Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,472 members, 7,812,455 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:39 PM

Between A Multi National And Lecturing Job - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Between A Multi National And Lecturing Job (20296 Views)

Latest National And International Jobs For Nigerian Graduates / Ontop Recession, I Land Multi National JOB Today / Can A 2.2 Graduate Get A Lecturing Job? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Between A Multi National And Lecturing Job by anonimi: 11:51am On Nov 25, 2015
tope24:
My 2 cents sir, take the multinational coy job then work at getting your Msc and PhD. This will equip you to become a better lecturer cos of the experience you will gets. Believe me if only some of our lecturers have relevant work experience in the department they function.

Good Great comment! cheesy
Nothing to add.
Simply to reinforce it by saying your multinational company can greatly appreciate your taking on a part-time lecturing job after some years as part of its own Corporate Social responsibility, CSR for added visibility and indirect profitability boost.
BTW, congrats oh to the OP. grin
Re: Between A Multi National And Lecturing Job by PRODUTIM1(m): 11:51am On Nov 25, 2015
I will advice you to go for lecturing job. I once worked with someone with same ambition and job opportunity you just mentioned,he went into lecturing eventually.
Re: Between A Multi National And Lecturing Job by raziboi(m): 11:52am On Nov 25, 2015
Abyam:
I'm married with 2 kids. I lost my job 3 years ago when my company was restructuring.
So I know how tough it is to be jobless especially with a family that is looking up to you for provision.

On the 15th Nov. God blessed my hustle and i got an offer from one of the high institution in my state as an assistant lecturer. I was very happy when i collected the offer, it rekindled my hope for the future because i have longed to become a lecturer since i was in school as it will give me opportunity to upgrade my certificates and to even study to Phd level with abundant of scholarships at their disposal.

But events took another turn this week when i was called by a coy i attended it's interview 2 years a go, they sent me an sms inviting me to come and meet their boss for final stage of the interview, to cut the story short....... i was offered another job with a mouth watery pay 3x the govt job, i'm to resume work on the 11th of January 2016.

My delimma now is to choose between a job with average pay(lecturing) while career growth is gradual or go for the money with opportunity to travel to other countries and a world class exposure.

Please Senior Men in the house advice me, i need the money but i'm worried because where i was working 3 yrs ago i was well paid, things were moving smoothly but when the time came to downsize, it can take anybody, matured advice gentlemen!

though am still a young blood, I av compare and contrast.... with people opinions....
ma broda pick de multinational company's own..... u can still upgrade ur cert..... am not saying diz cus of the money.... with dis job u ll meet people.. dat might help u to ur next level

ma one cent though... tank u
Re: Between A Multi National And Lecturing Job by Karanka: 11:54am On Nov 25, 2015
Abyam:
I'm married with 2 kids. I lost my job 3 years ago when my company was restructuring.
So I know how tough it is to be jobless especially with a family that is looking up to you for provision.

On the 15th Nov. God blessed my hustle and i got an offer from one of the high institution in my state as an assistant lecturer. I was very happy when i collected the offer, it rekindled my hope for the future because i have longed to become a lecturer since i was in school as it will give me opportunity to upgrade my certificates and to even study to Phd level with abundant of scholarships at their disposal.

But events took another turn this week when i was called by a coy i attended it's interview 2 years a go, they sent me an sms inviting me to come and meet their boss for final stage of the interview, to cut the story short....... i was offered another job with a mouth watery pay 3x the govt job, i'm to resume work on the 11th of January 2016.

My delimma now is to choose between a job with average pay(lecturing) while career growth is gradual or go for the money with opportunity to travel to other countries and a world class exposure.

Please Senior Men in the house advice me, i need the money but i'm worried because where i was working 3 yrs ago i was well paid, things were moving smoothly but when the time came to downsize, it can take anybody, matured advice gentlemen!
Brother,take the company job.
It has more to offer to you than being an assistant lecturer. It's not a bed of roses for lecturers in state institutions in Nigeria.
Most of them do a lot of things to keep their heads above the water. Take the company job,only that this time around,while at it,be wise in terms of saving for the future and upgrading yourself academically.
Lecturing jobs will always be there so long as you have the basic requirements,but you can't say same for multinational company jobs.

1 Like

Re: Between A Multi National And Lecturing Job by sellydion: 12:05pm On Nov 25, 2015
Take the multinational and never stop learning.

1 Like

Re: Between A Multi National And Lecturing Job by obstead200(m): 12:08pm On Nov 25, 2015
Abyam:

Guy be wise. who says u cant do both? if the state where the multinational coy based is close by, i think u can do both.

I keep praying and fasting and believing God for a lecturing Job cos it will give me time to pursue other personal biz while at the same time guaranteeing me an income every month.

Thank God it is a state institution. They wont monitor u strictly like federal and private.

1 Like

Re: Between A Multi National And Lecturing Job by 123papas(m): 12:16pm On Nov 25, 2015
Don't listen to them cos they are not senior men grin

If the multinational job is project based (whether permanent or contract) you can still be dropped on redundancy when project is over because of the lean budget this era of low oil prices and western countries being independent of oil importation. I advise the lecturer job.

If the multinational is into operational based e.g. oil producing; take it even your pay off if dropped after many years is enough to put a smile on your face.

But If your state is a state like Osun, that can owe salaries for 9 months, take the multinational job and remain sane.

Finally, you cannot do an academic masters while working in a private project based business because no project will pay you to sit down as they are constrained by cost.
Re: Between A Multi National And Lecturing Job by ChiefS(m): 12:17pm On Nov 25, 2015
The multinational is better.I am a lecturer in one of the leading federal universities.I know what I've been through.If you are interested in lecturing you better get your PhD first. There is no job security or career growth without a PhD and you might not even have the time.

1 Like

Re: Between A Multi National And Lecturing Job by 123papas(m): 12:18pm On Nov 25, 2015
people planning to destroy our country by being unprofessional yet they can pray
obstead200:
Guy be wise. who says u cant do both? if the state where the multinational coy based is close by, i think u can do both.

I keep praying and fasting and believing God for a lecturing Job cos it will give me time to pursue other personal biz while at the same time guaranteeing me an income every month.

Thank God it is a state institution. They wont monitor u strictly like federal and private.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Between A Multi National And Lecturing Job by lonelydora: 12:20pm On Nov 25, 2015
Remember that incase of any eventualities, the HR acronym LIFO (Last in First out) will come to play. May God guide you. It's a hard decision
Re: Between A Multi National And Lecturing Job by Mayflowa(m): 12:24pm On Nov 25, 2015
It is easier to leave a multinational job to academics than the reverse. The benefit of consulting comes mostly from job experience and contacts. I am a senior academics too but I will advise he goes to experience his discipline in the real world first before turning into academics. That way, he would be able to impart knowledge, consult and earn more.

The easiest gateway to academics is PhD certificate. This he can acquire alongside his multinational job on weekends or online. So the lecturing job is waiting for him if you planned well. However, some institutions will offer him leave of absence up to five years without pay if he applies to the Vice Chancellor that he is going for a job training and would be coming back to apply the knowledge gained for research and academics. He should check with the labour and training office division in his school for advice. He shouldn't present it like a permanent job anyway. That way, he could come back if he became tired of the multinational job.

4 Likes

Re: Between A Multi National And Lecturing Job by obstead200(m): 12:26pm On Nov 25, 2015
123papas:
people planning to destroy our country by being unprofessional yet they can pray
Hey guy, take a chill pill.

pple work and also do business. In the USA and Europe, pple work more than 2 full time Jobs.
so why cant I do two jobs, or work and do business if I have the opportunity?
Re: Between A Multi National And Lecturing Job by airlord2020: 12:26pm On Nov 25, 2015
I guess you are still young. You have lecturing as passion and you need money and exposure to move your Family forward. You can still get your Phd while working depending on the course you want to study and can later lecture with it. If you decide to take the lecturing job, you might start complaining when you may not be able to meet your financial demand cause you may not have opportunity of making more money and having enough exposure. Things are not easy in government establishment too. Whole lot of godfatherism and politics. Are you ready for all these yet. If i were to be in your shoes I would take the multinational job offer, but the choice is yours. Life is full of risks and if you don't take risks you may never move forward.

1 Like

Re: Between A Multi National And Lecturing Job by chlowi(f): 12:28pm On Nov 25, 2015
monlawal:
This man knows that the multinational is better. What he is confused about is in case there is downsizing, multinationals can hire and fire anyone and he would go back to joblessness. Should he go for higher pay with uncertain future or lower pay with a protected future and robust retirement plan?

You nailed it. Even the op cudnt have explained it better.

1 Like

Re: Between A Multi National And Lecturing Job by Fernandez01: 12:30pm On Nov 25, 2015
If I were you I will take the two. lecturers have ample time so you can easily adopt a flexible working arrangement and also government jobs have better job security. The multinational job on the other hand will give you the much needed skills and exposure to boost your cv and also the pay is usually better . If you find a way to combine the two it will boost your career prospects exponentially and also give you the much needed financial strength to weather the harsh economic reality of Nigeria
Re: Between A Multi National And Lecturing Job by Sagamite(m): 12:30pm On Nov 25, 2015
Abyam:

You are considering working for fuuktards?

You are the same person that has lost your job before and suffered, and you are considering working for a company run by fuuktards?

A company took 2 years to invite you for final interview and offer you a job and you still want to work for them while you have an option?

Abegi!

Send them a rejection letter and ensure you tell them they are all fuuktards!

The only reason you should not take the lecturing job is if you think you would not be able to perform in it and rise up the rank.

At least the state jobs offer job security (although no salary security). Except a better and more professionally run company comes along, it is your best bet.

Don't go and work for a Baba Sala-run company.
Re: Between A Multi National And Lecturing Job by Sagamite(m): 12:32pm On Nov 25, 2015
tope24:
My 2 cents sir, take the multinational coy job then work at getting your Msc and PhD. This will equip you to become a better lecturer cos of the experience you will gets. Believe me if only some of our lecturers have relevant work experience in the department they function.

He would be working for a multinational company and at the same time be working to get a PhD, while also raising a family?

Did this make sense to you when you typed it?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Between A Multi National And Lecturing Job by Nobody: 12:42pm On Nov 25, 2015
Bro, i know lecturing is by passion. But most lecturers miss an opportunity. The opportunity of having an industrial experience. This affect them and the crop of students that passes through them. I know you dont want to be such. The best lecturers have had not only university experience, but diverse of experience. Go for the multinational.

in addition, your salary as a lecturer might not increase for the next three years. and as an assistant lecturer, i know for sure your slary cant be more than 130k. With your wife and two children, earning such salary is just like leaving in disguised poverty. To climb up lecturing job, u have to write papers upon papers etc which they don't guarantee you the needed promotion on time.

while u work in a company, u can get someone to do your research write ups for you which u can later use in 20 years when u want to come to lecturing. you might be given a professor or assistant professor. Killed two birds with one stone.

3 Likes

Re: Between A Multi National And Lecturing Job by decountof(m): 12:48pm On Nov 25, 2015
what does your wife think.......

1 Like

Re: Between A Multi National And Lecturing Job by Nobody: 12:49pm On Nov 25, 2015
Tobex4realTobex234:
Hello OP,

If you take the multinational job, by April you would have earned the same as working all through 2016 as the lecturer.
Also by the end of 2016 at the multinational job, you would still need to have spent 2 more years at the Assistant Lecturing Job to earn the same cash.

From an Analytics professional point of view, I would take the multinational job anytime, but once again it all depends on you.

Very good point,since he would be making 3X his lecturer salary, he can take the multi national company's offer and save 1/3 to 2/3 of his income for rainy days. So essentially he needs to live within his means like he would have done working as a lecturer and just save the remainder to fall back on incase of potential job loss!!!

1 Like

Re: Between A Multi National And Lecturing Job by jabojafa(m): 12:53pm On Nov 25, 2015
Craven:
If I understand you correctly, you are finding it difficult to choose between a job that offers good pay, lots of opportunities, and the chance to travel the world and meet new people, and a job that offers security but keeps you grounded. That isn't so hard, is it?

I have never found government jobs to be fascinating. If anything, I find them to be unadventurous and monotonous as you are going to keep doing the same thing until you've had enough. I find government jobs to be routine, and nothing bores faster than routine. But this is just me. You said you have always wanted to be a lecturer, and I feel that if it's your dream, you wouldn't find it boring.

However, a multinational job isn't such a bad thing. If it is job security you are worried about, I believe there are ways to ensure job security. Further your education, gather additional skills relevant to your work, and turn yourself into an asset; it is difficult for multinationals to lay off workers who have become assets rather than liabilities. Some multinationals will even pay for you to further your education and gain additional skills.

Government jobs might be secure; steady pay and all; but that's all you get from it. There's hardly anyone who cares if you're improving yourself or not. If there's a common characteristic among government workers, it's that some of them, if not most, are unenthusiastic about anything. As long as they're getting steady pay, they're fine. And I feel that's a boring environment to want to grow in.

But with multinationals come competition; everyone wants to be better at something. And there's no better motivation like competition; it gets you on your feet and compels you to give your all. And you will be recognized for doing so. There is also exposure and the opportunity to explore the world. And that's a great combination, don't you think?

If I were in your shoes, I'd pick the opportunity to work in a vibrant environment, improve myself, and gain exposure over anything else. Because let's be honest, that combination is what gets you places. Being grounded just keeps you in one place. And I'm not so sure I'd like to remain in one place because the pay is steady. That would be boring.

But this is just me. At the end of the day, you have to follow whatever it is you believe in, even if other people do not agree.
u seems to know alot abot jobs abeg help me answer these interview questions:

1. Describe yourself?
2. What steps are you taking these days
to upgrade your skills or learn new
ones?
3. Tell us about a time when you were
particularly effective on prioritizing
tasks and completing a project on
schedule?
4. What motivates you to work hard?
5. Why do you want this job?
6. Why should we hire you?
7. What are your greatest professional
strengths and what do you consider to
be your weaknesses?
8. Tell us about a challenge or conflict
you've faced at work, and how you dealt
with it?
9. Do you enjoy working with other
people?
Re: Between A Multi National And Lecturing Job by Meritocracy: 1:01pm On Nov 25, 2015
Op, please I will advice you to go for multinational instead of state lecturing job that will be delaying your salary for 3-4 month. I would have prefer lecturing if its a federal school. Best of luck.

1 Like

Re: Between A Multi National And Lecturing Job by HCF(m): 1:02pm On Nov 25, 2015
nervorum:

As young people we mostly think money, but thats a mistake. If you do what you love, money will come, eventually,your job would be like a vacation, you will not struggle.

Back to you..take the lecturing job because:

You have always longed to teach.

You just said what I had in mind!
Re: Between A Multi National And Lecturing Job by Springz(f): 1:06pm On Nov 25, 2015
The Multi-national job is better.
Re: Between A Multi National And Lecturing Job by jabojafa(m): 1:08pm On Nov 25, 2015
Eneze1:
I will advise that you select the Multinational company, I work with one and the exposure and opportunity is great, you will be entitled to family package and even sponsored education. Personally I find Government job boring and there seems to be no challenge or competition whatsover, working with Multinationals bring out the best in you but it's your decision to make.
i dey also look for dis kind MNC job o, so u fit do me a favour
Re: Between A Multi National And Lecturing Job by Nobody: 1:37pm On Nov 25, 2015
Few factors need to be put into consideration before choosing which job you'd settle for.

JOB SATISFACTION: The paycheck the multinational company would offer might be mouthwatering but would you derive job satisfaction? Likewise the lecturing job.

TIME: Which of these jobs might enable you spend a lot of quality time with your family and with yourself? Money can't replace the moments shared with your family and with yourself.

1 Like

Re: Between A Multi National And Lecturing Job by duerap: 1:38pm On Nov 25, 2015
Go make money man. Money answereth all things.
Re: Between A Multi National And Lecturing Job by Doaf: 2:03pm On Nov 25, 2015
I will start by asking you, what is your life purpose, what do you want to be remembered for, what is your future projection, How do you see life in your own definition? I believe these questions will guide you in taking the right step in this Junction of confusion. This two offers place before you how to certisfy your aspirations and longings in order to be a fulfill man in life. lecturing job may be boring, little pay, monotonous but I tell you, it gives you the luxury of time in order to maximize your potential and pursue your dream of becoming notable in the society if you are the type that maximize time. Many of my professor while in school makes triple of their monthly salary from consultancy fee and business they do. Many of them also tour the world and attend seminars fully funded. And they also get paid when they return it may
look small now but the future benefits are enormous.
No matter the amount of money you get from the multinational coy, you will have to reinvest it which you may not have the luxury of time to monitor. so loss is sure. REMEMBER you have been there before, only to be given another chance to make the right choice or never again. I don't know your age sir but this maybe the right time for you to fulfill that your long dream of becoming a lecturer. It's not always good seeing your junior as the Dean ND given you others just because you did not enter the system early. I know money may be tempting but consider the long term benefits. But do not despise the days of little beginning. I pray the Lord will guide your step toward the right place

1 Like

Re: Between A Multi National And Lecturing Job by Nobody: 2:17pm On Nov 25, 2015
Take the multinational job and fast forward your life.Don't forget that lecturers get sacked too and you're just an assistant lecturer.Taste the world,life is too short to work for the government.My advice: take the high paying job,make more money and invest for the future.
Re: Between A Multi National And Lecturing Job by Lescott7(m): 2:35pm On Nov 25, 2015
You love to be a lecturer but you are considering the money on the multinational coy. I would advise you to pick the lecturing because of the job security and the enough time you will have for yourself,only if you won't be thinking of the multinational coy but if u won't be able to overlook and stop thinking about the pay,go for the multinational.

1 Like

Re: Between A Multi National And Lecturing Job by MPEROR: 2:39pm On Nov 25, 2015
TAKE THE MONEY IT IS A NO BRAINER
Re: Between A Multi National And Lecturing Job by omot4real(m): 2:49pm On Nov 25, 2015
I'm in line with @tope ,but what if when u intend to come back to the academic and u can't get a in.but if u can work and plan for a better investment,its okay.only then with rest of mind can u chase ur true dream of becoing a lecturer

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Kogi State University Is Recruiting For Lecturers (Photos) / Coronation Merchant Bank Graduate Trainee Programme 2018 / What One Employee Taught Me About Hiring

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.