Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,109 members, 7,814,893 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:16 PM

How To Earn People's Respect - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How To Earn People's Respect (1803 Views)

How To Earn The Respect Of Your Employer / Crippled Man "Big Dreams" Makes Shoes In Benue To Earn A Living (Photos) / Is It Possible For OND Holder To Earn Upto 80k Per Month? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Earn People's Respect by Emasky4real(m): 8:03am On Nov 25, 2015
Have you ever wonder why you esteem some persons so high but have no iota of respect for some other category of people? Having respect for people has nothing to do with age, sex, money, power or what have you. People are naturally respected when they live in a certain way.

I have observed that there are two basic ways you can make people to respect you. One is by forcing people to respect you through the use of your power or authority. You can achieve this if you are in a higher position. You try to dominate and exercise your power by forcing people who are less powerful to behave in a certain way. Your subordinates say yes sir/ma and tremble when you are around them because of your choleric nature, and fear of being hurt by you. When you are around, they may behave like you are a hero, but in their true mind, you are a big idiot. You can never buy respect with your position, power, influence or money. True respect must be earned.

The second way of getting people to respect you is through your lifestyle. People respect you because you live in a certain way. This type of respect comes naturally and it is earned true your good works. It is this kind of respect Jesus talked about when he says “let your light be so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your father which is in heaven.” The ways to earn this kind of respect is the object of this article, and I am sure it is going to be of help to you.

Living in a certain way has been shown to be effective when you want to earn people’s respect, and in my observation, by imbibing the following, you will naturally secure the respect of everyone around you, it doesn’t matter whether you are young or old, Poor or rich, handsome or ugly, tall or short. By doing these things, you will begin to command people’s respect. It has worked for thousands of persons, and it will work for you too.

1. SHOW LOVE TO OTHERS: To earn people’s respect, you must show them love. Love is an action word, and the proof of it is in what you give. When you show care for people and do things that reflect you love for them, they become naturally drawn to you. They will love you in return and esteem you high. You show love to people by being of help to them in difficult times. How do you react to people around you when they are hungry, have no cloth to wear, sick or in need of money? Do you just pity them, and tell them God will come to their aid, and move on without taking any practical step that will help to alleviate their condition? If you refuse to help, life goes on of course, but they will always remember your reaction to them in time of need, and that will be the basis of their own reaction to you. In life it is what you sow that you will reap. When you show love to people who are less privileged than you, you have automatically activated their respect for you. They will love you in return, esteem you high and show you great respect.

2. LIVE ACCORDING TO THE GOLDEN RULE: The golden rule says ‘’do unto others as you want others to do to you.’’ As individuals, we naturally desire that people show us love, care, and respect. Whatever you want people to do to you, do it to them. You dictate in advance how you want people to treat you by the way you treat them. If you are rude, impatient, impolite to people, then don’t expect the opposite, because for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. Respect begets respect.

3. BE A PERSON OF YOUR WORD: One of the ways of making people to respect you is by being a person of your word. Be predictable. Let people be able to rely on what you say. These can only be achieved by being truthful and fulfilling your promises to people. When you come to that point in life where your yea is yea and nay is nay, then people have no choice but to respect you. In business and leadership, there is no way you can command people’s respect if you fail in this aspect.

4. DO NOT BE A LIABILITY TO PEOPLE: Do you want to earn people’s respect? Then cease being a liability to the people around you. When you are of the habit of seeking favour and help from others every now and then, then you are a liability. Nothing is bad about asking for help, and favour, but when it has degenerated to doing it all the time, and you not willing to take any responsibility for your life, then you are a liability. No one respect a person who disturbs them with their problem every time. For every favour you seek, you have sold some of your right and worth. Nothing is free in life. What you pay for being a liability is losing the respect you deserve from people. Instead of being a liability, choose to be an asset. Add value to yourself, be the one that people are coming to for help. By so doing you will turn the table in you favour.

5. LIVE A HUMBLE LIFE: If you are privileged to be an achiever and you choose to remain humble despite your achievement, people will definitely respect you for that. The norm for you as an achiever is to go about carrying your shoulder and telling the world you have arrived. When you do the opposite, people will be amazed and respect you for that.

6. BE A PERSON OF FEW WORDS: If you are a choleric or a sanguine this might be a little bit difficult for you, but I am sure we all have the capacity to control our tongue if we choose to. In the course of talking too much, you will likely make foolish statements that people would least expect from you, and as a result lose their respect. The book of proverbs says “even a fool is considered wise (respected) when he keeps quiet.”

In conclusion, always have it in mind that if people must respect you, you must earn it.

Written by Taiwo Emayosanlomo, Success coach and Personal development expert

Original Source: http://taiwoemayosan..com/2015/11/how-to-earn-peoples-respect.html

1 Like

Re: How To Earn People's Respect by Emasky4real(m): 8:04am On Nov 25, 2015
Feel free to add to the list.
Re: How To Earn People's Respect by Nobody: 8:18am On Nov 25, 2015
Show respect to others too

Today is my birthday nl, show some love to soft DemiG, just view ma profile, hit the like button grin

2 Likes

Re: How To Earn People's Respect by ademega(m): 8:18am On Nov 25, 2015
I love this. good write up
Re: How To Earn People's Respect by Emasky4real(m): 9:01am On Nov 25, 2015
Demigods:
Show respect to others too

Today is my birthday nl, show some love to soft DemiG, just view ma profile, hit the like button grin

Happy birthday to you.
Re: How To Earn People's Respect by Emasky4real(m): 9:02am On Nov 25, 2015
ademega:
I love this. good write up
I am glad you love it.
Re: How To Earn People's Respect by Nobody: 9:26am On Nov 25, 2015
Emasky4real:

Happy birthday to you.

Tnx bruh
Re: How To Earn People's Respect by Emasky4real(m): 2:18pm On Nov 25, 2015
You DICTATE in advance how you want people to TREAT you by the way you treat them.
Re: How To Earn People's Respect by proudofficial(m): 4:40pm On Nov 25, 2015
i love this post bro
Re: How To Earn People's Respect by Emasky4real(m): 5:34pm On Nov 25, 2015
proudofficial:
i love this post bro
I am glad you love it.

(1) (Reply)

Wealth Zone(make The Highest Returns On Your Investment). / What Motivate You To Perform Your Job Better? / NERC Career??

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.