Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,721 members, 7,816,971 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:40 PM

$2b Arms: EFCC Weighs Its Options On Jonathan- The Nation - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / $2b Arms: EFCC Weighs Its Options On Jonathan- The Nation (24024 Views)

How Jonathan Reacted To The $2b Arms Procurement Scandal In Nov 2015 / Arms: EFCC May Query Sanusi Over $2.2bn Arms Probe / INEC Weighs Its Options On Kogi, Lawyers Disagree:thisday (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

$2b Arms: EFCC Weighs Its Options On Jonathan- The Nation by HungerBAD: 4:48am On Dec 07, 2015
Dokpesi ‘to account for N10b publicity vote’

Commission probes Abacha loot diversion

Will the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) invite ex-President Goodluck Jonathan to say all he knows about the controversial $2 billion arms deals?

Will the anti-graft agency take evidence from the ex-President in camera?

Will the EFCC allow its comprehensive investigations to be sufficient enough to try the suspects involved in the arms deals?

These are the options being weighed as the agency continues investigations into the armsgate.

It was learnt that more suspects have named Dr. Jonathan in the approvals and withdrawals of huge cash from the Office of the National Security Adviser (ONSA) and the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN).

The former National Security Adviser (NSA), Col. Sambo Dasuki (rtd), and the Emeritus Chairman of Daar Communication, Chief Raymond Dokpesi, claimed that they got approvals for all projects they were accused of running.

The EFCC is said to have stumbled on fresh clues that some recovered funds from the late Head of State, Gen. Sani Abacha’s family members might have been used for the arms purchase.

There were concerns last night that the votes being investigated might have been more than $2 billion.

The EFCC has asked some of the suspects to produce relevant written approvals from the ex-President on some of the expenditures.

It was learnt that some of the suspects acted on verbal approvals to carry out transactions.

“Either way, the EFCC may need to clarify a few things from the ex-President”, a source said last night. He pleaded not to be named because of the “sensitivity” of the matter.

It went on: “Some of the high-profile suspects have told us that they got approvals from the ex-President. Equity demands that we should hear from his side too.

“We are certainly weighing options to avoid any act capable of derailing these ongoing investigations. We can have audience with the ex-President in confidence; we may isolate issues for him to help us clarify in writing; he may also volunteer on his own to clear the air on a few issues through the highest quarters and we may allow our ongoing comprehensive investigations and evidence to be sufficient for prosecution. The onus will then be on the suspects to present written approvals in court.

“This is not the first time we will be investigating past presidents. We will draw our experience from the previous exercises. You know, we investigated two former heads of state and a prominent traditional ruler on the $184 million Halliburton case and none of them was invited. We handled it in a meticulous manner.”

A former member of the Federal Executive Council (FEC), said: “The ex-President has expressed doubts on some of the approvals being bandied about. I think Jonathan has a way of reaching out to the Presidency in order not to overheat the polity. He will certainly do so.”

There were hints last night that the EFCC had discovered that Dokpesi will have to account for about N10 billion votes for publicity.

A source said: ”We have been trying to reconcile records with Dokpesi and he has about N10 billion to account for.”

Apart from the payment of N2.1 billion, a highly-placed source within the Commission listed more issues against Dokpesi as follows: payment of $50 million by ex-President’s campaign organisation; alleged plot to hack into number 60959146 with Sort Code 201334 belonging to one Dr. Haggai I. Ali with Barclays Bank, Queens Road Branch and Bristol, UK; alleged indebtedness of about N3.3 billion to Fidelity Bank out of N7.5 billion; operating DAAR Communications account alone despite the fact that it is a publicly quoted firm; and over-payment of more than N8 billion for the transmission of U-17 Junior World Cup (2009) and non -payment of dividends to shareholders.

The source added: “So far, Dokpesi has to account for over N10 billion and he has been confronted with some evidence which he admitted were some of the transactions he engaged in.

“We have discovered that Dokpesi was paid N8,047,275,290.99 on January 27, 2012 through account number 2017679134 with Maitama branch of First Bank Plc. We have proof of acknowledgement by the bank on January 28, 2012.

“In spite of the fact that the technical facilities used for the World Cup belonged to NTA, Dokpesi presented a bill which varied from N5 billion to N3.5 billion between 2009 and 2010 to N8.047 billion.

“Records showed that ex-President Umaru Yar’Adua rejected the bill and the National Broadcasting Commission advised against the payment of such outrageous amount.”

Asked when the suspects will be arraigned in court, the source simply said: “Very, very soon.”

The EFCC is probing fresh clues that some funds recovered from the late Gen. Abacha’s screet accounts were diverted to arms purchase.

There are suspicions that the looted funds formed the main sources of extra-budgetary expenditures which were disbursed to some chieftains of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) for the 2015 campaign.

It was gathered that following the recovery of the looted funds, running into billions of dollars, Jonathan raised a four-man team headed by ex-Finance Minister, Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala on how to use the loot.

Although there was pressure on the committee chairperson to divert the loot to security matters, she was said to have resisted the proposal.

It was, however, gathered that the committee later recommended that 60 per cent of the Abacha loot be used for development and 40 per cent for security challenges and arms purchase.

A source said: “We are looking into fresh clues that apart from the $2 billion, some looted funds recovered from the Abachas were also diverted into the arms purchase and other security-related needs.

“There are different clues we are probing. While some alleged that the looted funds were domiciled in the ONSA, others claimed that the funds were directly managed by the Presidency.

“We may check records at the Federal Ministry of Finance accordingly on Abacha loot.”

Seun,Lalasticlacla,mynd44

http://thenationonlineng.net/2b-arms-efcc-weighs-its-options-on-jonathan/

7 Likes

Re: $2b Arms: EFCC Weighs Its Options On Jonathan- The Nation by FirstCounsel(m): 4:57am On Dec 07, 2015
Getting messier by the day.

14 Likes

Re: $2b Arms: EFCC Weighs Its Options On Jonathan- The Nation by Adaowerri111: 4:58am On Dec 07, 2015
Keep weighing options, incompetent efcc

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: $2b Arms: EFCC Weighs Its Options On Jonathan- The Nation by Badgers14: 4:58am On Dec 07, 2015
People say Jonathan is kind, gentle yada yada.... angry
Jonathan ran the most corrupt government in Nigeria's history.. Actually the difference between Abacha and Jonathan was that Abacha packed all the money for himself while Jonathan shared with his friends....
Jonathan was so stupid that he opened his own farm in Abuja while OBJ opened his at Otta at least creating jobs for his peeps... What did Jonathan do for Bayelsans as a deputy governor? Governor? Vice president? President? Let me not talk of Nigeria as a whole yet... Nothing Nothing....

Jonathan marched along instead of protesing the results of the election becuase he knew that was a fight he couldn't win...

Jonathan needs to be in kirikiri.... Why? The arms deal? The missing $20b... Ekitigate... The lists goes on my friend... grin angry angry

184 Likes 16 Shares

Re: $2b Arms: EFCC Weighs Its Options On Jonathan- The Nation by cktheluckyman: 5:00am On Dec 07, 2015
As the EFCC weighs options on GEJ,Buhari has better start weighing options on alternative sources of revenue besides oil.

BTW whether AIT was paid N8b or N10b is immaterial but whether it was paid for services rendered or not is the koko!! If he indeed provided sservices for the money then he is entitled to it.

43 Likes 5 Shares

Re: $2b Arms: EFCC Weighs Its Options On Jonathan- The Nation by Anijay1212(m): 5:01am On Dec 07, 2015
I lack words to describe how i feel right now,this people have no conscience at all and i dont think any earthly punishment is enough for their inhuman looting and blatant disregard for the common man.I pray that the present government should do the best it can for God will surely call on them to account for their stewardship.Nigeria will be great again.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: $2b Arms: EFCC Weighs Its Options On Jonathan- The Nation by Abatsam111(m): 5:04am On Dec 07, 2015
It only takes the grace of God for a Nigerian not to be hypertensive.
It seems the currency in Nigeria has been changed from Naira (#) to billion of dollars($bn)
Olorun Iwo Lakepe!

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: $2b Arms: EFCC Weighs Its Options On Jonathan- The Nation by kidgod: 5:06am On Dec 07, 2015
I don't know what to say

Modified: the person below me have said it all.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: $2b Arms: EFCC Weighs Its Options On Jonathan- The Nation by shikshark: 5:06am On Dec 07, 2015
if preparation of madness is taking 10yrs.....how long will the madness wan last.......baba buhari sharp sharp na

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: $2b Arms: EFCC Weighs Its Options On Jonathan- The Nation by kliq(m): 5:18am On Dec 07, 2015
Hero of corruption embarassed

64 Likes 3 Shares

Re: $2b Arms: EFCC Weighs Its Options On Jonathan- The Nation by kliq(m): 5:19am On Dec 07, 2015
shikshark:
if preparation of madness is taking 10yrs.....how long will the madness wan last.......baba buhari sharp sharp na
cheesy
Re: $2b Arms: EFCC Weighs Its Options On Jonathan- The Nation by MKO4ever(m): 5:20am On Dec 07, 2015
I support that Jonathan is invited for interrogation, and he must accept responsibility for the loot

13 Likes

Re: $2b Arms: EFCC Weighs Its Options On Jonathan- The Nation by Paragon311(m): 5:26am On Dec 07, 2015
Interesting.......

What a country

REVOLUTION!!!!!!!
Re: $2b Arms: EFCC Weighs Its Options On Jonathan- The Nation by Pheals(f): 5:29am On Dec 07, 2015
undecidedo ga God Don catch Jonathan, person no feel steal maggi or try not to pay for pure water Na probing.
.abeg Mr presido no light no fuel do some things now Na probing alone U wanna do because person no feel say sai baba for petrol station Na beating

Bad pingin up there!!

1 Like

Re: $2b Arms: EFCC Weighs Its Options On Jonathan- The Nation by IAMTHEHERO: 5:33am On Dec 07, 2015
One thing l hate about this government is newspaper/online/propaganda trials. What can you expect from government that have no respect for rule of law and court. They only respect rules of propaganda!! EFCC should write to GEJ for clarification, then if not satisfied try him not paper judgment.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: $2b Arms: EFCC Weighs Its Options On Jonathan- The Nation by Demmocrats(m): 5:33am On Dec 07, 2015
Before Jonathan held any political post, IBB have already looted 12 Billion dollars Gulf money.

Before GEJ became a President, OBJ looted 16 billion dollars for electricity.

Before Patience became the first lady, Abubaka looted the foreign reserve as the caretaker president within 9 months.

And all those men are still walking around as saints, the corruption fight should start from the source.

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: $2b Arms: EFCC Weighs Its Options On Jonathan- The Nation by biafransoul: 5:35am On Dec 07, 2015
Before I even read the concocted rubbish, I know it would either be from the Nation or Punch newspapers. Why the media trial without facts and from invisible sources? These agents of midnight voting are worse than boko haram with all this propaganda. Why not let the EFCC present their case at the courts if they have any.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: $2b Arms: EFCC Weighs Its Options On Jonathan- The Nation by Pheals(f): 5:39am On Dec 07, 2015
Buhari no faith in U unless U probe OBJ!!

undecided we love U

6 Likes

Re: $2b Arms: EFCC Weighs Its Options On Jonathan- The Nation by erekoshe: 5:41am On Dec 07, 2015
I hope the social bill will affect "the nation", they've been cooking gibberish from several sources lately. But again, the Nigerian chief Godfather owns the paper and such people are immune from such bills

2 Likes

Re: $2b Arms: EFCC Weighs Its Options On Jonathan- The Nation by globalresource: 5:42am On Dec 07, 2015
I need action pleaaase
Re: $2b Arms: EFCC Weighs Its Options On Jonathan- The Nation by Tritone02: 5:43am On Dec 07, 2015
ok
Re: $2b Arms: EFCC Weighs Its Options On Jonathan- The Nation by OPCNAIRALAND: 5:50am On Dec 07, 2015
So they looted money they recovered from previous looting. Na wa for that money sef. Na dis one Fela call double wahala for deadi bodi.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: $2b Arms: EFCC Weighs Its Options On Jonathan- The Nation by MrPeterson(m): 5:58am On Dec 07, 2015
Series film
Re: $2b Arms: EFCC Weighs Its Options On Jonathan- The Nation by Nobody: 6:00am On Dec 07, 2015
The beginning of end time

1 Like

Re: $2b Arms: EFCC Weighs Its Options On Jonathan- The Nation by ObiOkpor(m): 6:01am On Dec 07, 2015
Let all found to be guilty,be sent to kirikiri at once. That's their final destination.

1 Like

Re: $2b Arms: EFCC Weighs Its Options On Jonathan- The Nation by Mjshexy(f): 6:08am On Dec 07, 2015
Swift and drastic actions should be taken please, we need these looters prosecuted. Nigerians are hungry & angry, we hope efcc's weighing options won't take the whole tenure. The so called emeritus Dokpesi may soon have to auction AIT & Ray fm

5 Likes

Re: $2b Arms: EFCC Weighs Its Options On Jonathan- The Nation by GudluckIBB(m): 6:10am On Dec 07, 2015
No wonder the wife said during campaign that "if you vote for Buhari, my husband will go to jail"

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: $2b Arms: EFCC Weighs Its Options On Jonathan- The Nation by Nobody: 6:21am On Dec 07, 2015
I get it. It's all about getting back at
Dokpesi for those damaging documentaries. What a vindictive government. The koko is not whether Dokpesi got #100 billion in 1930 or not but whether services was rendered or not, neither is how government source the funds the business of Dokpesi. This government is on a wild goose chase in this case. I'll start taking their propaganda seriously when they secure court conviction.

As for their war on corruption, I'll take them seriously when I also see the likes of Tinubu, Amechi and Co on handcuffs

5 Likes

Re: $2b Arms: EFCC Weighs Its Options On Jonathan- The Nation by Meriekriss: 6:22am On Dec 07, 2015
Badgers14:
People say Jonathan is kind, gentle yada yada.... angry
Jonathan ran the most corrupt government in Nigeria's history.. Actually the difference between Abacha and Jonathan was that Abacha packed all the money for himself while Jonathan shared with his friends....
Jonathan was so stupid that he opened his own farm in Abuja while OBJ opened his at Otta at least creating jobs for his peeps... What did Jonathan do for Bayelsans as a deputy governor? Governor? Vice president? President? Let me not talk of Nigeria as a whole yet... Nothing Nothing....

Jonathan marched along instead of protesing the results of the election becuase he knew that was a fight he couldn't win...

Jonathan needs to be in kirikiri.... Why? The arms deal? The missing $20b... Ekitigate... The lists goes on my friend... grin angry angry

Keep making noise..

I hope they will also question IBB, Atiku, OBJ and even Buhari as well.. Nonsense..

But wait oo, do these investigations that are so far looking like waste of our limited resources and time stop Buhari from sitting down and holding the FEC meeting which will lead to formulation of relevant policies..
A govt without policies is just banning importation, banning Ibeto and arresting ppl up and down while disregarding court orders.. Is this military or democracy govt sef

Check my signature for your homes..

3 Likes

Re: $2b Arms: EFCC Weighs Its Options On Jonathan- The Nation by coldsummer: 6:26am On Dec 07, 2015
There shouldn't be any delay! Just issue justice on a hot plate for them

1 Like

Re: $2b Arms: EFCC Weighs Its Options On Jonathan- The Nation by grasskome: 6:26am On Dec 07, 2015
Keep making noise

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Reception For Amina Mohammed, Outgoing Minister Of Environment (Photos) / Yakubu Dogara⁩ Accepts Request To Recontest / Festus Keyamo Tackles Arise TV Journalist (See Reaction)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.