Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,620 members, 7,809,281 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:14 AM

How To Survive In The Oil And Gas Industry? - Career (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How To Survive In The Oil And Gas Industry? (37838 Views)

4 Secret Ways To Survive In Lagos With A Small Salary / 8 Annoying Jobs Nigeria Graduates Do In Order To Survive At Overseas Countries / 5 Things You Need To Survive In The Real World As A Nigerian Graduate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Survive In The Oil And Gas Industry? by therealMcCain: 7:51pm On Nov 25, 2015
MadCow1:

I believe that if you reply the mail, my email should show up.

I sent you a Pm, I'm yet to get a reply. I have checked my spam too
Re: How To Survive In The Oil And Gas Industry? by Nobody: 8:34pm On Nov 25, 2015
dabriggs:

Ehen, I don come back. I am back

Sorry for the late reply. I am completing my program here and there are just a lot of things to do related to graduation and convocation.
You studied Civil Engineering. That is good. Let me start by saying this:

Generally the business can informally be split into two 2.

1. There are Oil Producing Companies which are either International Oil Companies (IOCs e.g. Shell, Chevron, Mobil, Total) OR Indigenous/Local Oil Companies (Pan Ocean, Moni Pulo, Conoil,).

2. There are Oil Servicing Companies (OSCs) and these offer a very long list of services from rudimentary supplies to highly specialized technical services to the IOCs. The IOCs do not have all the skills and some of these services are required maybe once in 3 or 5 years. It is cheaper and better to outsource such to servicing companies. In the past they used to be many international servicing companies. But now, the Nigerian local content laws have made most of these international servicing companies merge with local companies or ''indegenize''. International servicing companies include Technip, SUBSEA 7, Baker Hughes, Fugro, Schlum., NALCO, etc. Some of these companies might claim to be local. But believe me there is a foreign company pulling the strings from overseas. Local servicing companies include Makon, Tenoil, AOS Orwell, Clairgold, etc.

So why this long digression? You have a choice to work with any of the two groups. Within the core oil producing companies as a Civil Engineer, I will see you in:

1. Facilities or
2. Safety Engineering

Facilities guys manage the structures offshore or on land. They are involved in design, maintenance and management of the design life of oil producing and exporting assets. Within Safety Engineering you will be involved in asset integrity management and risk based inspection. Usually you will work closely with the Facilities guys on matters life design life extension, fatigue, corrosion control and corrosion prevention and protection, ageing and obsolescence, etc. The facilities will include stuff like FPSO Hull, mooring chains, SBM/SPM export buoy, pipes, vessels, risers.

With regards to servicing companies, you could work with the drilling and well completion companies, the design companies for facility designs.Pipeline construction, a host of technical issues related to civil /Structural works, platform construction, detailed Engineering for Civil/ Structural works as per Project specifications and applicable International codes and standards, subsea soil foundation and stability tests, technical review of design documents and method statements etc.

The courses will depend on which area you are interested in. Are you concerned with Design? Asset Integrity? Life Extension? Courses on STAAD Pro, some specialized training of fire resistant and blast resistant structures, training on Cathodic and Corrosion Protection, UTM and Non Destructive Testing (NDT) Systems and training on to be conversant with international codes and standards will also be good. ASTM, ASCE/ANSI, API, etc. With regards to loss prevention and asset integrity management you can Try PHAST, SAFETI, IFS, SYNERGI, VisualAIM etc.

You can also check the web to see where your discipline is heading and where to focus on developing yourself.

Hello, can you please direct me as well. What further courses and certifications would make electrical engineers relevant in d industry.

1 Like

Re: How To Survive In The Oil And Gas Industry? by Teeboy15(m): 8:56pm On Nov 25, 2015
dabriggs:

Sorry for the late reply. I am completing my program here and there are just a lot of things to do related to graduation and convocation.

1. There are Oil Producing Companies which are either International Oil Companies (IOCs e.g. Shell, Chevron, Mobil, Total) OR Indigenous/Local Oil Companies (Pan Ocean, Moni Pulo, Conoil,).

2. There are Oil Servicing Companies (OSCs) and these offer a very long list of services from rudimentary supplies to highly specialized technical services to the IOCs. The IOCs do not have all the skills and some of these services are required maybe once in 3 or 5 years. It is cheaper and better to outsource such to servicing companies. In the past they used to be many international servicing companies. But now, the Nigerian local content laws have made most of these international servicing companies merge with local companies or ''indegenize''. International servicing companies include Technip, SUBSEA 7, Baker Hughes, Fugro, Schlum., NALCO, etc. Some of these companies might claim to be local. But believe me there is a foreign company pulling the strings from overseas. Local servicing companies include Makon, Tenoil, AOS Orwell, Clairgold, etc.

So why this long digression? You have a choice to work with any of the two groups. Within the core oil producing companies as a Civil Engineer, I will see you in:

1. Facilities or
2. Safety Engineering

Facilities guys manage the structures offshore or on land. They are involved in design, maintenance and management of the design life of oil producing and exporting assets. Within Safety Engineering you will be involved in asset integrity management and risk based inspection. Usually you will work closely with the Facilities guys on matters life design life extension, fatigue, corrosion control and corrosion prevention and protection, ageing and obsolescence, etc. The facilities will include stuff like FPSO Hull, mooring chains, SBM/SPM export buoy, pipes, vessels, risers.

With regards to servicing companies, you could work with the drilling and well completion companies, the design companies for facility designs.Pipeline construction, a host of technical issues related to civil /Structural works, platform construction, detailed Engineering for Civil/ Structural works as per Project specifications and applicable International codes and standards, subsea soil foundation and stability tests, technical review of design documents and method statements etc.

The courses will depend on which area you are interested in. Are you concerned with Design? Asset Integrity? Life Extension? Courses on STAAD Pro, some specialized training of fire resistant and blast resistant structures, training on Cathodic and Corrosion Protection, UTM and Non Destructive Testing (NDT) Systems and training on to be conversant with international codes and standards will also be good. ASTM, ASCE/ANSI, API, etc. With regards to loss prevention and asset integrity management you can Try PHAST, SAFETI, IFS, SYNERGI, VisualAIM etc.

You can also check the web to see where your discipline is heading and where to focus on developing yourself.

Thanx a lot. With the above info I think SAFETY does it for me. I find it quite interesting. Will do a research on all of them n keep u posted.
I appreciate ur time
Re: How To Survive In The Oil And Gas Industry? by guysis(m): 9:20pm On Nov 26, 2015
dabriggs:

1. Facilities or
2. Safety Engineering

Loving all your expert inputs on this thread.I can see you know your onions and a no push over in this industry.Despite coming from the safety arm,your firm grasp of other areas of expertise all around the industry is amazing. I dey follow you closely.Kudos Bro!!!
Re: How To Survive In The Oil And Gas Industry? by Nobody: 10:27am On Nov 27, 2015
phoinix:

Hello, can you please direct me as well. What further courses and certifications would make electrical engineers relevant in d industry.

Sorry for the delay.

I do find you guys (Electrical Engineers) in many technical areas. There is actually one in Safety Engineering and he is quite good. Very good. This guy is not only good in electrical engineering but he is also super in Mechanical Engineering. Electrical Engineers are so PROOOOUD!!!! grin grin grin grin grin grin. VERY PROUD!!! angry angry

In the oil producing companies whether international or local, or servicing companies they are usually involved in 2 main areas that I know of:

1.Design/Operations
2.Electrical Safety Engineering and Management

(Note, this is based on my experience)

In design they:

usually design and plan high voltage and low voltage works in oil and gas facilities. Note as we will say in Electrical Safety ''Low Voltage Does Not Mean Low RISK''. You understand that. You are an EE. They are involved in the desing and interpretation of a lot of schematics. If any job needs to be done that may portend hitting a live cable (e.g. excavation works) they are called in to read the as-built schematics.

are involved in equipment selection and specification in design as well. There are a long list of electrical related equipment that they MUST be involved in design specifications (if it will be designed from scratch) or operational specifications if it will be bought off a vendor. Heat Exchangers, Compressors, Motors, Turbines, and the entire Power Module/Pack on facilities.

plan an schedule major electrical equipment/machinery over hull, servicing, upgrade, modification etc.

In general operations they are involved in management of day to day electrical issues in the office. They are a critical part of the maintenance team. Not a light bulb can be changed without them. The issues of competent person is taken seriously according to the MOSR 1997 Regulations. They also manage contractors in the office or on facilities who may handle electrical issues. In some instances they do get down and dirty and handle these problems themselves. They liaise also with electrical utility providers like NEPA..sorry NEPA don die, PHCN.

etc.etc.

On HSE they:

are involved in risk identification and analyses studies like PHAs (HAZOPS, HAZIDS, LOPA, SIL/SIF, FMEA, RCA). In some well advanced electrical engineering groups in some IOCs they carry out their own specific HAZOP (e-HAZOP). I told you they are very proud. grin grin.

are involved in lightning/thunder protection, induced current type CP, static electricity prevention and protection (bonding and grounding).

participate in any ''downgraded situation'' of any machinery that involves high/low voltage. They sing off/co-sign ''down graded situation '' forms. In protection of electrical rooms for instance, they contribute in the design of fire fighting and suppression systems, instrumentation.

are involved in maintenance of many industrial electronics and control equipment of 4-20mA of sensors, actuators in the PLS system, etc. etc. etc.

See their work plenty, in summary.

WHY DO I TELL THESE LONG STORIES? IT ALLOWS YOU SEE AREAS OF OPERATIONS AND HOW YOU CAN PICK OUT COURSES FOR MANY OF THESE VARIED AREAS. YOU UNDERSTAND WHAT THE ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF EEs IN THE OIL AND GAS INDUSTRY ARE. HOW THEIR ROLES, DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES ARE FASHIONED. ONCE YOU KNOW THIS YOU CAN TAILOR YOUR TRAINING AND SKILLS TO THESE DUTIES,ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES. When you know what is expected of you before hand, you know how to prepare.

As a safety engineer, I went online, downloaded over 100 past and present openings for safety engineer all over the world through the internet. I started classifying the job functions and duties and then organised them into areas/groups. I understood the skills and expectations from the profession better with a world wide view. YOU MUST NOT DO THIS. IT WORKED FOR ME. IT MIGHT OR MIGHT NOT WORK FOR YOU.

1.Electrical/Instrumentation Basic Process Controls Courses
2.Reliability/Functional Safety-SPECIFICALLY ON ELECTRICAL EQUIPMENT (IEC)
3.Electrical Production Systems
4.Oil and Gas Electrical Engineering Systems (I think OPITO offers this)
5.CP especially impressed current type. But pay attention to all types

Look around you too. There are many opportunities or tailored courses you might find. They must not be EE based. I fancy NEBOSH IGC/IDP, and Oil and Gas Project Management.

CHEERS.

4 Likes

Re: How To Survive In The Oil And Gas Industry? by guysis(m): 1:32pm On Nov 27, 2015
@dabriggs,How can somebody from a physics background and NDT break into the industry?Like what are the prospects?
Re: How To Survive In The Oil And Gas Industry? by ifyegede(m): 7:32pm On Nov 27, 2015
@dabriggs mind you kindly contact me via ifeanyi2excel@Gmail.com? would really be grateful if you do. Thanks and God bless you
Re: How To Survive In The Oil And Gas Industry? by xfire: 8:04pm On Nov 27, 2015
Just seeing this. Reading through, some enlightened minds have provided some very good responses to your enquiries. Enjoy..
nedie:
Good day all

I saw thread about how to survive as a contract staff in the banking industry and couldn’t help but create one for the IOCs.

Not that I know how to survive but anyone working there can educate the house.

I work in a bank but most times I always wonder if it is the same thing in the oil and gas industry. Maybe because I aspire to work there someday.

The discrimination is real! I can’t help but wonder, in all them oil companies is it the same level of discrimination? Is it as bad as it in banks?

The banks discriminate financially, benefit-wise even when it comes to work, the contract staff get a larger share and the worst part is that there is no hope of being converted to a full staff

So i`m calling on those who have worked in the oil and gas sector, please enlighten the house.

Cc jarus xfire scantee

Re: How To Survive In The Oil And Gas Industry? by ksstroud: 8:09pm On Nov 27, 2015
xfire:
Just seeing this. Reading through, some enlightened minds have provided some very good responses to your enquiries. Enjoy..

Erhmmmm but sir, I am waiting for your contribution too... It will compliment the aforestated points...
Re: How To Survive In The Oil And Gas Industry? by Nobody: 11:14pm On Nov 27, 2015
ifyegede:
@dabriggs mind you kindly contact me via ifeanyi2excel@Gmail.com? would really be grateful if you do. Thanks and God bless you

I do not understand your post. I sent you a PM anyway. No harm no foul. Let us keep ''God'' out of this for now.
Re: How To Survive In The Oil And Gas Industry? by Nobody: 11:16pm On Nov 27, 2015
guysis:
@dabriggs,How can somebody from a physics background and NDT break into the industry?Like what are the prospects?

Give me a minute. Will come back to modify.
Re: How To Survive In The Oil And Gas Industry? by Nobody: 8:56pm On Nov 28, 2015
dabriggs:

Alright, give it a go. Send it to me.

I do not see what is wrong in construction. You instrument guys have a lot to offer and learn everyday on the field. And you guys practically own these assets and the processes. But perhaps you know better why you say work conditions are poor. Even I am looking for higher grounds. And if today someone can get me a job with higher pay, hell I will love to move up too. Progress is something we all want.
@ dabriggs
And https://www.nairaland.com/madcow1
Have you heard about Geoplex? Please can you relate to what they do/do you have pals who work with them? Are they much into mwd/dwd or drilling like aos orwell?
Re: How To Survive In The Oil And Gas Industry? by guysis(m): 11:09am On Nov 30, 2015
guysis:
Bro please I'm still looking up to this answer. Thanks
Re: How To Survive In The Oil And Gas Industry? by bellyjean(m): 8:34pm On Nov 30, 2015
This thread has been enlightening for me. It's like i'm watching d oil and gas industry working environment in 4D grin. Thanks to dabriggs, scantee, madcow1 and co.

You all have been talking about contract staffs and the contractors. Abeg who are these contractors? Are there any contracting companies?.

Also, I just finished my Nysc, I studied Materials engineering. These training courses are very expensive. Older guys, abeg how did u start?

I would love to go into d corrosion aspect of oil n gas, pls give me directions.
Re: How To Survive In The Oil And Gas Industry? by Nobody: 10:12pm On Nov 30, 2015
guysis:

Bro please I'm still looking up to this answer. Thanks

Sorry for the delay.

I said I was going to reply. I keep my word.

So you have a Physics background. THE PROSPECTS ARE ACTUALLY BETTER THAN ONE MIGHT THINK. A lot of the calculations are based on physical parameters and the behavior of physical parameters in relation to reservoir fluids and reservoir characteristics. Also is the area of interrelationship between oil producing assets and their interaction with the environment. There are many other aspect where your prospects also lie.

Thinking to myself, I wonder which area you specialized on. Did you have any specialization or area of focus in school. You will have to Channel your skills and specializations into some key areas through further training. That is not to say your knowledge of Physics if extensive will not suffice. I have seen people with lesser qualifications in this industry. With Physics you can work both in Oil Producing (the Mobils, Chevrons, Shells, NAEs, NAOCs, Totals, Pan Oceans, AFREN/AMNI if they still exist, SAHARA etc.) and Oil Servicing Companies e.g. the drilling and completion companies. I am sure of the following areas based on my over 10 years experience in this industry.

Some areas I have know you will be of good use are the following:

OIL PRODUCING COMPANIES (IOCS & LOCAL)

1. Asset Integrity/Safety Engineering:
You will focus basically on asset integrity and functional safety. Reliability, Availability, Maintainability, Serviceability and Safety. Your knowledge in Non Destructive Testing will come in here. You will most likely monitor the work of contractors and participate in NDT activities. If you are skilled in Long Range NDT especially for Pipelines, then this is good too. I went to the US for this knowledge and the use of intrinsic safe amphibious robots for API Tank shell and bottom plate inspection. Yes these tanks will be in service and yet you do your API 653 test.

2. Facilities Management:
You will be involved in facilities design, structural strength, design load calculations etc. With extensive application of knowledge in Materials Sciences, Metallurgy. Management of offshore/nearshore/swamp/onshore facilities. Ensuring design life and operational life objectives are met. Management of the structures. Working with HSE to organize and execute testing, inspections, repairs, corrosion combat/campaigns, etc. The facilities cut across SUBSEA (well heads, manifolds, risers, flow-lines) and SURFACE (FPSOs, Production Platforms-Manned and Unmanned, vessels, pipelines, export buoys, mooring chains both for spread and turret moored facilities, etc.)

3. Field Development:
a. Exploration where electromagnetic and other seismic techniques are used to find oil and gas, especially in more difficult environments and reservoirs conditions/characteristics. There is a lot of Petrophysical and Geophysical Activities involved in exploration and production and in reservoir modelling. They are involved in Field Development and are a part of the field development team.
b. Reservoir modelling and Development especially as a geophysicist/ petrophysicists.

While there are core Geophysics courses in Universities, you can also channel yourself towards this area by specialized training. You can do an MSc. in Petrophysics if you have the time and money. I did this a lot. My brother I have read so many books even into Gas Engineering and how to Safety Manage and Engineer these facilities. I did not wait for any course. I bought books, especially books with real life applications and calculations and examples. APPLIED BOOKS.

4. Research and Development:
These guys are guys who develop new skills in the laboratory and try them out on the field. Unfortunately The Oil companies in Nigeria hardly have these teams in their Nigerian subsidiaries. Another thing is that most IOCs do not bother about this aspect. They let servicing companies like Schlumberger do the research and development and apply these on the field.

OIL SERVICING COMPANIES
You are well qualified also to work with servicing both local and international companies like Schlumberger, Halliburton and Bake Hughes etc. that are involved in drilling, completion and well servicing works. There are a lot of exercises including wireline petrophysics, Geophysical Well Log Analyses (GWLA), Nuclear Magnetic Resonance and many other new methods. Note, a lot of these servicing companies are also involved in exploration and seismic activities. Here you will play a great role especially in interpreting seismic data recorded during seismic exploration.

FOCUS/NEEDS ASSESSMENT
I will give my opinion here, but I want you to go look at job openings for Physicists/Geophysicists in the oil and gas industry. Look at what is expected of them and channel your courses, reading and areas of interest towards these skills and areas.

1.There are a lot of Geophysical Software
2. Petrophysical Software
3. Well log interpretation training
4. There are new emerging technologies and skills for well data gathering and analyses that you can also research on.
5. If you want to tow the line of HSE or make it complementary then you can do stuff on CP, AIMS/RBI, etc.

Sorry for the long delay once again.

2 Likes

Re: How To Survive In The Oil And Gas Industry? by femoalaofin: 12:57am On Dec 01, 2015
hello guys, if you need the latest 2015 ASPEN HYSYS v8.8 plus how to install it, please do contact me..price is affordable.
Re: How To Survive In The Oil And Gas Industry? by Nobody: 1:40pm On Dec 01, 2015
IHate9ja1:

@ dabriggs
And https://www.nairaland.com/madcow1
Have you heard about Geoplex? Please can you relate to what they do/do you have pals who work with them? Are they much into mwd/dwd or drilling like aos orwell?

They do a lot more. I do not know what their pay package is, but it should be average in the oil and gas industry.

To make things easy, I have put the link to their website here.

http://www.geoplex.com/

Goodluck
Re: How To Survive In The Oil And Gas Industry? by Nobody: 3:30pm On Dec 01, 2015
dabriggs:

They do a lot more. I do not know what their pay package is, but it should be average in the oil and gas industry.

To make things easy, I have put the link to their website here.

http://www.geoplex.com/

Goodluck
I visited the companies website earlier,what I was trying to know is if they are into oil well drilling? Which is why I contacted you,I was linked to their ceo but I haven't heard from him.

'If you want to tow the line of
HSE or make it complementary
then you can do stuff on CP,
AIMS/RBI"....can you give more detailed analysis?
Sir,looking into H.SE as a career? Is it a good way to get into the industry? Many people have this certification;what other affordable certifications would you recommend?
Re: How To Survive In The Oil And Gas Industry? by Nobody: 3:41pm On Dec 01, 2015
IHate9ja1:

I visited the companies website earlier,what I was trying to know is if they are into oil well drilling? Which is why I contacted you,I was linked to their ceo but I haven't heard from him.

Yes they are into Oil well drilling, completion and well logging works. However, I do not know how many contracts they have had or the cale of their operations.

They probable are more skilled at handling land and swamp based facilities. That is not to say they do not have offshore contracts. I am saying based on my experience I have not met them offshore on facilities. But I have been out studying on a post graduate level for two years now. A lot going on back home that I am not aware off. Cant wait to get back to work.

Well I hope the CEO gets back to you. Cast your bread upon many waters. If there are openings we are aware of also, we will do well to let the house know. That is one way we can help the house. Just that like I explained, many projects are stalled.

There are no new projects. New projects mean new field development, meaning new/more hands required meaning more jobs for oil and gas contractors meaning more job openings. Let us keep our fingers crossed and keep working and praying.
Re: How To Survive In The Oil And Gas Industry? by guysis(m): 3:58pm On Dec 01, 2015
dabriggs:

Sorry for the delay.

I said I was going to reply. I keep my word.

So you have a Physics background. THE PROSPECTS ARE ACTUALLY BETTER THAN ONE MIGHT THINK. A lot of the calculations are based on physical parameters and the behavior of physical parameters in relation to reservoir fluids and reservoir characteristics. Also is the area of interrelationship between oil producing assets and their interaction with the environment. There are many other aspect where your prospects also lie.

Thinking to myself, I wonder which area you specialized on. Did you have any specialization or area of focus in school. You will have to Channel your skills and specializations into some key areas through further training. That is not to say your knowledge of Physics if extensive will not suffice. I have seen people with lesser qualifications in this industry. With Physics you can work both in Oil Producing (the Mobils, Chevrons, Shells, NAEs, NAOCs, Totals, Pan Oceans, AFREN/AMNI if they still exist, SAHARA etc.) and Oil Servicing Companies e.g. the drilling and completion companies. I am sure of the following areas based on my over 10 years experience in this industry.

Some areas I have know you will be of good use are the following:

OIL PRODUCING COMPANIES (IOCS & LOCAL)

1. Asset Integrity/Safety Engineering:
You will focus basically on asset integrity and functional safety. Reliability, Availability, Maintainability, Serviceability and Safety. Your knowledge in Non Destructive Testing will come in here. You will most likely monitor the work of contractors and participate in NDT activities. If you are skilled in Long Range NDT especially for Pipelines, then this is good too. I went to the US for this knowledge and the use of intrinsic safe amphibious robots for API Tank shell and bottom plate inspection. Yes these tanks will be in service and yet you do your API 653 test.

2. Facilities Management:
You will be involved in facilities design, structural strength, design load calculations etc. With extensive application of knowledge in Materials Sciences, Metallurgy. Management of offshore/nearshore/swamp/onshore facilities. Ensuring design life and operational life objectives are met. Management of the structures. Working with HSE to organize and execute testing, inspections, repairs, corrosion combat/campaigns, etc. The facilities cut across SUBSEA (well heads, manifolds, risers, flow-lines) and SURFACE (FPSOs, Production Platforms-Manned and Unmanned, vessels, pipelines, export buoys, mooring chains both for spread and turret moored facilities, etc.)

3. Field Development:
a. Exploration where electromagnetic and other seismic techniques are used to find oil and gas, especially in more difficult environments and reservoirs conditions/characteristics. There is a lot of Petrophysical and Geophysical Activities involved in exploration and production and in reservoir modelling. They are involved in Field Development and are a part of the field development team.
b. Reservoir modelling and Development especially as a geophysicist/ petrophysicists.

While there are core Geophysics courses in Universities, you can also channel yourself towards this area by specialized training. You can do an MSc. in Petrophysics if you have the time and money. I did this a lot. My brother I have read so many books even into Gas Engineering and how to Safety Manage and Engineer these facilities. I did not wait for any course. I bought books, especially books with real life applications and calculations and examples. APPLIED BOOKS.

4. Research and Development:
These guys are guys who develop new skills in the laboratory and try them out on the field. Unfortunately The Oil companies in Nigeria hardly have these teams in their Nigerian subsidiaries. Another thing is that most IOCs do not bother about this aspect. They let servicing companies like Schlumberger do the research and development and apply these on the field.

OIL SERVICING COMPANIES
You are well qualified also to work with servicing both local and international companies like Schlumberger, Halliburton and Bake Hughes etc. that are involved in drilling, completion and well servicing works. There are a lot of exercises including wireline petrophysics, Geophysical Well Log Analyses (GWLA), Nuclear Magnetic Resonance and many other new methods. Note, a lot of these servicing companies are also involved in exploration and seismic activities. Here you will play a great role especially in interpreting seismic data recorded during seismic exploration.

FOCUS/NEEDS ASSESSMENT
I will give my opinion here, but I want you to go look at job openings for Physicists/Geophysicists in the oil and gas industry. Look at what is expected of them and channel your courses, reading and areas of interest towards these skills and areas.

1.There are a lot of Geophysical Software
2. Petrophysical Software
3. Well log interpretation training
4. There are new emerging technologies and skills for well data gathering and analyses that you can also research on.
5. If you want to tow the line of HSE or make it complementary then you can do stuff on CP, AIMS/RBI, etc.

Sorry for the long delay once again.
Thanks!!! Well said.No. 1&2 is very OK for me. I can now see that in other to achieve this,a lot of financial commitment is involved. Hmm!!!
Re: How To Survive In The Oil And Gas Industry? by Nobody: 6:06pm On Dec 01, 2015
dabriggs:

Yes they are into Oil well drilling, completion and well logging works. However, I do not know how many contracts they have had or the cale of their operations.

They probable are more skilled at handling land and swamp based facilities. That is not to say they do not have offshore contracts. I am saying based on my experience I have not met them offshore on facilities. But I have been out studying on a post graduate level for two years now. A lot going on back home that I am not aware off. Cant wait to get back to work.

Well I hope the CEO gets back to you. Cast your bread upon many waters. If there are openings we are aware of also, we will do well to let the house know. That is one way we can help the house. Just that like I explained, many projects are stalled.

There are no new projects. New projects mean new field development, meaning new/more hands required meaning more jobs for oil and gas contractors meaning more job openings. Let us keep our fingers crosses and keep working and praying.

Thanks for your expansive and detailed reply sir. The link to their Oga also came from an uncle of mine who is also a CEO too although not in the oil sector. Am casting my net wide and giving every opportunity my best shot,am only trust God although he would send a man.
Can a contract staff study for postgraduate and still be retained upon his return from abroad after 2years?
As per working offshore,what are the core certifications need to work as a roustabout or h.se officer?
Re: How To Survive In The Oil And Gas Industry? by Champella(m): 11:53pm On Dec 01, 2015
Mehn! Plenty bosses full here o. cool

Please what are the prospects of a Mechanical Engineer in the Oil & Gas industry?
Re: How To Survive In The Oil And Gas Industry? by Lynuche: 12:42pm On Dec 03, 2015
I read industrial chemistry
Mrbigman1:

Depends on what u wanna go for and what u read in school.

Engineering, if it's drilling, or producing work.

Computer science and engineering can do almost everything. They are the ones with the greatest opportunity in dis field including electrical and electronics.

If na geology, it's another good deal. Depending on what u read den I can direct u on what u can go for.
Re: How To Survive In The Oil And Gas Industry? by bellyjean(m): 2:54pm On Dec 03, 2015
Seniores here please reply me nahh
Cc: dabriggs
Madcow1
Re: How To Survive In The Oil And Gas Industry? by Nobody: 7:36pm On Dec 03, 2015
bellyjean:
This thread has been enlightening for me. It's like i'm watching d oil and gas industry working environment in 4D grin. Thanks to dabriggs, scantee, madcow1 and co.

You all have been talking about contract staffs and the contractors. Abeg who are these contractors? Are there any contracting companies?.

Also, I just finished my Nysc, I studied Materials engineering. These training courses are very expensive. Older guys, abeg how did u start?

I would love to go into d corrosion aspect of oil n gas, pls give me directions.

TRULY THE PAYMENT/THANK YOU/APPRECIATION FOR HARD WORK IS MORE WORK smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley

I explained earlier. You can categorize the industry (informally) from two angles (so to speak):

1. Oil Producing Companies (Both International e.g. Shell, Chevron, Mobil, Total etc or Local e.g. Conoil, Moni Pulo, Pan Ocean etc.)

2. Oil Servicing Companies (Both International Halliburton, Julius Berger, SAIPEM, Baker Hughes or Local e.g. ESSOH-Engineering & Managers, Makon, ERML,Clairgold, Akwela, Tenoil, FENOG, West Atlantic-WAEL, etc.)

Oil producing companies have oil blocks and produce and sell crude oil and gas from these oil blocks/field. The facilities and equipment required to produce oil from these blocks depends on whether the oil block is offshore or onshore or in a swamp or deep offshore.

Oil servicing companies on the other hand offer services to oil producing companies. These oil servicing companies MUST be registered with the DPR to provide even the most basic of oi services. From catering services to supply of envelopes, to drilling services, to safety engineering and integrity services, environmental services, and even to provision of concierge and security services. They must all be registered with DPR and obtain a DPR License which expires after one year. No kidding. These are oil servicing companies. They offer from non technical simple services to highly skilled and specialized services. This is where drilling companies and well logging and well servicing and completion companies come in. This is where seismic companies come in. They win contracts for these services and offer these services to the Oil Producing Companies.

So, these contractors are companies that provide various services required by the International and Local Oil Producing Companies. Your interest in these oil and gas servicing companies will be dependent on which of these contractors that offer services that concern your discipline, specialization or area of interest? The answer will depend on you.

Corrosion prevention and management is a critical part of all oil and gas installations. Especially in deep offshore environments where the environment is marine. Even after spending a few hours outside on the top side of the facilities if you lick your lips, it is SALTY. This condition promotes corrosion. The humidity is practically salty. On these facilities there is annual corrosion and lubrication campaigns to stop ( well not really to stop), reduce, combat and manage corrosion. Corrosion campaigns are compulsory and an integral part of integrity, ageing and obsolescence management of oil producing facilities and modules/skids like the oil separators, pipelines, manifolds, risers/flow-lines, chemical injection, produced water treatment and etc. They carry out sandblasting and chipping/descaling where necessary and repainting works. Without these, the facilities will not last at all.

You ask how we started. The thing is while a lot of us did some training on our own i.e. we paid for them, once you are employed you are sent to a lot of training. Especially if you are employed by a producing company. But now the industry is tighter. The labor market more saturated everyday. If you can get a stepping stone job (as we call it) then no problem. I did. I was in FirstBank as a matter of necessity to make a living. But my heart was to find a better place. Note I am not recommending banking. For me it worked. It might not for you. With the stepping stone job you can finance some courses.

As a matter of fact, sending you on courses is a task/target of the HR department. Since you are interested in corrosion management you could do the following;

1.Cathodic/Corrosion Protection/ Prevention Courses
2. Courses on Non Destructive Testing Methods
3. Courses on NACE and Understanding the regulations guiding corrosion prevention and management e.g. NACE Internatonal Courses
4. Visit institute of corrosion website

Also, you can:
-Investigate what it takes to be a corrosion engineer online
-Find job openings (OPENINGS, Plural) where they seek a corrosion engineer and look at the roles, duties and responsibilities expected of the person.That way you can know what the general expectations are.
-Find online courses you can take
-GO TO YOU TUBE. If I tell people how many videos I downloaded from YouTube and how much they helped me, they wont believe. I watch, calculate with the tutors as they teach etc. Download videos on corrosion prevention. There are lots of WEBINARS on this. YouTube videos made me a specialist in many areas of my discipline. Downloading was easy for me. My job keeps me in hotels almost on a monthly basis. Which means free, fast internet. cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy Na from there o. Truly to those that have, more will be given to them. smiley smiley

Have fun.

3 Likes

Re: How To Survive In The Oil And Gas Industry? by therealMcCain: 6:46pm On Dec 05, 2015
dabriggs:

Alright, give it a go. Send it to me.

I do not see what is wrong in construction. You instrument guys have a lot to offer and learn everyday on the field. And you guys practically own these assets and the processes. But perhaps you know better why you say work conditions are poor. Even I am looking for higher grounds. And if today someone can get me a job with higher pay, hell I will love to move up too. Progress is something we all want.

Sorry for the late response, I have sent you a Pm.

as for poor work condition/welfare maybe it has to do with my company but one thing that is common to all construction companies is their work schedule & it sucks

Imagine working for 1month, only to have 3days as off or to work for 1month & leave site last Thursday to resume on Monday, the best I have heard of is 3weeks on & 1 week off, mind you some of these locations are remote

One would think that, with such length of stay, compensation would occur in terms of pay. Nada!!!

But for maintenance, it's relatively better in terms of pay/allowance & then time off schedule. another thing is once, the project is completed in construction, it's to your tent O Israel with or without pay off!!
Re: How To Survive In The Oil And Gas Industry? by Nobody: 7:55pm On Dec 06, 2015
https://www.nairaland.com/dabriggs
Sir,how about saipem; have you met their crew offshore? Were they drilling,pipe laying or .....? Kindly share your experience sir?
Sir you look great and handsome in your profile picture!
#manofwisdom!
Re: How To Survive In The Oil And Gas Industry? by whiteroses(f): 1:32pm On Dec 07, 2015
Hi house , a female msc holder in oil and gas management has any chance in this industry ? I await your opinion thanks .
Ive lived in US all my life but the parents think im mean if i dont come back to naija. I have no work experience yet as i just graduated.
Re: How To Survive In The Oil And Gas Industry? by Nobody: 8:11pm On Dec 07, 2015
MadCow1:

Not all Bro..

In my entire time as a Contract staff, I was never owed my Salary.

Contract rates is dependent on: Job Description, Value of your project and the percentage overhead being deducted from your pay by the Contractor.

My experience as a Contract staff was so pleasant I will quit my current Permanent position job to go back to my old Contract Staff job in a second.

The timing of salary payment is dependent on the entity you worked for.
Baba I'm a graduate of chemical engineering with professional courses in oil and gas training.
I really need link at least to gain experience please
Re: How To Survive In The Oil And Gas Industry? by Nobody: 8:54pm On Dec 07, 2015
IHate9ja1:
https://www.nairaland.com/dabriggs
Sir,how about saipem; have you met their crew offshore? Were they drilling,pipe laying or .....? Kindly share your experience sir?
Sir you look great and handsome in your profile picture!
#manofwisdom!

I no handsome ooo. I no great at all sef. I ''wor-wor'' and as a mater of fact, I am so ugly ladies hate me and babies cry upon sighting my face. But thanks all the same.

SAIPEM, well yes. While they are majorly into engineering and construction they also do other stuff both onshore and offshore. There has been some shake up in the company with a bid to get more involved in more oil and gas activities and contracts. It is almost as if the company is re-branding itself and wants to be more of a major player in the servicing industry.

I know a couple of their drill ships. On the OPL 245 Project (when it was still live, before it was frozen) Sapiem10, 000 drill ship was to be brought in to drill some wells. SEDCO EXPRESS and WEST POLARIS Semi Sub Drilling Rig and Drill ship respectively, were drilling on the field. I remember vividly going through the Sedco Express en-route to the MERLIN. My presence was so critical to Merlin's operations, I was transferred with the Zodiac FRC. grin grin grin grin grin. It was not very safe but it was thrilling. I cannot recall the details now, but I think there was a need to speed up field development and another drill ship was to be contracted. Many were considered and Saipem10,000 was favored because it could drill in ultra deep waters. Besides it is a very advanced drill ship and of course it belonged to Saipem which is a sister company to NAE who is the operator of the OPL245 Block. They are fully into drilling services as well.

The Total's Egina Field development (which they are still going ahead with despite the fall in oil prices ) has SAIPEM Playing a great role therein. They are handling EPCI of flow lines, pipelines etc. Of course Egina is considered deep offshore and Saipem is making its mark in shallow and deep offshore environments.

And oh yes. Call it frivolous, worldly, shallow or call it anything. I LIKE THEIR COVERALLS. Why, well I just think it is cute. Also I like the European styled coveralls.

Funny enough the company has huge potentials. Some areas of its activities are not even felt in Nigeria as they are in Europe.
Re: How To Survive In The Oil And Gas Industry? by whiteroses(f): 9:59pm On Dec 07, 2015
Re: How To Survive In The Oil And Gas Industry? by whiteroses(f): 10:00pm On Dec 07, 2015
Can someone answer mine pls! I already posted earlier, i am a young business woman , am i better off saving and working for myself when i return to Nigeria or embark on a career in oil & gas as i said earlier i have a msc in oil & gas mgt please advice a sister.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

My Banker Friend Quit His Job To Work In A Car Wash / Medical Scientist Graduate Salary / How Nigerians Hustle To Put Food On The Table On A Daily Basis (video/pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 156
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.