Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,756 members, 7,824,169 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:18 AM

SOS!!! Firstbank Firstmonie Fraud NOTICE - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / SOS!!! Firstbank Firstmonie Fraud NOTICE (4031 Views)

Firstbank Reacts To Rumours That Its Elephant May Swallow Customers Money / What Are The Benefits Of Becoming A Firstmonie Agent / Quickteller, Paga, Firstmonie Et All Under Threat From Cbn (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

SOS!!! Firstbank Firstmonie Fraud NOTICE by maga1: 4:50am On Dec 01, 2015
First of all, I know I made a mistake that I shouldn't have and I regret making such that's why I'm typing this information out here to prevent others from falling prey to these fraudsters and if I can possibly get an advice on the way forward.

Yesterday night (30/11/2915) I received a message from "FIRSTBAN'K" informing me of a possible breach to my firstmonie account and that a first contact agent will get in touch with me for a possible reset of device and pin. Shortly afterwards I received a call from 012919830 and the caller told me his name is Femi Tunde and we began chatting. He first of all informed me that my device may have been infected with a virus which reveals my phone details, contacts, password etc to some hackers and they probably have my details. He further informed me of a possible breach in my account that the hackers tried to make a transfer with my firstmonie account using a different device so he urged me to safeguard my device and possibly do a reset of my phone and visit the nearest FBN branch for reinstallation of my firstmonie app.

He now asked me if I tried to make a transfer at that moment of which I replied NO. He then told me that the hackers are trying to transfer a certain amount to another account. Lo and behold I saw a debit message from "FIRSTBAN'K" for a transfer of 100k (at this point I became afraid) he assured me that I shouldn't worry that he will reverse the transaction but the hacker will keep on making attempts till he finally transfers to another bank account and he won't be able to reverse such transaction (then became scared again) he told me not to worry that he will do all he could to stop the hackers. At this moment I picked my android phone and tried to check my balance with my firstmonie and all I can see was 0.00 as my balance (at this point I became very confused) I was a bit convinced that someone may have tampered with my account. All these happened while I was still talking to the guy. Immediately another debit transfer message entered my phone again 80k and he informed me that the guy is making another attempt.

Then he told me the only way we could block the hacker is for me to provide him with the first pin I used in activating my firstmonie (which of course I don't have because its been long I activated it) he then insisted that I have to give him the present pin so that he could block the guys device from accessing the account. I declined and told him I can't give him my pin details. After some while, he never insisted and he told me he understands but that's the only way he could block the hacker (but because of my fears I fell for him). I then asked him of some of my details to be sure if he is truly a first contact agent and to my utmost surprise he gave me the correct answers and then I succumbed and gave him the pin details. From then, i noticed a message from firstmonie with a code and he requested for the code on the message to finally block the guy and I foolishly gave him the code. Then I received a credit message from "FIRSTBAN'K" that a reversal has been done and he thanked me and told me he has finished blocking the guy and I should visit the nearest FBN branch for reinstallation of the firstmonie app and then we ended the call.

Immediately we ended the call, my mind was still in doubt of what has just occurred until I started receiving debit messages this time around from "Firstbank" until my account was wiped and cleaned. I rushed to the nearest ATM with a friend to check my bank balance and confirmed I have been fooled. They wiped everything leaving 1,400.

I later called the phone number and it wasn't reachable. Then I went online to get first bank contact and called them to informed them of what happened and they told me the incident will be investigated but I'm not guaranteed that I will get the value of money debited from my account.

My question is that is it possible for me to get even if its a part of what's stolen? Please I need advice from the house.

I am hereby typing this as early as possible to all concerned brothers and sisters to beware and not divulge any of their pin/password details to anyone.[code][/code]
Re: SOS!!! Firstbank Firstmonie Fraud NOTICE by erekoshe: 5:00am On Dec 01, 2015
You fell so cheap for this fraudster. Damn! The guy was wiping your account in bits. If you complained early enough to the bank, they can stop some amount. Follow up with them
Re: SOS!!! Firstbank Firstmonie Fraud NOTICE by stnkembu(m): 5:10am On Dec 01, 2015
These fraudsters at it again!
Visit the closest branch of your bank to register your complaint again. Then pray that the fund is still within reach.
Lesson: No bank will ever ask you of your Pin/Password.

1 Like

Re: SOS!!! Firstbank Firstmonie Fraud NOTICE by maga1: 5:10am On Dec 01, 2015
erekoshe:
You fell so cheap for this fraudster. Damn! The guy was wiping your account in bits. If you complained early enough to the bank, they can stop some amount. Follow up with them

I did notice only after everything has occurred and before I could contact First bank. Mind you, if you notice. The first debiting messages I got were fake and not from real Firstbank Thant's why they were written FIRSTBAN'K
Re: SOS!!! Firstbank Firstmonie Fraud NOTICE by erekoshe: 5:37am On Dec 01, 2015
maga1:

I did notice only after everything has occurred and before I could contact First bank. Mind you, if you notice. The first debiting messages I got were fake and not from real Firstbank Thant's why they were written FIRSTBAN'K

Let me play our possible scenarios.

You may have divulged your details via a phishing link.

The fraudster called u using details harvested earlier but require your pin to carry our transactions
He played you vuaing those fraudulent alerts
When you demanded for details, he have them handy
After receiving your pin, he wiped your account, in bits

First, have u changed the pin u divulged?
How soon did you contact first bank towards at least tracing the destination of ur funds and stopping them there before they get withdrawn?

Its festive season, these fraudsters have become desperate, your bank will always warn you never to divulge any pin or token to anybody even if it were the bank, so they always promise you that they'll never ask for such details.

If anybody, even if it were a relation or the bank itself ask for such things as password, pin or token- its definitely fraud.
Re: SOS!!! Firstbank Firstmonie Fraud NOTICE by Nobody: 5:48am On Dec 01, 2015
Guys, do take note pls. Dont let your hard earned money vamoose in seconds.
Re: SOS!!! Firstbank Firstmonie Fraud NOTICE by Infinitikoncept(m): 6:04am On Dec 01, 2015
The thing about Nigerians is that even the smartest get conned. Op the only part I don't get is you checked your account during the call and found out its zero, how is that possible?

1 Like

Re: SOS!!! Firstbank Firstmonie Fraud NOTICE by maga1: 6:13am On Dec 01, 2015
erekoshe:

Let me play our possible scenarios.

You may have divulged your details via a phishing link.

The fraudster called u using details harvested earlier but require your pin to carry our transactions
He played you vuaing those fraudulent alerts
When you demanded for details, he have them handy
After receiving your pin, he wiped your account, in bits

First, have u changed the pin u divulged?
How soon did you contact first bank towards at least tracing the destination of ur funds and stopping them there before they get withdrawn?

Its festive season, these fraudsters have become desperate, your bank will always warn you never to divulge any pin or token to anybody even if it were the bank, so they always promise you that they'll never ask for such details.

If anybody, even if it were a relation or the bank itself ask for such things as password, pin or token- its definitely fraud.

bros I have a feeling the person may have been an FBN staff or my account details must have been exposed to him somehow. He had my details before I gave him the pin. Although I contacted FBN almost immediately 20-30mins max after the incident because I had to go to the ATM to check first.
Re: SOS!!! Firstbank Firstmonie Fraud NOTICE by maga1: 6:16am On Dec 01, 2015
Infinitikoncept:
The thing about Nigerians is that even the smartest get conned. Op the only part I don't get is you checked your account during the call and found out its zero, how is that possible?

Thanks sir... Yes its possible, my mtn (main line) is inside a torch light Nokia while the firstmonie app is on the android phone.
Re: SOS!!! Firstbank Firstmonie Fraud NOTICE by maga1: 6:18am On Dec 01, 2015
PLANETMARS:
even my grand ma won't fall for this...............

I don't think we need you here ... I'm here to help others avoid my mistake. No one is above mistake especially the mood you may be when 419ers come knocking :/
Re: SOS!!! Firstbank Firstmonie Fraud NOTICE by PLANETMARS(m): 6:23am On Dec 01, 2015
maga1:

I don't think we need you here ... I'm here to help others avoid my mistake. No one is above mistake especially the mood you may be when 419ers come knocking :/
ur name says it all
Re: SOS!!! Firstbank Firstmonie Fraud NOTICE by Nobody: 6:36am On Dec 01, 2015
I don't think bank can refund your money. It's in their Terms of Service. They can't even charge the recipient for fraud. Only can place alert on recipient's account and report to police/EFCC. Btw you should file a report with EFCC...Sorry bro.

1 Like

Re: SOS!!! Firstbank Firstmonie Fraud NOTICE by maga1: 7:04am On Dec 01, 2015
chimze:
I don't think bank can refund your money. It's in their Terms of Service. They can't even charge the recipient for fraud. Only can place alert on recipient's account and report to police/EFCC. Btw you should file a report with EFCC...Sorry bro.
thanks man...maybe I will visit Efcc at least the guyz should be stopped

1 Like

Re: SOS!!! Firstbank Firstmonie Fraud NOTICE by Infinitikoncept(m): 7:16am On Dec 01, 2015
maga1:

Thanks sir... Yes its possible, my mtn (main line) is inside a torch light Nokia while the firstmonie app is on the android phone.
If your account had been zero at the time he was calling then it means your money has been withdrawn during the call before you dropped your ATM Pin
Re: SOS!!! Firstbank Firstmonie Fraud NOTICE by erekoshe: 7:22am On Dec 01, 2015
maga1:

bros I have a feeling the person may have been an FBN staff or my account details must have been exposed to him somehow. He had my details before I gave him the pin. Although I contacted FBN almost immediately 20-30mins max after the incident because I had to go to the ATM to check first.

Usually it's from compromised data, not staff. The way it happens, the fraudster send phishing email used to capture credentials.. The call is to harvest the pin/ token as he couldn't get it from anywhere.

A staff that can harvest ur data from the back end database can reset ur pin and use it to move money without contacting you. Besides, they'll contact people with the big money since they have all the details..

So its definitely not a staff.. You may have fallen for phishing before now..a week, a month ago etc.
Re: SOS!!! Firstbank Firstmonie Fraud NOTICE by erekoshe: 7:24am On Dec 01, 2015
But again, op, some pieces are missing in your story, I'm still trying to get the part you checked your account and it was zero since the money has not moved
Re: SOS!!! Firstbank Firstmonie Fraud NOTICE by maga1: 8:03am On Dec 01, 2015
erekoshe:
But again, op, some pieces are missing in your story, I'm still trying to get the part you checked your account and it was zero since the money has not moved

That's one of the thing that got me scared and fall prey in order for the guys to fix it. I can't phatom how they did that.
Re: SOS!!! Firstbank Firstmonie Fraud NOTICE by dhtglobal(m): 8:04am On Dec 01, 2015
erekoshe:

yeah. how?
Re: SOS!!! Firstbank Firstmonie Fraud NOTICE by demoreon: 9:53am On Dec 01, 2015
No worries brother... your money will be fully reversed. the account the money was transferred to must have been bvn enabled before any withdrawal can be made. go to your bank and they will track the person or whoever made the withdrawal. Thats one of the advantages of bvn implementation.
Re: SOS!!! Firstbank Firstmonie Fraud NOTICE by Nobody: 10:49am On Dec 01, 2015
demoreon:
No worries brother... your money will be fully reversed. the account the money was transferred to must have been bvn enabled before any withdrawal can be made. go to your bank and they will track the person or whoever made the withdrawal. Thats one of the advantages of bvn implementation.
shocked
Are you for real?

Re: SOS!!! Firstbank Firstmonie Fraud NOTICE by teemy(m): 2:05pm On Dec 01, 2015
erekoshe:

Usually it's from compromised data, not staff. The way it happens, the fraudster send phishing email used to capture credentials.. The call is to harvest the pin/ token as he couldn't get it from anywhere.

A staff that can harvest ur data from the back end database can reset ur pin and use it to move money without contacting you. Besides, they'll contact people with the big money since they have all the details..

So its definitely not a staff.. You may have fallen for phishing before now..a week, a month ago etc.
Hi, could you give an explanation on how his account balance read zero when he tried checking his balance. I guess a staff made an account wipe and reversal only to later claim error or a technical staff had a software patch installed on the bank's server that gave him zero balance when queried.

maga1 whoever had access view of your account from the bank's portal is the main suspect. If the bank is stonewalling have your lawyer supoena the bank's logs for whom it was that was monitoring your account at said time.
Re: SOS!!! Firstbank Firstmonie Fraud NOTICE by erekoshe: 2:55pm On Dec 01, 2015
teemy:

Hi, could you give an explanation on how his account balance read zero when he tried checking his balance. I guess a staff made an account wipe and reversal only to later claim error or a technical staff had a software patch installed on the bank's server that gave him zero balance when queried.

maga1 whoever had access view of your account from the bank's portal is the main suspect. If the bank is stonewalling have your lawyer supoena the bank's logs for whom it was that was monitoring your account at said time.

If someone wipe and reversal, it would be picked up by audit teams, devices and security rules etc and he'll get fired.. I don't know how audit work down there, but that's how it is everywhere.

If someone can do that, he can empty the bank, so that's not true.

A lot of pieces are missing in the OPs tale like I said earlier.. A staff of the bank can't just empty your account and fund it back... Even in insane climes, its not done. Whoever can do that from the bank can delete the entire bank data.

@teemy, sometimes don't say what you don't know, no lawyer Wil be stupid to defend you when you fall prey to a cheap 419. So if I call you that I'm Buhari and defraud you, what will you call Lawyers for? So a patch will empty accounts?

Abt the bank balance reading zero, its just not possible, the prices of the equation are not complete
Re: SOS!!! Firstbank Firstmonie Fraud NOTICE by teemy(m): 3:05pm On Dec 01, 2015
erekoshe:

If someone wipe and reversal, it would be picked up by audit teams, devices and security rules etc and he'll get fired.. I don't know how audit work down there, but that's how it is everywhere.

If someone can do that, he can empty the bank, so that's not true.

A lot of pieces are missing in the OPs tale like I said earlier.. A staff of the bank can't just empty your account and fund it back... Even in insane climes, its not done. Whoever can do that from the bank can delete the entire bank data.

@teemy, sometimes don't say what you don't know, no lawyer Wil be stupid to defend you when you fall prey to a cheap 419. So if I call you that I'm Buhari and defraud you, what will you call Lawyers for? So a patch will empty accounts?

Abt the bank balance reading zero, its just not possible, the prices of the equation are not complete
quite funny that it was today I chose to make a post of an access bank ATM transaction that did not end up with a withrawal only for the bank to claim their ledger confirms my being payed. Once myown back asked for video verification they have yet to respond for over about a month now. Banks for the sake of bad publicity cover their behinds as well as evidence that could lead to inhouse fraud.

A subpoena would make the OP maga1 conduct his own fact finding investigations rather than wait till eternity and be at the bank's disposal and mercy when his money could be used for better things within same time.

desperate times, desperate banks, desperate measures
Re: SOS!!! Firstbank Firstmonie Fraud NOTICE by Nobody: 9:14pm On Dec 01, 2015
Kindly reach First Bank on twitter @firstbankngr, they might be able to help. The earlier the better.

(1) (Reply)

Is Qnet Company A Scam ? Please Help Me / Youwin Results Are Out! / Starting Foodstuff Business Vs Frozen Foods Business, Which Is More Lucrative?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.