Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,077 members, 7,818,222 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:40 AM

Employment Without Offer Letter, What's Your Opinion On This? - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Employment Without Offer Letter, What's Your Opinion On This? (16252 Views)

Job Without Offer Letter / Offer Letter Just Dropped (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Employment Without Offer Letter, What's Your Opinion On This? by Bflexing(m): 8:22am On Dec 05, 2015
I recently got a job from an organization. The organization is doing very ok in Nigeria, part of the top competitors in what they do and even have a good starting offer. They gave me an offer to increase my current salary by 50% which is a good thing, told me to resume after a week so I can resign where I work but when I asked for an offer letter, even though he promised to send it, his look says something different.
I reminded him about the offer letter during d week and he assured me he will still send it. Fast forward to Tuesday, I got his call asking me why I didn't resume....

My question is, can you leave your current job for a juicy offer without an offer letter?

15 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Employment Without Offer Letter, What's Your Opinion On This? by jesussaves22: 8:42am On Dec 05, 2015
An offer letter first

34 Likes

Re: Employment Without Offer Letter, What's Your Opinion On This? by iliyande(m): 8:49am On Dec 05, 2015
Take a few days casual leave from your work to visit the new office and see things for yourself first.

57 Likes 1 Share

Re: Employment Without Offer Letter, What's Your Opinion On This? by eightsin(m): 9:05am On Dec 05, 2015
No letter means no offer. Ask why he doesnt want to give a letter?

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Employment Without Offer Letter, What's Your Opinion On This? by Wallade(m): 11:35am On Dec 05, 2015
I know a company in PHC with such modus operandi. It is dangerous for you, especially as an experienced staff, not to receive an offer letter for a job and commence the job.

17 Likes

Re: Employment Without Offer Letter, What's Your Opinion On This? by Daslim180(m): 12:18pm On Dec 05, 2015
It might be swindle/scam.......... Offer letter before anything else. Biko/Jo/Dun-ala!!

6 Likes

Re: Employment Without Offer Letter, What's Your Opinion On This? by moscobabs(m): 12:18pm On Dec 05, 2015
is a scam ooo.

let me share my experience,

I changed my job just of recent, during my interview my employer sees me as a brilliant and experience young man that has 6 years experience in my field. and they wanted to get me by all means. therefore they were ready to pay me 160% of my present job then which I agreed cos I needed a beta offer and I got it. They asked when would I like to join the company and I told them August 3rd after my 2 weeks notification to my then present company and they agreed with a good impression. when I got home they started calling me that I should please resign the following day that was July 15. then I tell them to send me my Employment letter to my mail.they refused to send it and i refused to resign in my office too .The Chairman has instructed the HR on 21st to send the letter to me ,so the HR sent it on 22nd without waiting for the chairman again, Unknown to her that the Chairman has emplyed someone with Higher qualification and experience than me and with less Take home. I got the Letter on 22nd and I resigned that day. Then the HR called me on 24th that the chairman says he does not need me again..I was just laughing cos i know my right. I resumed there on 3rd August , I did not even listen to what the HR was saying I just sat down on one chair till closing hour , the following day I did the same and they called the security to walk me out. I obeyed, i came back on wesday the security did not allow me to enter. to cut the story short when month ends, I went there to demand for my salary. they were just laughing . na lawyer eventually collect the salary and they were forced to retain my Job

101 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Employment Without Offer Letter, What's Your Opinion On This? by damton(m): 12:18pm On Dec 05, 2015
The offer letter is the seal and agreements that binds both you and your employer together.

To you, it's a protection.
To them it's an assurance of service.

So, it's essential you have it no matter the circumstances or Conditions surrounding the the employment offer .

32 Likes

Re: Employment Without Offer Letter, What's Your Opinion On This? by menix(m): 12:18pm On Dec 05, 2015
They need you to fill in for a staff possibly on leave or Maternity leave..

Have been bitten..

13 Likes

Re: Employment Without Offer Letter, What's Your Opinion On This? by labakeJ(f): 12:19pm On Dec 05, 2015
Here to read wise comments... cool

1 Like

Re: Employment Without Offer Letter, What's Your Opinion On This? by ganja06(m): 12:20pm On Dec 05, 2015
It means you are a casual staff. Reject the offer if hunger no dey wire you, so that people way hunger the wire can take the offer.

4 Likes

Re: Employment Without Offer Letter, What's Your Opinion On This? by Adesiji77: 12:21pm On Dec 05, 2015
Run!

Even with an offer letter, you may discover that some organizations are different ballgames compared with what they project.

In the alternative and as suggested by a poster above: take a few days casual leave, "pretend" as if you have resumed then insist on your offer letter. If they still refuse to give you, then you can conveniently take a walk.

Remember, do not resign from your current appointment until you have collected your offer letter!

8 Likes

Re: Employment Without Offer Letter, What's Your Opinion On This? by wallyg: 12:21pm On Dec 05, 2015
You trying to sit on a gun powder

1 Like

Re: Employment Without Offer Letter, What's Your Opinion On This? by snadguy007(m): 12:22pm On Dec 05, 2015
If you trust the company, u can go for it. I'm currently working with a company now with no offer letter for like 2 years now. Hoping to dump them soon when i make enough money from them.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Employment Without Offer Letter, What's Your Opinion On This? by makazona(m): 12:22pm On Dec 05, 2015
Just find time and go there.the info you will get from your colleagues will be helpful.
Re: Employment Without Offer Letter, What's Your Opinion On This? by sule17(m): 12:24pm On Dec 05, 2015
God help people of bayelsa
Re: Employment Without Offer Letter, What's Your Opinion On This? by Treash(m): 12:24pm On Dec 05, 2015
Its very dangerous coz it goes to d root of legal backing. If he sacks you, you cant prove your case in court dat u were employed, coz an employment letter is one of the exhibits u wl tender to claim your right. Also make sure he sign d letter, bcoz the law is dat an unsigned document is not admissible in evidence. Tnks

Check ma signashure.

3 Likes

Re: Employment Without Offer Letter, What's Your Opinion On This? by sobmos(m): 12:25pm On Dec 05, 2015
Its a bad sign. You need the letter to make your employment official. Its a must! It has to be documented. A devil you already know is better than an unknown angel. Don't quit your present job yet.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Employment Without Offer Letter, What's Your Opinion On This? by KORLAR(m): 12:26pm On Dec 05, 2015
Offer letter first so you can have evidence of appointment should the need arise. Because once you start and they don't hold up their end of the deal, you can't go back to your former company and you won't have any evidence against them in court should you go for litigation.
Re: Employment Without Offer Letter, What's Your Opinion On This? by gaetano: 12:27pm On Dec 05, 2015
lipsrsealed
Re: Employment Without Offer Letter, What's Your Opinion On This? by surrogatesng: 12:30pm On Dec 05, 2015
Get the letter first
Re: Employment Without Offer Letter, What's Your Opinion On This? by Caracta(f): 12:31pm On Dec 05, 2015
snadguy007:
If you trust the company, u can go for it. I'm currently working with a company now with no offer letter for like 2 years now. Hoping to dump them soon when i make enough money from them.

I hope they do not plan to dump you too after making enough money from you.

8 Likes

Re: Employment Without Offer Letter, What's Your Opinion On This? by Adesiji77: 12:32pm On Dec 05, 2015
Caracta:

I hope they do not plan to dump you too after making enough money from you.

cheesy cheesy grin grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Employment Without Offer Letter, What's Your Opinion On This? by ISLAM4theWISE: 12:34pm On Dec 05, 2015
Let ur every things be written down.
Re: Employment Without Offer Letter, What's Your Opinion On This? by naijainfogalery: 12:36pm On Dec 05, 2015
bro never fall for that scam, even if its just a simple email tell you your salary break down than Nothing, Nigerian businesses are known to backout of what they tell you
Re: Employment Without Offer Letter, What's Your Opinion On This? by tfabu: 12:37pm On Dec 05, 2015
I once worked wit such a company,they would change terms and conditions at will as there was no initial agreement binding,those terms will most likely not suit u,so insist on offer letter o
Re: Employment Without Offer Letter, What's Your Opinion On This? by frodobee: 12:39pm On Dec 05, 2015
Bflexing:
I recently got a job from an organization. The organization is doing very ok in Nigeria, part of the top competitors in what they do and even have a good starting offer. They gave me an offer to increase my current salary by 50% which is a good thing, told me to resume after a week so I can resign where I work but when I asked for an offer letter, even though he promised to send it, his look says something different.
I reminded him about the offer letter during d week and he assured me he will still send it. Fast forward to Tuesday, I got his call asking me why I didn't resume....

My question is, can you leave your current job for a juicy offer without an offer letter?

That job is not worth it for you as an experiences staff, I can tell you that.
They might be doing well profit-wise, but badly staff-wise.
And look if you push him to write you an offer, he will write you an offer with clauses you might not stand(stuffs that will enslave you) so watch out if eventually you ask him for the latter and he succumbs.

2 Likes

Re: Employment Without Offer Letter, What's Your Opinion On This? by Caracta(f): 12:43pm On Dec 05, 2015
Adesiji77:

cheesy cheesy grin grin

Yes na.

1 Like

Re: Employment Without Offer Letter, What's Your Opinion On This? by lantessy(m): 12:45pm On Dec 05, 2015
moscobabs:
is a scam ooo.

I changed my job just of recent, during my interview my employer sees me as a brilliant and experience young man that has 6 years experience in my field. and they wanted to get me by all means. therefore they were ready to pay me 160% of my present job then which I agreed cos I needed a beta offer and I got it. They asked when would I like to join the company and I told them August 3rd after my 2 weeks notification to my then present company and they agreed with a good impression. when I got home they started calling me that I should please resign the following day that was July 15. then I tell them to send me my Employment letter to my mail.they refused to send it and i refused to resign in my office too .The Chairman has instructed the HR on 21st to send the letter to me ,so the HR sent it on 22nd without waiting for the chairman again, Unknown to her that the Chairman has emplyed someone with Higher qualification and experience than me and with less Take home. I got the Letter on 22nd and I resigned that day. Then the HR called me on 24th that the chairman says he does not need me again..I was just laughing cos i know my right. I resumed there on 3rd August , I did not even listen to what the HR was saying I just sat down on one chair till closing hour , the following day I did the same and they called the security to walk me out. I obeyed, i came back on wesday the security did not allow me to enter. to cut the story short when month ends, I went there to demand for my salary. they were just laughing . na lawyer eventually collect the salary and they were forced to retain my Job
grin grin

1 Like

Re: Employment Without Offer Letter, What's Your Opinion On This? by Nobody: 12:45pm On Dec 05, 2015
thus is my dilemma.I was called by the HR of a company I did an interview with to submit my current employment letter to their office.The school I'm working for, did not give me an employment letter.I am really nauseous about the whole thing right now.

1 Like

Re: Employment Without Offer Letter, What's Your Opinion On This? by OLUJOSHINS(m): 12:52pm On Dec 05, 2015
Hmmmmmm.

well now I know of the existence & importance of an offer letter.

Thumbs up op, U be correct guy.

wish U the best in whatever decision U make with regards to the issue on ground.

1 Like

Re: Employment Without Offer Letter, What's Your Opinion On This? by macklef(m): 1:03pm On Dec 05, 2015
moscobabs:
is a scam ooo.

Intresting. Can i ask u? What in a case where u have no employment letter.
You decide to leav d company for anoda company, u did not give them any prior
Notice because der was no contract.
Because ur position involves cash, u count ur salary for the days u have worked and balance d accounts with a surbodinate.
Is this action punishable by law?

Cc barister treash cheesy ur opinion needed.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Vacancy With Icsl / Info.nigeriacustomservice@mail.ru / Want To Work At Ecowas Headquarters In Abuja? Check This Up

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.