Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,891 members, 7,814,010 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 12:50 AM

Similarities And Differences Between Ilaje And Itsekiri - Culture (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Similarities And Differences Between Ilaje And Itsekiri (49116 Views)

The Umale Festival Of The Ilaje And Itsekiri People / Some Things To Note About Urhobo And Itsekiri / Some Similarities Between Ijaw , Urhobo And Itsekiri (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Similarities And Differences Between Ilaje And Itsekiri by ipromise: 10:29am On Dec 07, 2015
mydex93:
Aiyemafuge Ilaje oooooo
awa yeye oo
Re: Similarities And Differences Between Ilaje And Itsekiri by DiademSh07: 1:36pm On Dec 18, 2015
dejavski:

How do you recognise a tribe? They share the same culture and traditional beliefs. Please help me outline one of these two things that is being shared across all territories in yorubaland?
Why don't you tell us Ilaje's culture and traditional belief that differs from the fellow Yorubas!

5 Likes

Re: Similarities And Differences Between Ilaje And Itsekiri by dejavski(m): 10:30pm On Dec 18, 2015
DiademSh07:

Why don't you tell us Ilaje's culture and traditional belief that differs from the fellow Yorubas!

FESTIVITIES

Though the Ilaje are scattered in various places along the coastal lines, at various times of the year, they all returnto their home base in Ondo to celebrate some of their festivals, which include: masquerading (the Umale festival), Malokun (a fertility festival for the goddess of the sea), regatta and periodically, the Epo (Raffia-costumed masquerade), which was used to scare the people of Ife before the Moremi saga.
During these celebrations, there is the uniquely polyphonic renditions of both the Biripo traditional music and the Ilaje spirituals of the Zion Christian sect.
They also offer supplications to great river goddess known as Aiyelala a a place called "ita aiyelala"

MONOARCHIAL SYSTEM

Ugbo is the major town in Ilaje land and is under the paramount ruler known as the OLU-UGBO of ugbo.
Beside ugbo, there are three other major clans,These include Mahin, Aheri and Etikan. Aheri is presided over by the Maporure and Etikan is headed by the Onikan of Etikan while Ugbo is headed by the Amapetu of Mahin.
The other royal titles include:
Oliha - The Chief Priest
Ologbosere - The King Maker
Iyasere - The King's Spokesperson/Second in command
Re: Similarities And Differences Between Ilaje And Itsekiri by macof(m): 10:52pm On Dec 18, 2015
dejavski:

FESTIVITIES

Though the Ilaje are scattered in various places along the coastal lines, at various times of the year, they all returnto their home base in Ondo to celebrate some of their festivals, which include: masquerading (the Umale festival), Malokun (a fertility festival for the goddess of the sea), regatta and periodically, the Epo (Raffia-costumed masquerade), which was used to scare the people of Ife before the Moremi saga.
During these celebrations, there is the uniquely polyphonic renditions of both the Biripo traditional music and the Ilaje spirituals of the Zion Christian sect.
They also offer supplications to great river goddess known as Aiyelala a a place called "ita aiyelala"

MONOARCHIAL SYSTEM

Ugbo is the major town in Ilaje land and is under the paramount ruler known as the OLU-UGBO of ugbo.
Beside ugbo, there are three other major clans,These include Mahin, Aheri and Etikan. Aheri is presided over by the Maporure and Etikan is headed by the Onikan of Etikan while Ugbo is headed by the Amapetu of Mahin.
Oliha - The Chief Priest

Which of this defers from fellow yorubas?

2 Likes

Re: Similarities And Differences Between Ilaje And Itsekiri by dejavski(m): 10:54pm On Dec 18, 2015
macof:

Which of this defers from fellow yorubas?

What I am saying is why are other clans not following this pattern of monarchial system?
It looks kinda unique to me
Re: Similarities And Differences Between Ilaje And Itsekiri by macof(m): 11:06pm On Dec 18, 2015
dejavski:

What I am saying is why are other clans not following this pattern of monarchial system?
It looks kinda unique to me

There's very little unique to Yoruboid groups when compared with others. . Not that there's non o. But we have interacted so much that you can easily find something among at least 2 yoruba subgroups

Olu-ugbo is unique? That's a throne heavily tied with Obamakin of Ife.

6 Likes

Re: Similarities And Differences Between Ilaje And Itsekiri by dejavski(m): 11:09pm On Dec 18, 2015
macof:

There's very little unique to Yoruboid groups when compared with others. . Not that there's non o. But we have interacted so much that you can easily find something among at least 2 yoruba subgroups

Olu-ugbo is unique? That's a throne heavily tied with Obamakin of Ife.

Aside from olu-ugbo.
But the rest sounds edoid in my opinion. I think the link between yorubas and binis might be the Ilajes
Re: Similarities And Differences Between Ilaje And Itsekiri by teetee123: 7:28am On Dec 19, 2015
macof:

I don't know where "ile" ever denotes origin. . Its all new to me. So what does "Eko-ile" denote?

What other idos came from idole?

Among the Egbas, "lle" is called Orile and it refers to the origin or earlier settlement of a section of the group. Almost all part of Abeokuta has an Orile located elsewhere in Ogun State even in the present Oyo State
This shows where the group came from before settling down in Abeokuta

2 Likes

Re: Similarities And Differences Between Ilaje And Itsekiri by DiademSh07: 3:18pm On Dec 19, 2015
dejavski:

FESTIVITIES

MONOARCHIAL SYSTEM

Oliha - The Chief Priest
I just don't know what to say to this!
Do you live in Ondo state at all? Because all this tradition/cultures are no different from the Ondo kingdom, Ile-oluji/Okeigbo etc, only Akure, Akoko people differs a bit! Even Ekiti axis are no different from Ilaje! In fact, the Akoko people are more closer to the bini and their tradition vastly differs from the Ilaje!
Ondo kingdom in particular celebrates Umale and Aiyelala! As a matter of fact, they always say if aiyelala's curse descend on an individual, the said individual's stomach becomes big!
That being said, the said monarchy system is also no different! How does 'Amapetu', Onikan et al sounds bini?

4 Likes

Re: Similarities And Differences Between Ilaje And Itsekiri by dejavski(m): 4:26pm On Dec 19, 2015
DiademSh07:

I just don't know what to say to this!
Do you live in Ondo state at all? Because all this tradition/cultures are no different from the Ondo kingdom, Ile-oluji/Okeigbo etc, only Akure, Akoko people differs a bit! Even Ekiti axis are no different from Ilaje! In fact, the Akoko people are more closer to the bini and their tradition vastly differs from the Ilaje!
Ondo kingdom in particular celebrates Umale and Aiyelala! As a matter of fact, they always say if aiyelala's curse descend on an individual, the said individual's stomach becomes big!
That being said, the said monarchy system is also no different! How does 'Amapetu', Onikan et al sounds bini?
You are the one having serious comprehension issue here.... I mentioned it before that the Yoruba clans similar to the Ilaje culture and traditions are the southeastern yorubas . Tell me where these cultures are celebrated in oyo, osun kwara
You have not said anything as regards the bolded monarchial system I highlighted though

Who are the southeastern yorubas?
Ijebus ikales ilajes Ekitis Ondos owos
As regards the bini ties? Yes! The ilajes have historical ties with the binis
Re: Similarities And Differences Between Ilaje And Itsekiri by DiademSh07: 5:25pm On Dec 19, 2015
dejavski:

You are the one having serious comprehension issue here.... I mentioned it before that the Yoruba clans similar to the Ilaje culture and traditions are the southeastern clans. Tell me where these cultures are celebrated in oyo, osun kwara
You have not said anything as regards the bolded monarchial system I highlighted though
Whatever!
You are the one trying too hard to attach Ilaje to the Binis where there's no similarity! Infact, the Akoko are more closer to the Binis than Ilaje yet they are still regarded as Yoruba!
And what monarchial system are you talking about?
You mean there are no Chief priest, king maker, King's spoke person in Ondo, Idanre, Ile-oluji et al! What do you think 'Lobun', the King spokesperson does in Ondo? stuff her mouth with food? LOL!

8 Likes

Re: Similarities And Differences Between Ilaje And Itsekiri by DiademSh07: 6:10pm On Dec 19, 2015
dejavski:

You are the one having serious comprehension issue here.... I mentioned it before that the Yoruba clans similar to the Ilaje culture and traditions are the southeastern yorubas . Tell me where these cultures are celebrated in oyo, osun kwara

Who are the southeastern yorubas?
Ijebus ikales ilajes Ekitis Ondos owos
As regards the bini ties? Yes! The ilajes have historical ties with the binis
Whether it's southeastern or central, the fact remains they are all Yoruba sharing common descent from Ife!

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Similarities And Differences Between Ilaje And Itsekiri by macof(m): 7:25am On Dec 20, 2015
teetee123:

Among the Egbas, "lle" is called Orile and it refers to the origin or earlier settlement of a section of the group. Almost all part of Abeokuta has an Orile located elsewhere in Ogun State even in the present Oyo State
This shows where the group came from before settling down in Abeokuta
Yes yes orile denotes origin. . There's a difference between ile and orile. Go to imesi ile or Ido ile the Obas there can never claim origin of other imesi or Ido

2 Likes

Re: Similarities And Differences Between Ilaje And Itsekiri by macof(m): 5:40pm On Dec 20, 2015
dejavski:

Aside from olu-ugbo.
But the rest sounds edoid in my opinion. I think the link between yorubas and binis might be the Ilajes

Diadem has answered you

1 Like

Re: Similarities And Differences Between Ilaje And Itsekiri by scholes0(m): 9:39pm On Dec 20, 2015
dejavski:

Aside from olu-ugbo.

Why do you want to be Bini so bad?
Hian!

Even within Edo there are many other ethnic groups who are NOT binis and who wouldn't want to be one either.
Just saying my own though.

4 Likes

Re: Similarities And Differences Between Ilaje And Itsekiri by dejavski(m): 9:57pm On Dec 20, 2015
scholes0:

Why do you want to be Bini so bad?
Hian!

Even within Edo there are many other ethnic groups who are NOT binis and who wouldn't want to be one either.
Just saying my own though.

I don't want to be Bini so bad. I just want to know why we share similar monarchial ruling system. There has to be something somewhere that hasn't been clarified on this matter

1 Like

Re: Similarities And Differences Between Ilaje And Itsekiri by scholes0(m): 10:06pm On Dec 20, 2015
dejavski:

I don't want to be Bini so bad. I just want to know why we share similar monarchial ruling system. There has to be something somewhere that hasn't been clarified on this matter

Because of influences from the neighboring Benin empire. That isn't too hard to figure out.
two neighboring groups can not live that close to each other without exchanging ideas.
there are examples of Bini cultural imports as far away as Lagos and Ado Ekiti, so this is not a phenomenon limited to Ilaje people.

2 Likes

Re: Similarities And Differences Between Ilaje And Itsekiri by dejavski(m): 10:32pm On Dec 20, 2015
scholes0:

Because of influences from the neighboring Benin empire. That isn't too hard to figure out.
two neighboring groups can not live that close to each other without exchanging ideas.
there are examples of Bini cultural imports as far away as Lagos and Ado Ekiti, so this is not a phenomenon limited to Ilaje people.
I was doing one research and I came across one in which our former olugbo(mafimisebi) claimed that the binis borrowed the title from us and that we r the original owners. To much controversies in our histories in this part of the world.

U can do that research on ur own later
Re: Similarities And Differences Between Ilaje And Itsekiri by lawani: 5:01am On Mar 09, 2016
It is better to just note that we are all Ife people. We speak Yoruba mainly and other languages found up to Eastern Ghana but we are thesame people of Ife who should be in one country really.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Similarities And Differences Between Ilaje And Itsekiri by Nobody: 4:44pm On Jan 11, 2017
dejavski:

God bless the ijaw nation

Up barca!!! I saw what u guys did there....thumbs up

#proudly MUFC
I want to ask why ijaw people are stubborn?
Re: Similarities And Differences Between Ilaje And Itsekiri by dejavski(m): 10:08pm On Jan 11, 2017
charliboy654:

I want to ask why ijaw people are stubborn?

Ijaw stubborn? Naa....I wouldn't call it stubbornness....i would rather say they are resilient and are not easily intimidated
Re: Similarities And Differences Between Ilaje And Itsekiri by ImperialYoruba: 6:10am On Jan 14, 2017
scholes0:

Both Ilaje and Itsekiri are actually:
Oma Ilaje Dede
Oma Iwerre Dede

It is the contraction of the 'A' ending the Oma, and the 'I' beginning the Iwerre that causes a vowel to be omitted and everything pronounced as "Omiwerre Dede" , when the phrase is being pronounced fastly in speech.
Standard Yoruba on the other hand say 'Omo Yoruba gbogbo" , not Fefe ... grin However, the use of the word "Dede" to mean 'All' or 'Entire' is not restricted to just Ilaje and Itsekiri. It is a feature of south-Eastern yoruba dialects such as Owo, Ilaje, Ikale, Ondo, Siluko/Usen and Okada.

Spot on.
I think the Ilajes are the closest Yoruba group to the Itsekiris.

Dede, to mean all, is actually used broadly in Yorubaland.

I told someone last week to stand by the "iganna" and she had no clue what iganna is. A 30yr old Yoruba woman. I asked if she knew what "aja" is, no clue of that either.

Iganna is wall. If i said ogiri she knew that. Aja is loft. If i said oke she knew that.

It is pity no one has followed behind the good works of Bishop Crowther and evolve Yoruba grammar and syntax for better enrichment and usage within the commonwealth.

Good job to OP reaffirming bonds and kinship.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Similarities And Differences Between Ilaje And Itsekiri by Olu317(m): 1:46pm On Jan 16, 2017
sanmibukunmi:
actually the issue of 'Dede' is no difference to me....in omawummi's song, she said the phrase "ewo omo were Dede "..... I knew exactly what she meant because Dede and omi are both words spoken in ijesha accent which I am from. I haven't come in contact with an ilaje before but I have heard itshkiri and I quite pick up most of their words when spoken slowly....
“Dede" is an ancient word used by all Yoruba groups. But due to language development,some give way for new ones though the rural speakers of Yoruba dialects still uses it and many other ones . Another EXAMPLE IS “fó"(speak/say ) or ko fó(what do you say?) mo fó(I say or speak) which has given way to... Sò (speak /say) ki lo sò (what do you say?) mo sò ( I say/speak)the latter is adhere to because it is mostly spoken/ used in Yoruba cities..Virtually all ancient Yoruba words are spoken by all Yoruba groups but due to twist in tongue in pronunciation make it look difficult to city people but rural people converse among themselves irrespective of the clan each comes from.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Similarities And Differences Between Ilaje And Itsekiri by YourNemesis: 1:53pm On Jan 16, 2017
Olu317:
“Dede" is an ancient word used by all Yoruba groups. But due to language development,some give way for new ones though the rural speakers of Yoruba dialects still uses it and many other ones . Another EXAMPLE IS “fó"(speak/say ) or ko fó(what do you say?) mo fó(I say or speak) which has given way to... Sò (speak /say) ki lo sò (what do you say?) mo sò ( I say/speak)the latter is adhere to because it is mostly spoken/ used in Yoruba cities..Virtually all ancient Yoruba words are spoken by all Yoruba groups but due to twist in tongue in pronunciation make it look difficult to city people but rural people converse among themselves irrespective of the clan each comes from.

like 60% of Yorubas use a form of dede
Ekitis (Including Akure and Idanre) have it transformed into Kete, Owos into Gede, Ikales and Ijebus as Dede.

I believes the Oyos are the ones that say "Gbogbo" and that was the form that caught on with modernity.... Ajayi crother effect at work.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Similarities And Differences Between Ilaje And Itsekiri by Olu317(m): 2:13pm On Jan 16, 2017
YourNemesis:

like 60% of Yorubas use a form of dede
Ekitis (Including Akure and Idanre) have it transformed into Kete, Owos into Gede, Ikales and Ijebus as Dede.

I believes the Oyos are the ones that say "Gbogbo" and that was the form that caught on with modernity.... Ajayi crother effect at work.
ABEOKUTA USES IT TOO.. OYO WAS THE PLACE WHERE ANCIENT YORUBA LANGUAGE ALMOST PAVED WAY FOR THE NEW ONES BUT THE RURAL PEOPLE WHO WERE THE ARCHAIC SPEAKERS REFUSED BECAUSE YORUBA LANGUAGE IS MORE CODED IN IFA EULOGY.TAKE FOR INSTANCE,ELEDUMARE NEARLY CHANGED TO OLODUMARE, IRE TO IWO, BA/BAA (FATHER) TO BABA (BAARE-YOUR FATHER) BAMI/UBAMI/BAA MI(BABA MI) (MY FATHER), words like èri(ori)èriki(oriki)Elua(Olua/Oluwa) Yè/YeYe(MOTHER)IYA-yeire(your mother) etc. Truly Bishop Ajayi crowther and Rev. Samuel Johnson were the ones that did it though credence must be given to them to standardize the language inline with OYO NASAL PRONUNCIATION. Anyway, Yoruba are people I AM PROUD TO BE PART OF BECAUSE OF OUR UNIQUENESS IN THE WORLD.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Similarities And Differences Between Ilaje And Itsekiri by Olu317(m): 2:26pm On Jan 16, 2017
ImperialYoruba:

Dede, to mean all, is actually used broadly in Yorubaland.

I told someone last week to stand by the "iganna" and she had no clue what iganna is. A 30yr old Yoruba woman. I asked if she knew what "aja" is, no clue of that either.

Iganna is wall. If i said ogiri she knew that. Aja is loft. If i said oke she knew that.

It is pity no one has followed behind the good works of Bishop Crowther and evolve Yoruba grammar and syntax for better enrichment and usage within the commonwealth.

Good job to OP reaffirming bonds and kinship.
That is decadence to which ancient Yoruba word are being thrown away. Iganna simply mean “wall" and when you direct someone to stand beside the wall duo or du ro si ibi/ara/égbé iganna. God help us ooo. Young people are really loosing the Yoruba language and I hope our Yoruba anguage won't be whipped out of existence due to Nigeria. The Yoruba people in diaspora of whom either as a result of slave trade or self imposed exile for greener pasture look unto the YORUBA PEOPLE AT HOME TO PUT THEM THROUGH. I sincerely hope Yoruba people will do justice to this damning problem. And salvage the language.

1 Like

Re: Similarities And Differences Between Ilaje And Itsekiri by lawani: 4:02pm On Jan 16, 2017
Olu317:
That is decadence to which ancient Yoruba word are being thrown away. Iganna simply mean “wall" and when you direct someone to stand beside the wall duo or du ro si ibi/ara/égbé iganna. God help us ooo. Young people are really loosing the Yoruba language and I hope our Yoruba anguage won't be whipped out of existence due to Nigeria. The Yoruba people in diaspora of whom either as a result of slave trade or self imposed exile for greener pasture look unto the YORUBA PEOPLE AT HOME TO PUT THEM THROUGH. I sincerely hope Yoruba people will do justice to this damning problem. And salvage the language.

IGANNA (DO DO MI) MEANS FENCE WHILE OGIRI (DO RE RE) IS WALL, I WOULD SAY! THEY ARE NOT EXACTLY SAME WORDS LIKE FENCE AND WALL ARENT!

ON DEDE AND GBOGBO, IT IS AMAZING THAT GBOGBO IS USED MORE AMONG OYOS THOUGH OYOS ALSO SAY DEDE, IT IS AMAZING BECAUSE GBOGBO MIGHT BE MORE ANCIENT THAN DEDE! GBOGBO ALSO OCCURS IN IGBO LANGUAGE AND OYOS DONT BORDER WITH IGBOS! REALLY FUNNY! TAKE AN IGBO NAME LIKE ONUIGBO, IT MEANS MOUTHPIECE OF EVERYBODY. NDIGBO MEANS EVERYBODY JUST LIKE IDI GBOGBO MEANS EVERYBODY. SO HOW COME OYOS USE GBOGBO MORE WHILE THOSE NEARER IGBOS USE DEDE? THAT IS A MYSTERY!. HOWEVER, THE MAIN YORUBAS DONT BORDER WITH IGBOS, APART FROM THE OLUKUNMI IN DELTA STATE.
Re: Similarities And Differences Between Ilaje And Itsekiri by Olu317(m): 6:54pm On Jan 16, 2017
lawani:

IGANNA (DO DO MI) MEANS FENCE WHILE OGIRI (DO RE RE) IS WALL, I WOULD SAY! THEY ARE NOT EXACTLY SAME WORDS LIKE FENCE AND WALL ARENT!

ON DEDE AND GBOGBO, IT IS AMAZING THAT GBOGBO IS USED MORE AMONG OYOS THOUGH OYOS ALSO SAY DEDE, IT IS AMAZING BECAUSE GBOGBO MIGHT BE MORE ANCIENT THAN DEDE! GBOGBO ALSO OCCURS IN IGBO LANGUAGE AND OYOS DONT BORDER WITH IGBOS! REALLY FUNNY! TAKE AN IGBO NAME LIKE ONUIGBO, IT MEANS MOUTHPIECE OF EVERYBODY. NDIGBO MEANS EVERYBODY JUST LIKE IDI GBOGBO MEANS EVERYBODY. SO HOW COME OYOS USE GBOGBO MORE WHILE THOSE NEARER IGBOS USE DEDE? THAT IS A MYSTERY!. HOWEVER, THE MAIN YORUBAS DONT BORDER WITH IGBOS, APART FROM THE OLUKUNMI IN DELTA STATE.
IT IS SAME IN A WAY .. FOR INSTANCE. IF ONE IS ACCUSED OF JUMPING OVER THE WALL, OGIRI IS MORE MODERN THAN IGANNA. IT CAN BE INTERCHANGE FOR EACH OTHER. FOR INSTANCE IF IT IS SAID AS ..O FO IGANNA..IT IS JUMPING OVER A WALL OR FENCE IN AWAY. DO YOU UNDERSTAND? WALL'S DEFINITION is a barrier or a continuous upright structure forming a side of a building or enclosing or dividing an area of land While FENCE is a barrier made of wire or wood enclosing an area. Though WALL IS more definite but both are synonyms when defined. .
Re: Similarities And Differences Between Ilaje And Itsekiri by Olu317(m): 7:26pm On Jan 16, 2017
lawani:

GBOGBO been used by OyO was borne out development of Yoruba language in the olden days and borrowed words from other Ethnic groups .It is just as Lagos been developing heavily a modem Yoruba language more modern than OyOs of this world and being accepted majorly now by all Yoruba speaking groups Please don't follow the footsteps of some people who tried to compare Yoruba language to Ibos with similarities because Yoruba language has in it many languages either of semetic/asiatic/egytians etc and also with our neighouring tribes but are quite different in many ways.Words in Yoruba can be spelled as same in Ibos but doesn't mean the same. I have seen journal online /documents written before 19th century with the use of the word “Igbo"was solely used by Yoruba nation. Until around 1920s or 1930s that Ibos changed the name associated with them which was written as Igbos OR IBOS .Yoruba language are different with due respect because it is enshrined in IFA EULOGY/Praise . Even Ebira that has been Yoruba neighbour for thousands of years are known by ancient Yoruba people as different from them.
Re: Similarities And Differences Between Ilaje And Itsekiri by lawani: 11:11pm On Jan 16, 2017
Olu317:
IT IS SAME IN A WAY .. FOR INSTANCE. IF ONE IS ACCUSED OF JUMPING OVER THE WALL, OGIRI IS MORE MODERN THAN IGANNA. IT CAN BE INTERCHANGE FOR EACH OTHER. FOR INSTANCE IF IT IS SAID AS ..O FO IGANNA..IT IS JUMPING OVER A WALL OR FENCE IN AWAY. DO YOU UNDERSTAND? WALL'S DEFINITION is a barrier or a continuous upright structure forming a side of a building or enclosing or dividing an area of land While FENCE is a barrier made of wire or wood enclosing an area. Though WALL IS more definite but both are synonyms when defined. .

WHEN YOU TALK OF INDOOR WALL FOR INSTANCE, THAT IS ALWAYS OGIRI AND THAT IS NOT FENCE. SO THE TWO WORDS ARE ACTUALLY DIFFERENT. FO IGANNA IS JUMP OVER A FENCE. YOU DONT SAY FO OGIRI. THEY ARE TWO DIFFERENT WORDS. ONE IS FENCE AND ONE IS WALL.
Re: Similarities And Differences Between Ilaje And Itsekiri by lawani: 11:21pm On Jan 16, 2017
Olu317:
GBOGBO been used by OyO was borne out development of Yoruba language in the olden days and borrowed words from other Ethnic groups .It is just as Lagos been developing heavily a modem Yoruba language more modern than OyOs of this world and being accepted majorly now by all Yoruba speaking groups Please don't follow the footsteps of some people who tried to compare Yoruba language to Ibos with similarities because Yoruba language has in it many languages either of semetic/asiatic/egytians etc and also with our neighouring tribes but are quite different in many ways.Words in Yoruba can be spelled as same in Ibos but doesn't mean the same. I have seen journal online /documents written before 19th century with the use of the word “Igbo"was solely used by Yoruba nation. Until around 1920s or 1930s that Ibos changed the name associated with them which was written as Igbos OR IBOS .Yoruba language are different with due respect because it is enshrined in IFA EULOGY/Praise . Even Ebira that has been Yoruba neighbour for thousands of years are known by ancient Yoruba people as different from them.

DESPITE IGBOS NOT SHARING BORDER WITH YORUBA, THE TWO GROUPS SHARE A HUGE NUMBER OF WORDS. THE SHARED WORDS ARE VERY MANY AND THE GBOGBO IS ONE OF THEM

GBO MEANS ALL IN BOTH TONGUES
OKUTA MEANS STONE
OKA MEANS MAIZE
GIRIPA OR DIMKPA IS ADULT MALE
IGBA MEANS TIME
AGBALA MEANS COURTYARD
AKUKO OR OKUKO MEANS COCK
EWU OR EWURE IS GOAT
SO IS SUO MEANS SAY
ULO AKWUKWO IS ILE EKO SCHOOL

THERE ARE MANY SUCH WORDS. QUESTION NOW IS HOW DID OYOS MANAGE TO RETAIN GBO AS ALL WHILE THE GROUPS NEAREST TO IGBOS USE DEDE? THAT IS AN ACADEMIC QUESTION. I HOPE YOU SEE THE POINT!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Similarities And Differences Between Ilaje And Itsekiri by Olu317(m): 7:24am On Jan 17, 2017
lawani:

DESPITE IGBOS NOT SHARING BORDER WITH YORUBA, THE TWO GROUPS SHARE A HUGE NUMBER OF WORDS. THE SHARED WORDS ARE VERY MANY AND THE GBOGBO IS ONE OF THEM

GBO MEANS ALL IN BOTH TONGUES
OKUTA MEANS STONE
OKA MEANS MAIZE
GIRIPA OR DIMKPA IS ADULT MALE
IGBA MEANS TIME
AGBALA MEANS COURTYARD
AKUKO OR OKUKO MEANS COCK
EWU OR EWURE IS GOAT
SO IS SUO MEANS SAY
ULO AKWUKWO IS ILE EKO SCHOOL

THERE ARE MANY SUCH WORDS. QUESTION NOW IS HOW DID OYOS MANAGE TO RETAIN GBO AS ALL WHILE THE GROUPS NEAREST TO IGBOS USE DEDE? THAT IS AN ACADEMIC QUESTION. I HOPE YOU SEE THE POINT!
I SEE YOUR POINT THOUGH THERE IS AN ASPECT YOU DIDNT PUT INTO CONSIDERATION. IT IS ON MIGRATION TENDENCIES. DURING IRON AGE, MANY OF ILE IFE PEOPLE MIGRATED TOWARDS THE EAST VIA KABBA AND BINI THUS INTRODUCE SOME YORUBA RELIGION SUCH AS IFA WHICH THE IBOS CALLED EFA.THIS WAS AS A RESULT VIA OLUKUMI AND THE LIKES. AND CONTACT WAS ESTABLISHED WITH YORUBA BUT YORUBA HAVE ONE VERY STRONG BELIEF ABOUT THEMSELVES BECAUSE OF THEIR SELF ACLAIMED SUPERIORITY. THIS IS THE REASON GENERATION TO GENERATION. YORUBA FAMILY KEEP REFERRING TO THEIR PLACE OF ORIGIN AS ILE IFE (YORUBA LAND) NO MATTER THE LOCATION WHERE THEY FIND THEMSELVES IN DIASPORA, EITHER VIA ANCIENT SLAVE TRADE OR GREENER PASTURE PURPOSE. ARE THE YORUBA THE ONLY GROUP WHO WERE TRANSPORTED AS SLAVE? CAPITAL “NO",YET THEY ARE THE ONLY WELL PRONOUNCED PEOPLE RECONNECTING TO ILE IFE .THIS IS THE POINTER TO RESEARCH

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Moment Oba Of Lagos Returned To His Palace After Two Months (Video) / Ooni Performs Ifa Festival Where Kolanut Is Mysteriously Swallowed By Ground(piç / What You Don't To Know About Alligator Pepper_ose Oji

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.