Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,138 members, 7,814,981 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:37 AM

Disturbing Religious Selfishness (eroding Compassion) - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Disturbing Religious Selfishness (eroding Compassion) (3592 Views)

Money Ritual In Nigeria: Do You Have Any Evidence It Works? (Disturbing Photos) / Open Heavens Daily Devotional(thur. 07/12/2017) Eroding God’s Honour? / Christianity - The Perfection Of Narcissism, Selfishness And Apathy. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Disturbing Religious Selfishness (eroding Compassion) by johnydon22(m): 12:15am On Nov 30, 2015
Being in a religiously saturated society i couldn't help but notice the selfishness exhibited by people...

A man once had an accident and was rushed to the hospital, a woman rushed to the scene and seeing the car had a striking resemblance to her husband's car was tensed and afraid until she saw the man involved and realized it wasn't her husband.

She was beside me, she sighed and said "Oh thank God it's not my husband, accident is not our potion"

The question that came to my mind and i asked her was "Whose potion is it and is accident the potion of that man? Will his family also thank God for it and is your husband worth saving than him"

She gave me a glaring look and walked away. Imagine the selfishness, she doesn't care someone had an accident she is happy its not someone that concerns her. And this we see in everyday people.

This uncanny selfishness and inability to relate to the suffering of others i find to be a disturbing trait instilled into people by some religious doctrines. It is as wicked as it is disturbing for one to rejoice and give thanks to their God for the misfortunes of others.

This i saw in one thread opened in the religion section where someone emphasized that by logging into nairaland and seeing the number of victims of tragedies and bad circumstances you should be happy and give thanks to God

https://www.nairaland.com/2657619/why-u-should-thank-god

. . . https://www.nairaland.com/2770877/sad-watch-video-tell-me

for what?

Leaving them experience tragedy and not you?

you are more deserving than others?

Such ideas are not only disturbing, it is extremely selfish, wicked, evil and a detriment to fully exhibiting human compassion in the face of other people's misfortunes because you will be busy thanking God that it is not you..

Thanking God for saving you from misfortunes shows you think God determines who misfortunes befall or not, so you are more deserving to be saved and not the countless million others out there ..

I ask is it right to bank on the tragedies of others to celebrate our own good
fortunes?

Is it right to rejoice over the misfortunes of others because it led to us being promoted; like a testimony i listened to where a man said he got promoted in his office to his dream post when another of his colleagues got fired without cause, it was a happy turn of event for him and so he was rejoicing and so was the church with him.

and they all forgot someone was really crying for loosing his source of
livelihood.

Have watched many Christians pray for the wealth of others to be given to them, yet in the delusional superstition of unnecessary fear they will accuse others of hoarding their wealth in the spirit therefore branding some unsuspecting fellow a devil.

who among you two is the devil here...?

Isn't it enough to agree that in the wonderful random world of ours that evil and good keeps the balance. that misfortune and tragedies befall both good and bad persons alike, that none of us is more deserving than others.

By this we would be open to relate to the sufferings of others, to the pains of others, to the cries of others thereby letting our sense of human compassion reach out to those in these tragedies.

Why should people encourage others to swim in such delusive disturbing and overly selfish mindset as Thanking their respective God in the face of other people's misfortunes because it was not them

10 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Disturbing Religious Selfishness (eroding Compassion) by Eddlad: 12:58am On Nov 30, 2015
Kindly share how religion inspire this, I also wouldn't mind a scripture verse to support.

What would you have rather done or said and how did or how has atheism inspired it.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Disturbing Religious Selfishness (eroding Compassion) by Nobody: 5:11am On Nov 30, 2015
Eddlad:
Kindly share how religion inspire this, I also wouldn't mind a scripture verse to support.

What would you have rather done or said and how did or how has atheism inspired it.
do u have problems on reading and understanding?

where did he mention Bible?....

u are asking what would have been said or done?

so common sense will not tell u to symapatize with an afflicted person? but only thank god it isn't u?

10 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Disturbing Religious Selfishness (eroding Compassion) by ichommy(m): 5:34am On Nov 30, 2015
Nice post here @ jonny.tech.don Pardon me to share my experience with one of JW teacher yesterday. He asked me why i didn't give audience to Adaora again? (JW assigned to me) i said Sir, am not into religion again. He said huh, am into traditional stuffs. I replied NO. Am atheist now. I said Sir whats ya views on atheists? He said people that hates fellow humans abi? grin I laughed and explained what atheism is all about. He shouted Jehovah. And he said its a fool dat think god didn't exist. I said only if i can see d dude o den i will believe. He den gave me assignment to seek god face seriously. grin abeg no vex if my story bored U.

@ D post. Thank god its not my husband. So d man is not someone husband abi? Accident is the man portion. I won't be surprise if D accident man is a Pastor or a leader @ d Church.

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Disturbing Religious Selfishness (eroding Compassion) by bytemeister(m): 6:03am On Nov 30, 2015
This trend is so common among religious folks, THANKING GOD IN EVERY SITUATION YOU SEE YOURSELF simply connotes ANYTHING can HAPPEN to ANYBODY ANYTIME...I thought the purpose of a father figure is to guide and protect one so y'd I subject myself to some sky daddy who will not stop me from dying either by accident of sickness.Seriously I don’t know if God exists, but it would be better for His reputation if he doesn't

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Disturbing Religious Selfishness (eroding Compassion) by plaetton: 7:00am On Nov 30, 2015
krattoss:

so common sense will not tell u to symapatize with an afflicted person? but only thank god it isn't u?

Cognitive dissonance.
He is trying to avoid addressing the issue.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Disturbing Religious Selfishness (eroding Compassion) by plaetton: 7:09am On Nov 30, 2015
johnydon22:
[b]Being in a religiously saturated society i couldn't help but notice the selfishness exhibited by people...

A man once had an accident and was rushed to the hospital, a woman rushed to the scene and seeing the car had a striking resemblance to her husband's car was tensed and afraid until she saw the man involved and realized it wasn't her husband.

She was beside me, she sighed and said "Oh thank God it's not my husband, accident is not our potion"

The question that came to my mind and i asked her was "Whose potion is it and is accident the potion of that man? Will his family also thank God for it and is your husband worth saving than him"

She gave me a glaring look and walked away. Imagine the selfishness, she doesn't care someone had an accident she is happy its not someone that concerns her. And this we see in everyday people.

This uncanny selfishness and inability to relate to the suffering of others i find to be a disturbing trait instilled into people by some religious doctrines. It is as wicked as it is disturbing for one to rejoice and give thanks to their God for the misfortunes of others.

This i saw in one thread opened in the religion section where someone emphasized that by logging into nairaland and seeing the number of victims of tragedies and bad circumstances you should be happy and give thanks to God . . . https://www.nairaland.com/2770877/sad-watch-video-tell-me

for what?

Leaving them experience tragedy and not you?

you are more deserving than others?

Such ideas are not only disturbing, it is extremely selfish, wicked, evil and a detriment to fully exhibiting human compassion in the face of other people's misfortunes because you will be busy thanking God that it is not you..

Thanking God for saving you from misfortunes shows you think God determines who misfortunes befall or not, so you are more deserving to be saved and not the countless million others out there ..

I ask is it right to bank on the tragedies of others to celebrate our own good
fortunes?

Is it right to rejoice over the misfortunes of others because it led to us being promoted; like a testimony i listened to where a man said he got promoted in his office to his dream post when another of his colleagues got fired without cause, it was a happy turn of event for him and so he was rejoicing and so was the church with him.

and they all forgot someone was really crying for loosing his source of
livelihood.

Have watched many Christians pray for the wealth of others to be given to them, yet in the delusional superstition of unnecessary fear they will accuse others of hoarding their wealth in the spirit therefore branding some unsuspecting fellow a devil.

who among you two is the devil here...?

Isn't it enough to agree that in the wonderful random world of ours that evil and good keeps the balance. that misfortune and tragedies befall both good and bad persons alike, that none of us is more deserving than others.

By this we would be open to relate to the sufferings of others, to the pains of others, to the cries of others thereby letting our sense of human compassion reach out to those in these tragedies.

Why should people encourage others to swim in such delusive disturbing and overly selfish mindset as Thanking their respective God in the face of other people's misfortunes because it was not them
[/b]

Great post johnnydon22.

This what I battle with Christians all the time.
But no matter how many times and in how many different ways I try to task their minds on this issue, they never seem to get it.

I have always said false and fraudulent religions seem to have very strong safe-lock mechanisms and other psychological redundancies that prevents them from thinking beyond some , often self-centered, parameters.

It amazes me that the religion founded in the name of Jesus has become the MOST selfish moral philosophy on earth.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Disturbing Religious Selfishness (eroding Compassion) by johnydon22(m): 7:35am On Nov 30, 2015
bytemeister:
This trend is so common among religious folks, THANKING GOD IN EVERY SITUATION YOU SEE YOURSELF simply connotes ANYTHING can HAPPEN to ANYBODY ANYTIME...I thought the purpose of a father figure is to guide and protect one so y'd I subject myself to some sky daddy who will not stop me from dying either by accident of sickness.Seriously I don’t know if God exists, but it would be better for His reputation if he doesn't
Just like was asked in the Paris Attack brouhaha..

"PRAY FOR PARIS" why should one pray to a God who did nothing to stop the attack in the first place..

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Disturbing Religious Selfishness (eroding Compassion) by bytemeister(m): 9:10am On Nov 30, 2015
johnydon22:
Just like was asked in the Paris Attack brouhaha..

"PRAY FOR PARIS" why should one pray to a God who did nothing to stop the attack in the first place..

seriously it's mind boggling. You see GULLIBILTY and CREDULITY are considered undesirable in every department of human life EXCEPT religion

7 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Disturbing Religious Selfishness (eroding Compassion) by Eddlad: 9:46am On Nov 30, 2015
krattoss:

He said religion, no specifics, if some are guilty of this he should have clarified.

Can you tell me how common sense Inspires sympathy? Common sense as you know it is as a result of other people's experience, ideas, knowledge and religious inclination. It doesn't stand on its own.

By atheism standards how does my lack of sympathy reflect poorly on me, sympathy never returned back the hands of time ever, or has it?.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Disturbing Religious Selfishness (eroding Compassion) by keenn: 9:54am On Nov 30, 2015
Testimonies in churches follows this trend, infactct, the more scary and gory ur reference is, the more it is believed u appreciate god for his protection.

Perhaps there is/was a god,but the way his worshipers go about praising him with reference to the ill or people with challanges of any sort is so ridiculous.

Right from childhood(then a church boy), when still been thought how to pray I can remember how uncomfortable I felt on getting to this part of thanks/worship.

Its so sad how indoctrination to this religion has altered simple common sense.

4 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Disturbing Religious Selfishness (eroding Compassion) by keenn: 10:10am On Nov 30, 2015
Eddlad:

He said religion, no specifics, if some are guilty of this he should have clarified.

Can you tell me how common sense Inspires sympathy? Common sense as you know it is as a result of other people's experience, ideas, knowledge and religious inclination. It doesn't stand on its own.

By atheism standards how does my lack of sympathy reflect poorly on me, sympathy never returned back the hands of time ever, or has it?.

Nigga, u got it all twisted

According to wiki, 'common sense is a basic ability to perceive, understand, and
judge things, which is shared by ("common to"wink nearly all people
and can reasonably be expected of nearly all people without any
need for debate'

There is no need for thought, aforementioned ideas, teaching...for a person to have common sense. It is basic and therefore intuitive.

A child doesn't need to read in a book or told to drop a hot iron, common sense should, and experiences similar is shared by all races irrespective of experience, ideas, knowledge and religious inclination as u wrongly stated, it is basic.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Disturbing Religious Selfishness (eroding Compassion) by Nobody: 11:31am On Nov 30, 2015
Eddlad:

hence thank god? undecided
Re: Disturbing Religious Selfishness (eroding Compassion) by Eddlad: 11:34am On Nov 30, 2015
keenn:

Nigga, u got it all twisted

According to wiki, 'common sense is a basic ability to perceive, understand, and
judge things, which is shared by ("common to"wink nearly all people
and can reasonably be expected of nearly all people without any
need for debate'

There is no need for thought, aforementioned ideas, teaching...for a person to have common sense. It is basic and therefore intuitive.

A child doesn't need to read in a book or told to drop a hot iron, common sense should, and experiences similar is shared by all races irrespective of experience, ideas, knowledge and religious inclination as u wrongly stated, it is basic.

......Let me start again, but with a different twist,what does one gain by applying common sense?
Re: Disturbing Religious Selfishness (eroding Compassion) by Eddlad: 11:40am On Nov 30, 2015
krattoss:
hence thank god? undecided

The error lies in the Op's writing, I merely sought to point out that religion doesn't make sadists(for lack of a better word) out of people, people can be that on their own without being strong-armed or coached.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Disturbing Religious Selfishness (eroding Compassion) by plaetton: 11:51am On Nov 30, 2015
I heard of a wharf rat who went to church to give thanks and testimony on how he came across an unlocked container full of goods, and therefore help himself as part of gods blessings for him.
Naturally, everyone shouted "praise the lord".

Or you hear of people who would not drop a penny for relatives, friends or neighbors, but would rather use money to sow the so-called seeds in church, from which they selfishly hope to reap where they didn't not sow.

Have you ever noticed that death announcements are not made at Redeemed and most Pentecostal churches ?

Death is bad PR for both the imaginary god and his fraudulent financial ministers.

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Disturbing Religious Selfishness (eroding Compassion) by hahn(m): 12:19pm On Nov 30, 2015
Eddlad:

......Let me start again, but with a different twist,what does one gain by applying common sense?

shocked

With common sense you can get more understanding of the world and empathy to people around you. Common sense should tell you not to put your hands in fire for too long just as it should allow you put yourself in other people's shoes thus producing sympathy.

Op, the reality is that in this game we call life in order to get to the top you must step on someone head at the bottom. The fact that we are naturally selfish is one that most humans tend to want to act like it is not true about us. Just as the eagle needs the chick for survival, the rich man needs the poor man to survive and so on. Religion offers it's practitioners the opportunity to blame their own selfish desires on the "will of god" just to make them seem more humane.

Our lack of empathy in Nigeria is majorly as a result of such religious mirages as well as a non functional system. If the woman on your story could call "911" and request for an ambulance for instance, she probably would have done so. But then, such doesn't exist in Nigeria and when you report such a case to the police you might end up getting arrested and into a lot of trouble.

We are really at a quagmire in this country and everyone is simply trying to watch out for their own head

dearpreye might have something to say about this

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Disturbing Religious Selfishness (eroding Compassion) by Nobody: 12:22pm On Nov 30, 2015
bytemeister:

seriously it's mind boggling. You see GULLIBILTY and CREDULITY are considered undesirable in every department of human life EXCEPT religion

I tmay be mind-boggling for you but for the devout faithful.. it is Divine Wisdom and Infallible Judgement only GOD can fathom.. we are nowhere near God's Infinite Wisdom to disagree with it.. we must accept it in good faith.. perhaps if they did not die, some other victims elsewhere will. that is Christian Logic for you

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Disturbing Religious Selfishness (eroding Compassion) by plaetton: 12:41pm On Nov 30, 2015
Eddlad:

The error lies in the Op's writing, I merely sought to point out that religion doesn't make sadists(for lack of a better word) out of people, people can be that on their own without being strong-armed or coached.

I beg to differ sir.

Biologically and psychologically, religion and faith emanate from the most primitive part of our brains,..the part where our basest and most primordial instincts reside.
This is where selfish, fearful beast resides.
It defines reality in extremely narrow, self-centered terms.

This is no wonder that religion , superstition, oppression, violence and war go hand in hand.

In my own life, far too many times I have seen decent people become narrow minded, hateful, fearful, superstitious and selfish , the deeper they go into religion and faith.

8 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Disturbing Religious Selfishness (eroding Compassion) by CoolUsername: 12:49pm On Nov 30, 2015
voltron:

I tmay be mind-boggling for you but for the devout faithful.. it is Divine Wisdom and Infallible Judgement only GOD can fathom.. we are nowhere near God's Infinite Wisdom to disagree with it.. we must accept it in good faith.. perhaps if they did not die, some other victims elsewhere will. that is Christian Logic for you
But who needs gods when we have the Defender of the Universe right here on nairaland, amirite?

1 Like

Re: Disturbing Religious Selfishness (eroding Compassion) by Nobody: 12:50pm On Nov 30, 2015
Christianity doesn't change people from who they are; the compassionate ones like me; will always be; and try helping pople (dat has been my person).. the uncompassionate ones, will rather thank God their neighbour suffered a bad fate, perhaps becausE they had a quarrel... it takes Extra grace for true Christianity to reflect in people's life...

But I think u should know; Christianity doesn't teach dat; most people abuse the faith..
Jesus thought us to Love; and that is our greatest gift.... but even in church this greatest gift christ promised I grossly lacking...

1 Like

Re: Disturbing Religious Selfishness (eroding Compassion) by Nobody: 12:50pm On Nov 30, 2015
plaetton:

I beg to differ sir.

Biologically and psychologically, religion and faith emanate from the most primitive part of our brains,..the part where our basest and most primordial instincts reside.
This is where selfish, fearful beast resides.
It defines reality in extremely narrow, self-centered terms.

This is no wonder that religion , superstition, oppression, violence and war go hand in hand.

In my own life, far too many times I have see decent people become narrow minded, hateful, fearful, superstitious and selfish , the deeper they go into religion and faith.
What's this part of the brain called?
Re: Disturbing Religious Selfishness (eroding Compassion) by tartar9(m): 12:58pm On Nov 30, 2015
that's xtianity for you SMH
Re: Disturbing Religious Selfishness (eroding Compassion) by hahn(m): 1:14pm On Nov 30, 2015
tartar9:
that's xtianity for you SMH

No carry your own come o grin

1 Like

Re: Disturbing Religious Selfishness (eroding Compassion) by Scholar8200(m): 2:33pm On Nov 30, 2015
Every system of belief (+Christianity) has its own set of fanatics. It will be wrong to assess any religion based on the actions of a relative few. (It is common knowledge that many come to church these days not because they want to serve God but because they want protection/prosperity and this is one of the major contributions to the state of things today.)

If , for example, 1 out of 12 are as covetous as Judas Iscariot, then it will be wrong to judge a group of 12000 as being covetous simply because we met about 1000 who were covetous! Besides, this write-up, either deliberately or inadvertently, overlooks the compassionate deeds of people who practise religion today and rather focuses the omission of others!

First we should ask, " what teachings/doctrines do they believe?" and we dont hang on one or two but we look at the whole picture. Secondly, we should ask, "who is/was the key person and how did such live?" and finally, " does this system of believe have /or has ever had genuine followers and were they like the ones we are condemning?"

P.S. As regards God not doing anything for Paris, let's also ask:
1. Why did God not do anything when Nebuchadnezzar overran Israel destroying the Temple of God too and killing ruthlessly?
2. Why did God not do anything when the Philistines destroyed Israel and captured the Ark?
3. Why did God not do anything when Jesus was arrested, scourged, and crucified?
4. Why did God not do anything when Stephen was stoned to death and other disciples were martyred?
5. Why did God not do anything when General Titus in Ad70 destroyed Jerusalem?
(bear in mind that the victims in no 1-2 where descendants of God's friend, Abraham)

Once you answer these sans prejudice (and there are answers too), you would have the answer to the Paris and indeed the world question. Until then, that question on Paris is similar to the Pharisees telling Jesus: "He saved others Himself HE cannot save"

Your concept of God (Ironically for an atheist) paints a picture of a lawless, indulgent grand father whose job is to leave us to make our choices but show up to deny us of their consequences if -ve! And when he fails to do this he does not exist!!!

1 Like

Re: Disturbing Religious Selfishness (eroding Compassion) by dorox(m): 3:20pm On Nov 30, 2015
Raymondenyi:
Christianity doesn't change people from who they are; the compassionate ones like me; will always be; and try helping pople (dat has been my person).. the uncompassionate ones, will rather thank God their neighbour suffered a bad fate, perhaps becausE they had a quarrel... it takes Extra grace for true Christianity to reflect in people's life...

But I think u should know; Christianity doesn't teach dat; most people abuse the faith..
Jesus thought us to Love; and that is our greatest gift.... but even in church this greatest gift christ promised I grossly lacking...

Christianity like any other religion or ideology that attempts to set standard of how our lives should be regulated has the potential to change people. That is why it is very important for ideas especially those born out of religious beliefs to be examined and subjected to criticism in areas where they are found wanting.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Disturbing Religious Selfishness (eroding Compassion) by Nobody: 3:39pm On Nov 30, 2015
All through the ages religion has always consisted of two parts, the priests and pastors who get rich on the offerings of the poor on the one hand, and the poor who simply get poorer on the other. Everything else in between is simply a waste of effing time.

I said it before and i'll say it again, all religions are lies, they do not change you.

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Disturbing Religious Selfishness (eroding Compassion) by dorox(m): 3:39pm On Nov 30, 2015
You can imagine how disgusted I felt some years ago when a neighbour friend of mine said to me; "thank God. I thought it was you". She had come to express her condolence to other members of my family thinking it was I that died in a car crash and not my brother.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Disturbing Religious Selfishness (eroding Compassion) by hahn(m): 3:59pm On Nov 30, 2015
dorox:
You can imagine how disgusted I felt some years ago when a neighbour friend of mine said to me; "thank God. I thought it was you". She had come to express her condolence other members of my family thinking it was I that died in a car crash and not my brother.

Talk about awkward undecided

1 Like

Re: Disturbing Religious Selfishness (eroding Compassion) by dorox(m): 5:28pm On Nov 30, 2015
plaetton:

Great post johnnydon22.

This what I battle with Christians all the time.
But no matter how many times and in how many different ways I try to task their minds on this issue, they never seem to get it.

I have always said false and fraudulent religions seem to have very strong safe-lock mechanisms and other psychological redundancies that prevents them from thinking beyond some , often self-centered, parameters.

It amazes me that the religion founded in the name of Jesus has become the MOST selfish moral philosophy on earth.
I disagree with your opening statement since I am a christian and I get it. But I do understand where you are coming from and would instead have said that for a few exceptions, christians don't get it. Which would have been a more accurate statement but nonetheless depressing.
When I was child of age eight the song "some have food but cannot eat" always made me sad whenever it was being sang.Though I felt there was something wrong with the song, I wasn't quite sure what it was until years later when i heard some children happily singing it before a meal that I realised that the song was inspired by pure evil that promotes selfishness instead of love that makes us more compassionate.

1 Like

Re: Disturbing Religious Selfishness (eroding Compassion) by keenn: 6:06pm On Nov 30, 2015
Scholar8200:
Every system of belief (+Christianity) has its own set of fanatics. It will be wrong to assess any religion based on the actions of a relative few. (It is common knowledge that many come to church these days not because they want to serve God but because they want protection/prosperity and this is one of the major contributions to the state of things today.)

If , for example, 1 out of 12 are as covetous as Judas Iscariot, then it will be wrong to judge a group of 12000 as being covetous simply because we met about 1000 who were covetous! Besides, this write-up, either deliberately or inadvertently, overlooks the compassionate deeds of people who practise religion today and rather focuses the omission of others!

First we should ask, " what teachings/doctrines do they believe?" and we dont hang on one or two but we look at the whole picture. Secondly, we should ask, "who is/was the key person and how did such live?" and finally, " does this system of believe have /or has ever had genuine followers and were they like the ones we are condemning?"

P.S. As regards God not doing anything for Paris, let's also ask:
1. Why did God not do anything when Nebuchadnezzar overran Israel destroying the Temple of God too and killing ruthlessly?
2. Why did God not do anything when the Philistines destroyed Israel and captured the Ark?
3. Why did God not do anything when Jesus was arrested, scourged, and crucified?
4. Why did God not do anything when Stephen was stoned to death and other disciples were martyred?
5. Why did God not do anything when General Titus in Ad70 destroyed Jerusalem?
(bear in mind that the victims in no 1-2 where descendants of God's friend, Abraham)

Once you answer these sans prejudice (and there are answers too), you would have the answer to the Paris and indeed the world question. Until then, that question on Paris is similar to the Pharisees telling Jesus: "He saved others Himself HE cannot save"

Your concept of God (Ironically for an atheist) paints a picture of a lawless, indulgent grand father whose job is to leave us to make our choices but show up to deny us of their consequences if -ve! And when he fails to do this he does not exist!!!

Nigga, it seems you Christian guys hurry to forget that some, if not most atheist and agnostic alike were once religionist/Christians. You argue this out as if this (giving testimonies with reference to the unlucky) is a less occurrence in christaindom and is practiced by fanatics, geesss!

I am yet to see a church that encourages sharing of testimonies and the above claim is not practiced, am yet. I stand to be corrected.

The topic does not major on religionist been non-compationate (some religionist are best of people) but rather questions why praise should be giving to a god with reference to the ill or those with challenges.

As regards ur questions on the biblical account, well I can only assume that "the biblical god just proofed he can choose to save whom he chooses to save"

He is a loving god.

1 Like

Re: Disturbing Religious Selfishness (eroding Compassion) by Nobody: 6:27pm On Nov 30, 2015
hahn:

shocked

With common sense you can get more understanding of the world and empathy to people around you. Common sense should tell you not to put your hands in fire for too long just as it should allow you put yourself in other people's shoes thus producing sympathy.

Op, the reality is that in this game we call life in order to get to the top you must step on someone head at the bottom. The fact that we are naturally selfish is one that most humans tend to want to act like it is not true about us. Just as the eagle needs the chick for survival, the rich man needs the poor man to survive and so on. Religion offers it's practitioners the opportunity to blame their own selfish desires on the "will of god" just to make them seem more humane.

Our lack of empathy in Nigeria is majorly as a result of such religious mirages as well as a non functional system. If the woman on your story could call "911" and request for an ambulance for instance, she probably would have done so. But then, such doesn't exist in Nigeria and when you report such a case to the police you might end up getting arrested and into a lot of trouble.

We are really at a quagmire in this country and everyone is simply trying to watch out for their own head

dearpreye might have something to say about this

My boss, religion without commonsense is a threat to our collective happiness and joy. I could really recall when I was so deep into the abyss of mindless religion, but today I'm far above that torture and the more I become aware of myself the more sympathy I show towards the sufferings and misfortunes of others.
Today, I'm more connected with the sufferings and pains of others than when I was deeply religious and extremely selfish.

Most of us Christians have totally deviated from the teachings of Christ and have instead steeped into selfishness, hypocrisy and condemnation of others.

OP, I would have made the same comment as did the woman when I was a religious fanatic, when I used to believe bad things happen to others because they're less pious than me. But today, that kind of devilish mindset is totally strange to me.

4 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Man Visits Heaven And Meets God! / December Retreat 2013: Crossing Over to a New Inheritance / Prayer in private ( silent ) or Prayer in public ( loud ) prayer?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 108
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.