Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,863 members, 7,828,087 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 12:00 AM

Why Do Yorubas Remain The Most Peaceful Ethnics In Nigeria At Large - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Do Yorubas Remain The Most Peaceful Ethnics In Nigeria At Large (8226 Views)

Kebbi Is The Most Peaceful State In The History Of Nigeria – Gov. Okorocha / Which Ethnic Do You Love Among The Ethnics Group Of Nigeria? / Nigeria At 55 : The Most Stylish First Ladies Naija Ever Had (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Yorubas Remain The Most Peaceful Ethnics In Nigeria At Large by IamAtribalist: 10:20pm On Dec 03, 2015
cool I think that Yoruba culture eschew extremism. My dealings over the years with them show a people who have zero problem with religious differences. The average Yoruba person has no problem going to church on Sunday, then on Friday he goes to the Mosque and then maybe later in the week he pays a visit to Ifa. I heard somewhere that they even have a saying that means that 'no religion has a monopoly on God.' Igbos and Hausas on the other hand are religious extremists.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Yorubas Remain The Most Peaceful Ethnics In Nigeria At Large by omoelesa(m): 10:22pm On Dec 03, 2015
Yanks101:
keep telling yourself that.
That is one of the reason i want u people to have your biafra, why do u people like exporting crime to other region?

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Yorubas Remain The Most Peaceful Ethnics In Nigeria At Large by mayor20(m): 10:26pm On Dec 03, 2015
It is only in the south west that you will a church and a mosque sharing the same fence.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Yorubas Remain The Most Peaceful Ethnics In Nigeria At Large by pazienza(m): 10:28pm On Dec 03, 2015
Ayekotoo:

Console yourself well. Nothing and nobody makes up an Igbo state called Ebonyi with her stark illiterate indigenes

Well stats show that collectively, the rest of SE cover up whatever deficit Ebonyi might cause, we( Ndiigbo) are strong together, easily making up for each other's deficits, that was how we survived what Arewa-Oduanistanis threw at us in Biafra and post Biafra.
IGWEBUIKE!

See these stats to understand that despite the fact that Ebonyi figures were reduced, the rest of the SE served as buffer and came up with higher figures to ensure SE remains on top .

https://www.nairaland.com/237534/look-going-school-nigeria-statistics
: https://www.nairaland.com/2263635/south-east-south-west-south-south-lead-attainment

Let SE worry about Ebonyi, worry more about your SW, that is even now trailing not just SE but SS too.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Yorubas Remain The Most Peaceful Ethnics In Nigeria At Large by pazienza(m): 10:34pm On Dec 03, 2015
Ayekotoo:

I can tell you most crimes committed in southwest especially Lagos and Ogun are carried out by Igbos with the help the indigenes.

Lol, you believe what you want to believe.
But stats have it that SW is the crime capital of Nigeria, and this has nothing to do with Ndiigbo presence in Lagos, for if that be the case, then SE should with more than 90% Igbo population should be the crime capital, and not SW with lesser Igbo population.

You simply have no point.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Yorubas Remain The Most Peaceful Ethnics In Nigeria At Large by pazienza(m): 10:41pm On Dec 03, 2015
Ayekotoo:
If NECO and WAEC should use state of residence as the parameter for rating states performance instead of the state of origin, all southwestern states would come top.

N.b Igbos enjoy the Yorubas free basic education and higher institutions

Lol! The universities in Yorubaland Igbos attend are mostly federal institutions built and maintained with funds not originating from Yorubaland.

Yorubas should be grateful to Ndiigbo for patronizing those schools and helping in creating business within those school environment and in increasing funds generated by such schools.

In Biafra, we will try to prevent such Capital flight by building more good universities in the East and ensuring our people stay in the East to school, there by keeping their funds circulating within Biafra and preventing capital flights we are currently experiencing.

Universities are lucrative ventures these days.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Yorubas Remain The Most Peaceful Ethnics In Nigeria At Large by EMEKA1MILLION(m): 10:53pm On Dec 03, 2015
The truth is that the yorubas are wonderful people.. . I am igbo as u can see on my moniker but I grew up in Lagos... My lifestyle is very different, I am not a religious bigot, neither am I tribal sentimental. I find it hard to even bond with the people from my clan cos of the difference in ideology and respect.. Till today I still can't look my father directly in the eye when we talk, reason.? Cos I hold my elders in high esteem. The yorubas remain the best peaceful tribe in Nigeria closely followed by the hausa:S take away Boko Haram menace. But my igbo brothers... Smh

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Yorubas Remain The Most Peaceful Ethnics In Nigeria At Large by masseratti: 11:08pm On Dec 03, 2015
sweetguy26:
Because they are the tribe that benefits the most from this illegal arrangement called Nigeria.
can you please enlighten us on that, how please, I want to benefit too.
Re: Why Do Yorubas Remain The Most Peaceful Ethnics In Nigeria At Large by masseratti: 11:12pm On Dec 03, 2015
pazienza:

Lol! The universities in Yorubaland Igbos attend are mostly federal institutions built and maintained with funds not originating from Yorubaland.

Yorubas should be grateful to Ndiigbo for patronizing those schools and helping in creating business within those school environment and in increasing funds generated by such schools.

In Biafra, we will try to prevent such Capital flight by building more good universities in the East and ensuring our people stay in the East to school, there by keeping their funds circulating within Biafra and preventing capital flights we are currently experiencing.

please stop that, go to LASU,OOU,Igbos are more than 30% of the student population there,same as all other state own schools in the southwest, you will hardly find 10% Yorubas in state owned schools in the East, #fact.

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Yorubas Remain The Most Peaceful Ethnics In Nigeria At Large by princdebola201(m): 11:19pm On Dec 03, 2015
pazienza:

Shut ur dirty trapgrin ur flat head have compressed ur brain that u can't reason like a normal human being.

Go to Lasu, laspotech, Mapoly, e.t.c
Majority of igbos students in Lagos state attends LASU and LASPOTECH while others attend unilag

Go to all SW state primary school to secondary u will find ur born throway generations there with their Flat headscheesycheesy

8 Likes

Re: Why Do Yorubas Remain The Most Peaceful Ethnics In Nigeria At Large by zendy: 11:32pm On Dec 03, 2015
tundejoseph4:
I notice that Igbos and Hausas hated themselves with passion, infact they kill one another conveniently. But in the case of yorubas they both respect us. why this?

We Igbos respect Yorubas? This is news to me! When did we start this?
Re: Why Do Yorubas Remain The Most Peaceful Ethnics In Nigeria At Large by princdebola201(m): 11:33pm On Dec 03, 2015
The Main reason yorubas re the peaceful tribe in nigeria is their

1)exprerience of War, yorubas fought the longest inter-tribal war in Nigeria the Kuruji War. They have first hand exprerience of war,
Yoruba "No one witness the begin and End of War"

2) Culture, yoruba culture Lays more emphasis on Respect. Respect is a Resiprocal, if u respect ur self and give others repsect too there will less chaos

3)Tolerance - yoruba is the only tribe that practise 2 major religion in nigeria peacefully. Religious tolerance makes it easier for everybody to leave with eachother
Yorubas dominates christain line and also among front runners of islam in Nigeria

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Yorubas Remain The Most Peaceful Ethnics In Nigeria At Large by Nobody: 11:36pm On Dec 03, 2015

Re: Why Do Yorubas Remain The Most Peaceful Ethnics In Nigeria At Large by Nobody: 11:46pm On Dec 03, 2015
princdebola201:

Shut ur dirty trapgrin ur flat head have compressed ur brain that u can't reason like a normal human being.

Majority of igbos students in Lagos state attends LASU and LASPOTECH while others attend unilag

Go to all SW state primary school to secondary u will find ur born throway generations there with their Flat headscheesycheesy
Laugh one kill me i
Re: Why Do Yorubas Remain The Most Peaceful Ethnics In Nigeria At Large by Nobody: 11:48pm On Dec 03, 2015
imhotep:
i'm happy dat there is no other tribe on d planet in d inscriptions but crime exporter Igbos

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Yorubas Remain The Most Peaceful Ethnics In Nigeria At Large by Nobody: 11:50pm On Dec 03, 2015
Drchristian:

i'm happy dat there is no other tribe on d planet in d inscriptions but crime exporter Igbos
So you conclude that Yorubas are not peaceful LMAO
They are good pretenders

1 Like

Re: Why Do Yorubas Remain The Most Peaceful Ethnics In Nigeria At Large by Nobody: 11:51pm On Dec 03, 2015
zendy:

We Igbos respect Yorubas? This is news to me! When did we start this?
merely evading d land in large millions is a respect Education bussines in sw etc

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Yorubas Remain The Most Peaceful Ethnics In Nigeria At Large by Nobody: 11:53pm On Dec 03, 2015
imhotep:

So you conclude that Yorubas are not peaceful LMAO
They are good pretenders
Yorubas are peaceful 4 nw but dont knw d future. Yorubas fight and engaged themselves but ibos they will not touch them

1 Like

Re: Why Do Yorubas Remain The Most Peaceful Ethnics In Nigeria At Large by Nobody: 11:54pm On Dec 03, 2015
Drchristian:

Yorubas are peaceful 4 nw but dont knw d future. Yorubas fight and engaged themselves but ibos they will not touch them
Ok no wahala. LOL

1 Like

Re: Why Do Yorubas Remain The Most Peaceful Ethnics In Nigeria At Large by chukkiephil(m): 11:57pm On Dec 03, 2015
IdisuleOurOwn:

The reason why I do write his name (SegunAdewole) is for him to be notify.

SegunAdewole, come and defend yourself o! grin grin grin grin
Chai you just murdered English!! grin
Re: Why Do Yorubas Remain The Most Peaceful Ethnics In Nigeria At Large by pazienza(m): 11:57pm On Dec 03, 2015

1 Like

Re: Why Do Yorubas Remain The Most Peaceful Ethnics In Nigeria At Large by pazienza(m): 11:57pm On Dec 03, 2015
princdebola201:

Doesn't in anyway change these very facts.
: https://www.nairaland.com/2263635/south-east-south-west-south-south-lead-attainment cheesy cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: Why Do Yorubas Remain The Most Peaceful Ethnics In Nigeria At Large by OneNaira6: 12:00am On Dec 04, 2015
pazienza:
At OP, it depends on what you mean by Peace, Yorubaland has the highest rate of crime in Nigeria, the stats are out there, so if your definition of Yorubas being peaceful is their support for one Nigeria and demand for Biafrans blood be spilled for our attempt at establishing Biafra, then I might agree with you that Yorubas are " peaceful in that context.

Yorubas are comfortable with the current Nigerian arrangement, it is understandable why they are pro one Nigeria.

As for Ndiigbo, we know we can achieve more than we already have in Nigeria if we establish Biafra, and so will never rest until we get Biafra.

Ikechuku1254, please help me post the link for the stats for crime rates in all geo political zones of Nigeria. I have been searching for that thread of yours with no success.

I didn't make that thread with my ikechu account. I did it with my onenaira account.

If you ever need to find it, just look for onenaira6 threads

Btw here it is
https://www.nairaland.com/2246902/criminal-infested-region-southern-nigeria

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Yorubas Remain The Most Peaceful Ethnics In Nigeria At Large by pazienza(m): 12:04am On Dec 04, 2015
OneNaira6:

I didn't make that thread with my ikechu account. I did it with my onenaira account.

If you ever need to find it, just look for onenaira6 threads

Btw here it is
https://www.nairaland.com/2246902/criminal-infested-region-southern-nigeria

Thanks bro.

Now can we close this thread and stop the useless talk of peaceful SW. This is ICT age, no propaganda will survive it, some people better start getting used to this very ugly reality.

For those Yorubas talking about Lagos and Igbo factor, notice that the SW was rightly separated from Lagos in that stat, and SW crime rate was still significantly high.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Yorubas Remain The Most Peaceful Ethnics In Nigeria At Large by princdebola201(m): 12:23am On Dec 04, 2015
pazienza:

Doesn't in anyway change these very facts.
: https://www.nairaland.com/2263635/south-east-south-west-south-south-lead-attainment cheesy cheesy cheesy

LMAO..!!!!!!! cheesycheesygrin in reality we all know majority of ur flat head brothers Bus stop is SS3 WAEC cheesycheesycheesy

Chinedu and chukwuma will prefer to go trading in ariara,onitsha market than waste their precious time writing 20 units course in higher insititution.

In reality majority of igbos students doesn't go further than secondary in igboland .they rather join league of competitors in Aba Market..
Or they rather follow chisco bus to Lagos to come and sell gala and lacasera in hold upcheesycheesycheesy

That's why u see yorubas dominating the ICT sector...cos it takes a full time literate to work or own ICT company not a WAEC certificate Holder or Aba trader

8 Likes

Re: Why Do Yorubas Remain The Most Peaceful Ethnics In Nigeria At Large by ibroopeyemi(m): 1:04am On Dec 04, 2015
Because we think twice before acting into matter and protect the integrity of our family being built by our fore father ,not like ant -buhari tribe

1 Like

Re: Why Do Yorubas Remain The Most Peaceful Ethnics In Nigeria At Large by Ademolag(m): 1:13am On Dec 04, 2015
they just want peace and love...........visit pages77. to get served

1 Like

Re: Why Do Yorubas Remain The Most Peaceful Ethnics In Nigeria At Large by arresa: 1:54am On Dec 04, 2015
In Nigeria's violent religious politics, the Yoruba offer a unique glimpse of tolerance

A travelling and trading people, the Yoruba became open-minded and pragmatic as both a strategy for survival and success.
Charles Stewart (R) a traditional African priest who practices a version of Yoruba religion he learned in Nigeria, gives a 'consultation,' 'divination' for his godson.

NIGERIA is often in the headlines because of religious conflicts that have cost thousands their lives and displaced many more. But the divisions aren’t always simple and clean-cut – sometimes you may find remarkable tolerance, even within the same family, particularly among the Yoruba: testament to their long history as traders that may have exposed them to varying ideas and experiences.

One commonly cited case is that of Lagos governor Babatunde Fashola, who is a Muslim while his wife is Christian – but by far he isn’t the only case; religious intermarrying is common in south-western Nigeria.

Take for example the Koiki family in Lagos, with eight brothers and sisters, spread over six belief systems and religion is rarely a point of controversy, they say.

“It does not matter to us how and where you pray. The important thing is that you believe in God which will give you support in life”, says Iyabo, a member of the family, while preparing snacks with one of her sisters in a house in Lagos, for a celebration commemorating of the fifth year of the passing of the father of the family.

One house, many religions

He was a deeply religious man, who together with his wife made a pilgrimage to Mecca. Three of his children are Muslim, one is Catholic, another Anglican, two evangelicals, and the oldest belongs to a spiritual movement.

The religious composition of the family may be remarkable but not among the Yoruba. The Koiki children come together when possible to celebrate Christmas as well as the end of Ramadan. But none of them eats pork, clearly a remnant of their Muslim youth.

Iyabo found Islam difficult to fit into her life as a working woman, a widow and mother of five children. “Christians can pray anytime of the day. It’s not restricted to certain times as Islam is. For me it proved to be a lot easier and a reason why I changed to Christianity”.

Similarly the youngest of the Koiki family is a Muslim and his spouse a Christian. During Ramadan mother and children eat their three meals as usual while the father observes the fasting times. However, the wife makes sure she gets up early to prepare his breakfast so that he can eat before the day breaks. She knows the importance as she was raised a Muslim herself.

“It has to do with our culture,” explains Professor Adebola Aiyelabola. “The Yoruba had their own traditional religion but had an open mind and ear for the other religions they encountered during their travels as they are a people of traders”.

In south-western Nigeria, where the Yoruba predominantly live, churches and mosques stand side by side. The only form of competition between the two religious movements is noticeable on Friday afternoon and Sunday morning. During the Friday prayer imams try with powerful speakers to reach as many ears as possible with their sermons. On Sunday pastors, priests, preachers and church choirs of the various Christian denominations battle it out with equally deafening decibels.

Aiyelabola became a preacher after his retirement from regular employment, and founded his own church. He is convinced that his creed is the only correct one, but he accepts that others have different ideas. He knows the Koiki family all his life and fosters admiration for the deceased parents. “Despite their firm belief that Islam is the only true religion, they gave their children entire freedom in finding their own religious path”

250 peoples

Even before the outbreak of the terror of the radical Islamist movement Boko Haram in the north of the country, there were violent conflicts between Muslims and Christians that mostly occurred in the Middle Belt of the country. Northerners are predominantly Muslims. Majority of the Southerners are Christians, and in the Middle Belt adherents from both religions live. However the religious animosity seems to be fuelled more often by regional discord.

The more than 170 million Nigerians are made up of 250 ethnic groups. Although the northern Hausa and Fulani are often put together and labelled as the largest group, they are actually two different ethnic peoples. Taking that into consideration, then the Yoruba are the largest with 21%. They are closely followed by the Igbo and Hausa with 18% each, the Fulani with 11% and the Ijaw with 10%. More than 50% of Nigerians are Muslim, mostly Sunni. Some 48% are Christians and the rest adherents of traditional religions.

The spread of Islam in Nigeria started around the 9th century through trade with Muslims and military conquests. The customs and traditions of the peoples in the North made it easy to incorporate Islam into their way of life. Christianity only arrived in the 16th century when missionaries, in the slipstream of European traders, brought it to the South of the country. The situation would have been completely different had the Christian missionaries ventured into Nigeria through the Trans Sahara route.

The North would probably have been predominantly Christian. If on the other hand Islam had arrived through the Trans Atlantic route the peoples in the South would have been predominantly Muslim.

http://mgafrica.com/article/2014-10-21-in-nigerias-violent-religious-politics-the-yoruba-offer-a-unique-glimpse-of-tolerance

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Yorubas Remain The Most Peaceful Ethnics In Nigeria At Large by opribo(m): 4:49am On Dec 04, 2015
One answer to Op question is because the are assholes.

they slippery and unable to confront their fears so they rather die in silence than speak up. A recent example is how the poisonous Fulanis keeping using them as they like more like raping them back and front

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Yorubas Remain The Most Peaceful Ethnics In Nigeria At Large by princdebola201(m): 5:17am On Dec 04, 2015
opribo:

they slippery and unable to confront their fears so they rather die in silence than speak up. A recent example is how the poisonous Fulanis keeping using them as they like more like raping them back and front

Like the way ur Fore fathers were suyanised abicheesygrin

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Yorubas Remain The Most Peaceful Ethnics In Nigeria At Large by IdisuleOurOwn(m): 6:04am On Dec 04, 2015
chukkiephil:
Chai you just murdered English!! grin

Shey English na my papa or mama language ba?

Saagee daa iss'caa

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Yorubas Remain The Most Peaceful Ethnics In Nigeria At Large by omoelesa(m): 6:21am On Dec 04, 2015
opribo:

So the ibos have been speaking out, when will all know them, as any government in power(AGIP)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Buhari Has Performed Above Any President In Nigeria’s History — Zamfara APC / Lai Mohammed Raises Alarm Over Unhealthy Condition Of Imported Rice / Governor Udom Emmanuel Bars All Political Appointees From Press Interview

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.