Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,631 members, 7,809,358 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:17 AM

Similarities And Differences Between Ilaje And Itsekiri - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Similarities And Differences Between Ilaje And Itsekiri (49058 Views)

The Umale Festival Of The Ilaje And Itsekiri People / Some Things To Note About Urhobo And Itsekiri / Some Similarities Between Ijaw , Urhobo And Itsekiri (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Similarities And Differences Between Ilaje And Itsekiri by IlekeHD: 8:41am On Nov 22, 2015
jaymichael:
I so love that Ekiti accent. I kinda have this deep love for the different Yoruba dialects and accents. Reminds me of my childhood when I was exposed to different Yoruba dialects and accents growing up. We used to travel home a lot. My paternal grandmother has a farm in our home town (Abata) she has in Ondo state and we used to travel to those farms alot from Ibadan. (probably this influenced my love for the tranquility of rural, idyllic settings).
My maternal grandmother speaks only the Ijebu yoruba to us, thank God she stays in Lagos and not far from us. Though I cannot speak Ijebu but thanks to my maternal grandmother, I have a good understanding of Ijebu. Besides, we used to travel to Remo very often as a kid so mixing with the village kids and communicating wasn't a problem, I understand their Ijebu, they understand my general yoruba. I get surprised when my father's people say they don't understand ijebu that the language is hard. What I thought comes naturally to me is really I was privileged to be in a situation to make me understand Ijebu. Funny though, it is my understanding of Ijebu that i use to pick and follow (to a small extent though) other yoruba dialects because I was able to pick out the linguistic similarities.
#Proudly omoYoruba
#A race of giants.

smiley @ the bolded.

It's awesome how almost all Yorubas understand the standard Yoruba. It's like the "English" language for us, it unites us.

Omo Ijebu, o kaabo.

You sound "posh" sha. Hope you can SPEAK Yoruba.

1 Like

Re: Similarities And Differences Between Ilaje And Itsekiri by Odunharry(m): 8:57am On Nov 22, 2015
dejavski:
Yes oh GGMU
Do you know that the following personalities are ilajes?: - Anthony Joshua(2012 Olympics gold winning British boxer) - Akpororo(Bowoto Jephta) - Seyi Law(Seyi Aletile) - Oritsefemi(ilaje mother) - Ayiri(ilaje mother)
Just hearing that of Seyi law and akpororo...

1 Like

Re: Similarities And Differences Between Ilaje And Itsekiri by jaymichael(m): 8:59am On Nov 22, 2015
IlekeHD:

smiley @ the bolded.

It's awesome how almost all Yorubas understand the standard Yoruba. It's like the "English" language for us, it unites us.

Omo Ijebu, o kaabo.

You sound "posh" sha. Hope you can SPEAK Yoruba.
Well, I speak yoruba just like any Ajegunle bred would. My father is actually Ibadan, my mother Ijebu. I mixed more with people from other tribes than yorubas because the area of Ajegunle I grew up in has a larger population of Igbos and other tribes than yorubas. This really affected my yoruba accent and the way I speak it.
The island I now stay, has an almost equal amount of Awori, Egun and Ilajes.

1 Like

Re: Similarities And Differences Between Ilaje And Itsekiri by dejavski(m): 9:47am On Nov 22, 2015
rahazaqa:
what u saying? Aiyelala is here in Ijebu, Ago iwoye to be precise.

Did you not see where I mentioned why the south eastern parts of SW are different in terms of culture compared to the other yorubaland?
Re: Similarities And Differences Between Ilaje And Itsekiri by dejavski(m): 9:48am On Nov 22, 2015
onuwaje:

In itsekiri it's iyatsere ologbotsere
We also av umalokun as for names I met an ilaje boy by d name of edema in camp

Yeah ilajes bear edema Ajimisaye Onerije etc

Even ur name sounds ilaje lol

1 Like

Re: Similarities And Differences Between Ilaje And Itsekiri by Nobody: 9:51am On Nov 22, 2015
Which of ilaje/itsekiri has the "egberi"? -it's a local news broadcast.
Re: Similarities And Differences Between Ilaje And Itsekiri by dejavski(m): 10:11am On Nov 22, 2015
wytecat:
Talking about what you don't know is almost sinful. You just don't know what you just said. There's no difference in the monarchical heritage among Yoruba. Every family in Yorubaland has a tradition of worshipping one of the gods. In my family it's ogun(and I'm sure most of my sisters, brothers and cousins don't know this but, because I was raised by my grandmother and regarded as omo agba I had some information about them)while the next door neighbor was Ayelala. Go to interior part of ogun and see families that worship Olokun, every family has orisa, though many are moving away from them in big cities but many go to the villages to worship them secretly. In small towns you would see imale/oro families, mention the orisa and you will find the worshippers in Yoruba land. Do you know that we even have witches festival? You have to be in the rural areas to see it. All the orisa you worship are from Yoruba.

You want me to google what happened in 14th to 19th century? Sorry google is not credible enough for that, just about anything can be found on google. You can only speak for your tribe and not Yoruba.

There was never an empire close to Oyo in all of the south of Nigeria, and you don't need google to tell you that if you can see clearly.

There should be a kind of backup to your claims that there were great empires in yorubaland. Things like historical texts and artifacts Should give proof just like the Great Benin Empire. At least they have backup of their historical claim. The iyoba artifact comes to mind. Also their historical texts can be found in the British museum.

Like I said earlier the only close group to ours in SW are the ijebus and our ondo brothers.
I will like to know the meaning of the following monarchical title in yoruba:
-yasere?
-logbosere?
-oliha?
Please enlighten me to know which dialect in yorubaland bears these titles apart from ilajes
Re: Similarities And Differences Between Ilaje And Itsekiri by onuwaje(m): 10:32am On Nov 22, 2015
dejavski:

Yeah ilajes bear edema Ajimisaye Onerije etc

Even ur name sounds ilaje lol
Let's know d meaning of my name in ilaje tongue
Re: Similarities And Differences Between Ilaje And Itsekiri by oluamid(m): 10:39am On Nov 22, 2015
Ilaje44:

Well, omo baba kan ni kete ria. Oju obo lo kan yato.

Lmao! grin grin grin grin

The Akokos (I dunno if all of them) also substitute the i for u i.e ule - Ile etc.

1 Like

Re: Similarities And Differences Between Ilaje And Itsekiri by scholes0(m): 10:39am On Nov 22, 2015
dejavski:

In my opinion yoruba is more like a group of people with mutual relationship that have lived together for a long time in peace and harmony. In other words you cannot call yoruba a tribe. This is because most of these clans do not have common cultural and monarchial heritage.
I haven't come across anywhere in yorubaland where they celebrate Aiyelala or umale or umalokun festival as it's being celebrated here in ilaje.
Same also lies to other dialects such as Owo Ikale and so on.
The only thing you can celebrate general is the Ogun festival which is also celebrated in Benin.
For the monarchical System, the ilaje System was derived from benin Kingdom. The same applies t ikales.
Why didn't we hear of a dominant yoruba Empire in the 14th century up till 19th century? Even the Oyo empire we hear of had its boundaries and territories(google it) it didn't extend to the eastern parts such as ijebus Owos ilajes ikales etc

It is on record that Ekiti, Ijesha, Ikale, Ilaje, Akure, Ogho (Owo), Ijebu, Akokos, Okun/Yagba and other Yoruba groups of the Eastern half, were never under the Oyo empire.
Re: Similarities And Differences Between Ilaje And Itsekiri by ayyoshert: 10:49am On Nov 22, 2015
Ilaje44:

Well, omo baba kan ni kete ria. Oju obo lo kan yato.
your ekiti is cool, but I will say ' omo a'ba kan ni kete ra' the 'kan' intonation is in the low tone unlike the normal Yoruba which will be in high tone. I have read some of your old topics on Ilajr, especially the one that talked on Ilaje being a Yoruba group and their relationship with the Urhobo. I have visited Ilaje, I went to Igbokoda, Aiyetoro, Araromi, Ugbo and I passed through Mahin. I love your place. It shows how diverse the Yoruba tribe is, I understand the dialect easily, due to the fact that I am from Ekiti, the intonation and speech and some words are close to ours, but unfortunately someone coming from Oshogbo or ogbomosho might be lost and think he is somewhere outside Yoruba land. I will love it if you can do a new write up on the Ilaje people, I want to read about the Ikale and Akoko people too and their association with the binis.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Similarities And Differences Between Ilaje And Itsekiri by oluamid(m): 10:49am On Nov 22, 2015
dejavski:

In my opinion yoruba is more like a group of people with mutual relationship that have lived together for a long time in peace and harmony. In other words you cannot call yoruba a tribe. This is because most of these clans do not have common cultural and monarchial heritage.
I haven't come across anywhere in yorubaland where they celebrate Aiyelala or umale or umalokun festival as it's being celebrated here in ilaje.
Same also lies to other dialects such as Owo Ikale and so on.
The only thing you can celebrate general is the Ogun festival which is also celebrated in Benin.
For the monarchical System, the ilaje System was derived from benin Kingdom. The same applies t ikales.
Why didn't we hear of a dominant yoruba Empire in the 14th century up till 19th century? Even the Oyo empire we hear of had its boundaries and territories(google it) it didn't extend to the eastern parts such as ijebus Owos ilajes ikales etc

We all know that the term 'Yoruba' is relatively new and loosely used to describe the peoples who live in south western Nigeria. The real question is: Do the Ilaje trace their history to Ife (the ancestral home of the Yorubas) or not? That, I think, will put paid to the issue once and for all.

1 Like

Re: Similarities And Differences Between Ilaje And Itsekiri by scholes0(m): 10:52am On Nov 22, 2015
Firstman01:
Which of ilaje/itsekiri has the "egberi"? -it's a local news broadcast on ondo TV in those days while I was in ondo.

Egberi is for the ijaw speaking population.
Neither Ilaje nor Itsekiri.
Re: Similarities And Differences Between Ilaje And Itsekiri by Nobody: 11:18am On Nov 22, 2015
scholes0:

Egberi is for the ijaw speaking population.
Neither Ilaje nor Itsekiri.

Waoh. I never knew. Thank you. I guess you ar from owo.? Only ppl who live there can pronounce it(ogho) d way u did.

1 Like

Re: Similarities And Differences Between Ilaje And Itsekiri by poryby: 11:19am On Nov 22, 2015
Re: Similarities And Differences Between Ilaje And Itsekiri by Fhowe: 11:48am On Nov 22, 2015
Na so my Ilaje brothers dey here (our king is the 2nd richest monarch in Africa ) proud to be an Ilaje boy any day anytime am from ugbo nla

1 Like

Re: Similarities And Differences Between Ilaje And Itsekiri by joelpearl: 11:58am On Nov 22, 2015
Djicemob:
Nice one goodboiyy...i've always thought about this too when i did my service in ondo years back.So much similarities i found find out between the two tribes.I also found that most itsekiris have some kind of connection with the ilajes are vice versa....even your's truly.
the ilajes & itsekiris also share boundaries.
Re: Similarities And Differences Between Ilaje And Itsekiri by Elebiju: 12:42pm On Nov 22, 2015
Rajosh:
the Ilajes are very accommodating. my friends posted there for their PPAs said they're being paid 25k monthly. I wanted to be posted there but as God will have it,I was posted to akure.
25k ko 25m ni, you won't get a dime if you serve there.
Re: Similarities And Differences Between Ilaje And Itsekiri by Elebiju: 12:43pm On Nov 22, 2015
Fhowe:
Na so my Ilaje brothers dey here (our king is the 2nd richest monarch in Africa ) proud to be an Ilaje boy any day anytime am from ugbo nla
ayemafughe......
Re: Similarities And Differences Between Ilaje And Itsekiri by Elebiju: 12:48pm On Nov 22, 2015
Odunharry:

lol.... igbokoda Abi mayin or ugbo? chose one... lol
he has a long list to choose fromAbealala
Abereke
Aboto
ilepete
Agerige

Agba

Agbala

Agbala Olopemeji

Ago Doroh
Ago Ijebu

Ago Ikuebolati
Ago Lulu
Ago Olomidegun
Akata
Araromi

Aruwayo
Asisa
Atijere
Aiyetoro

Betiegbofo
Broke Camp
Ebute Ipare
Ehin - Osa
Elegboro
Ereke
Ereke Majofodun
Ereke Makuleyi
Erunna Ikorigho Erunna Isale Erunna Atia Erunna Odun Erunna Ero

Etigho
Ewa

Gbabijo
Holy Centre

Ibila
Ideghele

Idi Egben

IdI OGBA
Igbegunrin
Igbo - Okuta
Igbobi
Igbokoda
igboedu
Igbolomi
Igogun
Ikale Camp
Ilefifun

Iloro
Ilu Sosi
Imoluwa
Ipepe

Ita - Age
Italita Camp
Itebukunmi
Job Camp
Korolo
Kugbonre
Kurugbene
Legha
Lerenren
Logede Camp
Madagbayi
Magbehinwa
Magbojuri
Mahin
Mahintedo
Maran
Moferere
Mogunyanje
Motiala
Motoro
Obinehin

Ode Etikan
Odun Akitubuwa

Odun Oloja
Odun Oluma
Odun Oroyo
Odunmogun
Ogorogo
Ohaketa Camp
Ojan
Oke Etigho
Okishilo
Okesiri

Okoga
Okunniyi
Olosunmeta
Olopo

Opolo
Orere - Ara
Oribero
Orimoloye
Orioke Iwamimo
Oriranyin
Orofin Camp
Oropo Zion
Oroto
Oroyomi
Pete-Inu
Piawo
Ramasilo
Seja Odo
Seja Oke
Seluwa
Tedo Camp
Temidire

Tomoloju
Tomoloju Camp
Ugbo
Ugbonla
Obe-idapĆ³
Obe-nla
Obe-Ogbaro
Apata-Ilaje
Uhapen Upare Zion Ipepe

Zion Gbabijo
Zion Igbokoda
Zion Mahintedo
Zion Ogogoro
Mine is abealala and ebute ipare.
Re: Similarities And Differences Between Ilaje And Itsekiri by Elebiju: 12:55pm On Nov 22, 2015
Ilaje44:

Aburo, aiye ma f'uge ke. Wo jeji mi ranti ule. O ti pe yi mo ti je ogolaale ati obe orugbo eyi an fi eja arighon abi okodo ghee. E le!
lemi je okodo bayi? Biwo ba fe je orugbo sodidi wa mu osan ne tabi aso or agbadagiri. Bo sepe wo fe je ogulale wa mu igbagba ne yeeeeh asogbon bami waje gbagbe ule.
Ayemafughe ilaje.
Oruko mi eti change o
Emi Omo elebiju
Omo asogbon agie
Omo usu ule e obe.

1 Like

Re: Similarities And Differences Between Ilaje And Itsekiri by Elebiju: 12:56pm On Nov 22, 2015
Odunharry:
Ilaje aiye mafuge...
awaye, awayeye ni mahin awayeye ni ugbo.
Re: Similarities And Differences Between Ilaje And Itsekiri by Elebiju: 1:01pm On Nov 22, 2015
mydex93:
meh gbe nii ya ilaje ooooo...I really dnt knw exactly where we re 4rm in ilaje ooo#coversface#not my fault bur my Dads..he never takes us home..all we jus knw is we are 4rm ilaje in ondo state.
you've got no problem bro, biwo ba ma oruko bare we can trace your origin bi we ba ti se oma bikiri. For example my family name is ELEBIJU and any ilaje man can easily trace my origin.
Ayemafughe.

1 Like

Re: Similarities And Differences Between Ilaje And Itsekiri by YourNemesis: 1:07pm On Nov 22, 2015
Ilaje Ayemafuge!!!

mo ki aghan oma omuro dede!

1 Like

Re: Similarities And Differences Between Ilaje And Itsekiri by YourNemesis: 1:08pm On Nov 22, 2015
Proudly Ilaje guy from Mahin !

1 Like

Re: Similarities And Differences Between Ilaje And Itsekiri by dejavski(m): 2:02pm On Nov 22, 2015
onuwaje:

Let's know d meaning of my name in ilaje tongue

Someone that prosperity befits
One uwa je grin

1 Like

Re: Similarities And Differences Between Ilaje And Itsekiri by dejavski(m): 2:03pm On Nov 22, 2015
YourNemesis:
Ilaje Ayemafuge!!!

mo ki aghan oma omuro dede!

Oma omuro mo ki re le
Ko se gha?

1 Like

Re: Similarities And Differences Between Ilaje And Itsekiri by wytecat: 2:03pm On Nov 22, 2015
You must be living in a lala land to not have seen or heard about artifacts of Yoruba culture. The museum of natural history in Atlanta held a Yoruba festival with display of hundreds of artifacts but we are yet to see one held for bini, that's because bini don't have enough to put on display and whatever bini have was not originally theirs, and museum had to go to the source.

What do they mean in your language?

iyasere = is a female/mother title
'Iogbosere' this spelling is not clear enough but anything ogboni is Yoruba
Olisa = lower king, we still have olisa of ijebu ode.

I'm not saying ilaje are Yoruba, you saw me asked ilaje44, and he couldn't say yes or no, but at least this explains the reason some biafra maps have ondo as part of their territory, and I've just learnt something new. I call people what they want to be called.

dejavski:

There should be a kind of backup to your claims that there were great empires in yorubaland. Things like historical texts and artifacts Should give proof just like the Great Benin Empire. At least they have backup of their historical claim. The iyoba artifact comes to mind. Also their historical texts can be found in the British museum.

Like I said earlier the only close group to ours in SW are the ijebus and our ondo brothers.
I will like to know the meaning of the following monarchical title in yoruba:
-yasere?
-logbosere?
-oliha?
Please enlighten me to know which dialect in yorubaland bears these titles apart from ilajes

1 Like

Re: Similarities And Differences Between Ilaje And Itsekiri by dejavski(m): 2:04pm On Nov 22, 2015
Elebiju:
awaye, awayeye ni mahin awayeye ni ugbo.

Oma ilepete mo gha rin oh grin
Re: Similarities And Differences Between Ilaje And Itsekiri by dejavski(m): 2:08pm On Nov 22, 2015
wytecat:
You must be living in a lala land to not have seen or heard about artifacts of Yoruba culture. The museum of natural history in Atlanta held a Yoruba festival with display of hundreds of artifacts but we are yet to see one held for bini, that's because bini don't have enough to put on display and whatever bini have was not originally theirs, and museum had to go to the source.
What do they mean in your language?

iyasere = is a female/mother title
'Iogbosere' this spelling is not clear enough but anything ogboni is Yoruba
Olisa = lower king, we still have olisa of ijebu ode.

I'm not saying ilaje are Yoruba, you saw me asked ilaje44, and he couldn't say yes or no, this explains the reason some biafra maps have ondo as part of their territory, and I've just learnt something new. I call people what they want to be called.

Yasere - king spokesperson/second in command
Logbosere - kingmaker
Oliha - chief priest

NB: as an ijebu person that you are we have no qualms with you people as we r one
One love
@ the bolded ilaje was and has never been part of biafra...it's a fictional map...though ilaje was under Benin Kingdom back then.
Was there anything like biafra in the 19th century?
I doubt
Re: Similarities And Differences Between Ilaje And Itsekiri by dejavski(m): 2:12pm On Nov 22, 2015
Elebiju:
lemi je okodo bayi? Biwo ba fe je orugbo sodidi wa mu osan ne tabi aso or agbadagiri. Bo sepe wo fe je ogulale wa mu igbagba ne yeeeeh asogbon bami waje gbagbe ule.
Ayemafughe ilaje.
Oruko mi eti change o
Emi Omo elebiju
Omo asogbon agie
Omo usu ule e obe.

Oye hi aghan asogbon mi je?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Ooni And Wuraola Visit Sultan Of Sokoto In His Palace. See Photos / Ooni Of Ife Radiates In His Newly Refurbished Palace, Amidst Marriage Separation / Village Women Gathered To Flog Man Who Beats His Wife (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.