Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,876 members, 7,813,987 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 11:28 PM

Reno Omokri: Senate Should Learn From Jonathan's Tolerance To Freedom Of Speech - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Reno Omokri: Senate Should Learn From Jonathan's Tolerance To Freedom Of Speech (11360 Views)

Reno Omokri With Air Hostesses At Sofitel Heathrow / NGE Confirmed They Took N50m From Jonathan, Claims Unfairly Targeted By Buhari / Ijaw Group Counters Clark, Lists What He Benefited From Jonathan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Reno Omokri: Senate Should Learn From Jonathan's Tolerance To Freedom Of Speech by lalasticlala(m): 7:10pm On Dec 04, 2015
Omokri to Senate: Don’t criminalize use of social media

AS criticisms continue to trail the ongoing bill by the Senate to censor social media in the country, author and former Special Assistant on New Media to President Goodluck Jonathan, Reno Omokri, has urged the Nigerian Senate to do away with the bill, stressing that freedom of information is a necessity in any democracy.

The TV host in a series of tweets via his handle, @renoomokri argued that the 8th National Assembly led by Dr. Bukola Saraki, should take a cue from ex-president Jonathan who faced false reports, yet signed the Freedom of Information bill to law and never tampered with free speech. He added that throughout the 5-year reign of his former boss, no one was jailed for speaking his mind.

“I call on the Senate to take a cue from ex-Pres Jonathan who faced false reports yet NEVER tampered with Free Speech”

“Jonathan, at huge political cost to himself, signed Freedom of Information to law. Senate should let sleeping dogs lie!”

“Throughout Jonathan’s presidency, no one was jailed for speaking his mind. The Senate should not reversed that legacy ”

He urged the senate to allow sleeping dogs lie, stressing that he is not sure that president Buhari will assent to the bill if passed by the lawmakers.
“What I know is that ex Pres. Jonathan would never sign such a law if it passes and I believe President Buhari wont either”.

“To the Social Media community: When you cook soup with cannibals you have no one to blame if they use you as meat,” he urged users of social media.

Recalled that Act to Prohibit Frivolous Petitions and other Related Matters, sponsored by the Deputy Senate Leader, Senator Ibn Na’Allah, APC, Kebbi South generated reactions on the social media as many alleged that a section of the bill recommended two-year jail term for false publication on the platform.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/12/omokri-to-senate-dont-criminalize-use-of-social-media/

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Reno Omokri: Senate Should Learn From Jonathan's Tolerance To Freedom Of Speech by babyfaceafrica: 7:11pm On Dec 04, 2015
Reno!!!!.....you better keep your mouth shut before they reason your matter ....see in big heat....loves ranting online ..no action

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Reno Omokri: Senate Should Learn From Jonathan's Tolerance To Freedom Of Speech by obinnashady(m): 7:12pm On Dec 04, 2015
M
Re: Reno Omokri: Senate Should Learn From Jonathan's Tolerance To Freedom Of Speech by dulaman: 7:15pm On Dec 04, 2015
me think the law was made because of Sahara Reporters, but the funny thing is that now i only trust sahara news (always the first to know)

21 Likes

Re: Reno Omokri: Senate Should Learn From Jonathan's Tolerance To Freedom Of Speech by MzPecs(f): 7:16pm On Dec 04, 2015
Word of life.. cool

9 Likes

Re: Reno Omokri: Senate Should Learn From Jonathan's Tolerance To Freedom Of Speech by damton(m): 7:16pm On Dec 04, 2015
okay
Re: Reno Omokri: Senate Should Learn From Jonathan's Tolerance To Freedom Of Speech by jimfend: 7:16pm On Dec 04, 2015
I coudn't aggree more

4 Likes

Re: Reno Omokri: Senate Should Learn From Jonathan's Tolerance To Freedom Of Speech by CR77(f): 7:16pm On Dec 04, 2015
True talk

APC with there Scam Change tongue

41 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Reno Omokri: Senate Should Learn From Jonathan's Tolerance To Freedom Of Speech by politricks: 7:16pm On Dec 04, 2015
“Throughout Jonathan’s
presidency, no one was
jailed for speaking his mind.
“No one was jailed for anything not only speaking one's mind. I guess every citizens were extraordinarily law abiding during GEJ'S tenure.

7 Likes

Re: Reno Omokri: Senate Should Learn From Jonathan's Tolerance To Freedom Of Speech by PRYCE(m): 7:16pm On Dec 04, 2015
Goodluck Jonathan Is an Embodiment of Sheer Patience!

55 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Reno Omokri: Senate Should Learn From Jonathan's Tolerance To Freedom Of Speech by OYINBOGOJU(m): 7:16pm On Dec 04, 2015
We better stand up for our right.

Senate can fool people sometimes but they can never fool us all the time.

We have seen the light.

32 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Reno Omokri: Senate Should Learn From Jonathan's Tolerance To Freedom Of Speech by Nobody: 7:17pm On Dec 04, 2015
undecided I SUPPORT THE BILL %100. BAN SOCIAL MEDIA COS NIGERIA IS NOT RIPE ENOUGH FOR SUCH PRIVILEDGE. cool
Re: Reno Omokri: Senate Should Learn From Jonathan's Tolerance To Freedom Of Speech by sirTesco(m): 7:17pm On Dec 04, 2015
Sad mood.
What a loss!
Just received the news of the demise of my vibrant uncle.
Rest In Peace Mr. Christopher Ojo.

Pls help pray for the happy repose of his soul.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Reno Omokri: Senate Should Learn From Jonathan's Tolerance To Freedom Of Speech by CR77(f): 7:17pm On Dec 04, 2015
grin grin
PRYCE:
Goodluck Jonathan Is an Embodiment of Sheer Patience!

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Reno Omokri: Senate Should Learn From Jonathan's Tolerance To Freedom Of Speech by Nobody: 7:18pm On Dec 04, 2015
It has no place in a democratic society. They should have more important matters to tend to, and last I checked, they actually do.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Reno Omokri: Senate Should Learn From Jonathan's Tolerance To Freedom Of Speech by CR77(f): 7:18pm On Dec 04, 2015
Who cares
jimfend:
I coudn't aggree more

1 Like

Re: Reno Omokri: Senate Should Learn From Jonathan's Tolerance To Freedom Of Speech by Toeyoursea(m): 7:18pm On Dec 04, 2015
I kindly hope you didn't share from the 2.1 billion Arms deal.
For your own sake.

2 Likes

Re: Reno Omokri: Senate Should Learn From Jonathan's Tolerance To Freedom Of Speech by Samsantos9: 7:18pm On Dec 04, 2015
I quite agree with him...

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Reno Omokri: Senate Should Learn From Jonathan's Tolerance To Freedom Of Speech by Firefire(m): 7:18pm On Dec 04, 2015
A dictator is always a dictator, irrespective of the clothing.

Decree 2 under way...

32 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Reno Omokri: Senate Should Learn From Jonathan's Tolerance To Freedom Of Speech by Beehshorp(m): 7:19pm On Dec 04, 2015
Sai baba crooners av decided to take us back to the military regime.. They are reaping the benefit of change

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reno Omokri: Senate Should Learn From Jonathan's Tolerance To Freedom Of Speech by ichommy(m): 7:19pm On Dec 04, 2015
Reno.GEJ grin
Re: Reno Omokri: Senate Should Learn From Jonathan's Tolerance To Freedom Of Speech by MrKong: 7:19pm On Dec 04, 2015
Something Nairaland mods need to learn

2 Likes

Re: Reno Omokri: Senate Should Learn From Jonathan's Tolerance To Freedom Of Speech by Nobody: 7:20pm On Dec 04, 2015
nice
check my signature
Re: Reno Omokri: Senate Should Learn From Jonathan's Tolerance To Freedom Of Speech by Pidggin(f): 7:20pm On Dec 04, 2015
Gbam! APC wants to hear lies they can't handle the reality of their poor performance so far.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reno Omokri: Senate Should Learn From Jonathan's Tolerance To Freedom Of Speech by okeyley: 7:20pm On Dec 04, 2015
K

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Reno Omokri: Senate Should Learn From Jonathan's Tolerance To Freedom Of Speech by donkegh(m): 7:20pm On Dec 04, 2015
I don't know why they are not making laws or proposing bills that will salvage the electricity issues or improve infrastructure. Reno pls tell them.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Reno Omokri: Senate Should Learn From Jonathan's Tolerance To Freedom Of Speech by festusfeezy(m): 7:21pm On Dec 04, 2015
Re: Reno Omokri: Senate Should Learn From Jonathan's Tolerance To Freedom Of Speech by Omotayor123(f): 7:21pm On Dec 04, 2015
undecided Orishirishi tongue

1 Like

Re: Reno Omokri: Senate Should Learn From Jonathan's Tolerance To Freedom Of Speech by kossyablaze(m): 7:21pm On Dec 04, 2015
Hmmmmm any which way
Re: Reno Omokri: Senate Should Learn From Jonathan's Tolerance To Freedom Of Speech by Pavarottii(m): 7:22pm On Dec 04, 2015
God bless GEJ!

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reno Omokri: Senate Should Learn From Jonathan's Tolerance To Freedom Of Speech by DICE234(m): 7:22pm On Dec 04, 2015
Lol... now everybody suddenly misses GEJ?

Meanwhile

I believe that all women are pretty without makeup, but with the right makeup, they can be pretty powerful, are you a makeup artist? Can you apply the right makeup for the right occasion? Why not look at my signature and register your services?.... someone somewhere needs your services!!!

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Recession Worsens On Niger Delta Crisis, Despite Agric Rebounds - Thisdaylive / World War III: North Korea Release Photos Of Tanks Lined Up For War With US / Governor Ishaku Signs Death Sentence For Kidnappers In Taraba

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.