Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,816 members, 7,817,376 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:14 AM

INEC Knew Of Audu’s Death Before Announcing Results - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / INEC Knew Of Audu’s Death Before Announcing Results (37371 Views)

Photo Of Audu Abubakar As A Young Man / Photos From The Burial Ceremony Of Audu Abubakar / Confusion In Kogi Over ‘Resurrection’ Of Audu Abubakar - Naij.com (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: INEC Knew Of Audu’s Death Before Announcing Results by YourNemesis: 8:24am On Nov 23, 2015
kaelz:
Where the remaining 25%??

I said
Kogi East (Roughly Igala) = 50%
Kogi Central (Roughly Ebira) = 25%
Kogi West (Roughly Okun) = 25%
Re: INEC Knew Of Audu’s Death Before Announcing Results by Justicealh3(m): 8:27am On Nov 23, 2015
Acidosis:
No big deal

"Party before Candidate"

INEC counted votes for APC, PDP, KOWA, etc, not Audu, Wada...

Audu is dead, but APC is alive. Supplementary elections continue in Dekina LGA for all parties.
Guy" U're rgt.
Re: INEC Knew Of Audu’s Death Before Announcing Results by VickyRotex(f): 8:29am On Nov 23, 2015
Sahara Reporters are high o.

Dint they think before cooking up such lie?

1st: Audu is a Muslim, and you saying he died 5am yesterday, and no one knew about it? Neither was he buried yesterday? Tell me something.

2ndly: If anyone had watched when the Inec official declared the election inconclusive, you wouldn't believe this cooked up lie. Inec officials were ready to pronounce Late Audu as the winner of the election, not until a PDP representative called the attention of the INEC official to the constitution, that says something like this:

"If number of cancelled votes is more than the marginal difference between both parties, then it renders the election inconclusive"

Please cook up another story, this one is dead on arrival.

I know the whole of the week will be filled up with various speculations.

3 Likes

Re: INEC Knew Of Audu’s Death Before Announcing Results by tuna4servi(m): 8:33am On Nov 23, 2015
So what next?
Re: INEC Knew Of Audu’s Death Before Announcing Results by Nobody: 8:35am On Nov 23, 2015
jamace:
I learnt the Igalas are furious that the Yorubas killed their son in order to snatch power. The Igalas are claiming that Audu was poisoned by the Yorubas in connivance with the EMPEROR OF APC. Wahala dey o. grin grin
Gosh u guys never stop wt this ur Yoruba hatred. None of these two tribes ever said such. And in case u don't know I galas and okuns are even d ones DT are most agreeable in kogi politics because okuns have accepted their fate. Lol! They know they can't win elections & have bn cryin for statehood since time immemorial.

Igalas and ebiras hate themselves politically. Igala candidates usually choose okuns as their running mate just so they can get all I gala vote & d 15% or so okun vote.
Re: INEC Knew Of Audu’s Death Before Announcing Results by Charles545: 8:37am On Nov 23, 2015
peppyluv02:
But APC supporters said he is a saint and didn't steal a dime , anyway Kogi had two bad options to choose from. None of the aspirant is lesser evil. RIP Audu.

yes and I my own opinion, faleke is best for the kogi state administration ...if APC will field another candidate. Faleke has the exposure and will perform better since he has the Lagos experience. its time for kogi state to develop and give their mandate to the man with the ability, tribal sentiment should be a thing of the past- after all the kogi west has not delivered to the yearnings of state.

1 Like

Re: INEC Knew Of Audu’s Death Before Announcing Results by Solojar27(m): 8:45am On Nov 23, 2015
The death of Audu paves way for Faleke to be declared winner, however let's see wat d apex court will say about this, since it was not captured in the constitution and/or the Electoral Act 2010.
Re: INEC Knew Of Audu’s Death Before Announcing Results by aristosoft(m): 8:46am On Nov 23, 2015
Whether INEC knows or not is inconsequential. Was it formally reported to INEC? If INEC had known, should they have stopped the collation? No and No.
If he'd died at 5am as purportedly reported, he would have been buried before 4pm according to Muslim rites.
OP, stop gambling with our psyche joor.

So, he left with Kogi's 11bn naira. Can we send emissaries to the land of the dead to collect the money from him?

1 Like

Re: INEC Knew Of Audu’s Death Before Announcing Results by Nobody: 8:46am On Nov 23, 2015
ACCORDING TO FESTUS KEYAMO

Sunday, November 22, 2015.

PRESS STATEMENT ON THE REPORTED DEATH OF PRINCE ABUBAKAR AUDU AND THE LEGAL IMPLICATIONS.

The reported death today, Sunday, November 22nd, 2015, of the APC candidate in the Kogi State Governorship elections, Prince Abubakar Audu, is extremely shocking and sad. I would like to express my condolences to the entire family of Audu and to the people of Kogi State.

However, the real question agitating the minds of everybody is the legal implication regarding the inconclusive Governorship elections at the time of his demise. To state it correctly he was said to have died AFTER the announcement of the results by INEC and after INEC had declared the elections inconclusive. Admittedly, this is a strange and novel constitutional scenario. It has never happened in our constitutional history to the extent that when an election has been partially conducted (and not before or after the elections) a candidate dies. What then happens?

This is a hybrid situation between what happened in the case of Atiku Abubakar/Boni Haruna in 1999 and the provision of section 33 of the Electoral Act, 2010.

In the case of Atiku Abubakar/Boni Haruna [which is now a clear constitutional provision of section 181(1) of the 1999 Constitution (as amended)] the Supreme Court held, in effect, that “if a person duly elected as Governor dies before taking and subscribing the Oath of Allegiance and oath of office, or is unable for any reason whatsoever to be sworn in, the person elected with him as Deputy governor shall be sworn in as Governor and he shall nominate a new Deputy-Governor who shall be appointed by the Governor with the approval of a simple majority of the house of Assembly of the State”.

In the case of section 33 of the Electoral Act 2010 it provides, in effect, that if a person has been duly nominated as a candidate of his party and he dies before the election then the political party has the right to replace him with another candidate and not necessarily the Deputy Governorship candidate.

Now, does the Kogi situation fit into section 181(1) of the Constitution as quoted above or section 33 of the Electoral Act mentioned above?

My simple position is that the Kogi situation fits more into section 181(1) of the 1999 Constitution (as amended) and as such James Abiodun Faleke automatically becomes the governorship candidate of the APC. This is because even though the election in inconclusive, votes have been counted and allocated to Parties and candidates. As a result the joint ticket of Audu/Faleke has acquired some votes already. James Abiodun Faleke is as much entitled to those votes already counted as much as the late Abubakar Audu. He has a right to cling to those votes going into the supplementary election.

There is only one problem, though. Who nominates Faleke’s Deputy? Unlike section 181(1) of the 1999 Constitution, he cannot approach the House of Assembly of the State to approve a nomination by him of a Deputy. This is because, in reality, he is not duly elected yet. Therefore it is only reasonable to conclude that it is APC (Faleke’s political party) that should submit the name of a fresh Deputy Governorship candidate to INEC for the supplementary election.

This is the only position in this situation that accords with reason and good sense.

FESTUS KEYAMO, ESQ.
London, 9:40pm
Sunday, November 22, 2015.
Re: INEC Knew Of Audu’s Death Before Announcing Results by niggi4life(m): 8:47am On Nov 23, 2015
This man called Audu forgot he wasn't the one who created himself... He stole lots of billions while in the office, he even said he will drop 11 billion if elected, he went ahead to marry a girl who would have passed as he's grand daughter. Now the Almighty Judge has decided to pass his judgement on him by giving him a death penalty.
I am sorry to say i owe him no RIP. To all the thieving politicians, you will also die mysteriously like this thief.
Through your evil acts many nigerians have lost their soul.

1 Like

Re: INEC Knew Of Audu’s Death Before Announcing Results by Nobody: 8:48am On Nov 23, 2015
YourNemesis:

I said
Kogi East (Roughly Igala) = 50%
Kogi Central (Roughly Ebira) = 25%
Kogi West (Roughly Okun) = 25%

Ur estimation is wrong. Ebiras are way higher in percentage dn okuns. They're not d same population.
Re: INEC Knew Of Audu’s Death Before Announcing Results by Nobody: 8:57am On Nov 23, 2015
okpor2:
in d elections less than 40 percent of d voters turned up to vote.there is no way all this 49 thousand will come up nd vote wenever d supplementary elections holds nd definitely all of them won't vote for a particular candidate or party.APC lead will still be there.Inec only avoided declaring a winner to avoid losingat d tribunal which me -not a lawyer-can win at any court.Faleke will be sworn in as d next gov of kogi state
Let's not get ahead of ourselves. Faleke will probably be d candidate. But watch d remaining 49000 votes swing to idris wada. This death is a coup for PDP. They will benefit from it.

1 Like

Re: INEC Knew Of Audu’s Death Before Announcing Results by nickxtra(m): 9:05am On Nov 23, 2015
So, that his young pretty wife has suddenly become a widow?
Re: INEC Knew Of Audu’s Death Before Announcing Results by agabusta: 9:08am On Nov 23, 2015
Bobbystanley:

I disagree with you. Candidacy matters a lot when it comes to election. Party comes second.

And as core Nigerians we are, Tribe is always a big factor to consider while Voting..

APC should field another candidate for a fresh election in my Opinion since the constitution says nothing about this kind of scenario.
Re: INEC Knew Of Audu’s Death Before Announcing Results by Xtfield(m): 9:10am On Nov 23, 2015
I do not agree with your conclusion that INEC declared the results inconclusive to prevent his ruinning mate from taking over. Audu's death was not made public until much later so even if INEC knew, it is not within the terms of reference for INEC to announce his death or stop the collation of results because of a 'rumoured' death of a contestant. I think it will be best if we stop reading mischievous meanings to every action.
Re: INEC Knew Of Audu’s Death Before Announcing Results by Nobody: 9:17am On Nov 23, 2015
APC by now should show wisdom and maturity and employ a few Nairalanders who have at least a Bsc in Mathematics.
How can you rig elections and rig it below the number of accredited voters? Must we dwell in shame
Ordinary Arithmetic undecided
Re: INEC Knew Of Audu’s Death Before Announcing Results by Nobody: 9:18am On Nov 23, 2015
nickxtra:
So, that his young pretty wife has suddenly become a widow?

A 50 year gap in their age already told her that it would happen someday grin
Don't think she is as surprised as you are cry

2 Likes

Re: INEC Knew Of Audu’s Death Before Announcing Results by YourNemesis: 9:28am On Nov 23, 2015
janellemonae:

Ur estimation is wrong. Ebiras are way higher in percentage dn okuns. They're not d same population.

Okuns are not the only tribe in Kogi West.
And While Ebiras are more, it isn't by much.
Re: INEC Knew Of Audu’s Death Before Announcing Results by agabusta: 9:29am On Nov 23, 2015
Bobbystanley:

I disagree with you. Candidacy matters a lot when it comes to election. Party comes second.

And as core Nigerians we are, Tribe is always a big factor to consider while Voting..

APC should field another candidate for a fresh election in my Opinion since the constitution says nothing about this kind of scenario.

In the face of the law, the party takes priority not the candidate.

1 Like

Re: INEC Knew Of Audu’s Death Before Announcing Results by Kellzcold: 9:38am On Nov 23, 2015
Acidosis:
No big deal

"Party before Candidate"

INEC counted votes for APC, PDP, KOWA, etc, not Audu, Wada...

Audu is dead, but APC is alive. Supplementary elections continue in Dekina LGA for all parties.
So I guess this should have also applied in taraba state, where the people voted Pdp??
Re: INEC Knew Of Audu’s Death Before Announcing Results by wendixx(f): 9:59am On Nov 23, 2015
This thread is a Big Lie shocked . If he had died at 5am, He would have been buried on Sunday before sunset according to muslim rites.

Pls let all this propaganda and "sensationalization" undecided of events stop. Ahn! Ahn!! angry angry

1 Like

Re: INEC Knew Of Audu’s Death Before Announcing Results by muyi4every: 10:00am On Nov 23, 2015
wiseoneking:
Thats not fare, injustice in the highest order. Kogi west okun, though the smallest out of the 3 senetorial zone is the most marginalised and least populated. I hope associating with tinubu do not always lead to ostracism and rejection by wider society. Shameless inec, why?
Are you from Okun?
Re: INEC Knew Of Audu’s Death Before Announcing Results by Ikiriye(m): 10:00am On Nov 23, 2015
omowolewa:
Nothing stops the deputy from ascending the throne.
The two are the faces of APC on which platform they ran. A vote for APC means an acceptance of either person. I may decide to vote for APC either because of Audu or Faleke but the fact is I voted for APC.

Our laws aren't proactive but reactive
Your comment does not apply otherwise Amaechi shouldn't have been the gov of rivers state cos the party suspended him.so if the party decision was declined then this too will not hold water

1 Like

Re: INEC Knew Of Audu’s Death Before Announcing Results by Ikiriye(m): 10:02am On Nov 23, 2015
Bobbystanley:

You are on track,let the so called deputy test his popularity
Re: INEC Knew Of Audu’s Death Before Announcing Results by lexyclasy: 10:49am On Nov 23, 2015
omowolewa:
Nothing stops the deputy from ascending the throne.
The two are the faces of APC on which platform they ran. A vote for APC means an acceptance of either person. I may decide to vote for APC either because of Audu or Faleke but the fact is I voted for APC.

Our laws aren't proactive but reactive
Bros, is not done that way,the election was inconclusive had it been the election was conclusive that's when he would have been sworn in, again since the deputy was not the flag bearer then a fresh election is imminent funny enough INEC and Nigeria constitution have not said anything concerning this situation hence a judicial LACUNA still a fresh election imminent my view

1 Like

Re: INEC Knew Of Audu’s Death Before Announcing Results by omowolewa: 12:48pm On Nov 23, 2015
Am not a lawyer so, the outcome of this issue will definately school me. But. Am very sure the no case is exactly the same at different point in time.

Lawyers day.

Ikiriye:

Your comment does not apply otherwise Amaechi shouldn't have been the gov of rivers state cos the party suspended him.so if the party decision was declined then this too will not hold water
Re: INEC Knew Of Audu’s Death Before Announcing Results by barcaboi(m): 4:07pm On Nov 23, 2015
ify84:

http://saharareporters.com/2015/11/22/how-apc-guber-candidate-abubakar-audu-kogi-died

INEC knew of the death and decided to announce the election inconclusive just so a yoruba man, anointed by Tinubu will not rule Kogi... If INEC had announced Audu winner, by now, his deputy will prepare to be sworn in...

A new twist...

Faleke is dogara/saraki faction. .....so how did Tinubu come into play. ....why can't people find out things b4 they start the Yoruba anointed by Tinubu story
Re: INEC Knew Of Audu’s Death Before Announcing Results by barcaboi(m): 4:08pm On Nov 23, 2015
ify84:

http://saharareporters.com/2015/11/22/how-apc-guber-candidate-abubakar-audu-kogi-died

INEC knew of the death and decided to announce the election inconclusive just so a yoruba man, anointed by Tinubu will not rule Kogi... If INEC had announced Audu winner, by now, his deputy will prepare to be sworn in...

A new twist...

Faleke is dogara/saraki faction. .....so how did Tinubu come into play. ....why can't people find out things b4 they start the Yoruba anointed by Tinubu story.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Peoples Mega Party (PMP): Aggrieved PDP Men Float New Party / Senator Ali Wakili Is Dead! / Bridget Austin Okai: My Husband's Life Is In Danger - Wife Of Atiku's Aide

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.