Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,631 members, 7,820,223 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:43 AM

Sad Plight Of Health Interns In Nigeria,,, - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Sad Plight Of Health Interns In Nigeria,,, (9800 Views)

Kogi Staff Screening : Staff Of College Of Health Science And Technology Protest / Virology/Lassa Fever Centre Abakaliki Commissioned By Minister Of Health / Agony Of Health Interns By Dr Kene (mbbs) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Sad Plight Of Health Interns In Nigeria,,, by uzolexis(f): 5:28pm On Nov 19, 2015
That is why all our health professionals are running away to countries that value them more. If you compare the number of medical graduates we churn out yearly, to the number of health workers that practise in Nigeria you will notice a very large gap.
I really don't know what exactly is our problem in this our continent (Africa).
Re: Sad Plight Of Health Interns In Nigeria,,, by Doctorate(m): 5:34pm On Nov 19, 2015
Its saddening that even the so called medical elders have chosen to take their eyes off the plight of these youngsters. We should rise up for change. MDCN is not doing enough at all.

1 Like

Re: Sad Plight Of Health Interns In Nigeria,,, by omogin(f): 5:43pm On Nov 19, 2015
The committee of chief medical directors of tertiary health institutions have developed several conduits to siphon govt money and make the sector very sick. Anyways our politicians don't use our health facilities so they don't even bother to check

1 Like

Re: Sad Plight Of Health Interns In Nigeria,,, by uyplus(m): 5:44pm On Nov 19, 2015
quincybee12:
I was happy when I read an article 'plight of intern pharmacists' on swank channel,,,and the person presented 2 case studies @dala orthopaedic hospital,kano and national assembly clinic, Abuja. At least someone was able to voice out the pains of health interns across the country. It is important to note that this sad plight concerns all fresh graduates of health professions eg pharmacists, doctors, lab scientists, radiographers etc .

I'm currently on an internship programme @nafdac,lagos and I'm being owed 5months salary out of my 7month stay, it is very depressing and frustrating as we pay for accomodation, food, transport and other welfare by ourselves. Where do we get the funds to handle this expenses? Our administrators keep giving us excuses such as TSA policy and other gibberish lies whenever we bring up a complaint. Some people even travel to abuja before they get paid, the staffs are being paid when due,,therefore it's questionable why interns who do the bulk work in these institutions ignored. It all boils down to corruption within or outside the institution, ill stop so far,,but I'm calling on health bodies of respective professions,ministry of health and Nigerian government to tackle this menace as soon as possible,,,my 2 cents.

I'm sorry about your plight. This same scenario played out during my internship training at NIPRD, Idu, Abuja (2011/2012 sets). We were 14interns owed for 12months and when we lost our patience we took the issue up via the popular brekete family program on 104.5FM in Abuja. A court notice was served to NIPRD and in less than 5working days our accounts were credited (salaries and arrears) 1week before the deadline for court proceedings were to be initiated.

If you folks can have access to that guy, trust me he will take it upon himself to fight for your cause and your salaries and all accrued arrears will be paid speedily.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Sad Plight Of Health Interns In Nigeria,,, by Bjergtrolde: 5:47pm On Nov 19, 2015
quincybee12:
I was happy when I read an article 'plight of intern pharmacists' on swank channel,,,and the person presented 2 case studies @dala orthopaedic hospital,kano and national assembly clinic, Abuja. At least someone was able to voice out the pains of health interns across the country. It is important to note that this sad plight concerns all fresh graduates of health professions eg pharmacists, doctors, lab scientists, radiographers etc .

I'm currently on an internship programme @nafdac,lagos and I'm being owed 5months salary out of my 7month stay, it is very depressing and frustrating as we pay for accomodation, food, transport and other welfare by ourselves. Where do we get the funds to handle this expenses? Our administrators keep giving us excuses such as TSA policy and other gibberish lies whenever we bring up a complaint. Some people even travel to abuja before they get paid, the staffs are being paid when due,,therefore it's questionable why interns who do the bulk work in these institutions ignored. It all boils down to corruption within or outside the institution, ill stop so far,,but I'm calling on health bodies of respective professions,ministry of health and Nigerian government to tackle this menace as soon as possible,,,my 2 cents.

This is what breeds corruption. How are they expected to survive if not to steal, take bribe etc?
When we wail against corruption, this is where we should start.
5 months without pay? That is criminal
Re: Sad Plight Of Health Interns In Nigeria,,, by quincybee12(f): 6:15pm On Nov 19, 2015
uyplus:

I'm sorry about your plight. This same scenario played out during my internship training at NIPRD, Idu, Abuja (2011/2012 sets). We were 14interns owed for 12months and when we lost our patience we took the issue up via the popular brekete family program on 104.5FM in Abuja. A court notice was served to NIPRD and in less than 5working days our accounts were credited (salaries and arrears) 1week before the deadline for court proceedings were to be initiated.

If you folks can have access to that guy, trust me he will take it upon himself to fight for your cause and your salaries and all accrued arrears will be paid speedily.
nice idea,,,thanks a mil
Re: Sad Plight Of Health Interns In Nigeria,,, by drered(m): 6:43pm On Nov 19, 2015
quincybee12:

Lol.. I Figured this was going to be on here sooner or later. Im a NAFDAC intern too and i strongly believe we should demand for an explaination as to the irregularity in the payment schedule. Personally, i've heard so many things from some unscrupulous individuals fixing the money in a fixed deposit account to out-rightly short changing us. So we really need clarity..
Re: Sad Plight Of Health Interns In Nigeria,,, by bigsmoke2(m): 6:58pm On Nov 19, 2015
Really bad military hospital are also fund of it had a friend who did house job at airforce hospital they were owed over 9 month when they complained they were chased away the guy had go and do supra (work free) at general hospital just to complete his housemanship
Re: Sad Plight Of Health Interns In Nigeria,,, by Nobody: 7:00pm On Nov 19, 2015
quincybee12:

It is well
Re: Sad Plight Of Health Interns In Nigeria,,, by Bollinger(m): 7:03pm On Nov 19, 2015
quincybee12:

If you show this post to someone living in Europe or America they'd be like "it's not possible." Stories like this is what we tell kids to scare them. "if you are not careful, we'll send you back to Nigeria" Lol. . . It's been years i've heard or seen anyone owed salary or allowances. Nigeria is truly and undeniably phucked.
Re: Sad Plight Of Health Interns In Nigeria,,, by Nobody: 7:17pm On Nov 19, 2015
my cousin served in a lagos military hospital. she wasnt paid until after 8 months. the funny thing was that NONE of the interns knew exactly how much there salary was and each of them were paid different ammounts. so pathetic. sad angry
Re: Sad Plight Of Health Interns In Nigeria,,, by nonypop005(f): 8:27pm On Nov 19, 2015
You are right..The whole thing is annoying..I m currently at Nafdac Anambra..Being owned 5 months salary is not a joke and when it's due..It's only one month that you will be paid...Not funny at all
Re: Sad Plight Of Health Interns In Nigeria,,, by Nobody: 10:44pm On Nov 19, 2015
MathsChic:
Hmm.... I'm sure this is not exclusive to health interns.
Gather little sense now! u read it clearly...'Health workers'.
Re: Sad Plight Of Health Interns In Nigeria,,, by sisiafrika(f): 12:26am On Nov 20, 2015
Jacko1:
Why in stating professions you pharmacist b4 doctor..u fo put nurses and physio too as well
hey dullard, can you please go back to kindergarten and learn spellings? Please, be snappy about that, assss!
Re: Sad Plight Of Health Interns In Nigeria,,, by bjay13: 9:44am On Nov 20, 2015
Guy,b aware dat ur salary was well approved by govt and duely appropriated for u to be paid. Pls,do wateva u can to get ur pay.
Re: Sad Plight Of Health Interns In Nigeria,,, by quincybee12(f): 10:34am On Nov 20, 2015
bjay13:
Guy,b aware dat ur salary was well approved by govt and duely appropriated for u to be paid. Pls,do wateva u can to get ur pay.
tanx,,,im actually lookn 4 measures to take,,,
Re: Sad Plight Of Health Interns In Nigeria,,, by ElPhoche(m): 6:10pm On Nov 20, 2015
HastaCuando:
............ in another news Federal Government Scholars in China are going hungry as a result of unpaid scholarship allowances. Since January 2015, and still counting....
Nigerian Government, what is happening?. Do we wait till these scholars start protesting, so they would be tagged unpatriotic or better still an embarrassment to the nation? Nobody cares of what they are currently undergoing in trying to make ends meet. cry cry cry. This is very unfair!!!
The thing tire me. I am under the Federal government scholarship program too. They have not paid us for the 2014/2015 session and we are entering the 2015/2016 My friend has not even received his 2013/2014 money that we received He was told that the money was channelled to more important things

(1) (2) (Reply)

Simple & Natural Ways To Become Virgin Again / Key Facts About Yellow Fever / Ex MBGN, Emmanuella Yaboh Organizes Breastcancer Awareness Program In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.