Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,692 members, 7,816,824 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:01 PM

American Wants To Build Life In Uk Virtually At First - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / American Wants To Build Life In Uk Virtually At First (953 Views)

Black American Wants To Move To Nigeria - Need Advice! / Life In The Usa As A Student. / How Convenient Is Student Life In Austria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

American Wants To Build Life In Uk Virtually At First by cosabella: 1:04am On May 21, 2009
I know this is going to sound weird, but here me out and give me some advice if you will. I am an educated American woman, unmarried, with a full-time job in the US, no criminal record, no kids, etc. I have always wanted to live abroad, next year I hope to start a PhD program at a UK uni, via the distance learning option (I have found a few at reputable UK institutions). Part of the reason I can't just pack up and go to the UK now as a student is because A--I take care of a sick parent, I planned to move a long time ago, but this situation keeps me in a perpetual "dreams deferred"mode. So I finally have decided to just start building the life so that when I can finally get there, I'll have a lot of things already set up. After I finish my studies (2012), even though they will be mostly online, I will in fact still qualify for the graduate visa (I have verified this). Once I earn the PhD, I will also apply for the HSMP (I have a graduate degree now, by then I'll have the required money saved up ((with three verifying bank statements)), and I'll get enough points from the PhD and the fact that it was at a UK uni to qualify me. , I'm in my 30's so I wont get any points for age, etc.) If I am able to move there by then I will and I will seek employment (probably as a professor/instructor), or either try to secure an American job that allows me to work remotely. My plan is to visit the UK later this year (2009) and while I'm there open a mail box that will forward my mail to the US; get a pay as you go mobile, so that if I apply to jobs or need to leave contact information for the bank (I'll get to that), or other businesses, I'll have a UK number on file. I hope to also open a bank account and keep a little money in it, enough to cover monthly fees, and maybe just to wire a small amount of money into every month or quarterly--about 25 GBP a month or 100 GBP every quarter--(I was thinking of using Smile Bank or iBarclays (this is why I'd like a UK mailing address--although I know I will have to show either a letter of acceptance from school or take somekind of qualifying program if I plan to get an account open on my trip this year.) , And yes, I know that I will have to pay taxes on the accounts, I just feel that having systems in place before I make the transition in a few years is best, That way, once there as long as I have a job or a verifyable savings account, I can get housing (that I pay for) without a lot of hassle and I can apply for an ID card and number, maybe later health insurance. UNDERSTAND, I just want to move, and legally--I have no plans to get there and live off the UK resources the way many people think immigrants do. I'm just trying to map out my course because I have no EU ancestry, nor any previous affiliation that will position me for a visa. I'm not opposed to marrying a citizen, BUT I refuse to pay and it just seems too risky; they could back out, or they might have a criminal past or alterior motives and I would NOT be comfortable doing that with someone I barely knew or trusted.
Any thoughts, is preplanning like this a waste of time, or prudent
Thanks in advance.
Re: American Wants To Build Life In Uk Virtually At First by Thadude(m): 5:06am On May 21, 2009
LoL grin, what are u saying? Are u trying to set a strap for Naija guys in the UK who are desperate to come to yanke. Chei, 419 don go balistic.
Nairalanders, beware oh!, This poster used gear-4 in writing this post, push it back to gear-1 and you will understand where he/she is coming from.
Re: American Wants To Build Life In Uk Virtually At First by cosabella: 5:36am On May 21, 2009
Sorry, I honestly have no idea what you just said
Re: American Wants To Build Life In Uk Virtually At First by Omonla(f): 8:26pm On May 21, 2009
cosabella:

I know this is going to sound weird, but here me out and give me some advice if you will. I am an educated American woman, unmarried, with a full-time job in the US, no criminal record, no kids, etc. I have always wanted to live abroad, next year I hope to start a PhD program at a UK uni, via the distance learning option (I have found a few at reputable UK institutions). Part of the reason I can't just pack up and go to the UK now as a student is because A--I take care of a sick parent, I planned to move a long time ago, but this situation keeps me in a perpetual "dreams deferred"mode. So I finally have decided to just start building the life so that when I can finally get there, I'll have a lot of things already set up. After I finish my studies (2012), even though they will be mostly online, I will in fact still qualify for the graduate visa (I have verified this). Once I earn the PhD, I will also apply for the HSMP (I have a graduate degree now, by then I'll have the required money saved up ((with three verifying bank statements)), and I'll get enough points from the PhD and the fact that it was at a UK uni to qualify me. , I'm in my 30's so I wont get any points for age, etc.) If I am able to move there by then I will and I will seek employment (probably as a professor/instructor), or either try to secure an American job that allows me to work remotely. My plan is to visit the UK later this year (2009) and while I'm there open a mail box that will forward my mail to the US; get a pay as you go mobile, so that if I apply to jobs or need to leave contact information for the bank (I'll get to that), or other businesses, I'll have a UK number on file. I hope to also open a bank account and keep a little money in it, enough to cover monthly fees, and maybe just to wire a small amount of money into every month or quarterly--about 25 GBP a month or 100 GBP every quarter--(I was thinking of using Smile Bank or iBarclays (this is why I'd like a UK mailing address--although I know I will have to show either a letter of acceptance from school or take somekind of qualifying program if I plan to get an account open on my trip this year.) , And yes, I know that I will have to pay taxes on the accounts, I just feel that having systems in place before I make the transition in a few years is best, That way, once there as long as I have a job or a verifyable savings account, I can get housing (that I pay for) without a lot of hassle and I can apply for an ID card and number, maybe later health insurance. UNDERSTAND, I just want to move, and legally--I have no plans to get there and live off the UK resources the way many people think immigrants do. I'm just trying to map out my course because I have no EU ancestry, nor any previous affiliation that will position me for a visa. I'm not opposed to marrying a citizen, BUT I refuse to pay and it just seems too risky; they could back out, or they might have a criminal past or alterior motives and I would NOT be comfortable doing that with someone I barely knew or trusted.
Any thoughts, is preplanning like this a waste of time, or prudent
Thanks in advance.

You didn't quite mention the reason why you want to relocate to the UK, except for 'wanting to live abroad' which is probably not good enough if you are caring for a parent; and also due to the current world economy. Just curious, especially since the UK job market is smaller in comparison to the States, and therefore, chances of landing a well paying job would probably be lower for you. Factor in lack of experience as well (if your current job is not already giving you the experience you need after graduation from the PhD program). Also consider the fact that you will be vying for jobs with other UK graduates and professionals who already have UK experience in this already tough market. Note that US experience is not necessarily similar.

Anyway, depending on whether your profession is in a sought-after category in the UK, your plan could be feasible. I don't know much about UK immigration, but there are some UK immigration experts here who would probably be able to tell you whether your plan to go for the HSMP visa is prudent. State your profession first/what you are planning to study, and this would probably help in your getting some advice.
Re: American Wants To Build Life In Uk Virtually At First by Kermitt: 1:49am On May 22, 2009
cosabella, your scheme is tight. Send me a photo of yourself. grin
Re: American Wants To Build Life In Uk Virtually At First by cosabella: 4:19pm On May 22, 2009
RE:You didn't quite mention the reason why you want to relocate to the UK, except for wanting to live abroad' which is probably not good enough if you are caring for a parent; and also due to the current world economy. Just curious, especially since the UK job market is smaller in comparison to the States, and therefore, chances of landing a well paying job would probably be lower for you. Factor in lack of experience as well (if your current job is not already giving you the experience you need after graduation from the PhD program). Also consider the fact that you will be vying for jobs with other UK graduates and professionals who already have UK experience in this already tough market. Note that US experience is not necessarily similar.

Anyway, depending on whether your profession is in a sought-after category in the UK, your plan could be feasible. I don't know much about UK immigration, but there are some UK immigration experts here who would probably be able to tell you whether your plan to go for the HSMP visa is prudent. State your profession first/what you are planning to study, and this would probably help in your getting some advice.

Hi thanks for answering. Where to begin, I have visited the UK and EU a few times (including London -I'm going back for three weeks later this year) I've been to the Republic of Ireland, France a couple of times, Italy and Spain (to teach English with a short program twice in 2005, 2006.) I just prefer Britain and France over the US. I get along better with Europeans better than Americans and I also am very attracted to the life as well as the gentlemen (that is not what I'll be putting on my Tier 1 visa application LOL. I was think something more along the lines of bringing broad and diverse (I may also play up the person of color bit) knowledge of practices in the fields of X, Y, Z, while being culturally emerged in the rich culture and history Britain has to offer. Kind of like a Marshal Plan for the middle aged, and playing up the fact that I am a life long learner and this would be an excellent cultural exchange.) In terms of caring for a sick parent, I will only be moving once I no longer am a caretaker--to be blunt, one my mom passes on. I have accomplished a lot even with my responsibility as a primary care giver (completing my graduate studies while also working a full -time job. , Now that I'm out of school, I also have a PT job and a consulting business on the side.) I have had the same career in media relations/communications for the past 10 years, at MAJOR organizations, ones people have heard of even in the smallest, most remote locations in the world. Too bad they are also considered nonprofits, so even though they are known world wide and celebrated, they don't offer transfer opportunities abroad. Prior to working at my current org, I was a press secretary for an elected official with a large, metropolitan constituency (let's say one of the two largest cities in the US.) I applied once for a job with an elected official in London and was shortlisted for the position, but a citizen (which was probably for the best was given the job.) I mention that to say that while I know competition is stiff, I have the confidence that my qualifications position me as a competitive candidate. After the PhD, I'll also be qualified to teach at the university level, and while I know that it communications, public relations may be a saturated field in the UK--as it is in the US-- I also have fall back experience in film/film production and if I study the film history/psychology PhD at uni, then I am uniquely qualified to teach or work as a researcher in a film dept, or at a US film program with a UK arm. I am also looking at an LLM program or a curatorial program, all of which I have previous experience/studies that I could also leverage along with some US recommendations from leading organizations in those fields.
OK, that's it in a nutshell. Any other tips? I may just try searching for UN, of foreign officer, consular posts as well. I have been all along, but I'll have to wait to apply until, I no longer have commitments in the US. , We shall see,
Re: American Wants To Build Life In Uk Virtually At First by Kermitt: 4:57pm On May 22, 2009
I am sure most people are wondering -- what brought you here to Nairaland? What's your connection to Nigeria?

You're a US citizen, well educated and an experienced professional. I don't think you should have any problems migrating anywhere in this world, especially to a European country. So there's no need to have an elaborate migration plan like what you've proposed. Just save up, and live on your savings until you get a job.
Re: American Wants To Build Life In Uk Virtually At First by cosabella: 6:27pm On May 22, 2009
I found this site on accident, but liked it and found it informative. I am a black american and I have Nigerian relatives. While I realize that does not give me any claim to Nigeria, I think as a person of color--even being an American--I will face similar frustration in the immigration process. Even when I visit UK/EU countires, I am--at least I feel--my documents are scrutinized more carefully than others in my travel group. Upon immigrating I also how to find culturally diverse communities often not seen on the normal radar or the typical american expat settlements.
Thanks for sharing info.
Best.
Re: American Wants To Build Life In Uk Virtually At First by Kermitt: 4:01am On May 23, 2009
Ah, so you have some 9ja in your streams. Why did you start off like some over-achiever oyinbo chick with jungle fever? You are AFRICAN so be proud and make it obvious. Any way, stick to your plan. You have nothing to lose.

(1) (Reply)

Uk Tier 4 Visa Assistant Needed / Does Neco Result Recognise World Wide / My People Share Ur Struggle How You Got Your Visa Passport

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.