Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,433 members, 7,830,175 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 05:18 PM

Why the Yoruba Nation is not seeking for secession - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why the Yoruba Nation is not seeking for secession (5566 Views)

Biafra: Aisha Buhari, Igbo Women Say No To Calls For Secession / Biafra: INEC Speaks On Calls For Secession, Election Boycott / Economy: Buhari Not Seeking Emergency Powers- Presidency (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why the Yoruba Nation is not seeking for secession by Nobody: 11:14pm On Dec 06, 2015
naijalander:

You sound like Adolph Hitler and I maintain my stance, all human beings are capable of feats of interllect . What the Igbo has and can do, the Yoruba has done and can also do.

Yes all humans are capable of feats of intellects, but some are ahead of the others.

That's all.
Re: Why the Yoruba Nation is not seeking for secession by naijalander: 11:16pm On Dec 06, 2015
chuna1985:

Yes all humans are capable of feats of intellects, but some are ahead of the others.

That's all.

What do Igbos enjoy that Yorubas do not enjoy?
Re: Why the Yoruba Nation is not seeking for secession by Nobody: 11:23pm On Dec 06, 2015
naijalander:

What do Igbos enjoy that Yorubas do not enjoy?

Check great technocrats in nigeriA since 1999...the ones that have worked for white house, IMF, World bank, etc...............They are all igbos n No yoruba
Re: Why the Yoruba Nation is not seeking for secession by 7lives: 11:33pm On Dec 06, 2015
raumdeuter:

How convenient

When the British wanted to give us independence Awo insisted on a confederation Azikwe insisted on one Nigeria

After Akintola schemed ibos out of the national politics by aligning with NPC ibo soldiers staged a coup to kill every regional leaders except theirs

There are 4 regions in Nigeria and 4 premiers. The plotters killed all premiers that were not ibo

They killed the prime minister and spared the president who is Ibo

Ironsi another ibo took over and created a unitary system of govt

So you can't want Nigeria when you want and just decide you don't want it again

Ibo helped create the Nigeria the way it is now and if they want to leave they should start by leaving other regions and moving to their own place

You think they don't know about this? they are now the big for nothing tribe of Nigeria because they don't want to accept responsibility for the way things have turn out for them in Nigeria.
Can you imagnie those who ran away from their village blaming others for the under development of Alaigbo grin grin grin grin grin grin these people are jokers.
Re: Why the Yoruba Nation is not seeking for secession by naijalander: 11:40pm On Dec 06, 2015
chuna1985:

Check great technocrats in nigeriA since 1999...the ones that have worked for white house, IMF, World bank, etc...............They are all igbos n No yoruba

So you really wanna argue that there are no Yorubas in the IMF, World Bank or White House as if it actually matters.
I don't even know why am arguing with you, good night sir.
Re: Why the Yoruba Nation is not seeking for secession by paramakina202: 11:44pm On Dec 06, 2015
raumdeuter:

I am Yoruba. Fajuyi was a military man killed in a military putsch. Fajuyi was never voted in by anyone. Akintola, Bello and Balewa were civilians voted in by the people and some never do well Ibo sons chose to kill them and the Northern people who voted Bello and Balewa in decided to also take the law into their hands just like Ifeajuna, Onwuatugbu and Nzeogwu did
Two faced Yoruba man.Coup is coup whether against military or civilian government.
BTW ,why didn't you retaliate the killing of Akintola since Fajuyi was a military man and deserves to die.You still a bleeping Coward!
Re: Why the Yoruba Nation is not seeking for secession by 7lives: 12:01am On Dec 07, 2015
kingzizzy:
[b] I was actually waiting for the guy who started this thread to say why the Yorubas do not want to secede. He ended up saying nothing

"The Yoruba Nation, not out of fear, knows that any secession will lead to war and cos we are peace loving and educated, we ruled secession out. It will cost the Yoruba nation nothing to break outta Nigeria but of what usefulness will that be?"

Just look at what this guy wrote above. Yoruba secession will lead to war? Who is going to fight who? Will an Igbo man like me fight to keep a Yorubas in 'one Nigeria'? Will the minorities of Southern a Nigeria fight to keep Yorubas in Nigeria? Only the North might fight to keep Yorubas in Nigeria. Basically, the Yoruba nation have suspended their right to self determination because of their fear of the North. They remember Biafra and how the Igbos lost millions of souls and they don't want to pay that high price for their own sovereing nation. They don't have the backbone to fight the Northerners like Igbos did in the Biafran war. I can understand all this as an Igbo man.

I just hope the Yorubas now understand why most Igbos consider them unrepentant cowards
[/b]

Yes we are cowards at least we don't wake up to moan about 2 million wasted lives and marginalization, if Yorubas did not learn anything from a 100 years of Yoruba civil war that led to our people being carried away as slaves to foreign lands then WE ARE FOOLS.
So call us any despicable names you can think, of as long as YOU CANNOT DRAG US DOWN WITH YOU we are ok with it after all " NA YOU GET YOUR MOUTH ".
We love Nigeria because Nigerians loved us, can't you see that since independence SW had the magic wand? ask JP Clark and Cyprian Ekwensi.

3 Likes

Re: Why the Yoruba Nation is not seeking for secession by paramakina202: 1:07am On Dec 07, 2015
raumdeuter:

They are our masters just like we are your masters

Have you researched your peoples history to find out the role Benjmamin Adekunle played in your peoples history? He was credioted with taking 3million of your people everything that walked and those that didnt in your village can attest to his shooting accuracy

Lets do a test. Go to your village elders meeting and shout "Black Scorpion is coming". Watch the way the lame would start running
Adekunle was a miserable nigerian war criminal.he did not fight the war in his capacity as a yoruba war lord,fact.
His masters dismissed him from the army as soon as they found out he was useless.
Re: Why the Yoruba Nation is not seeking for secession by Adesege(m): 1:10am On Dec 07, 2015
kingzizzy:
[b] I was actually waiting for the guy who started this thread to say why the Yorubas do not want to secede. He ended up saying nothing

"The Yoruba Nation, not out of fear, knows that any secession will lead to war and cos we are peace loving and educated, we ruled secession out. It will cost the Yoruba nation nothing to break outta Nigeria but of what usefulness will that be?"

Just look at what this guy wrote above. Yoruba secession will lead to war? Who is going to fight who? Will an Igbo man like me fight to keep a Yorubas in 'one Nigeria'? Will the minorities of Southern a Nigeria fight to keep Yorubas in Nigeria? Only the North might fight to keep Yorubas in Nigeria. Basically, the Yoruba nation have suspended their right to self determination because of their fear of the North. They remember Biafra and how the Igbos lost millions of souls and they don't want to pay that high price for their own sovereing nation. They don't have the backbone to fight the Northerners like Igbos did in the Biafran war. I can understand all this as an Igbo man.

I just hope the Yorubas now understand why most Igbos consider them unrepentant cowards
[/b]

You got it wrong.

When i said it will lead to war, i meant a replica of the 1967 civil war.

You need to understand that we are not cowards as you portray.

Everyone is blinded by the civil war but no one has ever thought of what led to the civil war.

When the Igbos planned a coup that killed Sir Ahmadu Bello, 'Master', in Half of a Yellow sun and other Igbos were all rejoicing.

Until the northerners struck, they called them evil. They said the North started it first.

From the beginning, Biafra was founded on greed, and lust for power.

A brief look into the history will do you good.
Re: Why the Yoruba Nation is not seeking for secession by Adesege(m): 1:14am On Dec 07, 2015
chuna1985:

I thought u people said delta is not igbo grin grin grin

It doesnt mean all Deltans are Igbo.
Re: Why the Yoruba Nation is not seeking for secession by okongo(m): 1:22am On Dec 07, 2015
trapQ:
O.P stop patronising yourself. The only region that can stand on its own is the SS. the Yoruba nation has ONLY Lagos. And of course Lagos is the former capital of Nigeria which is the reason for the status it has today. And even that Lagos is far from sustainable.

What will the Yoruba nation lose?? Oil allocations. plus poor sea freight returns. A lot more too.
a dog that will be list will not hear hunters whistle. hope you know that the largest deposit of bitumen is in ondo state and there is oil in lagos and ondo. yorubas think more of solutions than creating problems.
Re: Why the Yoruba Nation is not seeking for secession by OAFMods: 1:40am On Dec 07, 2015
chuna1985:

The 1966 coup did not cause the Nigerian civil war. Initial hatred n jealousy the northerners had for igbos n the Yoruba pipo also was a major factor.

Neogwu dem tried a blood letting revolution n it failed n they were arrested n jailed.

Many months later a coup came n claimed the life of Aguiyi but it didn't stop there, 185 igbo officers in the military were singled out n killed. It didn't end at that, northerners slaughtered igbos n SS on a daily basis for 10 months.......It now led to the war. Ojukwu tried so many times to avert that war to no avail
Why fly no go support sshit ? Ojukwu tried so hard to prevent the war like Kanu is doing now when shit hit the fence you igbos will blame everyone else but yourself.
Re: Why the Yoruba Nation is not seeking for secession by trapQ: 5:26am On Dec 07, 2015
what has dog or bitumen got to do with this? you don't argue like an intellectual fellow. How much revenue has bitumen generated to the Nigerian govt so far?

Okay, with all your bitumen, where is Ondo state today? where is the SW today?

like I said earlier, every country has its Natural resources. decades ago, our leaders bragged that Nigeria would be too great and rich because of oil but where are we today. Talk about the facts on ground, not what's in your imagination.
okongo:

a dog that will be list will not hear hunters whistle. hope you know that the largest deposit of bitumen is in ondo state and there is oil in lagos and ondo. yorubas think more of solutions than creating problems.
Re: Why the Yoruba Nation is not seeking for secession by Nobody: 5:59am On Dec 07, 2015
101percent:
Just as I anticipated

Rubbish write up

Is funny dat whenever it comes to Biafra
SS will cease to be igbos

But whenever it comes to criticism a NZEOGWU led coup will become Igbo led Coup
Last time I checked dey re from SS

4 God sakes
What do u wants from igbos.
igbo were the beneficiaries of the coup, that's why it is termed an ibo coup. Or was it a SS man tha became president and filled all parastatals with ibos after the coup?

Why weren't ibo leaders killed like it was done to the other regions? Why did the ibos celebrate the coup in kano and other northern states with flyers and songs recorded to mock the northerners? Pls don't tell me it wasn't an ibo coup.
trapQ:
O.P stop patronising yourself. The only region that can stand on its own is the SS. the Yoruba nation has ONLY Lagos. And of course Lagos is the former capital of Nigeria which is the reason for the status it has today. And even that Lagos is far from sustainable.

What will the Yoruba nation lose?? Oil allocations. plus poor sea freight returns. A lot more too.
pls what do the ibos have? Sea, land, agriculture,
Re: Why the Yoruba Nation is not seeking for secession by trapQ: 6:05am On Dec 07, 2015
NONE. except the coal they keep bragging about in Enugu. Make no mistakes, Igbo is strictly SE. Just like the Yoruba's and Hausas , the igbos will lose drastically if Nigeria secedes because they've added little or nothing to our treasury. The oil they keep whining is less than 2% the total produced in Nigeria.
bloodyBLOGGER:
igbo were the beneficiaries of the coup, that's why it is termed an ibo coup. Or was it a SS man tha became president and filled all parastatals with ibos after the coup?

Why weren't ibo leaders killed like it was done to the other regions? Why did the ibos celebrate the coup in kano and other northern states with flyers and songs recorded to mock the northerners? Pls don't tell me it wasn't an ibo coup. pls what do the ibos have? Sea, land, agriculture,

1 Like

Re: Why the Yoruba Nation is not seeking for secession by Nobody: 6:12am On Dec 07, 2015
Princewill1:
Yorubas want "one Nigeria" so that the igbos will remain in it to minimize the influence of Hausa-Fulani in Yorubaland.

Let igbos secede today and come back here tomorrow to see if any yoruba man will shout "One Nigeria" again.

Don't mind them!

Yoruba's r so scared of Muslim Hausa Fulani n their terrorist ways that they want "quiet" christian Igbo in their one Nigeria as a buffer. They r at the same time annoyed at Igbo overbearing attitude that they see the HausaFulanis presence as a necessary evil to Igbo attitude.

Hausa Fulani wants one Nigeria because they need the Igbo to be saving their asses from one kind of backwardness (7th century type) they have never seen before since they do not want to go to school so as to retain their Islamic faith but they need Yoruba to serve as a buffer to Igbo christian "madness" as its an extension of their Islamic caliphate.

What do Igbo get from these two pple groups? Instead of these pple to treat the Igbo with love and as gold there is hatred, more hatred, ever more display of hatred, exploitation of resources(both have control over Eastern n Southern oil wells, rarely employ our sons in them n when they do, they victimize them[the very children of the natural owners of the oil wells in the SE]----just imagine!), human rights abuse, endless HausaFulani n muslim orchestrated murders(without the perpetrators ever brought to justice) etc.
We are always at the receiving end of everything n serve as their scapegoats despite it being that we in practice are the actual upholders of team "one Nigeria".

The Yoruba's uphold their negative culture over Nigerian constitution(how can they still be looking for ababoku to kill n send to the great beyond with their king in this 21st century?) and the HausaFulani uphold their religion over the Nigerian constitution(refusing to stop paedophilia, numerous childbearing) yet they force Igbo through the supreme court to give up their own negative cultural practices (OSU, female circumcision, the practise of Igbo females not inheriting anything upon the demise of their fathers).

In essence they are gradually Yorubalizing and Islamizing Nigeria and the Igbo's one day will find it too difficult(with its forced over westernization by the supreme court) to cope with all these.

Isn't the reason why we are team "one Nigeria" supposed to be to help each other overcome our negative cultural n religious practises that kept our ancestors shackled n backward for ages to the extent that the white man left them behind?

Yet they prefer to be ever backward than move forward. mtschew.

1 Like

Re: Why the Yoruba Nation is not seeking for secession by Nobody: 7:05am On Dec 07, 2015
OAFMods:
Why fly no go support sshit ? Ojukwu tried so hard to prevent the war like Kanu is doing now when shit hit the fence you igbos will blame everyone else but yourself.

Dont twist things, I never called Nnamdi Kalu, I'm talking about Ojukwu. He tried so hard to avoid this war but north n Yoruba really needed it.
Re: Why the Yoruba Nation is not seeking for secession by Nobody: 7:50am On Dec 07, 2015
chuna1985:

Dont twist things, I never called Nnamdi Kalu, I'm talking about Ojukwu. He tried so hard to avoid this war but north n Yoruba really needed it.
pls read the below thread.

www.nairaland.com/2319654/biafra-facts-fiction
Re: Why the Yoruba Nation is not seeking for secession by Nobody: 8:20am On Dec 07, 2015
bloodyBLOGGER:
pls read the below thread.

www.nairaland.com/2319654/biafra-facts-fiction

Who wrote that trash

I'm dead sure u have not read chinua achebes there was a country.
Re: Why the Yoruba Nation is not seeking for secession by Nobody: 8:31am On Dec 07, 2015
chuna1985:

Who wrote that trash

I'm dead sure u have not read chinua achebes there was a country.
you mean the account written by a man suffering from awophobia?

1 Like

Re: Why the Yoruba Nation is not seeking for secession by kingzizzy: 9:07am On Dec 07, 2015
Adesege:

You got it wrong.

When i said it will lead to war, i meant a replica of the 1967 civil war.

You need to understand that we are not cowards as you portray.

Everyone is blinded by the civil war but no one has ever thought of what led to the civil war.

When the Igbos planned a coup that killed Sir Ahmadu Bello, 'Master', in Half of a Yellow sun and other Igbos were all rejoicing.

Until the northerners struck, they called them evil. They said the North started it first.

From the beginning, Biafra was founded on greed, and lust for power.

A brief look into the history will do you good.

[b] You obviously don't Nigerian history. You don't even know what led to the war. Do you know that Igbos were butchered in 1945? Do you know they were killed again in 1953? Do you think think that Nigeria was a peaceful and happy place and Igbos just got up and conducted a coup? The 1964 elections brought mayhem and violence on Nigeria, even Awolowo was charged with treason and locked up. This spilled over into 1965 as rampant killings was the order of the day. That is why certain soldiers under Nzeogwu decided to strike in January of 1966. One of the ring leaders of that coup was a Yoruba man called Major Ademoyega. Not even Nzeogwu who led the coup had any interest in taking over Government. What led to the war was the insatiable greed of the North for Oil and power. The North had already conducted their own counter coup, installed Gowon. Why did Gowon decide to turn his back on the Aburi agreement he signed with Ojukwu? This is question is what people should ask Gowon. Another baffling question the Yoruba nation should ask themselves is why they let Northerners ride over them all the time? The Yorubas witnessed these Northerners slaughter over 50,000 easterners in 1966 but still the Yorubas thought "these Northeners are the best to be in Nigeria with". Really? The Yorubas say 'Lagos is our land' but it is from this same Lagos that the Northerners controlled and ran Nigeria to the ground for many years. On two different occassions, the Northerners denied the Yorubas the presidency but the Yorubas did nothing. Today, the historic Yoruba city of Ilorin has become a Nothern Nigeian emirate with a sitting Hausa/Fulani Emir. Why did Yorubas condone all of this if not cowardice? The Yoruba man is even the biggest critic of the Igbos and Ojukwu who stood up to Northern domination. I don't expect everyone to be brave. I don't expect everone to have the spine or backbone to fight for their right. What I expect is for people to start telling themselves the truth. There isn't an Igbo man alive who doesn't think that the Yoruba man is born bred coward [/b]

1 Like

Re: Why the Yoruba Nation is not seeking for secession by kingzizzy: 9:30am On Dec 07, 2015
naijalander:

You are not making any sense the message in the post is simple, seceeded or not the SW will still do well, the region endured 16 years of conflict in the 19th Century. As far as am concerned it is foolish for anytribe to over play its importance in Nigeria, interdependence is what keeps us together.
What you call cowardice is called wisdom, the Northnand the SW have been in contact before any Igbo man ever spoke Yoruba, the relationship has always been feudal not master slave like you imagine. You cannot understand the SW becuase you are shallow minded and blinded by ethnicentrism, there are Yoruba Muslims, there are Yoruba Christians all with rights to be who they want to be, it is not anyone's fault that your founding fathers in modern Nigeria left a legacy of war and violence.

Let me tell you something. You have no wisdom if you have no sovereignty. In every war, there is one group fighting for their sovereingty on one side and another group fighting to take that sovereinghty away. Who do you think was fighting for what in the Nigerian/Biafran war?
Re: Why the Yoruba Nation is not seeking for secession by meccuno: 10:40am On Dec 07, 2015
[s]
Adesege:

Let me quickly state some facts here, I'm not inciting any tribe against each other with this post but I think it will be better I put the records straight on why the Yoruba nation is silent.

The Yoruba nation is made up of intelligent people from all works of life who knows their left from their right.

According to articles on the 1967 civil war, what led to the agitation of Biafra is nothing but greed, lust after power, among others. The igbos want to be at the helm of affairs by all means and cos they were not given the chance, they seek for secession.

Bishop Kukah once said in a public lecture, after he asked a friend who was in the military in the US how coup is plot and I quote "... The idea of a coup could come from an individual who might then sell it to another very close friend. It is hard to know whom to trust so you have to know how to send out feelers. So, for example, you meet a friend and you ask, how are things? And he says, well, my brother, country hard. You could go on and say something like, how can things be so bad? Will we continue like this? It is really terrible. Then you watch and see or hear his reaction. If he is of the same feeling of frustration, then you know that he is a good material and you go from there ..."

This outrightly explains the agitation of Biafra.

Chimanmada Adichie, in her book Half of a yellow sun, acknowledged that Ojukwu never had the ammunitions to fight the war. The people thought he had everything planned until they saw that he was as clueless as they themselves. No offences meant. Also, the people, having returned from Kano empty handed, gave the little they had to the military and the military encouraged it.

The Yoruba Nation, not out of fear, knows that any secession will lead to war and cos we are peace loving and educated, we ruled secession out. It will cost the Yoruba nation nothing to break outta Nigeria but of what usefulness will that be?

The Northerners, according to what I read, were not happy with the amalgamation of the Northern and Southern protectorates from start. They opposed it, that was why power was handed over to them to woo them.

The South-South also has every reason to stand alone but they are not greedy after all. They own 90% of revenues at the federal level yet they never bragged. The South East are trying to woo them to be part of Biafra yet this people never accepted. They understand history will repeat itself.

Bishop Kukah theory or the military theory on coup is like moving in a circle. The second unseats the first, the third unseats the second, and it just goes on.

God bless Nigeria
[/s]
Re: Why the Yoruba Nation is not seeking for secession by Nobody: 10:42am On Dec 07, 2015
bloodyBLOGGER:
you mean the account written by a man suffering from awophobia?

Mr man go n read d book urself, Don't carry around dis trash analysis made by a foooool
Re: Why the Yoruba Nation is not seeking for secession by denziz: 10:51am On Dec 07, 2015
trapQ:
what has dog or bitumen got to do with this? you don't argue like an intellectual fellow. How much revenue has bitumen generated to the Nigerian govt so far?

Okay, with all your bitumen, where is Ondo state today? where is the SW today?

like I said earlier, every country has its Natural resources. decades ago, our leaders bragged that Nigeria would be too great and rich because of oil but where are we today. Talk about the facts on ground, not what's in your imagination.
Base on current statics,72% of Nigeria revenue come from oil,out of the remaining 28% non oil revenue,cocoa still account for over 70% of the revenue.What is south east bringing to the table?
Re: Why the Yoruba Nation is not seeking for secession by OBAGADAFFI: 10:58am On Dec 07, 2015
naijalander:

You are not making any sense the message in the post is simple, seceeded or not the SW will still do well, the region endured 16 years of conflict in the 19th Century. As far as am concerned it is foolish for anytribe to over play its importance in Nigeria, interdependence is what keeps us together.
What you call cowardice is called wisdom, the Northnand the SW have been in contact before any Igbo man ever spoke Yoruba, the relationship has always been feudal not master slave like you imagine. You cannot understand the SW becuase you are shallow minded and blinded by ethnicentrism, there are Yoruba Muslims, there are Yoruba Christians all with rights to be who they want to be, it is not anyone's fault that your founding fathers in modern Nigeria left a legacy of war and violence.

Leave this chest beaters alone.

The same people who are forcefully attaching themselves to the SS.

The same people the cannot confidently locate where they can have sea port.

Apart from shouting Biafra, what else have they fought for in Nigeria.

From independent till date the Yorubas are the most vocal group in Nigeria

Human Rights activist -Yorubas
Pro democracy activists - Yorubas
Social economic activists - Yorubas
Civil society- Yorubas
Politics activists - Yorubas.

The SW don't need any attachment with any group to stand alone.

We can decide to build Seaports from Badagry to Ondo, the coast is available.

We can decide to build industries all over Ogun and Oyo

We have enough Land for agriculture

We can decide to explore crude oil deposit from Lagos-Ogun-Ondo.

Give the children of hate their BIAFRA today, they will be finding their way back to the SW.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why the Yoruba Nation is not seeking for secession by trapQ: 11:04am On Dec 07, 2015
Absolutely nothing.I hope you ain't thinking I'm from the SE cuz I'm not.
denziz:
Base on current statics,72% of Nigeria revenue come from oil,out of the remaining 28% non oil revenue,cocoa still account for over 70% of the revenue.What is south east bringing to the table?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Amosun Not Involved In Any Building Demolition - Ogun State Govt. / Governor Ugwuanyi To Reconstruct Over 200 Classrooms And Several Roads / Governor Akeredolu Presents N177bn "Budget of growth" For 2020

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.