Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,536 members, 7,812,664 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 05:07 PM

Between A Multi National And Lecturing Job - Jobs/Vacancies (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Between A Multi National And Lecturing Job (20297 Views)

Latest National And International Jobs For Nigerian Graduates / Ontop Recession, I Land Multi National JOB Today / Can A 2.2 Graduate Get A Lecturing Job? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Between A Multi National And Lecturing Job by bigdoo: 2:51pm On Nov 25, 2015
I would advise you to follow your mind and choose any of the jobs which you have a greater passion for. My other advice for you and indeed anybody else is to get involved in a simple and easy way to earn very good daily income without any possibility to lose any money whatsoever. In that way, no matter what job you do or even if you have no job at all, you can invest just a little money in this business and start to earn money from the day you start, seven days a week, 365 day in a year. All you have to do is to follow the link: https://trafficmonsoon.com/?ref=frankjoe to set up your account without any cost or money/cash deposit and if you need further explanation, information or assistance, you can contact me by email at: frankjoe344@gmail.com.

I am currently working in the Middle East and I am very well paid as a professional. But with my side business, I am making a passive income that pays me a lot far more than my salary in the Middle East. If you want to contact me on my mobile phone in Saudi Arabia, then call me on: +966502816117 between 3.00 pm and 9.00 pm Nigerian time as I am busy with my work before 3.00 pm.
Don’t let this genuine opportunity pass you by and besides you have nothing to lose. I personally intend to stop working in about two years when I must have saved up millions of dollars to take care of me till I die and still leave enough for my family.

1 Like

Re: Between A Multi National And Lecturing Job by layinks60: 2:56pm On Nov 25, 2015
Abyam:
i love the multinational job, but a tot on how i ended with my former job makes me have a rethink.

My brother, there is nothing to rethink about, Just go for the multinational coy and you can use your monetary capability to enroll for your M.SC and Phd.. And if you wanna later become a lecturer it's not just going to be a lecturer but an experienced one of such.
Re: Between A Multi National And Lecturing Job by Nobody: 3:07pm On Nov 25, 2015
Mr. Please go for the multinational company. You have little dignity teaching in a University without a phd. Take the MNC job, get ur phd, you can then come back to lecturing if you want. You'll hv killed two birds with a stone that way.
Re: Between A Multi National And Lecturing Job by SmartProf(m): 3:10pm On Nov 25, 2015
We also hav to realise that as a first class research and result oriented lecturer, u could be an independent consultant to d bigest multinationals, and governments of d world and also hav research proposals in critical areas fully sponsored by multinationals, government and even some United Nations organisations...just be good at what u do, be it short term or long term and u will be in hot demand.

1 Like

Re: Between A Multi National And Lecturing Job by tigar007(m): 3:19pm On Nov 25, 2015
tope24:
My 2 cents sir, take the multinational coy job then work at getting your Msc and PhD. This will equip you to become a better lecturer cos of the experience you will gets. Believe me if only some of our lecturers have relevant work experience in the department they function.

Bro, I love that advice. We need people like you in Nigeria. Thumbs up
Re: Between A Multi National And Lecturing Job by informat101(f): 3:29pm On Nov 25, 2015
Lecturer keh...lecturing in nigeria is the more the less you see.do you knw how many lecturers are stuck in one place for years cos of badbelleism...see lecturing is not the way you see it.there are a lot of hazards like you been forced to join a cult or something.at UI do you knw hw many lecturers have been stuck for like 14years in lecturer 1 position all for one flimsy excuse or the other.I have never been a fan of lecturing in nigeria is way too vindictive.ask any family member who is a lecturer what they pass Through.Oga abeg pick multinational company were you would travel the world stop settling for local champion.in that lecturing before u get to travel abroad u go don reach senior lecturer for state univ sef na hw many of dem dey travel sef.
Re: Between A Multi National And Lecturing Job by MathsChic(f): 3:35pm On Nov 25, 2015
Take the multinational job. Work for two years. If u don't like it anymore, quit and apply for a lecturing job. You'll probably get it again, if you do it right.
Re: Between A Multi National And Lecturing Job by adexpa(m): 3:55pm On Nov 25, 2015
Abyam:
i love the multinational job, but a tot on how i ended with my former job makes me have a rethink.
dont eva be fear of past n stop taking step but count ur past n take bold step to correct d cause. I will prefer multinational cus it built ur career n make u go wide unlike lecturin dat will limit u to academic environment n not beyond prof.
Re: Between A Multi National And Lecturing Job by shineeye1: 4:30pm On Nov 25, 2015
NOTHING compares to a career job like lecturing. You seem to ne naturally cut out for That and i see You achieving job satisfaction which is the crown of any labour. Once beaten, You ought to ne twice shy. Fate seem to have served You sufficient notice to escape the pitfalls of career life. Do not ne dissuaded by deceitful glamours of life. Seize the golden opportunity of a steady, restful and reliable means of livelihood That best suite your Person. Life na per head o!
Re: Between A Multi National And Lecturing Job by gynny(f): 4:33pm On Nov 25, 2015
i'll advice you go for the multinational, if you are worried about downsizing, you could always start a business while still working with the multinational company. You could hire someone to manage it while you are away or even your wife. Go for it, no loss.
Re: Between A Multi National And Lecturing Job by MrDojo(m): 5:02pm On Nov 25, 2015
SmartProf:
We also hav to realise that as a first class research and result oriented lecturer, u could be an independent consultant to d bigest multinationals, and governments of d world and also hav research proposals in critical areas fully sponsored by multinationals, government and even some United Nations organisations...just be good at what u do, be it short term or long term and u will be in hot demand.

I like this..... wink
Re: Between A Multi National And Lecturing Job by banio: 5:05pm On Nov 25, 2015
Multinational job is cool. Lecturing is cool. Multinational gives U money and death threatening situations, U might be flying chopper every two weeks plus the chemicals U will inhale. That's if U are a field and offshore worker. Also Multinational job is like that of a soldier, U don't have time 4 ur family and loved ones.
Lecturing on the other side is good: U have less safety concerns, less money though U can still afford life's necessities.
IOC can pay U up to 6 digits while lecturing might pay a graduate assistant say #150K.
GOD will guide U brother.

1 Like

Re: Between A Multi National And Lecturing Job by stchinedu: 5:05pm On Nov 25, 2015
Abyam:

I need the money but i'm worried because where i was working 3 yrs ago i was well paid, things were moving smoothly but when the time came to downsize, it can take anybody
I think the answer to your question is in the above quoted...take more concentration on the bolded.
The Lord is your strength.
Re: Between A Multi National And Lecturing Job by mikolo80: 5:07pm On Nov 25, 2015
Abyam:
save the 2x salary for rainy day or invest it
Re: Between A Multi National And Lecturing Job by Neverquit(f): 5:21pm On Nov 25, 2015
Accept the job offer from the Multinational company.

You and your family should live on the salary of the govt job though. Save and invest the extra so even if you get fired, you will have a nice cushion to fall back on.

Abyam:
I'm married with 2 kids. I lost my job 3 years ago when my company was restructuring.
So I know how tough it is to be jobless especially with a family that is looking up to you for provision.

On the 15th Nov. God blessed my hustle and i got an offer from one of the high institution in my state as an assistant lecturer. I was very happy when i collected the offer, it rekindled my hope for the future because i have longed to become a lecturer since i was in school as it will give me opportunity to upgrade my certificates and to even study to Phd level with abundant of scholarships at their disposal.

But events took another turn this week when i was called by a coy i attended it's interview 2 years a go, they sent me an sms inviting me to come and meet their boss for final stage of the interview, to cut the story short....... i was offered another job with a mouth watery pay 3x the govt job, i'm to resume work on the 11th of January 2016.

My delimma now is to choose between a job with average pay(lecturing) while career growth is gradual or go for the money with opportunity to travel to other countries and a world class exposure.

Please Senior Men in the house advice me, i need the money but i'm worried because where i was working 3 yrs ago i was well paid, things were moving smoothly but when the time came to downsize, it can take anybody, matured advice gentlemen!
Re: Between A Multi National And Lecturing Job by tope24(m): 6:43pm On Nov 25, 2015
tigar007:

Bro, I love that advice. We need people like you in Nigeria. Thumbs up

Thanks bro . I'm trying to build a career in Marketing bearing in mind that I'm going back to class to teach generations to come
Re: Between A Multi National And Lecturing Job by Nobody: 10:32pm On Nov 25, 2015
Prayer is the master key.........
Re: Between A Multi National And Lecturing Job by bigerboy200: 12:37pm On Nov 26, 2015
Craven:
If I understand you correctly, you are finding it difficult to choose between a job that offers good pay, lots of opportunities, and the chance to travel the world and meet new people, and a job that offers security but keeps you grounded. That isn't so hard, is it?

I have never found government jobs to be fascinating. If anything, I find them to be unadventurous and monotonous as you are going to keep doing the same thing until you've had enough. I find government jobs to be routine, and nothing bores faster than routine. But this is just me. You said you have always wanted to be a lecturer, and I feel that if it's your dream, you wouldn't find it boring.

However, a multinational job isn't such a bad thing. If it is job security you are worried about, I believe there are ways to ensure job security. Further your education, gather additional skills relevant to your work, and turn yourself into an asset; it is difficult for multinationals to lay off workers who have become assets rather than liabilities. Some multinationals will even pay for you to further your education and gain additional skills.

Government jobs might be secure; steady pay and all; but that's all you get from it. There's hardly anyone who cares if you're improving yourself or not. If there's a common characteristic among government workers, it's that some of them, if not most, are unenthusiastic about anything. As long as they're getting steady pay, they're fine. And I feel that's a boring environment to want to grow in.

But with multinationals come competition; everyone wants to be better at something. And there's no better motivation like competition; it gets you on your feet and compels you to give your all. And you will be recognized for doing so. There is also exposure and the opportunity to explore the world. And that's a great combination, don't you think?

If I were in your shoes, I'd pick the opportunity to work in a vibrant environment, improve myself, and gain exposure over anything else. Because let's be honest, that combination is what gets you places. Being grounded just keeps you in one place. And I'm not so sure I'd like to remain in one place because the pay is steady. That would be boring.

But this is just me. At the end of the day, you have to follow whatever it is you believe in, even if other people do not agree.
Very Brilliant and educative response... but I would like to to put something across and I also believe d op will read this also...Not all Government Jobs tolerate laziness or lack of self development..If there is any Govt kind of Job that pushes one beyond his or her Comfort zone then it jes has to be the Higher institutions.( specifically the Universities and even research institutes.. )The will to improve is always there so as to be relevant in one's path..To get legitimate promotion from an assistant lecturer to a lecturer ii or to any other rank in d academic sector(e.g to a professor) has its own price,not only in time but also in the quality of research done within a particular period( which must be proven by number of research articles or journals) ,grants gotten from international bodies,collaborations with scientists( sorry I am being specific about science area of interest) home and abroad, fellowships gotten and so on and so forth..all these can't and won't be achieved by a lazy person or a person without d zeal to "self improve".. presently I hav two friends who thru TETFUND are already running their phd programme in the U.S,this is just one of d numerous benefits that one can derive from working in a Govt Higher Institution asides the stability which u hav rightly mentioned..Everything thing in life,everything we wanna achieve in life is a matter of Choice.. Thanks... #pardon my typo..

2 Likes

Re: Between A Multi National And Lecturing Job by cutextowsen(f): 2:16pm On Nov 26, 2015
toofine765:
Nine years ago I had two job offers. One with a bank and another with the federal capital territory. Because the bank offered to pay more, I let go the FCDA offer. Today I am still with the bank but will do anything to go back to the Fed Govt job I once abandoned. Multinationals pay well but they come with headaches and challenges. If you ask me, please pursue your dream job and have peace of mind

I just had to comment on this one! Mr Man what advise are you seeking from nairaland(Job section) where most commenters here are job seekers, hence they may mislead you to take the multinational company with better pay. personally, I will go for the Govt Job as it afford you the opportunity to follow your dream while also giving you time to start up your own Business( Note that you still have a long way to go with 2 kids) Sometimes, money should not be the determining factor when making choices as regards employment. think of security/Once biten twice shy. Grab the Government job now before I vex(Sorry for the pidgin, was only emphasizing how angry I am at your indecision). Greater Heights

2 Likes

Re: Between A Multi National And Lecturing Job by wristbangle: 3:02pm On Nov 26, 2015
Craven:
If I understand you correctly, you are finding it difficult to choose between a job that offers good pay, lots of opportunities, and the chance to travel the world and meet new people, and a job that offers security but keeps you grounded. That isn't so hard, is it?

I have never found government jobs to be fascinating. If anything, I find them to be unadventurous and monotonous as you are going to keep doing the same thing until you've had enough. I find government jobs to be routine, and nothing bores faster than routine. But this is just me. You said you have always wanted to be a lecturer, and I feel that if it's your dream, you wouldn't find it boring.

However, a multinational job isn't such a bad thing. If it is job security you are worried about, I believe there are ways to ensure job security. Further your education, gather additional skills relevant to your work, and turn yourself into an asset; it is difficult for multinationals to lay off workers who have become assets rather than liabilities. Some multinationals will even pay for you to further your education and gain additional skills.

Government jobs might be secure; steady pay and all; but that's all you get from it. There's hardly anyone who cares if you're improving yourself or not. If there's a common characteristic among government workers, it's that some of them, if not most, are unenthusiastic about anything. As long as they're getting steady pay, they're fine. And I feel that's a boring environment to want to grow in.

But with multinationals come competition; everyone wants to be better at something. And there's no better motivation like competition; it gets you on your feet and compels you to give your all. And you will be recognized for doing so. There is also exposure and the opportunity to explore the world. And that's a great combination, don't you think?

If I were in your shoes, I'd pick the opportunity to work in a vibrant environment, improve myself, and gain exposure over anything else. Because let's be honest, that combination is what gets you places. Being grounded just keeps you in one place. And I'm not so sure I'd like to remain in one place because the pay is steady. That would be boring.

But this is just me. At the end of the day, you have to follow whatever it is you believe in, even if other people do not agree.

Awwww! Lovely reply
Re: Between A Multi National And Lecturing Job by tigar007(m): 1:34pm On Dec 01, 2015
tope24:

Thanks bro . I'm trying to build a career in Marketing bearing in mind that I'm going back to class to teach generations to come

That's it bro. I'm trying to build mine in academics. I just graduated last month at 19 and I feel like taking another course albeit not related. Where did you school and your discipline?
Re: Between A Multi National And Lecturing Job by tope24(m): 10:48pm On Dec 01, 2015
tigar007:

That's it bro. I'm trying to build mine in academics. I just graduated last month at 19 and I feel like taking another course albeit not related. Where did you school and your discipline?

I studied marketing at Lasu.
Re: Between A Multi National And Lecturing Job by Busybody2(f): 12:09pm On Dec 02, 2015
Abyam:

I love saving, saving for rainy days and being prudent...so my lil advice is tailored to such...also especially because of your past experience with job instability...So assuming your proposed salary is N130,000pcm/per calendar month:

With the lecturing job, you would be stuck in a rut until you acquire your PHD which I believe takes 3 years on average in Nigeria. If you set aside 1/3rd of your salary estimated above, you would have saved N260,000 in 6 months///N520,000 in a year///N1,040,000 in two years///N2,080,000 in three years///etc...

With the Multinational company, and on an assumed salary three times in line with the aforementioned figure above, your monthly take home will be N390,000pcm, open 3 further bank account (paying attention to the current market volatility and banks likely to buckle under) save 2/3rd of this increment (N260,000pcm) in two fixed deposit account, leaving a balance of N130,000. Again, set aside 1/3rd of this and deposit into the 3rd bank account for contingency purpose. With the first two accounts, you would have saved N1,560,000 in 6 months///N3,120,000 in one year///N6,240,000 in two years///N12,480,000 in three years///etc. This you can invest in business or whatnot...

And
you still have the contingency fund in the 3rd account which will grow to N260,000 in six months///N520,000 in a year...as well as N86,667 monthly salary to live on...

And above all you have Almighty God. It is well.

One of the most valuable career advise I got from an ex-lecturer/retired lecturer, when I was 18 years old and all I dreamt about all my life was being a Teacher/Lecturer, was to - "do something useful whilst young and do what you enjoy and follow your passion when old, and that Education is majorly a "financial" investment we dabble into to make a profit in future...

2 Likes

Re: Between A Multi National And Lecturing Job by McTobe(m): 11:48pm On Oct 10, 2019
Please sir, I am contacting you for clarification. What is the age limit beyond which one cannot be employed as a lecturer but only as a contract or adjunct lecturer in Nigerian Universities?
Mayflowa:
It is easier to leave a multinational job to academics than the reverse. The benefit of consulting comes mostly from job experience and contacts. I am a senior academics too but I will advise he goes to experience his discipline in the real world first before turning into academics. That way, he would be able to impart knowledge, consult and earn more.

The easiest gateway to academics is PhD certificate. This he can acquire alongside his multinational job on weekends or online. So the lecturing job is waiting for him if you planned well. However, some institutions will offer him leave of absence up to five years without pay if he applies to the Vice Chancellor that he is going for a job training and would be coming back to apply the knowledge gained for research and academics. He should check with the labour and training office division in his school for advice. He shouldn't present it like a permanent job anyway. That way, he could come back if he became tired of the multinational job.
Re: Between A Multi National And Lecturing Job by Mayflowa(m): 9:57am On Oct 11, 2019
McTobe:
Please sir, I am contacting you for clarification. What is the age limit beyond which one cannot be employed as a lecturer but only as a contract or adjunct lecturer in Nigerian Universities?

No age limit in professorial consideration. Once you have a doctoral degree with research publication, you can join any university at any age. However, the retirement age as a professor is 70 years while other academic positions is 65 years
Re: Between A Multi National And Lecturing Job by iamclime(m): 1:18pm On Oct 11, 2019
So, Op, how did it end? What did you choose? And how has it been? I'm interested in the outcome.
cc: Abyam
Re: Between A Multi National And Lecturing Job by McTobe(m): 2:02pm On Oct 14, 2019
Thank you Sir, but I heard that once you are past 45years that you will be employed as a contract staff and may not make it as a professor since that position is for regular academic staff as against contract staff. Can you help to clarify for me?
Mayflowa:

No age limit in professorial consideration. Once you have a doctoral degree with research publication, you can join any university at any age. However, the retirement age as a professor is 70 years while other academic positions is 65 years

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Kogi State University Is Recruiting For Lecturers (Photos) / Coronation Merchant Bank Graduate Trainee Programme 2018 / What One Employee Taught Me About Hiring

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.