Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,718 members, 7,831,256 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 04:17 PM

I'm Tired Of Frightening Prayers And Sermons In Church - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / I'm Tired Of Frightening Prayers And Sermons In Church (1376 Views)

Mountain of Fire and Miracle Ministry Sermons / 10 Sermons Most Young Ladies Will Likely Turn Deaf Ears To / Download & Listen to Inspirational Sermons By Bishop T D Jakes!!!! mp3 format (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I'm Tired Of Frightening Prayers And Sermons In Church by shinystar(m): 4:35pm On May 21, 2009
I have observed a rather unfortunate trend among churches in Nigeria. They promote this culture of fear among members, telling them one witch or the other is after their lives. Each sunday, Nigeria are inudated with how someone or one spirit is after them. The goal, I understand, is to make them pray hard.

But how much do we tell them people God is much more out to protect them from satanic attempts? Are we not magnifying the devil by telling pple constantly how much he is after them? Should we be promoting fear or faith among pple?

I hope some of us have noticed this too and have one contribution or the other to make.

1 Like

Re: I'm Tired Of Frightening Prayers And Sermons In Church by bindex(m): 5:52pm On May 21, 2009
Religion thrives on fear. Without fear there will be NO religion. all religions were created out of the fear of the many and the cleverness of a few.
Re: I'm Tired Of Frightening Prayers And Sermons In Church by Nobody: 5:54pm On May 21, 2009
bindex:

Religion thrives on fear. Without fear there will be NO religion. all religions were created out of the fear of the many and the cleverness of a few.

That's absurd and untrue. The christianity i grew up on harped on love the most . . .

1 Like

Re: I'm Tired Of Frightening Prayers And Sermons In Church by shinystar(m): 6:05pm On May 21, 2009
Davidylan,

I concur totally but how come we teach revenge as against love these days? These days, we ask our enemies to die instead of praying for them. We suspect everybody, including our parents, believing everyone is after us. How did we get here?
Re: I'm Tired Of Frightening Prayers And Sermons In Church by huxley2(m): 7:02pm On May 21, 2009
Fear is the key that unlocks the wallet
Re: I'm Tired Of Frightening Prayers And Sermons In Church by bawomolo(m): 7:12pm On May 21, 2009
huxley2:

Fear is the key that unlocks the wallet

GBAM GBAM. 

That's absurd and untrue. The christianity i grew up on harped on love the most . . .

would you be a christian if hell wasn't an option?
Re: I'm Tired Of Frightening Prayers And Sermons In Church by ThiefOfHearts(f): 7:16pm On May 21, 2009
Its not to make them pray hard, its to make them give money for "spiritual protection"
Re: I'm Tired Of Frightening Prayers And Sermons In Church by Nobody: 7:39pm On May 21, 2009
bawomolo:

would you be a christian if hell wasn't an option?

When i was a young man, i went to church NOT because i understood hell or even gave it more than a passing thought, but because daddy and mommy always went.
Now that i'm an adult, i go to church because without Christ my life is as good as empty. Hell has nothing to do with it, if christianity was all about avoiding hell there would be no need to pray or go to church . . . you may as well wait until you know you are about to die to confess and go to heaven.

Now let me ask a critical question . . . are you so whipped up about christianity because you are afraid hell might be an existing option for you?

1 Like

Re: I'm Tired Of Frightening Prayers And Sermons In Church by Nobody: 7:40pm On May 21, 2009
shinystar:

Davidylan,

I concur totally but how come we teach revenge as against love these days? These days, we ask our enemies to die instead of praying for them. We suspect everybody, including our parents, believing everyone is after us. How did we get here?

poverty.

I see wonderful christians here who love the Lord, not because they have enemies chasing them or they need money or they want a visa or are asking for protection from armed robbers . . . they just simply love the Lord.
Re: I'm Tired Of Frightening Prayers And Sermons In Church by bawomolo(m): 7:47pm On May 21, 2009

Now that i'm an adult, i go to church because without Christ my life is as good as empty. Hell has nothing to do with it, if christianity was all about avoiding hell there would be no need to pray or go to church . . .

But if there was no consequence to not being a Christian, then why be one. Couldn't your live be filled if you were a Buddhist monk?  It seems you are scared or think your life would be empty without christ.  Like i said before, don't take bawo seriously.

Now let me ask a critical question . . . are you so whipped up about christianity because you are afraid hell might be an existing option for you?

I won't say whipped but indifferent to Christianity.  I don't care what happens after death.  No one knows what would happen so why should i even care.
Re: I'm Tired Of Frightening Prayers And Sermons In Church by Horus(m): 9:31pm On May 21, 2009
This creation of fear is about Money!.The concept of hell and a devil with a pitchfork standing in front of an open furnace, are all things put in your minds by religious leaders for their own personal gain. The more you believe in their concept of hell, the more frightened you become and the more you will pay for the religious leaders to forgive your sins and redeem your souls.
Re: I'm Tired Of Frightening Prayers And Sermons In Church by Nobody: 10:23pm On May 21, 2009
Its hell . . . no its about money . . . nah i say hell . . . holy smokes! Wait! Its about the pocket . . .

Dear atheists, when are you going to make up your minds?
Re: I'm Tired Of Frightening Prayers And Sermons In Church by pilgrim1(f): 10:50pm On May 21, 2009
bindex:

Religion thrives on fear. Without fear there will be NO religion.

'NO religion' - including atheistic religions, yes? In other words, even atheistic religions were borne out of fear, no?

bindex:

all religions were created out of the fear of the many and the cleverness of a few.

Okay, your say. Now, atheists with atheistic religions can quit worrying from their own fears.
Re: I'm Tired Of Frightening Prayers And Sermons In Church by bawomolo(m): 11:08pm On May 21, 2009
pilgrim.1:

'NO religion' - including atheistic religions, yes? In other words, even atheistic religions were borne out of fear, no?

Okay, your say. Now, atheists with atheistic religions can quit worrying from their own fears.

Would you be a Christian if there was no hell to fear?
Re: I'm Tired Of Frightening Prayers And Sermons In Church by pilgrim1(f): 11:44pm On May 21, 2009
bawomolo:

Would you be a Christian if there was no hell to fear?

And what has that got to do with the fear in atheistic religions?
Re: I'm Tired Of Frightening Prayers And Sermons In Church by bawomolo(m): 12:25am On May 22, 2009
pilgrim.1:

nothing at all, just a question i would like answered.

What atheistic religions are u talking about though?
Re: I'm Tired Of Frightening Prayers And Sermons In Church by bindex(m): 12:43am On May 22, 2009
pilgrim.1:

Atheistic religions  grin grin grin. Sure I agree that all religions are borne out of the fear of people including atheistic religions like  communism.

Most atheist do not have a religion.
Re: I'm Tired Of Frightening Prayers And Sermons In Church by tpiah: 5:20am On May 22, 2009
the prayers are because of people like these

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-274844.0.html

You know how we are in Africa.
Re: I'm Tired Of Frightening Prayers And Sermons In Church by pilgrim1(f): 6:43am On May 22, 2009
bindex:

Atheistic religions grin grin grin. Sure I agree that all religions are borne out of the fear of people including atheistic religions like communism.

Lol, I don't know if communism is a religion - that would be a first on me.

bindex:

Most atheist do not have a religion.

No, most atheists like to think so; and not everyone who doesn't have a 'religion' could be called an atheist.
Re: I'm Tired Of Frightening Prayers And Sermons In Church by shotster50(m): 6:50am On May 22, 2009
Personally I think its time the church did a rethink on the doctrine currently being used. The message of love , for oneself, for your fellow humans is steadly growing thinner. People are only being hearing what the want to hear in church. This is creating an atmosphere of superstitions among christians. Isnt that what christianity is meant to abolish in the first place
Re: I'm Tired Of Frightening Prayers And Sermons In Church by pilgrim1(f): 6:59am On May 22, 2009
shotster50:

Personally I think its time the church did a rethink on the doctrine currently being used. The message of love , for oneself, for your fellow humans is steadly growing thinner. People are only being hearing what the want to hear in church. This is creating an atmosphere of superstitions among christians. Isnt that what christianity is meant to abolish in the first place

Your point is carried. However, such unfortunate development shouldn't take us by surprise since they were predicted to occur. You remember things like 'the love of many will wax cold', etc. Conversely, such times as these should challenge believers to understand why they believe in Christ in the first place (Eph. 1:18 - 'that ye may know what is the hope of his calling').
Re: I'm Tired Of Frightening Prayers And Sermons In Church by pilgrim1(f): 7:41am On May 22, 2009
bawomolo:

pilgrim.1 link=topic=274918.msg3904438#msg3904438 date=1242945865:

nothing at all, just a question i would like answered.

Okay. My answer to your initial question is yes - I would still be a Christian if hell was never mentioned. For me, knowing Christ is not about a certain fear, but rather about His grace that has proven true in my life.

As bindex opined though, he believes all religions including atheistic religions are borne out of fear - which was why my initial response to him.

bawomolo:

What atheistic religions are u talking about though?

Oh, but you should know that there are so many, many atheistic and atheist religions in the world. Atheist writers have written confirming this, and I mentioned a few examples in another thread:

[list] * Are there Any Atheistic Religions? Can an Atheist Be Part of Any Religion?

*Some quote:
Finally, there are Atheistic religions (Greek: without god). These have no creator god as such (although there may be spirits and other exotic entities). Buddhism is an example (the Buddha is a human who has reached enlightenment), Jainism (with its Tirthankas, or teachers), Confucianism, Taoism (these last two are more philosophies than god-driven religions).
[/list]
Re: I'm Tired Of Frightening Prayers And Sermons In Church by shinystar(m): 9:20am On May 22, 2009
It is not about fear or hell for me. I am having a swell time, following Jesus. I am following Him because I love him. If he shuts down hell today, I will still follow him.

1 Like

Re: I'm Tired Of Frightening Prayers And Sermons In Church by Nobody: 4:32pm On May 22, 2009
shinystar:

I have observed a rather unfortunate trend among churches in Nigeria. They promote this culture of fear among members, telling them one witch or the other is after their lives. Each sunday, Nigeria are inudated with how someone or one spirit is after them. The goal, I understand, is to make them pray hard.

But how much do we tell them people God is much more out to protect them from satanic attempts? Are we not magnifying the devil by telling pple constantly how much he is after them? Should we be promoting fear or faith among pple?

I hope some of us have noticed this too and have one contribution or the other to make.

Could you name churches?

shinystar:

Davidylan,

I think those prayers about enemies dying don't work. Why?

Jas 4:3 Ye ask, and receive not, because ye ask amiss, that ye may consume it upon your lusts. {lusts: or, pleasures}
(KJV)

It's God's will that all should come to repentance. So when we pray against God's will, we might as well be yelling into the next person's ear for nothing.

Horus:

This creation of fear is about Money!.The concept of hell and a devil with a pitchfork standing in front of an open furnace, are all things put in your minds by religious leaders for their own personal gain. The more you believe in their concept of hell, the more frightened you become and the more you will pay for the religious leaders to forgive your sins and redeem your souls.

I put it to you that any church or "church leader" who asks people to pay for their sins to be forgiven is a fake. Quote me anywhere.

ThiefOfHearts:

Its not to make them pray hard, its to make them give money for "spiritual protection"

Proper churches try to bring the congregation up spiritually. If there's a church that's content with the fact that the people aren't growing and that the people pay the pastor to pray for them, then they need to be checked.

The church I attend right now takes an "exercise your faith" line. The Bible doesn't say only pastors have authority or power, every son of God does. So they teach that people shouldn't believe there's nothing they can do and that only the pastor can do anything. When people believe that, there wouldn't be a reason to pay the pastor. And if the pastor was living on their money, he wouldn't preach that.
Re: I'm Tired Of Frightening Prayers And Sermons In Church by chrisj2000(m): 2:36pm On Nov 10, 2011
hmmmmmm
Re: I'm Tired Of Frightening Prayers And Sermons In Church by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 2:38pm On Nov 10, 2011
chrisj2000:

Bible says that god is omnipotent and that he loves us. If we are to believe the bible, then we shouldn't be afraid of anything. Bible says that liar Jesus has overcome all powers of darkness, so how did Satan and his agents escape the annihilation? ignorance is the greatest promoter of faith. Nigeria roads are replete with potholes, and 50%of the drivers passed no driving test. When accident happen the clever criminal minded pastors blames it on the devil.
only a fool or a blind person will believe the bible.

Only a f00l is unable to separate the wheat from the chaff wink
Re: I'm Tired Of Frightening Prayers And Sermons In Church by Nobody: 3:59pm On Nov 10, 2011
When you have been attacked numerous times by spirits like I have and u have felt your soul almost leaving your body when u had a fit of hypertension just like I did once then u will know that there is a spiritual realm. We will all account for our sins before God eventually. Just u wait, Oh and juju is real, it's very very real
Re: I'm Tired Of Frightening Prayers And Sermons In Church by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:56pm On Nov 10, 2011
christianity survives on fear while the old religions fought fear with fear, just as diamond cuts diamond and poison fights poison.

(1) (Reply)

I Percieve That 80 Percent Of The World Population Will Burn In Hell / Tbj Saw Austin Plane Crash, Bill Clinton In Hospital And Niger's Coup / Christ’s Teaching On Earthly Acquisitions And Wealth

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.