Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,215 members, 7,829,357 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 04:43 AM

Why the Yoruba Nation is not seeking for secession - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why the Yoruba Nation is not seeking for secession (5565 Views)

Biafra: Aisha Buhari, Igbo Women Say No To Calls For Secession / Biafra: INEC Speaks On Calls For Secession, Election Boycott / Economy: Buhari Not Seeking Emergency Powers- Presidency (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why the Yoruba Nation is not seeking for secession by Nobody: 7:34pm On Dec 06, 2015
I have read different versions of the accounts of the civil war.l have read an account by Frederick Forsyth who happens to be the BBC correspondence during the war.I have also read some version of some northern military commanders who were active in the war.these versions were very clear on the political developments from post independence up to the first coup,the killing of the Igbos,the failure of the Aburi accord and declaration of Biafra that led to the civil war .
Now each time I come across anything written by a Yoruba person ,it's usually filled with lies and half truths.it's usually about oil,igbo domination and other nonsense.Obj in one his books even stated that Ojukwu wanted to rule Nigerian and because he could not,he decided to break it into pieces.chaii.
Re: Why the Yoruba Nation is not seeking for secession by Adesege(m): 7:45pm On Dec 06, 2015
doxime:
I have read different versions of the accounts of the civil war.l have read an account by Frederick Forsyth who happens to be the BBC correspondence during the war.I have also read some version of some northern military commanders who were active in the war.these versions were very clear on the political developments from post independence up to the first coup,the killing of the Igbos,the failure of the Aburi accord and declaration of Biafra that led to the civil war .
Now each time I come across anything written by a Yoruba person ,it's usually filled with lies and half truths.it's usually about oil,igbo domination and other nonsense.Obj in one his books even stated that Ojukwu wanted to rule Nigerian and because he could not,he decided to break it into pieces.chaii.

Then you must be abreast of what happened with your knowledge.

Do you know what initiated the civil war? Do you know what really happened?

I've also read many versions of the war but these stories never failed to mention that it was the 1966 failed coup that escalated to the civil war.

They never failed to mention how Nzwogwu led other Soldiers into Sir Ahmadu Bello's official residence. How they killed all the Northerners there leaving the top igbo officials.

Chimamanda Adichie also spoke extensively on it.

It's not a Yoruba thing. I've noticed that the Igbos always twist history to favour them.

1 Like

Re: Why the Yoruba Nation is not seeking for secession by Nobody: 7:53pm On Dec 06, 2015
Adesege:

The title and the content therein of the other OP already suggest that it was a comparison.

He made mention of the North, South West, and the South South. Why is South East missing

South east doesn't want to be part of Nigeria..
I guess thats why it was missing...
The other op was truthful...
But yours is just trash the moment you start castigating Igbo's...
What's counter in it?
Worst counter of all time...shame on you tribalist.
Re: Why the Yoruba Nation is not seeking for secession by Adesege(m): 7:57pm On Dec 06, 2015
YoundDoctor:

What's counter in it?

Well, I'm not being a tribalist. You think so?

Maybe not a counter thread but the other way round.

Thanks
Re: Why the Yoruba Nation is not seeking for secession by Nobody: 8:06pm On Dec 06, 2015
Adesege:

Well, I'm not being a tribalist. You think so?

Maybe not a counter thread but the other way round.

Thanks

Which other way round.?
Yes, You just a tribalist and I believe so.
Re: Why the Yoruba Nation is not seeking for secession by Adesege(m): 8:14pm On Dec 06, 2015
YoundDoctor:

Which other way round.?
Yes, You just a tribalist and I believe so.

Don't over hit the polity please.

Anyone who tries to speak otherwise, think outta the box, is a tribalist to you?

These are just one of the many reasons why development is far from us.

I replied every questions with facts, what have you done? Generalise things.

You know what, I argue with facts, since you've failed to meet that, you can move on...
Re: Why the Yoruba Nation is not seeking for secession by Nobody: 8:19pm On Dec 06, 2015
Adesege:

Don't over hit the polity please.

Anyone who tries to speak otherwise, think outta the box, is a tribalist to you?

These are just one of the many reasons why development is far from us.

I replied every questions with facts, what have you done? Generalise things.

You know what, I argue with facts, since you've failed to meet that, you can move on...

Then explain other way round you mean with fact...
Is it too much...
Long empty epistle haven't yet explained anything.
Re: Why the Yoruba Nation is not seeking for secession by Kestolovee95(f): 8:29pm On Dec 06, 2015
He claimed he is intelligent but i doubt if he understood what he himself wrote. grin
Re: Why the Yoruba Nation is not seeking for secession by trapQ: 8:44pm On Dec 06, 2015
Read and comprehend. I never said you don't have natural resources. There's no country in the world that doesn't have natural resources.

The O.P said the Yoruba's don't have anything to lose. And I countered him by highlighting what the Yoruba's have to lose. The only region that will not lose but instead gain is the NIGER DELTA. And that's because it gains ABSOLUTELY NOTHING from the rest of the country, rather it sustains the entire country.
Adesege:

You think the Yoruba Nation has alot to lose? I don't think so.

We have Lagos, fine. What of Bitumen in Ondo? Quarry in Ogun? Etc.

We have natural resources if maximized will give a high returns.

Remember that if we focus on our border at Idiroko, that can be a source of revenue to the Federal Govt.

If the Yoruba Nation can make policies that affect its citizens, we are good to go.

A quick look into the National conference report will give you a better understanding.

wink
Re: Why the Yoruba Nation is not seeking for secession by raumdeuter: 8:56pm On Dec 06, 2015
101percent:

So dre re now igbos in Delta?

Just like there are ibos in Akure and Zungeru
Re: Why the Yoruba Nation is not seeking for secession by raumdeuter: 9:04pm On Dec 06, 2015
YoundDoctor:

What's counter in it?

How convenient

When the British wanted to give us independence Awo insisted on a confederation Azikwe insisted on one Nigeria

After Akintola schemed ibos out of the national politics by aligning with NPC ibo soldiers staged a coup to kill every regional leaders except theirs

There are 4 regions in Nigeria and 4 premiers. The plotters killed all premiers that were not ibo

They killed the prime minister and spared the president who is Ibo

Ironsi another ibo took over and created a unitary system of govt

So you can't want Nigeria when you want and just decide you don't want it again

Ibo helped create the Nigeria the way it is now and if they want to leave they should start by leaving other regions and moving to their own place

6 Likes

Re: Why the Yoruba Nation is not seeking for secession by paramakina202: 9:06pm On Dec 06, 2015
Adesege:
My attention has been drawn to a post by sweetguy25 on why the Yoruba Nation and/or hausa are more interested in Nigeria.

Firstly, the writer has stated obvious reasons why Yoruba and or Hausa should separate from Nigeria. Having stated Lagos as the hub of commercial activities of Nigeria, you will agree with me that Yoruba will be better off not being a part of Nigeria after all.

Let me quickly state some facts here, I'm not inciting any tribe against each other with this post but I think it will be better I put the records straight on why the Yoruba nation is silent.

The Yoruba nation is made up of intelligent people from all works of life who knows their left from their right.

According to articles on the 1967 civil war, what led to the agitation of Biafra is nothing but greed, lust after power, among others. The igbos want to be at the helm of affairs by all means and cos they were not given the chance, they seek for secession.

Bishop Kukah once said in a public lecture, after he asked a friend who was in the military in the US how coup is plot and I quote "... The idea of a coup could come from an individual who might then sell it to another very close friend. It is hard to know whom to trust so you have to know how to send out feelers. So, for example, you meet a friend and you ask, how are things? And he says, well, my brother, country hard. You could go on and say something like, how can things be so bad? Will we continue like this? It is really terrible. Then you watch and see or hear his reaction. If he is of the same feeling of frustration, then you know that he is a good material and you go from there ..."

This outrightly explains the agitation of Biafra.

Chimanmada Adichie, in her book Half of a yellow sun, acknowledged that Ojukwu never had the ammunitions to fight the war. The people thought he had everything planned until they saw that he was as clueless as they themselves. No offences meant. Also, the people, having returned from Kano empty handed, gave the little they had to the military and the military encouraged it.

The Yoruba Nation, not out of fear, knows that any secession will lead to war and cos we are peace loving and educated, we ruled secession out. It will cost the Yoruba nation nothing to break outta Nigeria but of what usefulness will that be?

The Northerners, according to what I read, were not happy with the amalgamation of the Northern and Southern protectorates from start. They opposed it, that was why power was handed over to them to woo them.

The South-South also has every reason to stand alone but they are not greedy after all. They own 90% of revenues at the federal level yet they never bragged. The South East are trying to woo them to be part of Biafra yet this people never accepted. They understand history will repeat itself.

Bishop Kukah theory or the military theory on coup is like moving in a circle. The second unseats the first, the third unseats the second, and it just goes on.

God bless Nigeria

CC: lalasticlala

First thread https://www.nairaland.com/2783835/reasons-why-yorubas-hausas-very
According to aticles on the 1967 civil war,What led to agitation of Biafra is nothing but greed-OP.

Op the indiscriminate killing of tens of thousands of Igbo civilians in the north and other places with the support of federal government means nothing to you but greed?Make you fear God oh.
Re: Why the Yoruba Nation is not seeking for secession by Adesege(m): 9:20pm On Dec 06, 2015
paramakina202:

According to aticles on the 1967 civil war,What led to agitation of Biafra is nothing but greed-OP.

Op the indiscriminate killing of tens of thousands of Igbo civilians in the north and other places with the support of federal government means nothing to you but greed?Make you fear God oh.

One of the character in a movie, Iris, said something. He said, in politics, everything has been planned before hand. What you see is just the actualization of the plan.

What I'm saying in essence is that, the killings of the 1966 failed coup was what led to the 1967 civil war.

Raumdeuter has explained that. You can scroll up to read what he has to say.
Re: Why the Yoruba Nation is not seeking for secession by raumdeuter: 9:46pm On Dec 06, 2015
paramakina202:

What led to the killing of Ibo civilians in the North?

The answer is Ibo soldiers killing other regional leaders while sparing theirs

If you kill peoples leaders then you deserve anything that happens to you

3 Likes

Re: Why the Yoruba Nation is not seeking for secession by OBAGADAFFI: 9:57pm On Dec 06, 2015
The funny part of the whole drama is that Yoruba's will benefit from the either the union or break up of Nigeria.

The only region that can compete with the (SW)Yoruba in terms of resources is the SS.

We both have access to the land and sea Borders
We both huge minerals resources

The only thing the SS lack is peace due to their heterogeneous Society.
And that's the advantage of the SW.

But the Yoruba's are not agitating .

3 Likes

Re: Why the Yoruba Nation is not seeking for secession by kingzizzy: 9:59pm On Dec 06, 2015
[b] I was actually waiting for the guy who started this thread to say why the Yorubas do not want to secede. He ended up saying nothing

"The Yoruba Nation, not out of fear, knows that any secession will lead to war and cos we are peace loving and educated, we ruled secession out. It will cost the Yoruba nation nothing to break outta Nigeria but of what usefulness will that be?"

Just look at what this guy wrote above. Yoruba secession will lead to war? Who is going to fight who? Will an Igbo man like me fight to keep a Yorubas in 'one Nigeria'? Will the minorities of Southern Nigeria fight to keep Yorubas in Nigeria? Only the North might fight to keep Yorubas in Nigeria. Basically, the Yoruba nation have suspended their right to self determination because of their fear of the North. They remember Biafra and how the Igbos lost millions of souls and they don't want to pay that high price for their own sovereing nation. They don't have the backbone to fight the Northerners like Igbos did in the Biafran war. I can understand all this as an Igbo man.

I just hope the Yorubas now understand why most Igbos consider them unrepentant cowards
[/b]

2 Likes

Re: Why the Yoruba Nation is not seeking for secession by paramakina202: 10:03pm On Dec 06, 2015
raumdeuter:

What led to the killing of Ibo civilians in the North?

The answer is Ibo soldiers killing other regional leaders while sparing theirs

If you kill peoples leaders then you deserve anything that happens to you
Are you yoruba?if you are what did you do to those who killed your regional leader Fajuyi,oh you were too afraid,scared and intimidated to even blame his killers.Cowards!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why the Yoruba Nation is not seeking for secession by Nobody: 10:07pm On Dec 06, 2015
Adesege:

Let me quickly state some facts here, I'm not inciting any tribe against each other with this post but I think it will be better I put the records straight on why the Yoruba nation is silent.

The Yoruba nation is made up of intelligent people from all works of life who knows their left from their right.

According to articles on the 1967 civil war, what led to the agitation of Biafra is nothing but greed, lust after power, among others. The igbos want to be at the helm of affairs by all means and cos they were not given the chance, they seek for secession.

Bishop Kukah once said in a public lecture, after he asked a friend who was in the military in the US how coup is plot and I quote "... The idea of a coup could come from an individual who might then sell it to another very close friend. It is hard to know whom to trust so you have to know how to send out feelers. So, for example, you meet a friend and you ask, how are things? And he says, well, my brother, country hard. You could go on and say something like, how can things be so bad? Will we continue like this? It is really terrible. Then you watch and see or hear his reaction. If he is of the same feeling of frustration, then you know that he is a good material and you go from there ..."

This outrightly explains the agitation of Biafra.

Chimanmada Adichie, in her book Half of a yellow sun, acknowledged that Ojukwu never had the ammunitions to fight the war. The people thought he had everything planned until they saw that he was as clueless as they themselves. No offences meant. Also, the people, having returned from Kano empty handed, gave the little they had to the military and the military encouraged it.

The Yoruba Nation, not out of fear, knows that any secession will lead to war and cos we are peace loving and educated, we ruled secession out. It will cost the Yoruba nation nothing to break outta Nigeria but of what usefulness will that be?

The Northerners, according to what I read, were not happy with the amalgamation of the Northern and Southern protectorates from start. They opposed it, that was why power was handed over to them to woo them.

The South-South also has every reason to stand alone but they are not greedy after all. They own 90% of revenues at the federal level yet they never bragged. The South East are trying to woo them to be part of Biafra yet this people never accepted. They understand history will repeat itself.

Bishop Kukah theory or the military theory on coup is like moving in a circle. The second unseats the first, the third unseats the second, and it just goes on.

God bless Nigeria

It doesn't take a second to detect a speech from a Yoruba man.
Baseless speech filled with Cowardice.

Point of correction, education wise, igbos are a thousand miles ahead of Yoruba people as at 1967..................Same case today.
Re: Why the Yoruba Nation is not seeking for secession by Nobody: 10:12pm On Dec 06, 2015
Adesege:

I've also read many versions of the war but these stories never failed to mention that it was the 1966 failed coup that escalated to the civil war.

They never failed to mention how Nzwogwu led other Soldiers into Sir Ahmadu Bello's official residence. How they killed all the Northerners there leaving the top igbo officials.

It's not a Yoruba thing. I've noticed that the Igbos always twist history to favour them.
How do igbos twist history to favour them?
I did mention about the first coup in my write up.
the question I want to ask is was Ojukwu part of the coup.
are you aware that Ojukwu being the military governor of the then Eastern region was part of the federal government and that when the killings abated in July 1966,Gowon assured Ojukwu that there will be no more killings and that who obeyed Ojukwu and returned back to their jobs were later killed in September 1966.
why do you people twist the fact the secession was not made for safety reasons but for oil.why?

1 Like

Re: Why the Yoruba Nation is not seeking for secession by Nobody: 10:15pm On Dec 06, 2015
Adesege:

Nzeogwu was born to igbo parents who hail from Delta. He was born in Kaduna

Ifeajuna is an Igbo from Onitsha, he was a science graduate frim the University College of Ibadan and became involved in politics, later joining the military.

There is something interesting about Ifeajuna, just like Judas Iscariot, he was executed following a plot to agree a ceasefire with Nigeria and overthrow Emeka Ojukwu.

I thought u people said delta is not igbo grin grin grin
Re: Why the Yoruba Nation is not seeking for secession by Nobody: 10:17pm On Dec 06, 2015
Adesege:

I'm a true Ondo man.

Some years ago, I was told there are some urhobo living in Ondo, I couldn't believe. Actually, it was a female friend of mine who said she hails from Ondo, yet she's not Yoruba. Until she explained to me that there are some urhobo in Ondo, before I got to know.

There is what we call migration.

Nzeogwu parents hail from Delta and they are Igbo.

Don't let us mix it up

It has nothing to do with migration. Wen obj was creating states, he added urhobo land to ondo state so that they can become oil producing
Re: Why the Yoruba Nation is not seeking for secession by jstbeinhonest(m): 10:19pm On Dec 06, 2015
chuna1985:

Point of correction, education wise, igbos are a thousand miles ahead of Yoruba people as at 1967..................Same case today.

Typical of chuna....keep bragging.
Re: Why the Yoruba Nation is not seeking for secession by Nobody: 10:24pm On Dec 06, 2015
Adesege:

The 1966 coup did not cause the Nigerian civil war. Initial hatred n jealousy the northerners had for igbos n the Yoruba pipo also was a major factor.

Neogwu dem tried a blood letting revolution n it failed n they were arrested n jailed.

Many months later a coup came n claimed the life of Aguiyi but it didn't stop there, 185 igbo officers in the military were singled out n killed. It didn't end at that, northerners slaughtered igbos n SS on a daily basis for 10 months.......It now led to the war. Ojukwu tried so many times to avert that war to no avail
Re: Why the Yoruba Nation is not seeking for secession by naijalander: 10:25pm On Dec 06, 2015
kingzizzy:
[b] I was actually waiting for the guy who started this thread to say why the Yorubas do not want to secede. He ended up saying nothing

"The Yoruba Nation, not out of fear, knows that any secession will lead to war and cos we are peace loving and educated, we ruled secession out. It will cost the Yoruba nation nothing to break outta Nigeria but of what usefulness will that be?"

Just look at what this guy wrote above. Yoruba secession will lead to war? Who is going to fight who? Will an Igbo man like me fight to keep a Yorubas in 'one Nigeria'? Will the minorities of Southern a Nigeria fight to keep Yorubas in Nigeria? Only the North might fight to keep Yorubas in Nigeria. Basically, the Yoruba nation have suspended their right to self determination because of their fear of the North. They remember Biafra and how the Igbos lost millions of souls and they don't want to pay that high price for their own sovereing nation. They don't have the backbone to fight the Northerners like Igbos did in the Biafran war. I can understand all this as an Igbo man.

I just hope the Yorubas now understand why most Igbos consider them unrepentant cowards
[/b]

You are not making any sense the message in the post is simple, seceeded or not the SW will still do well, the region endured 16 years of conflict in the 19th Century. As far as am concerned it is foolish for anytribe to over play its importance in Nigeria, interdependence is what keeps us together.
What you call cowardice is called wisdom, the Northnand the SW have been in contact before any Igbo man ever spoke Yoruba, the relationship has always been feudal not master slave like you imagine. You cannot understand the SW becuase you are shallow minded and blinded by ethnicentrism, there are Yoruba Muslims, there are Yoruba Christians all with rights to be who they want to be, it is not anyone's fault that your founding fathers in modern Nigeria left a legacy of war and violence.

1 Like

Re: Why the Yoruba Nation is not seeking for secession by raumdeuter: 10:26pm On Dec 06, 2015
paramakina202:
Are you yoruba?if you are what did you do to those who killed your regional leader Fajuyi,oh you were too afraid,scared and intimidated to even blame his killers.Cowards!

I am Yoruba. Fajuyi was a military man killed in a military putsch. Fajuyi was never voted in by anyone. Akintola, Bello and Balewa were civilians voted in by the people and some never do well Ibo sons chose to kill them and the Northern people who voted Bello and Balewa in decided to also take the law into their hands just like Ifeajuna, Onwuatugbu and Nzeogwu did
Re: Why the Yoruba Nation is not seeking for secession by sanmibukunmi: 10:28pm On Dec 06, 2015
tired of all this topics sef......

next please

1 Like

Re: Why the Yoruba Nation is not seeking for secession by raumdeuter: 10:29pm On Dec 06, 2015
chuna1985:

I thought u people said delta is not igbo grin grin grin

So because some Ibo people are from Delta means Delta is Ibo

You know some Yoruba people are from Benin Republic, so that means Benin republic is Yoruba

Some Yoruba people are from Edo/Kogi that means Edo/Kogi is Yoruba
Re: Why the Yoruba Nation is not seeking for secession by naijalander: 10:30pm On Dec 06, 2015
chuna1985:

Please explain to me how Igbos are ahead of Yorubas in terms of education.
Re: Why the Yoruba Nation is not seeking for secession by Nobody: 10:38pm On Dec 06, 2015
naijalander:

Please explain to me how Igbos are ahead of Yorubas in terms of education.

This matter has been dealt with n dusted on nairaland more than 2 times, u can search for the thread here on nairaland.

Imo state have the highest number of professors in nigeria.

Total number of waec applicants annually for the last 10 years are dominated by igbos, followed by SS n Yoruba is third.

SE have highest number of university n polytechnic graduates in nigeria.

SE perform best in Federal common entrance for unity schools, they have the highest cut off Mark's.

SE produce the highest total number of jamb applicants yearly for over 10 years now.

The only time Yorubas were ahead of igbos education wise was after the war. Let's say between 1970 n 1995.

It's a clear fact, facts ain't propaganda
Re: Why the Yoruba Nation is not seeking for secession by naijalander: 10:43pm On Dec 06, 2015
chuna1985:

This matter has been dealt with n dusted on nairaland more than 2 times, u can search for the thread here on nairaland.

Imo state have the highest number of professors in nigeria.

Total number of waec applicants annually for the last 10 years are dominated by igbos, followed by SS n Yoruba is third.

SE have highest number of university n polytechnic graduates in nigeria.

SE perform best in Federal common entrance for unity schools, they have the highest cut off Mark's.

SE produce the highest total number of jamb applicants yearly for over 10 years now.

The only time Yorubas were ahead of igbos education wise was after the war. Let's say between 1970 n 1995.

It's a clear fact, facts ain't propaganda

Ok y ou have stated all these facts.
First of all this only proves that you have that the SE has more applicants and graduates as far as quality of education goes you are mught as well be joking to think the SE is more educated than the SW. It is one thing to graduate and another thing to be skilled. I am not saying the SW is more educated but it certainly is not less educated than the SE.
Re: Why the Yoruba Nation is not seeking for secession by Nobody: 11:06pm On Dec 06, 2015
naijalander:

Ok y ou have stated all these facts.
First of all this only proves that you have that the SE has more applicants and graduates as far as quality of education goes you are mught as well be joking to think the SE is more educated than the SW. It is one thing to graduate and another thing to be skilled. I am not saying the SW is more educated but it certainly is not less educated than the SE.

IGBOS can never be compared with Yoruba brain wise, skill wise, education wise.
Re: Why the Yoruba Nation is not seeking for secession by naijalander: 11:10pm On Dec 06, 2015
chuna1985:

IGBOS can never be compared with Yoruba brain wise, skill wise, education wise.

You sound like Adolph Hitler and I maintain my stance, all human beings are capable of feats of interllect . What the Igbo has and can do, the Yoruba has done and can also do.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

DSS Are Rascals; Fayose Storms Aso Villa, Clashes With Buhari... / Buhari Gives Marching Order To Sack Amaechi, Fashola, Others / TwitterBan: How Will That Prince Send That Money Now? - Americans Mock Nigerians

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 125
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.