Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,926 members, 7,835,090 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 03:44 AM

Reps To Probe National Housing Fund - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Reps To Probe National Housing Fund (356 Views)

Hav U Or Anyone U Know Successfully Obtained Loan From National Housing Fund / Buhari Probe: National Institute For Cultural Orientation (NICO) In SHAMBLES / Presidency Queries Why Yakasaai, Others Did Not Tell GEJ To Probe IBB, OBJ, (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Reps To Probe National Housing Fund by habusule: 9:21pm On Nov 25, 2015
From Fred Itua and Kemi Yesufu, Abuja

The House of Representatives yesterday moved to launch an investigation into the management and status of monies contributed to the National Housing Fund (NHF) by civil servants 23 years after its inception.
The lawmakers also held that individuals with contributions above 10 years should be allowed to withdraw their money and seek for alternative options to their housing needs due to the unrealistic status of the funds in the hands of government.
These resolutions followed a motion on the “Need to Investigate the Funds that have Accrued to the National Housing Fund since Inception”, brought by Johnson Odionwele (PDP, Edo).
The lawmaker, while leading debates on the matter, told the House that since subscription to the NHF commenced 23 years ago, nothing has been heard from the government as to how the funds are being managed and the status of monies so far contributed.
He said those charged with the management of the Fund have maintained a blind eye to the plight of civil servants, adding that most of these civil servants who subscribed to this fund have died leaving behind their entitlement.
“As we speak, 23 years after the establishment of the fund, there are no visible signs of the envisaged mass housing project or any known beneficiary of the scheme, yet the contributions have continued as deductions are still being made at source,” Odionwele said.
Contributing to the debate, Joseph Adelaja (PDP, Ondo), said: “I support this motion totally and I urge my colleagues to key into it that something must be done about this issue. It is time to call the attention of government as the peoples parliament that the rights of Nigerians must not be trampled upon.”
Darlington Nwokocha (PDP, Abia), stated that many people who have invested their money should reap the benefit of their investment. “So I’m in support that this Fund be investigated and those whose money had been taken should be made to benefit through government investment in the housing sector to reduce the huge housing deficit in the country.”
Another lawmaker from Edo State, Johnson Agbonayiemen, told his colleagues that the development must be looked into and examples made of those responsible for the management and delivery of the housing scheme for future reference.
“Mr. Speaker, for monies to be collected from Nigerians for 23 years and not been put to use for the benefit of the people is a total failure and unacceptable to this House.
I support this motion wholeheartedly because this motion stands to defend the people of this nation that those who rob others of their legitimate rights must be made to pay for their atrocities against the people,” he said.
Chike Okafor (APC, Imo), said: “From available records, we have about 6.7 million workers in Nigeria. These workers have contributed parts of their earnings to this housing fund. This amount has not been accessed by these people, and we must know what happened to this money over the years.
Chairman, House Committee on Media and Public Affairs, Abdulrazaq Namdas, however, said: “I just want to add that its like each time people want to do things to better their future, the state sabotages them. If I was a civil servant and I contribute to a fund for 23 years without knowing the fate of my money, then I wont be a happy man. So I urge this House to look into this matter and do justice accordingly.”
The motion was amended and passed via voice votes following question by Speaker, Yakubu Dogara.
Re: Reps To Probe National Housing Fund by habusule: 10:29pm On Nov 25, 2015
Buhari promise Nigerians that he will punish looters but under his noses, the management of FMBN is looting the contributors of workers daily . Time have come for Buhari to do something about the lootings going on in FMBN

(1) (Reply)

EFCC Arrests Niger Delta Amnesty Consultants / Rubbing It On Nigerian's Faces / Buhari Pledges $1m For Africa's Water Infrastructure

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.