Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,248 members, 7,818,840 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:23 AM

The Sacred Iguanas Of Orogun Community In Delta State (photos) - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Sacred Iguanas Of Orogun Community In Delta State (photos) (56946 Views)

Peremobowei Shedrack Erebulu Visits Oboro Gbaraun In Delta State. Photos / The Cost Of Uprooting The Ekiti Sacred Tree In Odo, Oja (Snapshot) / Kiyi, A Community In FCT That Still Kills Twins And Triplets? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Sacred Iguanas Of Orogun Community In Delta State (photos) by Appleyard(m): 6:32pm On Nov 21, 2015
Chanchit:
No P, sebi we weh no come from urhobo fit eat Iguana?
Be it known to you that it is only the Orogun people that doesn's eat the iguana. All other Urhobos like me from Ughelli does not joke with that meat. We eat it big time.
One of the interesting thing about the animal is that, when it sees an indigene of Orogun land, it will not run, but once it sees a non-indigene like me, it starts running like hell. How the creature is able to identify both indegenes and non indegenes, is a mystery.
Re: The Sacred Iguanas Of Orogun Community In Delta State (photos) by menix(m): 6:50pm On Nov 21, 2015
suwalee:
I'm not frm orogun tho d stories I heard n I kno of a gal sumtin happened to cos she dint Bury d iguana properly

Chisos!!

Want happened to her
Did she kill one on purpose
Re: The Sacred Iguanas Of Orogun Community In Delta State (photos) by femochee(m): 7:16pm On Nov 21, 2015
Hmmm...end time Komondo dragon
Re: The Sacred Iguanas Of Orogun Community In Delta State (photos) by Chanchit: 7:24pm On Nov 21, 2015
Appleyard:
Be it known to you that it is only the Orogun people that doesn's eat the iguana. All other Urhobos like me from Ughelli does not joke with that meat. We eat it big time.
One of the interesting thing about the animal is that, when it sees an indigene of Orogun land, it will not run, but once it sees a non-indigene like me, it starts running like hell. How the creature is able to identify both indegenes and non indegenes, is a mystery.

Lmao! Actually I forgot the main tribe the article was talking about, that's why I just generalize the thing.
Re: The Sacred Iguanas Of Orogun Community In Delta State (photos) by jomoh: 9:20pm On Nov 21, 2015
Oyind17:
Lol, see your mouth
grin grin
Re: The Sacred Iguanas Of Orogun Community In Delta State (photos) by suwalee(f): 2:47pm On Nov 22, 2015
menix:

Chisos!!

Want happened to her
Did she kill one on purpose
she dint rly kill one ppl der killed one mistakenly n dey told her to Bury d iguana she started forming Christian n all
Re: The Sacred Iguanas Of Orogun Community In Delta State (photos) by Mamode14(m): 9:49pm On Nov 22, 2015
Osirimononaye:
Umusu Abi Unukpo?, Am From Umusu Okpara street
onukpo o Bros.... ogbuku street but am related to the wanagos's
Re: The Sacred Iguanas Of Orogun Community In Delta State (photos) by Osirimononaye(m): 10:14pm On Nov 22, 2015
Mamode14:
Am Some How Related To Ogbuku Through My Granny.....Am Umusu Okpara st. Osirim

1 Like

Re: The Sacred Iguanas Of Orogun Community In Delta State (photos) by Mamode14(m): 9:33am On Nov 23, 2015
Osirimononaye:

Am Some How Related To Ogbuku Through My Granny.....Am Umusu Okpara st. Osirim
I know that street bro it's close to the primary school right...
Re: The Sacred Iguanas Of Orogun Community In Delta State (photos) by gemale(m): 6:03pm On Nov 23, 2015
Rapmoney:
Same way many young Nigerians can't even speak their language or know the slightest thing about their culture! The Western culture is being promoted while relegating the African culture to the background!

D dumbass culture dt deifies an animal? D culture dt infringes on people's right of free movement because one old monarch kicked d bucket? Cultures wt customs built mostly on hocus-pocus & crappy superstition dt an enlightened 10 yrs old can poke holes in. Culture dt has not added any significant achievement 2 science and technology. Stagnant culture wey no fit change even when their practice bcoms obsolete because "dts d way our father's did it" forgetting dt dey lived in different times . Y wouldn't it be in d background?
Re: The Sacred Iguanas Of Orogun Community In Delta State (photos) by Osirimononaye(m): 7:07pm On Nov 23, 2015
Mamode14:
I know that street bro it's close to the primary school right...
Exactly!

1 Like

Re: The Sacred Iguanas Of Orogun Community In Delta State (photos) by Mhizrohzz(f): 11:45am On Jul 05, 2018
O.p thanks for dis post
u just saved a student's life, Dis is very helpful to my project, thanks a million
Re: The Sacred Iguanas Of Orogun Community In Delta State (photos) by fejeerow(f): 9:09pm On Aug 31, 2018
Am glad I came across this post.
Re: The Sacred Iguanas Of Orogun Community In Delta State (photos) by SamAdeyemi(m): 5:33pm On Nov 15, 2018
Killed these ones inside my a compound today self☺

Re: The Sacred Iguanas Of Orogun Community In Delta State (photos) by darfay: 1:24am On Nov 18, 2018
Appleyard:

Stupid poverty infested Nigerian. No regards what so ever for wild life
Re: The Sacred Iguanas Of Orogun Community In Delta State (photos) by darfay: 1:26am On Nov 18, 2018
SamAdeyemi:
Killed these ones inside my a compound today self☺

Move out the jungle where you dwell
Re: The Sacred Iguanas Of Orogun Community In Delta State (photos) by darfay: 1:33am On Nov 18, 2018
Mamode14:

Can you explain the concept of bilingualism in orogun and which is more widely spoken especially amongst younger generation
Re: The Sacred Iguanas Of Orogun Community In Delta State (photos) by airsaylongcon: 8:15am On Nov 22, 2018
darfay:

Can you explain the concept of bilingualism in orogun and which is more widely spoken especially amongst younger generation

Orogun is a border community with the Ukwanis and intermarry heavily with them. I think that is what drives the bilingual nature of the place. The few times I happened to stay there, the younger folks greeted me in Urhobo even though they didn't know if I spoke Urhobo or Ukwani so I'd hazard a guess that they default to Urhobo. However this is not to say that amongst themselves they default to any of the two. I have been in situations where I'm listening in on a conversation and midway the language switches several times between both languages
Re: The Sacred Iguanas Of Orogun Community In Delta State (photos) by Appleyard(m): 11:48pm On Dec 04, 2018
darfay:

Stupid poverty infested Nigerian. No regards what so ever for wild life

Typical Godless soul who love to worship the creature more than the creator.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Sacred Iguanas Of Orogun Community In Delta State (photos) by darfay: 12:01am On Dec 05, 2018
Appleyard:

Typical Godless soul who love to worship the creature more than the creator.

Just to be sure. That wasn't referring to me right?
Re: The Sacred Iguanas Of Orogun Community In Delta State (photos) by AnchorageHC: 1:09pm On Oct 08, 2020
Afternoon fellow Urhobos, Nigerians and Africans...

I'm Anthony Evwro Okeremute I hall from Orogun(Unukpo Community); in Ughelli North L.G.A of Delta State.

The second child in the family of six. Though, we're four left. We all grew up as foreigners here in Surulere, Lagos State. Not knowing ANY of our ancestors or origin, except our cultural-native names.

Its painful and still painful NOT knowing your real identity. Our late father never wanted us near his people we learnt to know; due to communal killings over a graceful hectares of land belong to his extended families-maybe.

Till now, we all can't speak the language but only knows you're using our native tongue if you speak it around our hearing.

I remembered traveling to Orogun years ago, just after my secondary schooling - alone! Just at entering my then uncle's home that welcomed me by the helps of the pictures on me. Guess what NEXT?
The IGUANA came to my notice, under the seat I was, over the roof and another by the entrance.

And immediately my cousin smiled at me, telling me I'm welcomed with good gestures and blessings. I never understood it all. But was told to immediately shared tears, especially any time they appears to me. Here, then at the village or in the city.

I wished I knew more or wants to know more. But...I don't know who can be of great helps?

Regards

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Photos From The Obi Of Onitsha's Palace / Who Are The Yoruba In Benin Republic? / Town Where Death Awaits Albinos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.