Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,437 members, 7,836,740 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 12:10 PM

Ohanaeze Berates Lagos Over Ban On Eze Ndigbo - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ohanaeze Berates Lagos Over Ban On Eze Ndigbo (1870 Views)

Ohanaeze Supports Ban On Eze Ndigbo Title - National Mirror / Akure Youths Flogged Eze-ndigbo Out Of Deji Of Akure, Oba Aladetoyinbo Palace / Lagos Govt Sued Over Ban On Eze Ndigbo Title (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ohanaeze Berates Lagos Over Ban On Eze Ndigbo by jona2: 1:23am On May 22, 2009
Ohanaeze berates Lagos over ban on Eze Ndigbo   
Written by James Ezema     
Friday, 22 May 2009 

[b]As Igbo leaders continue to greet Lagos State Government’s reported withdrawal of its recognition of Eze Ndigbo title in the state with outcry, Ohanaeze Ndigbo, a pan-Igbo socio-cultural group, has said the state government has no power to outlaw the title as it (the title) was chosen by Ndigbo as a rallying point outside Igboland to further unity and welfare of Igbo people in diaspora. President of Ohanaeze Ndigbo in the state, Chief John Nzewi, made the position of the group known at a press briefing in Lagos, explaining that the Eze Ndigbo title is a matter that concerns Igbo culture and tradition.  Present at the briefing were the secretary, Chief Thompson Ohia, other state executives and chairmen of Ohanaeze in local councils in the state.

The body observed that the state government was too hasty in arriving at its decision without consultation with those who created the title both at home and abroad, adding that there is only one Eze Ndigbo in the state in person of Eze Nwabueze Ohazurike.

“It is on record that Ohanaeze Ndigbo, just like many other Igbo socio-cultural organisations, played a crucial role in the creation of the title of Eze Ndigbo outside Igboland. “The title has served us effectively as a rallying point in towns and cities outside Igboland. It has helped us in preserving and projecting our culture also,” Ohanaeze said

Noting that there are evident abuses of the title, the group reiterated the believe of Ndigbo in the title, stating that it was wrong to believe that there is proliferation in the title in the state, saying the title of Eze Udo (the

peace makers) at local government level should not be misunderstood as proliferation of Eze Ndigbo title.[/b]

http://www.vanguardngr.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=36372&Itemid=46
Re: Ohanaeze Berates Lagos Over Ban On Eze Ndigbo by biina: 2:22am On May 22, 2009
You can't become a king in another man's kingdom without his permission.
The traditional title falls under the jurisdiction of the state government, subject to the exception of the federal.
The state government consulting them would be an act of courtesy on the part of the government, as I doubt the government was consulted before the creation of the titles.
If they feel they have a genuine case, they should take their issues to the court of law.

1 Like

Re: Ohanaeze Berates Lagos Over Ban On Eze Ndigbo by Abeem(m): 4:22am On May 22, 2009
*jona:

Noting that there are evident abuses of the title, the group reiterated the believe of Ndigbo in the title, stating that it was wrong to believe that there is proliferation in the title in the state, saying the title of Eze Udo (the

peace makers) at local government level should not be misunderstood as proliferation of Eze Ndigbo title.[/b]

Nigerians will never cease to amaze intelligent people all over the world. We quibble over infantile uninteresting things. At a time of pressing national issues begging for solutions - these clowns are heads over heels fighting for a cheap chieftaincy title which is of little or no consequence to anybody. These EWUs are not interested in how to tackle corruption, or seek solutions for our perennial electoral fraud and rigging of politicians.
Issues like these are not the pastime of serious-minded people. Nigerians are the country’s own enemies.

1 Like

Re: Ohanaeze Berates Lagos Over Ban On Eze Ndigbo by Strength10: 7:49am On May 22, 2009
i am not a fan of the EzeNdigbo title because there's really no such thing in IGBOland. But i support the stance of Ohaneze Ndigbo on thi[/b]s. You can answer anything you want in Nigeria as long as you are a Citizen of Nigeria and you do not infringe on the right of anybody. There's nothing like trying to be a king in somebodies land as one of you suggested. That is the dumbest argument i have ever heard on this issue. Having a title does not mean you are ruling anybody or have any Political influence on the Lagos government or the affairs of any government.[b] As Ohaneze stated, it is used as a rallying and unification title for igbos outside IGBOLAND. That you are called EzeNdigbo anywhere does not make you any king in IGBOAND or else- where. IT IS JUST A TITLE. Just like one can call himself the President/chairman of an association.
T[b]his case is concerning because it sets a bad precedent. When does such actions and bans stop and who or what will be affected next?. Which tribe or which other association/groups will be affected next?[/b]. Everybody has the freedom of association in Nigeria. This decision by Fashola was very dumb. The State of Lagos should have better things to think about than banning titles unless they have an axe to grind or a bad skeleton in their cupboard. They should be worried about homeless citizens in lagos than getting concerned in actions that create division and hatred. Maybe it is their intention to create this division as we now have different factions of IGBOS supporting and opposing this decision. Its a shame.
Like i said, i am not a fan of the EzeNdigbo title but i still do not think the Lagos Government should get involved in personal and tribal matters like this unless it is infringing on the rights or affecting the interest of others in Lagos.

1 Like

Re: Ohanaeze Berates Lagos Over Ban On Eze Ndigbo by biina: 8:18am On May 22, 2009
Wrong - you cannot decide to bear any title on your whim. A title the government does not recognize is illegal.

2 Likes

Re: Ohanaeze Berates Lagos Over Ban On Eze Ndigbo by udezue(m): 8:47am On May 22, 2009
The state does not need to recognize any title especially when the title holder does not have any seat in the state government and does not collect taxes or payroll under the state. Not a fan of it but I support Ohanaeze. This issue is not Lagos state issue but an Igbo issue that should be left for Igbos too deal with.

I was in support of the ban but after a while I see that its wrong for the state to meddle in our affairs.
Re: Ohanaeze Berates Lagos Over Ban On Eze Ndigbo by SapeleGuy: 11:42pm On May 22, 2009
Udezue & Strength10 - You guys must stand up for the truth even if it is painful. In order to be a king you need a kingdom, that is a basic prerequisite.
Lagos can't be igbo kingdom. Why don't you call your people to order?
'Igbo enwe eze' or is that wrong. If you allow this to continue will they not want to join the lagos council of traditional rulers?
Re: Ohanaeze Berates Lagos Over Ban On Eze Ndigbo by Strength10: 2:32am On May 23, 2009
Joining the Lagos council of traditional rulers is a differnt case. The point is that Lagos has no business with the affairs of NDIGBO. This is an Internal affair and they should have been wise enough to avoid it or they should have consulted Ohaneze and other popular IGBO groups before jumping into that decision. It is akin to an outsider telling you bad things about your blood brother, telling you how he betrayed you and how he thinks it is in your best interest to dissociate yourself from him. Initially, you will feel bad and perhaps hate your brother but over time you'll forgive him and will always remember that he is your brother. A brothers Anger never gets to the heart. In the end, they both will unite and they will hate you forever for dividing them in the first even if your reasons were justified at the time.
What i am saying in essence is that when other IGBOS get to understand the possible implication of Fasholas action, he will turn out to be the enemy.
And who told you lagos cannot be an IGBO kingdom. The last time checked, representation of people in a Government is by population. There are over 5million Igbos living in Lagos. IGBOS should get more representation in Lagos administration than they are currently getting. The Lagos governemnt is not doing IGBOS a favor. It is their right based on population and proportional representation.
Botton Line, Lagos government should have stayed out of this issue.
Re: Ohanaeze Berates Lagos Over Ban On Eze Ndigbo by biina: 3:02am On May 23, 2009
Bearing a title in Lagos IS the business of the Lagos state government and goes beyond Ndigbo. Unless you feel the Igbos in Lagos are not subject to the state government.  The state government has not banned them from assuming their titles outside the jurisdiction of the state.

Like I said earlier, the Lagos state government (or any government) consulting ohaneze (or any other group) would be an act of courtesy and not by right or a requirement.

As to Igbos deserving more representation in Lagos, we are no longer under a military regime. Once you meet the requirements for office, feel free to contest in the election.

If the Igbos feel so aggrieved by the actions of the Lagos state government, they are free to shun the state in favor of more conducive areas.

1 Like

Re: Ohanaeze Berates Lagos Over Ban On Eze Ndigbo by chidichris(m): 10:04am On May 23, 2009
i am not a fan of the EzeNdigbo title because there's really no such thing in IGBOland. But i support the stance of Ohaneze Ndigbo on this. You can answer anything you want in Nigeria as long as you are a Citizen of Nigeria and you do not infringe on the right of anybody. There's nothing like trying to be a king in somebodies land as one of you suggested. That is the dumbest argument i have ever heard on this issue. Having a title does not mean you are ruling anybody or have any Political influence on the Lagos government or the affairs of any government. As Ohaneze stated, it is used as a rallying and unification title for igbos outside IGBOLAND. That you are called EzeNdigbo anywhere does not make you any king in IGBOAND or else- where. IT IS JUST A TITLE. Just like one can call himself the President/chairman of an association.
This case is concerning because it sets a bad precedent. When does such actions and bans stop and who or what will be affected next?. Which tribe or which other association/groups will be affected next?. Everybody has the freedom of association in Nigeria. This decision by Fashola was very dumb. The State of Lagos should have better things to think about than banning titles unless they have an axe to grind or a bad skeleton in their cupboard. They should be worried about homeless citizens in lagos than getting concerned in actions that create division and hatred. Maybe it is their intention to create this division as we now have different factions of IGBOS supporting and opposing this decision. Its a shame.
Like i said, i am not a fan of the EzeNdigbo title but i still do not think the Lagos Government should get involved in personal and tribal matters like this unless it is infringing on the rights or affecting the interest of others in Lagos.

strenght10,
there is a contradiction here. if i choose to answer eze ndinigeria today, no problem but if i need recognition from nigeria based on that, aso rock now have right to say no. on the other hand, the lagos state govt is not even worried about the numerious titles we the ibos are taken rather it is our own ppl who are not comfortable with self acclaimed repreentative hence the call by ibos for lagos state govt to stop recognition.
the eze and igwe ndigbo still have their titles but lagos state govt has no more recognition.
even our so called ohaneze ndigbo is no longer in unity as we have factions so whosoever is talking might be talking in a bought over point of view.
it is very important that an eze ndigbo in bauchi or lagos is well known person recognised back home with good characters to serve as a role model to others.
i personally do not know or recognise anyone in lagos as eze ndigbo and many other ibos in lagos have the same view hence the unpopular ezendigbo shld go get himself bussy with something else.

for the so called eze ndigbo, if lagos state does not want ur title, u can go to zamfara since u must be ezendigbo.
Re: Ohanaeze Berates Lagos Over Ban On Eze Ndigbo by ikeyman00(m): 11:56am On May 23, 2009
biina

jump!

u are joke!

watch ur rmouth, more conducive, and we are talkin about nigeria, not lagso, two face slowpoke like u

when the nigerian money was pumped to develop lagos then as a capital, wonder why it was conducive then?

anyway take a dive
Re: Ohanaeze Berates Lagos Over Ban On Eze Ndigbo by biina: 6:09pm On May 23, 2009
ikeyman00:

biina

jump!

u are joke!

watch ur rmouth, more conducive, and we are talkin about nigeria, not lagso, two face slowpoke like u

when the nigerian money was pumped to develop lagos then as a capital, wonder why it was conducive then?

anyway take a dive

Democracy is about choices. If you feel your rights have been denied, then please seek redress in the law courts, but please do not come on here to use tribal sentiments to cloud the facts.
I am indifferent to the issue of someone bearing a title. I am only stating that the Lagos state government acted within their authority and they are not required to consult any tribal organization before taking their decision.
If you don't like the actions of the current government, you can either sue them to court, or try to impeach the governor.

the actions of the Lagos state government only pertains to Lagos, so I dont see why you make it seem like a national issue.

BTW u don put bullet for my body again grin
Re: Ohanaeze Berates Lagos Over Ban On Eze Ndigbo by congoshine(m): 7:44pm On May 23, 2009
chidichris:

if i choose to answer eze ndinigeria today, no problem but if i need recognition from nigeria based on that, aso rock now have right to say no. on the other hand, the lagos state govt is not even worried about the numerious titles we the ibos are taken rather it is our own ppl who are not comfortable with self acclaimed repreentative hence the call by ibos for lagos state govt to stop recognition.
the eze and igwe ndigbo still have their titles but lagos state govt has no more recognition.
i personally do not know or recognise anyone in lagos as eze ndigbo and many other ibos in lagos have the same view hence the unpopular ezendigbo shld go get himself bussy with something else.
I think you have hit the nail on the head. . . . You can decide to call yourself whatever you want,but the govt has the right to with hold recognition. . . for example I hereby declare myself the Right Honourable Speaker of Nairaland  shocked shocked shocked shocked. . . .Seun can decide to recognise this or not  tongue. . . .it adds nothing to anybody. Well done for the insight chidichris. . . .  wink

1 Like

Re: Ohanaeze Berates Lagos Over Ban On Eze Ndigbo by Abeem(m): 6:22pm On May 24, 2009
You guys have wasted valuable time that could have been used for productive purposes arguing on the pros and cons of an unimportant matter that add no value to our national development. It is nothing but a social malaise. Get over it guys.
Re: Ohanaeze Berates Lagos Over Ban On Eze Ndigbo by cfours: 12:11am On Feb 11, 2013
lol funny people

*jona:
Ohanaeze berates Lagos over ban on Eze Ndigbo   

Noting that there are evident abuses of the title, the group reiterated the believe of Ndigbo in the title, stating that it was wrong to believe that there is proliferation in the title in the state, saying the title of Eze Udo (the peace makers) at local government level should not be misunderstood as proliferation of Eze Ndigbo title.[/b]

http://www.vanguardngr.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=36372&Itemid=46

competition was too tough in the east (as usual), so they carried the titles to lagos grin
any igbo man can now become king in lagos. hehehe one for every local government area.
Re: Ohanaeze Berates Lagos Over Ban On Eze Ndigbo by EzePromoe: 8:25am On Feb 11, 2013
lipsrsealed
Re: Ohanaeze Berates Lagos Over Ban On Eze Ndigbo by DuduNegro: 10:29am On Feb 11, 2013
the only non-igbo state that has welcomed igbos and treated them with utmost fairness is lagos. igbos in lagos get away with far more allowances than anywhere in nigeria. yet, the most ungrateful non-yoruba group in lagos is igbo. igbos in lagos will not challenge the federal government when their civi liberties are trampled on but they will criticize and lambast lagos governor on his economic decisions in the state....like toll gate, relocation of displaced markets, his wisdom on debt management.

the face of these criticisms are your ordinary spare part trader......but the brains behind it are those who call themselves igbo scholars and elders. they have taken abode in lagos because the terror of kidnapping and robbery has chased them away from home. lagos government is aware of their machinations and is not unmindful of their schemes.

1 Like

Re: Ohanaeze Berates Lagos Over Ban On Eze Ndigbo by OneNaira6: 10:31am On Feb 11, 2013
Did someone go and open up a 2009 thread just to get attention.

grin grin grin grin grin grin

Some people na wa ooo
Re: Ohanaeze Berates Lagos Over Ban On Eze Ndigbo by GARRIx7(m): 10:44am On Feb 11, 2013
One_Naira: Did someone go and open up a 2009 thread just to get attention.

grin grin grin grin grin grin

Some people na wa ooo

cheesy
Re: Ohanaeze Berates Lagos Over Ban On Eze Ndigbo by cfours: 4:48am On Feb 12, 2013
Eze Ndigbo Title Holders Face Arrest In Lagos
Anyone who parades himself as Eze Ndigbo in Lagos is now to be arrested as the ban placed on the use of the title is still in force.
The Lagos State government, which ordered the arrest of any Igbo chief who parades himself with the title, made this known at a recent meeting with representatives of Igbo speaking community in the state.
The State Commissioner for Local Government and Chieftaincy Affairs, Prince Rotimi Agunsoye, who addressed the meeting emphasised that anyone driving a vehicle with the inscription, His Royal Majesty, Eze Ndigbo, or poses as one, a title already proscribed by the state government, would be arrested for flouting the laws of the state.
“If you go to Rome, you live like the Romans. If you go to the United Kingdom where they have their laws, do you now take your own laws there and operate it? No”, he argued.
An Igbo high chief, Innocent Ohri, who spoke at the meeting, said the issue of Eze Ndigbo was beyond debate as they have dissolved all factions until an election was held. He continued that they were attending the meeting to get more clarification from government.
Said Mrs. Ifeoma Oguine, Women leader of Igbo Community, Lagos State: “We don’t support Eze Ndigbo, we won’t take the state government to court. Those fighting to retain the title are doing so for their own selfish interest. Their actions are now depriving us of what we should get from the state government”.

http://www.thetidenewsonline.com/2009/06/26/eze-ndigbo-title-holders-face-arrest-in-lagos/

-----------

wow. how did I miss this?this is an overkill I must say. did they actually make arrests? shocked

(1) (Reply)

"omo Alata" In Lagos State House Of Assembly / Corps Members In Lagos Get 400% Pay Rise / ‘senator Al- Bishir Wanted To Kill Me Over Al Mustapha’s Wealth’ !

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.