Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,590 members, 7,837,222 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 07:22 PM

Reasons Why Your CV Doesn't Get You A Job Interview Or Responses From Hr's - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Reasons Why Your CV Doesn't Get You A Job Interview Or Responses From Hr's (23168 Views)

Pls Is This A Scam Interview Or Real / Invite From HR Indexx / Shirt And Tie For A Job Interview Or Together With The Suit? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Reasons Why Your CV Doesn't Get You A Job Interview Or Responses From Hr's by charlesucheh(m): 11:48am On Nov 17, 2015
danieloy4:
Many of us complain that we have applied severally to companies via the company website or sent your CV to emails of HR companies and still we dont get responses or job invites for interview can certainly be because of errors on our CV's,mode of application and thr fact that we don't sell ourselves to be employable.
A few of the things am going to share with you are some lessons i also learnt from an ICT workshop training i attended recently organized by CDNET NGO group where some top HR managers gave us hints on what they look for and how to make yourself employable and i also adjusted to them and have recieved positive feedbacks also.
Lets talk about mistakes you can't make on your CV

1)Avoid typographical errors on your CV- Dont need to buttress much on that,we all know what that means,some HR managers all that irritates them are wrong spellings,just one wrong word makes them flip your CV aside,so PLS be mindful, whenever you are editing by yourself or via a biz center, pls be watchful of these mistakes.

2)Dont forward your CV via emails to HR's- No matter how many mails or apllications you want to send to several HR's,dont forward your CV's,send them one by one to each particular email addresses. I know you feel it takes alot of time sending one by one but you get more chances of getting a response from or a job invite than someone that sends bulk emails forwarding. The HR's see all those companies which sometimes might be there competitors that you're also sending your CV to and it shows you dont value them as a company.

3)Write the role of the post or position you are applying as the subject- To be sincere with you, have also been in this category, most times when i also send my resume to companies in my mail,i also would just send them with no subject or role am applying for,until i learnt all those mails end up in spam or junk without the HR managers seeing them. I learnt from these so now if am applying today for any position whether the position is available or not,i put the position there or that i want ot feel i fit into. Even when you apply from job sites and the positions are listed there, put them in the subject of your mail.

4) Attach a short application letter before you send your CV- Write an application letter before you send your CV,it doesn't hurt even if you have attached a cover letter with your resume. E.g My name is...a graduate of...from university of...applying for the position of... In...(company name). I have attached my resume and cover letter as requested to this email etc. At the end put your name,email address and phone no. When you write a short application letter it separates you from others. You could search Google also for samples of application letter.

Sometimes why we dont get responses from HR managers or get interviews is your CV could be wrong;maybe due to limited work experience and some of us apply for roles that dont fit us.
But we can re position ourselves by applying for roles or jobs that fit into our profile,update our CV every time,market your CV by networking, make good impressions on people we meet.
thanks bruv. This write up is really helpful.
Re: Reasons Why Your CV Doesn't Get You A Job Interview Or Responses From Hr's by ninovandross(m): 12:03pm On Nov 17, 2015
If u get kwoanektion degree no matter sef, u go get beyound ur dream job, but God dey sha
Re: Reasons Why Your CV Doesn't Get You A Job Interview Or Responses From Hr's by Rawar: 12:08pm On Nov 17, 2015
Sometime I dey wonder how many minutes your laptop go last after power failure...that thing no be overload to the battery. Bro on your room light.
quote author=damiloladuke post=40111225]lol

DO YOU NEED LAPTOP LIGHTS? CHECK MY SIGNATURE[/quote]
Re: Reasons Why Your CV Doesn't Get You A Job Interview Or Responses From Hr's by InvertedHammer: 12:14pm On Nov 17, 2015
KINGTELLER:
O boi.. naa by grace person dey get invite jaree.. Even format your CV to be super perfect, it's the person HR feel like giving an audience that will be invited.
/
It has nothing to do with grace. If you don't do your assignments and pass exams, God will not give you 2.1

Have you ever heard of good product with bad marketing?

That's what bad CV does to you.

God helps those who help themselves.
/
Re: Reasons Why Your CV Doesn't Get You A Job Interview Or Responses From Hr's by Senorita123(f): 12:18pm On Nov 17, 2015
Remyboyhefty:
Oboy forget dat thing na waec result me take get job for nestle agbara so wailers go die grin
Bros u fit help me too sir...
Re: Reasons Why Your CV Doesn't Get You A Job Interview Or Responses From Hr's by Nobody: 12:34pm On Nov 17, 2015
It's the work of that stupid software called ATS
Re: Reasons Why Your CV Doesn't Get You A Job Interview Or Responses From Hr's by Nobody: 12:42pm On Nov 17, 2015
[size=28pt]
What's the best format for sending your CV, Certificates and Cover Letter? It is PDF or MS-Word?
[/size]
Re: Reasons Why Your CV Doesn't Get You A Job Interview Or Responses From Hr's by JaneKenedy: 12:44pm On Nov 17, 2015
May be gv us a sample of a perfect cv mbok. Nah God's grace jare. Some won't even acknowledge that they got it
Re: Reasons Why Your CV Doesn't Get You A Job Interview Or Responses From Hr's by baarakallah(m): 1:01pm On Nov 17, 2015
Nice 1. Appreciate... But in anything Oluwa is involved. Prayer is always d key.
Re: Reasons Why Your CV Doesn't Get You A Job Interview Or Responses From Hr's by hmuhammad(m): 1:07pm On Nov 17, 2015
Lol!!! You too like end time
lasisi69:
Cause its an End time cv

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why Your CV Doesn't Get You A Job Interview Or Responses From Hr's by Nobody: 1:09pm On Nov 17, 2015
Re: Reasons Why Your CV Doesn't Get You A Job Interview Or Responses From Hr's by Nobody: 1:30pm On Nov 17, 2015
okay.
Re: Reasons Why Your CV Doesn't Get You A Job Interview Or Responses From Hr's by lovethchioma(f): 2:07pm On Nov 17, 2015
I have been guilty of some of those
Re: Reasons Why Your CV Doesn't Get You A Job Interview Or Responses From Hr's by yommysure(m): 2:07pm On Nov 17, 2015
Remyboyhefty:
Oboy forget dat thing na waec result me take get job for nestle agbara so wailers go die grin

For which position in nestle?
Re: Reasons Why Your CV Doesn't Get You A Job Interview Or Responses From Hr's by blessingee: 2:10pm On Nov 17, 2015
walanter:
End time tinz

Can u make one sensible comment at least once in a month like Chelsea pls?
Re: Reasons Why Your CV Doesn't Get You A Job Interview Or Responses From Hr's by yommysure(m): 2:12pm On Nov 17, 2015
Ezechinwa:
[size=28pt]
What's the best format for sending your CV, Certificates and Cover Letter? It is PDF or MS-Word?
[/size]

MS-WORD
Re: Reasons Why Your CV Doesn't Get You A Job Interview Or Responses From Hr's by olatomiwa(f): 2:22pm On Nov 17, 2015
KINGTELLER:
O boi.. naa by grace person dey get invite jaree.. Even format your CV to be super perfect, it's the person HR feel like giving an audience that will be invited.

This is not true. Most candidates do not understand that their CV is a marketing tool.It must say all the right things about what you can do before you are even invited for an interview. Nobody is interested in your local government area or the fact that you like dancing. They want to know the ICT skills you have, the communication skills you have, how you can add value to the role that you are applying for, how you are willing to learn new ideas and technologies to improve your productivity. And some will include a phone number that is not working or an email address that they do not have access to on the CV.

When you give a candidate a cold call to assess the person over the phone and he or she goes...Who be dat??!, you will promptly call the next person.

You will invite some to interview, and they will advise you to reschedule the interview to a later date to enable them rearrange their schedules...

You can imagine...
Re: Reasons Why Your CV Doesn't Get You A Job Interview Or Responses From Hr's by Nobody: 2:26pm On Nov 17, 2015
yommysure:

MS-WORD

Why is Ms-word preferred over Pdf? I heard Ms-word re-formats when it gets to the receiver's PC!
Re: Reasons Why Your CV Doesn't Get You A Job Interview Or Responses From Hr's by Nobody: 2:37pm On Nov 17, 2015
Ezechinwa:

Why is Ms-word preferred over Pdf? I heard Ms-word re-formats when it gets to the receiver's PC!

Application Tracking System used by big firms find it difficult parsing PDF so .doc, .docx or .rtf are preferred.
Re: Reasons Why Your CV Doesn't Get You A Job Interview Or Responses From Hr's by Nobody: 2:50pm On Nov 17, 2015
GetAvenue:

Application Tracking System used by big firms find it difficult parsing PDF so .doc, .docx or .rtf are preferred.

Thanks for your advice.
Re: Reasons Why Your CV Doesn't Get You A Job Interview Or Responses From Hr's by KINGTELLER: 3:11pm On Nov 17, 2015
olatomiwa:

This is not true. Most candidates do not understand that their CV is a marketing tool.It must say all the right things about what you can do before you are even invited for an interview. Nobody is interested in your local government area or the fact that you like dancing. They want to know the ICT skills you have, the communication skills you have, how you can add value to the role that you are applying for, how you are willing to learn new ideas and technologies to improve your productivity. And some will include a phone number that is not working or an email address that they do not have access to on the CV.

When you give a candidate a cold call to assess the person over the phone and he or she goes...Who be dat??!, you will promptly call the next person.

You will invite some to interview, and they will advise you to reschedule the interview to a later date to enable them rearrange their schedules...

You can imagine...

The bolded, what is wrong if applicant seek for reschedule of an interview ?
Re: Reasons Why Your CV Doesn't Get You A Job Interview Or Responses From Hr's by olatomiwa(f): 3:34pm On Nov 17, 2015
KINGTELLER:

It is okay for an experienced candidate that is being head hunted to seek for reschedule but a recruiter will not reschedule interview for a fresh graduate or an inexperienced candidate. Inexperienced candidates are everywhere, the supply is greater than the demand. Simple logic.
Re: Reasons Why Your CV Doesn't Get You A Job Interview Or Responses From Hr's by KINGTELLER: 4:02pm On Nov 17, 2015
olatomiwa:

It is okay for an experienced candidate that is being head hunted to seek for reschedule but a recruiter will not reschedule interview for a fresh graduate or an inexperienced candidate. Inexperienced candidates are everywhere, the supply is greater than the demand. Simple logic.

While I agree on the bolded, I slightly disagree with you considering some circumstances. Maybe this is peculiar to Nigeria recruiters, multinational companies will contact you before hand to know if you will be available at a schedule date of an interview and even though you are inexperienced you can seek for your date of interview to be reschedule (provided there're other batches to be interviewed).
Re: Reasons Why Your CV Doesn't Get You A Job Interview Or Responses From Hr's by olatomiwa(f): 4:11pm On Nov 17, 2015
KINGTELLER:

While I considerably agree with you on the bolded, I slightly disagree with you considering some circumstances. Maybe this is peculiar to Nigeria recruiters, multinational companies will contact you before hand to know if you will be available at a schedule date of an interview and even though you are inexperienced you can seek for your date of interview to be reschedule (provided there is other batches to be interviewed).

I agree with you...this is possible even here in Nigeria.

But a smart candidate should work towards going in at the appropriate time. Go with a good, clear updated CV, dress smartly for the interview (look the part), get there in good time for good composure. Read up about the company online, go to LinkedIn check out the profile of the key members of the company, enter the interview room with a smile and knock them out...my two kobo.
Re: Reasons Why Your CV Doesn't Get You A Job Interview Or Responses From Hr's by KINGTELLER: 4:19pm On Nov 17, 2015
olatomiwa:

I agree with you...this is possible even here in Nigeria.

But a smart candidate should work towards going in at the appropriate time. Go with a good, clear updated CV, dress smartly for the interview (look the part), get there in good time for good composure. Read up about the company online, go to LinkedIn check out the profile of the key members of the company, enter the interview room with a smile and knock them out...my two kobo.

"But a smart candidate should work towards going in at the appropriate time" Yes, you are right but don't forget that the candidate in question is not the one dictating the pace of the interview. S/He has a menial job s/he is doing. So I feel HR personnel should consider and put themselves in the shoes of the applicant (since they can't guarantee the applicant automatic Job offer)
Re: Reasons Why Your CV Doesn't Get You A Job Interview Or Responses From Hr's by Femich18(m): 4:30pm On Nov 17, 2015
Remyboyhefty:
Really dts luvly...Wre r u presently?
Re: Reasons Why Your CV Doesn't Get You A Job Interview Or Responses From Hr's by Nobody: 4:38pm On Nov 17, 2015
olatomiwa:

You can imagine...
I agree with you bro, thats the thing. Thanks for bringing that to mind also about all those funny personal information we write on our CV; LG,single or married and funny hobbies,the job market is so saturated that nobody cares about all those unnecessary hobbies. Its about what you can offer.
Re: Reasons Why Your CV Doesn't Get You A Job Interview Or Responses From Hr's by Unclerukus: 4:52pm On Nov 17, 2015
Remyboyhefty:
Factory job. How much is your salary? Lol.
Re: Reasons Why Your CV Doesn't Get You A Job Interview Or Responses From Hr's by Nobody: 4:52pm On Nov 17, 2015
KINGTELLER:

Really? Well for me i am tempted to feel its probably a fresh graduate that might happen to reason like that or reschedule an interview although if luck shines on you and the HR calling you happens to be generous he might oblige to reschedule but i trust and know that a graduate who might have stayed at home for maybe a year or 2 doing nothing would grab an opportunity like that with thanksgiving.
Re: Reasons Why Your CV Doesn't Get You A Job Interview Or Responses From Hr's by Nobody: 4:53pm On Nov 17, 2015
olatomiwa:

You can imagine...
I agree with you bro, thats the thing. Thanks for bringing that to mind also about all those funny personal information we write on our CV; LG,single or married and funny hobbies,the job market is so saturated that nobody cares about all those unnecessary hobbies. Its about what you can offer.
Re: Reasons Why Your CV Doesn't Get You A Job Interview Or Responses From Hr's by Emeka71(m): 4:57pm On Nov 17, 2015
Story for the Gods.
Re: Reasons Why Your CV Doesn't Get You A Job Interview Or Responses From Hr's by Nobody: 4:58pm On Nov 17, 2015
KINGTELLER:

"But a smart candidate should work towards going in at the appropriate time" Yes, you are right but don't forget that the candidate in question is not the one dictating the pace of the interview. S/He has a menial job s/he is doing. So I feel HR personnel should consider and put themselves in the shoes of the applicant (since they can't guarantee the applicant automatic Job offer)
Really? Did i just hear you say put their themselves in the shoes of the applicant? Am sure that whoever the applicant is never sit down tire for house yet? Have you not seen people that would even be called for interviews and wont still get the job,so there's no guarantee anywhere. Sometimes opportunities that one takes might give guarantee

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Federal Capital Territory Administration (FCTA) Recruitment, July 2017 / Hundreds Of Candidates Disqualified From N-power Jobs / The Dpr Offer (graduate trainee)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.