Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,339 members, 7,819,198 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:33 PM

Kogi: Court Gives INEC Permission To Continue Election - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Kogi: Court Gives INEC Permission To Continue Election (34121 Views)

Breaking News: Court Dismisses Melaye’s Case And Gives INEC Go Ahead For Recall / Nnamdi Kanu: Tell Obiano I'm Coming To Ekwulobia To Continue Election Boycott / Appeal Court Gives CCT Go Ahead To Try Saraki For Corruption (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Kogi: Court Gives INEC Permission To Continue Election by AJaylee(m): 4:37pm On Dec 04, 2015
Look at people fighting against someone dat is not even fighting, dis two political hhungry guys shhould just admit nd go back to their various places nw.
Re: Kogi: Court Gives INEC Permission To Continue Election by mart2k(m): 4:37pm On Dec 04, 2015
Flakky26:
Has faleke formally write to INEC indicating he is not a running mate to Yahaya Bello? As it stands ,officially, he is still the running mate to Yahaya

because APC submitted both yahaya and faleke names for the supplementary election.
Yes, he has written INEC
Re: Kogi: Court Gives INEC Permission To Continue Election by Clevite(m): 4:42pm On Dec 04, 2015
PassingShot:
I said it that neither INEC nor APC erred.

1. Election was not won or lost based on the Electoral Act as there were more registered voters than the margin with which APC/Audu was leading. And since the Act recognized only registered voters and not PVC collected, the election became inconclusive.

2. Faleke did not participate in APC's primaries whereas the Electoral Act clearly stated that for any candidate to be elegible for election into office, he/she must have participated fully in his/her party's primaries. So, how will APC have used Faleke who didn't meet this criteria? Doing so would have handed the governorship to Wada through the courts later.

The case of Boni Haruna and that of Amaechi or any other similar ones are clearly different from this Kogi's case. In Kogi, no winner has emerged and it's the reason Faleke is unfortunate here.
And Yahaya Bello did not participate in party primaries too. So neither the APC nor INEC go by the strict application of the Electoral Law. The fact is no decision or option opened to both the APC and the INEC in this scenario is aptly captured by both the Act and the Constitution. If we want to in any case go by the application of either the Act or the Constitution here, we will only arrive at what seems to be the closest to the provisions of both the Act and the Constitution in the situation on ground. Going by this, neither the APC's nor INEC's decision seems to favour Yahaya Bello in this situation as he doesn't seem to come any closer to the provisions of both legislations. According to the provision of the Electoral Act and INEC's Guiding Rules in announcing the winner, the candidate that polls the highest number of votes and that satisfies the requirement of 25% of votes cast in all the local governments of the State shall be declared the winner of the election on Saturday. By the strict letters of this provision, can Bello be said to have been a candidate with the highest votes having 25% of votes in all the LGs?
Faleke, in my opinion, seems to

2 Likes

Re: Kogi: Court Gives INEC Permission To Continue Election by mart2k(m): 4:45pm On Dec 04, 2015
carboblanko:
As far as INEC is concerned Faleke is still the APC running mate despite his purported withdrawal. INEC will only accept the purported withdrawal if APC informs them and presents a new running mate for the elections.
abeg, read wat u typed again. So, u want to force Faleke to b running mate by force? U think Yorubas ar daft? Faleke knew d consequence of his withdrawal and d damage it can cause. He has since written INEC officially to notify it on his withdrawal and also intimate INEC in a separate letter where he picked late Audu's son as his running mate. Just watch and c how court wil eventually throw Bello out of govt house

1 Like

Re: Kogi: Court Gives INEC Permission To Continue Election by carboblanko(m): 4:50pm On Dec 04, 2015
mart2k:
abeg, read wat u typed again. So, u want to force Faleke to b running mate by force? U think Yorubas ar daft? Faleke knew d consequence of his withdrawal and d damage it can cause. He has since written INEC officially to notify it on his withdrawal and also intimate INEC in a separate letter where he picked late Audu's son as his running mate. Just watch and c how court wil eventually throw Bello out of govt house
OK o. We are watching.
Re: Kogi: Court Gives INEC Permission To Continue Election by PassingShot(m): 4:59pm On Dec 04, 2015
Clevite:

And Yahaya Bello did not participate in party primaries too. So neither the APC nor INEC go by the strict application of the Electoral Law. The fact is no decision or option opened to both the APC and the INEC in this scenario is aptly captured by both the Act and the Constitution. If we want to in any case go by the application of either the Act or the Constitution here, we will only arrive at what seems to be the closest to the provisions of both the Act and the Constitution in the situation on ground. Going by this, neither the APC's nor INEC's decision seems to favour Yahaya Bello in this situation as he doesn't seem to come any closer to the provisions of both legislations. According to the provision of the Electoral Act and INEC's Guiding Rules in announcing the winner, the candidate that polls the highest number of votes and that satisfies the requirement of 25% of votes cast in all the local governments of the State shall be declared the winner of the election on Saturday. By the strict letters of this provision, can Bello be said to have been a candidate with the highest votes having 25% of votes in all the LGs?
Faleke, in my opinion, seems to
Yahaya Bello participated and came second behind Audu in the primaries. That's why he's the choice substitute for Audu. He met the provision of the Electoral Act.
Re: Kogi: Court Gives INEC Permission To Continue Election by urchmanx(m): 5:08pm On Dec 04, 2015
mart2k:
on no.2, what is d meaning of joint ticket. Again d electoral act/ constitution stated that a candidate election(primary) remain invalid without a running mate even if he won d election because of dis, d electoral act/constitution assume that d running mate is part of d whole process frm d beginning. It is a pity that am lazy at typing if not, I wud v explain things better to u. Though, dis is a new development in our democracy and it is so difficult for anybody to bak up his claims constitutionally but, if smbody asked me who is closer to d seat, I wil say it is Faleke. Again, when it comes to legal issue, Bello can easilly b removed because there ar lot of loopholes Lawyers can capitalise on. Dsame thing wit Faleke but his loopholes ar very few.
Thank you for this comment. I think the best INEC could have done is to head straight to Supreme Court for interpretation that way the legality of the candidates for APC will not be questioned. INEC tuning to AGF messed the whole deal. On this case I think is a partial victory for faleke because the court sees this as a post election case and his lawyers will feed on this. APC goofed on this, they shouldn't have interfered through the AGF. This is just my take on this.

1 Like

Re: Kogi: Court Gives INEC Permission To Continue Election by urchmanx(m): 5:16pm On Dec 04, 2015
MyMouth:

All these wahala would not have come up if only the A.G had approached the supreme court for interpretation of the constitution!
Thanks for the comment. That should have been the most intelligent approach to this case. I mentioned this earlier when this issue came up. The AGF goofed and he is the problem kogi state will face.

1 Like

Re: Kogi: Court Gives INEC Permission To Continue Election by Ferdinandu(m): 6:34pm On Dec 04, 2015
ExInferis:

In ideal environments, people identify with, and vote, parties. Because parties usually have manifestos and ideologies. For instance in the US, whose system we largely aped, democrats always vote democrats, as republicans vote GOP (even though now Left and Right or lib-dems and conservatives are the preferred terms)

In the case of Faleke, the APC wants him only to deputize, not as as the flag bearer. Like i said earlier, the APC doesnt want PDP to pull a "taraba" on them.

In any case, i dont have a horse in this race, so i could care less who eventually carries the baton.
No it is same all over the world, the no of party faithfuls that vote for the party no matter the Candidate is small compared to voters who vote because of the candidate. I still maintain that allocating that vote to Bello is disenfranchising most of Kogi voters

1 Like

Re: Kogi: Court Gives INEC Permission To Continue Election by kings09(m): 6:52pm On Dec 04, 2015
D deputy guber candidate z still Faleke cos he only rejected by saying it. If he z serious abt it, he shld hv written INEC. Formally tellin dem. I dnt see Faleke as a serious person if not, he shld stand his ground n not try 2 aet frm both sides of d cake
cktheluckyman:

who will be the APC deputy governorship candidate since Faleke has withdrawn his candidacy for the supplem,entary polls? Can a candidiate run without a running mate? Will Bello/Another deputy inherit votes cast for Audu/Faleke? A very interesting days in the courts in the coming days .The way I see this,fresh elections are in the offing
Re: Kogi: Court Gives INEC Permission To Continue Election by elvismoh: 8:03pm On Dec 04, 2015
PassingShot:
I said it that neither INEC nor APC erred.

1. Election was not won or lost based on the Electoral Act as there were more registered voters than the margin with which APC/Audu was leading. And since the Act recognized only registered voters and not PVC collected, the election became inconclusive.

2. Faleke did not participate in APC's primaries whereas the Electoral Act clearly stated that for any candidate to be elegible for election into office, he/she must have participated fully in his/her party's primaries. So, how will APC have used Faleke who didn't meet this criteria? Doing so would have handed the governorship to Wada through the courts later.

The case of Boni Haruna and that of Amaechi or any other similar ones are clearly different from this Kogi's case. In Kogi, no winner has emerged and it's the reason Faleke is unfortunate here.
pls go and read Sec. 179(2) of the 1999 constitution(as amended).
Re: Kogi: Court Gives INEC Permission To Continue Election by jamace(m): 8:09pm On Dec 04, 2015
5 SANs warn INEC against supplementary election in Kogi State : https://www.nairaland.com/2781443/kogi-guber-5-sans-engaged#40693026
Re: Kogi: Court Gives INEC Permission To Continue Election by taiy101(m): 9:28pm On Dec 04, 2015
WADA
Re: Kogi: Court Gives INEC Permission To Continue Election by taiy101(m): 9:33pm On Dec 04, 2015
WADAAAA Hmmmmm I wonder if a copy of u still exist WADAAAA Hmmmmm I wonder if a copy of u still exist WADAAAA Hmmmmm I wonder if a copy of u still exist
Re: Kogi: Court Gives INEC Permission To Continue Election by taiy101(m): 9:36pm On Dec 04, 2015
taiy101:
WADAAAA Hmmmmm I wonder if a copy of u still exist WADAAAA Hmmmmm I wonder if a copy of u still exist WADAAAA Hmmmmm I wonder if a copy of u still exist
hmmmm
Re: Kogi: Court Gives INEC Permission To Continue Election by Rexyl(m): 9:55am On Dec 05, 2015
The first election that APC has conducted seems not to be ending well, no clear winner, even from today's supplementary election in Kogi State.
Re: Kogi: Court Gives INEC Permission To Continue Election by Arogunmasa(m): 10:48am On Dec 05, 2015
cktheluckyman:
Who is the deputy governorship candidate of the APC? Whatever comes out of this election would definitely be thrown out by the supreme court.
I don't know much about electoral law but d late Audu contested in the party primaries not his running mate. It would ave been diff if he also contested and got votes from party delegates; in that cirumstances we can say his votes must count. Then again u can shed more light on my argument am open to learning.
Re: Kogi: Court Gives INEC Permission To Continue Election by cktheluckyman: 12:22pm On Dec 05, 2015
akinsbaba2015:
. Only the party can withdraw the nomination of a nominated candidate
, APC has not done that, Faleke remains running mate to Yahaya Bello

lolz grin grin grin Chai see logic!!! So APC will force Faleke to become running mate abi? All this stupid end time lawyers on nairaland sef.FYI,The APC has no deputy governorship candidate for today's supplementary polls in kogi state.Faleke has formally written to INEC to repudiate the Yahaya Bello-faleke ticket

1 Like

Re: Kogi: Court Gives INEC Permission To Continue Election by cktheluckyman: 12:24pm On Dec 05, 2015
kings09:
D deputy guber candidate z still Faleke cos he only rejected by saying it. If he z serious abt it, he shld hv written INEC. Formally tellin dem. I dnt see Faleke as a serious person if not, he shld stand his ground n not try 2 aet frm both sides of d cake

Faleke has written formally to Inec TO REJECT IT!!! It was even published in several newspapers.Have you not been reading the news?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

The Population Density Of Igbo Land / Truckloads Of Dangote Rice Arrive Lagos For Distribution / President Buhari's Foreign Trips As At February 28, 2016 (map)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.