm On Feb 18, 2015
Radoillo:

Well, linguists believe that 4,000 to 6,000 years ago, all the people who make up the ethnic groups if Southern Nigeria (with the exception of the Ijaw, the Ibibio-Efik and a few others) spoke a common ancestral language which then grew apart until the present day languages appeared.
And where did this common ancestral language emanate from?

1 Like

Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by Nobody: 4:46pm On Feb 18, 2015
Ishilove:

It is a complex scenario, actually. I doubt if anyone has an absolute answer yet.
Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by MrPresident1: 4:47pm On Feb 18, 2015
Ishilove:

From the 'East'
Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by Ishilove: 4:48pm On Feb 18, 2015
Radoillo:

It is a complex scenario, actually. I doubt if anyone has an absolute answer yet.
Sanskrit grin
Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by Ishilove: 4:48pm On Feb 18, 2015
MrPresident1:

From the 'East'
East of...?
Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by Nobody: 4:52pm On Feb 18, 2015
Ishilove:

Sanskrit grin

Doubt it! grin Sanskrit may be the mother of Hindu and Gujarati and other languages of Northern India. but the language is way too 'young' to be the ultimate mother language.
Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by Ishilove: 4:56pm On Feb 18, 2015
Radoillo:

Doubt it! grin Sanskrit may be the mother of Hindu and Gujarati and other languages of Northern India. but the language is way too 'young' to be the ultimate mother language.
I know. Jes kidding.

Sat Guru Maharaj Ji thinks otherwise though. It was from him I first heard that Sanskrit is the Mother tongue of creation.

I guess we will find out eventually what this common language is. I'm very interested in knowing.
Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by MrPresident1: 4:58pm On Feb 18, 2015
Ishilove:

East of...?

Genesis 2:8
And the Lord God planted a garden eastward in Eden; and there he put the man whom he had formed.

Eastward of the world. Asia.
Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by Ishilove: 5:02pm On Feb 18, 2015
MrPresident1:

Genesis 2:8
And the Lord God planted a garden eastward in Eden; and there he put the man whom he had formed.

Eastward of the world. Asia.

Very interesting... Tell me more.
Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by MrPresident1: 5:15pm On Feb 18, 2015
Ishilove:

Very interesting... Tell me more.

Ishi, you gotta read, READ.

You will need to make a lot of connections.

Get the book 'History of the Yorubas' by Reverend Samuel Johnson.

Do you know why the whole world thinks the Negro is dumb and st.u.pid?

Deuteronomy 32:30
How should one chase a thousand, and two put ten thousand to flight, except their Rock had sold them, and the Lord had shut them up?

Isaiah 29:14
Therefore, behold, I will proceed to do a marvellous work among this people, even a marvellous work and a wonder: for the wisdom of their wise men shall perish, and the understanding of their prudent men shall be hid.

The Negro civilized the world, yet the whole world thinks he is stupid. He is only shut-in by His God as penitence for his sins. He will rise again.

1 Like

Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by Nobody: 5:26pm On Feb 18, 2015
Ishilove:

I know. Jes kidding.

Sat Guru Maharaj Ji thinks otherwise though. It was from him I first heard that Sanskrit is the Mother tongue of creation.

I guess we will find out eventually what this common language is. I'm very interested in knowing.

If there was a common language, it is probably now extinct. Searching among living languages is probably futile.

I watched a documentary where it was speculated that the earliest language spoken by man may have sounded like the languages spoken by the Khoisan people with their peculiar click sounds.
Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by tonychristopher: 9:03am On Feb 20, 2015
Ishilove:

And that's the same thing in igbo langauge

Myiyo is basket or sieve

Bigger basket is called ekete now this term

2 Likes

Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by victor1464(m): 5:24pm On Mar 25, 2015
d name of our ethnic nationality is ukwuani and we speak,sign,read,pray ukwuani as our language.We like am like dat!!!leave am for us. This has bin d natural identity of my people right from creation and noby can change it. I agree d fact dat ukwuani language has som linguistical similarity with other languages just as urs,but not only urs. Its also similar to ikwere,ekpeye,ika, and edo, it is a fusion of all but its neva d same just like d spanish;latin languages but they are totaly different languages
Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by obuus: 4:53pm On Apr 19, 2015
it is obvious plenty of us are illiterate in Igbo language. if we can channel our energies on this blog to even compile a volume on igbo synonyms, it will do a lot of good. Everyday i realize the language is so deep and diverse,yet with a thread underpinning it. But our people are so mis-educated and the dialects spoken in western igbo had so much deletions. Which really is a mark that it is indigenous and not borrowed!

@Ishilove, pls which clan are you from, that translates "apeere" as basket! i grew up in the Delta and had lived in Enuani, Ukwuani and Ika areas.
Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by Ishilove: 5:11pm On Apr 19, 2015
obuus:
it is obvious plenty of us are illiterate in Igbo language. if we can channel our energies on this blog to even compile a volume on igbo synonyms, it will do a lot of good. Everyday i realize the language is so deep and diverse,yet with a thread underpinning it. But our people are so mis-educated and the dialects spoken in western igbo had so much deletions. Which really is a mark that it is indigenous and not borrowed!

@Ishilove, pls which clan are you from, that translates "apeere" as basket! i grew up in the Delta and had lived in Enuani, Ukwuani and Ika areas.

Abbi
Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by oweniwe(m): 7:10am On Apr 20, 2015
Ishilove:

Yes I'm Ukwuani

I rep..... Ezionum....!!...

Otofee.... cheesy

Abbi shocked shocked shocked

So I get Sister hia and I no know ... embarassed
Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by victor1464(m): 9:43am On May 30, 2015

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply)

Oba Of Benin, Ewuare And His 4 Wives Pictured During Ugie Ododua Ceremony / Coronavirus: Umar Farouk, Emir Of Daura Rushed To Intensive Care Unit / The African Phenotype Diversity Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.