Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,211 members, 7,829,345 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 03:36 AM

Project Managers' Forum - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Project Managers' Forum (20368 Views)

Discussion Board For Construction Project Managers / For Engineers, Project Managers, Accountants, Designers and Programmers / Primavera(P6) Training For Project Managers And Planners (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Project Managers' Forum by Avenir(m): 9:24pm On Jun 18, 2009
@Kashif
Nice analysis

To your observation about funding, there where several models including equal split and a split based perceived business benefits. The later was more attractive to stakeholders but they became bogged down on the determination of a fair amount despite the existence of a proposal for a split based on proportion of current expenditure.

Having each organisation contribute internal project team was attractive but had to be sacrificed on the altar of simplicity, trying to avoid the project team becoming bloated and unwieldy. Each organisation contributed 2 project team members and the director of finance of each of organisation was co-opted into the project board. Of course level of interest and commitment is still unequal and you have to put mitigating controls to the risk of some organisation pulling out.

Stakeholder management was very high on the agenda and considerable resources were devoted to stakeholder mapping and communication plan development based on individual needs. Benefits realisation plan was also very important. You have to spend time developing the benefits metrics that will be relevant and acceptable to all stakeholders while being measurable.
Re: Project Managers' Forum by yomiwal(m): 5:13am On Jun 19, 2009
hi,
can anybody inform me on which organisation will be best for me, i study mass-comm and i have CAPM and NIM certfications & i seriously need a job.

my cv is attached

Re: Project Managers' Forum by Qrous(m): 5:11pm On Jun 19, 2009
i read estate management and have been trying to learn PM but , finding a place is to do so is what i cant locate.
you expert should be kind enough to train newbie like us.
i will appreciate any effort
Re: Project Managers' Forum by Kashif(m): 8:18am On Jun 22, 2009
Sure, there should be a team representing those organisations in the project management team, no matter how small. In determining the project objectives, the PM team will need to make sure that the impact of this project on existing organisational structures are identified. This will help make this quantitative; protecting it from any possible misrepresentation.

If any participating organisation knows that its ROI is almost a guarantee, and proportional to financial commitment then, the risk of organisational pullout will be reduced. A mitigation could be making the deliverables so attractive that other organisations would be willing to step in and take up the funding obligation of any withdrawing participant, knowing that the success index is high.

Good to hear that the stakeholder and communications management are not being treated with kid gloves.

@Qrous,

You can send me a mail; my address is in my profile.
Re: Project Managers' Forum by PMP: 1:08pm On Jun 24, 2009
For Certified PMP'S earn your free PDU's at
www.iil.com.I will update more later
Re: Project Managers' Forum by tictactoe: 4:04pm On Jun 27, 2009
Hello all,

I intend to write the PRINCE2 foundation exam soon. Does anyone here have study materials and information on how to register for the exam,
(i understand should be done through the British Council in Nigeria).
Please send details to tayogis@yahoo.co.uk

Your timely responce will be highly appreciated.

Thanks
Re: Project Managers' Forum by Orisdude: 4:46pm On Jun 29, 2009
Greetings my good people,
My organization wants to organize a Project Management training session, as well as, some rigorous foundational training in the use of Microsoft Project.
Since the defining and organizing has been left to me, I have decided that our people should get acquainted with the Prince2 methodology and get trained in the use of Microsoft projects.
At the end of the training program-which should be a maximum of 6 days, we should write the 2 exams required to certify at the foundation level.
The training on the Microsoft projects software (which is mostly scheduling should come after)

2 things;
1. Does Prince2 material lend itself to this type of arrangement? Would my team gain anything in that short period of time that would be worthwhile?
Of course it would be an intensive training period.

2. Can anyone suggest solid, excellent trainers who know their onions (I don't need paper gangsters-my people can smell those types 500km away)
I need an organization with solid excellent professionals and trainers.

Thanks smiley
Re: Project Managers' Forum by netotse(m): 4:54pm On Jun 29, 2009
Orisdude:

My organization wants to organize a Project Management training session, as well as, some rigorous foundational training in the use of Microsoft Project.
Since the defining and organizing has been left to me, I have decided that our people should get acquainted with the Prince2 methodology and get trained in the use of Microsoft projects.
At the end of the training program-which should be a maximum of 6 days, we should write the 2 exams required to certify at the foundation level.
The training on the Microsoft projects software (which is mostly scheduling should come after)

2 things;
1. Does Prince2 material lend itself to this type of arrangement? Would my team gain anything in that short period of time that would be worthwhile?

2. Can anyone suggest solid, excellent trainers who know their onions (I don't need paper gangsters-my people can smell those types 500km away)

Thanks smiley

check wwwzionpnp.com i think they've done some stuff similar. . .a friend attended their training
Re: Project Managers' Forum by ojay1429: 1:17am On Jul 03, 2009
If you need the PMBok version 4 (The latest edition) and the PMP question banks with answers you can email me on prjsupportpmp@gmail.com or call me 08030601227
Re: Project Managers' Forum by SUCCESS78: 11:51am On Jul 10, 2009
DO YOU HAVE THREE YEARS PROJECT EXPERIENCE? THEN ITS YOUR TURN TO BE CERTIFIED!
JOIN OUR TRAINING ON PASSING PMP EXAMS.

ONE ON ONE TRAINING (depending on choice)
AVAILABLE MATERIALS (PMBOK 4th edition, Pass on your first try, Q&A simulation, and others)
ACHIEVE 35 CONTACT HOURS OF PROJECT TRAINING

FOR THOSE WITH LESS THAN 3 YEARS EXP. IN PROJECT, CAPM IS THE WAY FORWARD.

FOR FURTHER ENQUIRY,
CALL, SMS OR MAIL :08065505589; 08052401998; passpmpexams@yahoo.com
Re: Project Managers' Forum by wetinde(m): 9:49am On Jul 11, 2009
Orisdude:

2 things;

Thanks smiley

PRINCE2 (2009 version) focuses solely on teaching the Themes(iterative components of project management) and Processes(structured set of project activities ) for management of projects but like most methodlogies cannot be biased to use of any project management tool and so for this reason cannot recommend any specific project management tool for planning projects. PRINCE2 Training sessions are in gereral delivered exclusive of project management tool training as that can take at least 2 days for students to get enough practice.
Re: Project Managers' Forum by ODESEREP: 12:06pm On Jul 21, 2009
Gents,
Apologies for being absent for a while. Just had a new baby and launched a new product. Have also been having issues with my replies disappearing suddenly so gave up on Nairaland. Thought I should try again.

orisedude

email me at eddie_olobia@yahoo.co.uk for further information on PRINCE2 unless of course this message disappears again.

Regards
Re: Project Managers' Forum by fislon: 5:06pm On Jul 21, 2009
It's High time people get serious with what they post Imagine someone with the telephone number 08064512547 claimed He has the PMBok 4th edition and the question bank whereas he has nothing.

After I spoken with the guy for about 3min He had to send me His Yahoo ID for chat, it's really a bunch of time wastage, telling me He doesn't know where the document is because He moved His documents. later refered me to esnips.com hoping some guyz might have it uploaded. what a talk?

people should not turn this forum to a forum for fun.
Re: Project Managers' Forum by keyremotes(m): 8:49pm On Jul 25, 2009
Check out LOIS Consulting at www.loisconsulting.com
Re: Project Managers' Forum by ODESEREP: 10:56pm On Jul 28, 2009
[size=16pt]PEOPLE PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS FORUM WAS STARTED TO INITIATE DISCUSSIONS AND RESOLVE ISSUES EXPERIENCED BY NIGERIAN PROJECT MANAGERS AROUND THE WORLD.PLEASE DO NOT POST ON THIS FORUM IF YOU ARE HERE TO JUST WASTE PEOPLES TIME BECAUSE IT IS NOT ENCOURAGING AND IS DETERRING EXPERIENCED PROJECT MANAGERS FROM CONTRIBUTING TO THE FORUM.[/size]
Re: Project Managers' Forum by mowaa: 12:09am On Jul 29, 2009
So which one (pmp or princeII) is mostlly used in Nigeria or which one is in high demand in Nigeria.
And where are the accredited or official project management academies in Nigeria?

Thanks
Re: Project Managers' Forum by ODESEREP: 7:35pm On Aug 03, 2009
There are more PMP qualified Nigerians than there are PRINCE2 Practitioners. The question of which one is more widely used is not an easy question because most of the organisations in Nigeria are not collectively mature with use of Project management methodology . It is individuals with various experiences particularly from abroad that selectively run the project management processes within their selective departments. Most organisations adapt aspects of methodologies to make their own framework.
    Accredited organisations for PMP will include Tourqay Global Systems and ODESE Consulting(PRINCE2). These are the 2 I am sure of.
Re: Project Managers' Forum by Mikedan25: 10:51am On Aug 06, 2009
Guys, can anyone provide a list of good, reputable PM firms in Nigeria, preferably in Lagos?
Also any benchmarks or indication of their fees, as a percentage of CAPEX value.

thanks,

Mike
Re: Project Managers' Forum by hancock(m): 4:19pm On Aug 10, 2009
Tourqay Global Systems charges N100k for thier PMP training. thats an overkill if u ask me undecided
Re: Project Managers' Forum by Kashif(m): 11:08am On Aug 12, 2009
ODESE_REP:

Accredited organisations for PMP will include Tourqay Global Systems and ODESE Consulting(PRINCE2). These are the 2 I am sure of.

Sorry, who accredited these organisations please?
Re: Project Managers' Forum by wetinde(m): 2:00pm On Aug 12, 2009
Kashif

The bodies of course.

I have been looking for more issues to help me with my study for project management but there seems to be nothing what is happening. I get the impression that there are not enough experienced project managers in Nigeria.

Abi I lie
Re: Project Managers' Forum by Basildon1(m): 4:35pm On Aug 25, 2009
Hello ODESE,

How advisable is it to go down the project management route in the UK without a solid foundation in the popular disciplines such as construction and software development?
Re: Project Managers' Forum by Avenir(m): 9:20pm On Sep 01, 2009
Basildon1:

Hello ODESE,

How advisable is it to go down the project management route in the UK without a solid foundation in the popular disciplines such as construction and software development?

It might be easier to provide relevant advice if you can give a little more information about your professional background I mean what you're doing presently. For example, it might be easier for someone who is already working as an IT professional (in any capacity) to get into IT project management than someone who is not. Same thing goes for construction or any field for that matter. Please note that the above analogy is for someone getting into project management for the first time in UK (I don't know if same thing applies in Nigeria). That is not to say that there is no future in getting certified first and getting into project management later in a field where you have no background. The advice will be more specific if you're able to provide additional information.
Re: Project Managers' Forum by Basildon1(m): 1:49pm On Sep 02, 2009
Avenir:

It might be easier to provide relevant advice if you can give a little more information about your professional background I mean what you're doing presently. For example, it might be easier for someone who is already working as an IT professional (in any capacity) to get into IT project management than someone who is not. Same thing goes for construction or any field for that matter. Please note that the above analogy is for someone getting into project management for the first time in UK (I don't know if same thing applies in Nigeria). That is not to say that there is no future in getting certified first and getting into project management later in a field where you have no background. The advice will be more specific if you're able to provide additional information.
Avenir, Thanx, I am from a pure science background but i took a masters in Business IT (after a brief stint in software testing)and carried out a project on extensions of PRINCE2 to fit a programme-so i'm theoretically sound PRINCE2-wise. I work in a project coordinator capacity for a non IT company now. so what do you think?
Re: Project Managers' Forum by Avenir(m): 10:58pm On Sep 02, 2009
Basildon1:

Avenir, Thanx, I am from a pure science background but i took a masters in Business IT (after a brief stint in software testing)and carried out a project on extensions of PRINCE2 to fit a programme-so i'm theoretically sound PRINCE2-wise. I work in a project coordinator capacity for a non IT company now. so what do you think?

By project coordinator, am I right to assume that you work in programme management? Back to your original question, I think you already have the background and have the right sounding job title. Do you have PRINCE2 certification? PRINCE2 will confer a lot of advantage. Since you mentioned that you know your stuff, I don't see anything stopping you. Your background as a Software tester will also play prominent role. There are two possible roles for you; large organisations with dedicated programme management and smaller ones that needs an occasional project manager. For the latter, you'll probably work mainly as a software tester and occasionally as a project manager. I work in the later category. You can check jobsites like www.jobserve.com, etc for prospects, job specification and person specification.

I wish you best of luck with your career in project management.
Re: Project Managers' Forum by bnettel: 4:37pm On Sep 06, 2009
k

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Julius Berger Sacks 120 Staff Today? / Water Seller Shares His Money With Prison Inmates (Video) / How I Become A Vehicle Diagnostic Technician Through Nairaland

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.