Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,774 members, 7,809,986 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:21 PM

I Sent The Wrong Salary Schedule To The Bank - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / I Sent The Wrong Salary Schedule To The Bank (40550 Views)

How To Figure Out If You’re In The Wrong Job / 5 Signs You Are In The Wrong Job / Thinking Of Working In The Bank? My 25 Years Of Experience Will Help You (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Sent The Wrong Salary Schedule To The Bank by Sisiedo: 6:42pm On Dec 09, 2015
madridguy:
GOD WILL HELP YOU OUT MY BROTHER. I SENSE SO MANY ENEMIES WITHIN . MISTAKE HAS NO MASTER, I WILL ADVISE YOU TO PRAY HARD IF YOU UNDERSTAND ME BETTER.

Hmmmmm, am so happy you looked outside the box. Amen to your prayer. God bless you.
Re: I Sent The Wrong Salary Schedule To The Bank by justmenoni: 6:44pm On Dec 09, 2015
Exactly,perhaps they didn't do their job diligently cos I don't know why they they didn't process the hard copies firstly..

But op changing your username won't change anything, anyone working in your coy will know it's you...and wait op why una salary sef dey fluctuate na..

procesquote author=ministeriallist post=40838714]The bank has a duty of care to verify the total amount in the cheque for conformity with sum total of scheduled amount. Hard copy was sent to the Bank. Why didn't they also verify. It's negligent on the part of the Bank also. [/quote]
Re: I Sent The Wrong Salary Schedule To The Bank by Sisiedo: 6:44pm On Dec 09, 2015
cremedelacreme:
It was a grave mistake you made, though nobody is above mistake. The management asking you to pay the differential is both legally and morally wrong. What they should have done is to give an instruction to the bank to restrict any form of withdrawal (by placing a no debit) on all staff accounts till the anomaly is corrected, with that everybody is fine. This is also the reason most banks also ask for hard copies of salary schedule before it is processed. Anyway, I wish you luck.

Thanks for being on my side.

Hard copies were actually sent to the bank.
Re: I Sent The Wrong Salary Schedule To The Bank by Sisiedo: 6:45pm On Dec 09, 2015
yomalex:
Someone using this against you

Not far from the truth.
Re: I Sent The Wrong Salary Schedule To The Bank by Torenzi: 6:46pm On Dec 09, 2015
It is possible for Oct & Nov Salary to be d same except in d cases of new member of staff or promotion
Re: I Sent The Wrong Salary Schedule To The Bank by Sisiedo: 6:47pm On Dec 09, 2015
Charly68:
Please if this is a joke stop the nonsense.. You made a very silly professional mistake..but all the same the management has no right to surcharge your account for any excess salary payment to the staff,what they can do is to inform the staff & deduct the difference in their next salary payment .. It is no big deal. Not a fraud but blatant human error. Please plead for leniency & advice as per this advise. Shalom.

Thanks for your contribution

1 Like

Re: I Sent The Wrong Salary Schedule To The Bank by Emeth: 6:48pm On Dec 09, 2015
Based on your post and some assertions made therein, some of the following can be observed;
1. You are partly blaming a 'clique' iin the organization for the penalty given to you. You clearly stated that witch-hunt is commonplace especially against those that don't belong. By this, you have already assumed the role of the victim rather than genuinely feeling remorse for a honest mistake.

2. As a result of your victim mentality, you went ahead to tender a reply to the query with a tone that came across as one saying "I made a mistake but no one is above mistakes, let's just move forward". You didn't show any remorse or regret. You must note that admitting your mistake is one thing, but the way you admit it is even more important than admitting the mistake. You ought to have portrayed an impression of humility, apology, readiness to learn and do better next time.

The punitive measure meted out to you is clearly because you were been perceived as trying to justify your error and this was all because you didn't utter a single word or statement reflecting your remorse.

Remember: having the "I can do no wrong mentality" pays no one. It's a common thinng that most have dealt with. The best of men have learnt that you must clip off the wings of pride and arrogance yourself, else it will get clipped in a most brutal way!

This is just my opinion anyway, I might be wrong afterall.

Wishing you the best going forward.

1 Like

Re: I Sent The Wrong Salary Schedule To The Bank by banking2: 6:51pm On Dec 09, 2015
My dear, fine you are have served queried and perfectly replied. Don't forget that you stated that circular was released by the mgt. that affected employees should be expecting debit/credit in December salary, that is settled. if there is any other query asking you to pay the over payment, it's shows that the mgt. is double standard. Am accountant working in a multinationals, yes, you have made the mistake, error is acceptable,but the way you managed the errors matters. From your stories above, you have managed it well. In addition, those people that already commented above me,kindly send an apology letter to that effect. I thank God for your life, for having very good boss, by taken responsibility. Its true that your banker have a duties to take extra care in dealing with his/her customers, this is not period to look into that angle. However, with this current situation, its perfectly under control, because the affected people are still under the org. control. Send an apology letter to the right person and send special semi-informal letter to your immediate manager. About hatred and office politics, just it into prayers and let Great Good God do the rest.

See you laughing at the end. Please don't failed to shared your testimonies with us.
Re: I Sent The Wrong Salary Schedule To The Bank by Sisiedo: 6:53pm On Dec 09, 2015
bettydee:
Well, first I would not blame you, its not as if it has happened before. Secondly, you shouldn't have taken responsibility for a technological fault, it could have been anyone for pete's sake! Like someone has said, wait for the letter, then write an apology letter(both handwritten and mail) and forward to everyone concerned. This could cost you your job on a normal day. Next time, be extra extra extra extra careful. I wish you come out of this unscathed.

The responsibilties I acknowledged was for the EMBARRASSMENT my mistake caused the company.

Thanks for your consideration
Re: I Sent The Wrong Salary Schedule To The Bank by Nobody: 7:04pm On Dec 09, 2015
I'm sorry but I have little sympathy for the OP. I am sick and tired of graduates who have to be micro managed to do simple tasks in the office. Mistakes happen to the best of us but that the whole coming on Nairaland thinking an alias will fool colleagues if they read the post as well as slagging the company online as a cesspool of " corruption, back biting and witch hunting" shows to me this is not someone who thinks before she acts and it's probably not her first goof at her workplace.

Let me give you some advice, if you don't make silly mistakes, you will never be in a situation where you are wondering who is to blame and what is fair punishment.

1 Like

Re: I Sent The Wrong Salary Schedule To The Bank by madridguy(m): 7:05pm On Dec 09, 2015
I diligently goes through your post which gave me clear picture of what you are going through. Please pray hard if you're a believer.

Sisiedo:

Hmmmmm, am so happy you looked outside the box. Amen to your prayer. God bless you.

Re: I Sent The Wrong Salary Schedule To The Bank by akankemi1(f): 7:09pm On Dec 09, 2015
if it is intra bank transfer ,then liase with the operations manager so u cam make adjustments the following month as they also made a mistake in failing to confirm soft copy with hard copy. if its inter bank transfer, just go back to ur boss n plead with him seriously so he can adjust with mext month salary. I have made a similar mistake in the past.
Re: I Sent The Wrong Salary Schedule To The Bank by Melahou(m): 7:12pm On Dec 09, 2015
ministeriallist:
The bank has a duty of care to verify the total amount in the cheque for conformity with sum total of scheduled amount. Hard copy was sent to the Bank. Why didn't they also verify. It's negligent on the part of the Bank also.

Bros i also prepare salary schedule, in most banks a cheque does not need to accompany a schedule
It could be in this format. "Kindly debit our account with the tune of...

And also in terms of verifying,
Such document is an instruction whether it's writing may 2015 or June 2014 on it.

Some companies still pay outstanding while current month will still be on pending

The bank only complied with the instruction to debit and pay
Re: I Sent The Wrong Salary Schedule To The Bank by chinchum(m): 7:15pm On Dec 09, 2015
I could be wrong, but i sense the Op is a bit arrogant , judging by her posts on this thread. It is a costly mistake in a professional set up, but to err is human. I feel sorry for the Op as she would be losing some finances as a pUNISHMENT for her error, it is not a fair punishment in my opinion, but a second look at it tells me a graver punishment would be an outright sack. If the differential in payment is relatively minute i.e less than 10% of your monthly income, it is a fair judgement.
Re: I Sent The Wrong Salary Schedule To The Bank by Winneygirl(f): 7:18pm On Dec 09, 2015
do a comparism btw oct and nov schedule so you the staff that were overpaid and by how much.. as well as those that were short-paid.
The next schedule should reflect the deduction of all excesses as well as a credit for those that were short paid. Equation should balance.

When such happens, since you were notified as the alerts were coming in, you could have called the bank.
They can do a reversal of the wrong amounts and credit the correct thing i. e if the staff have not started making withdrawals.

As long as they are staff, the money is not lost. No one has to pay. Just deduct/add to the next salary.

1 Like

Re: I Sent The Wrong Salary Schedule To The Bank by musicwriter(m): 7:20pm On Dec 09, 2015
@Sisiedo.

And you believe your siblings, colleagues, ex-colleagues would not know you after reading this post?. What a joke!.

3 Likes

Re: I Sent The Wrong Salary Schedule To The Bank by Melahou(m): 7:20pm On Dec 09, 2015
Keneking:
Ok

- I can assure you that you would not be responsible for any excess or surcharge for the last payment to any employee.Your immediate boss or line manager would be queried.

- Expect a graded warning letter from HR.

- I see nothing wrong in accepting responsibility for the human error. However, your competence is really in doubt judging by the language of your write-up.

- Are you a qualified finance officer or manager?

- I expect you to modify the schedule as soon as possible so that management can see the extent of liability and plan how to remedy.

- I disagree that the October payroll would be higher than November especially if you consider bonus and 13th month payments.

October payroll can be higher than that of November in cases where :
1. much staff took salary advance in the month of october.
2.few staff paid up there outstanding loans
3.rate of over time was high in the month of october
4.new staff joined in the month of nov
5.some staff where surcharge in the month of nov
Etc

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Sent The Wrong Salary Schedule To The Bank by leighcon(m): 7:27pm On Dec 09, 2015
@OP, whatever happens, just do ensure that you always check, heck and recheck your work as an accountant, because, your errors could cost a life in extreme scenarios.

However, I must mention that the story looks so made-up and in a bid to even protect your identity, you were actually letting out unnecessary details.

The big question I will ask first is if the October and November salary figures were different, how was the bank able to post using amount on the cover of cheque taken there by your company?

Again, being an error discovered the same day, there is something called transaction reversal which banks' technology platforms allow.

The funniest part that made the story sound so made up, was the part where you attributed the reason for the error to be because October schedule was the last item in your sent folder. Oga, could it be that since sending mail in October, you did not send any other one for a month?

Revise your storry and send one with possible scenarios.

1 Like

Re: I Sent The Wrong Salary Schedule To The Bank by Sisiedo: 7:28pm On Dec 09, 2015
lordtriplee:
Quite silly to post this here. If I am your boss, I will lay you off by text. Somethings are not meant to be shared in a forum. You are obviously a kid. Why on earth should you send such sensitive documents without verifying? You are too careless to be in a finance dept.

Look for a new job.

And who told you I work I the finance department?

You sounds perfect and never made a mistake before.

Does forums select topics to be shared? If I don't share it here where else can I? Your house?

If you were my boss, I will kick you out when you needed me most.

Yes, I am a kid that made a mistake and acknowledged it. So piss off, over grown insensitive adult.

1 Like

Re: I Sent The Wrong Salary Schedule To The Bank by jarule75(m): 7:38pm On Dec 09, 2015
MrBen10:

This is where your mistake lies, they asked for a letter stating reasons why u are not to be blame. AND you are not to take responsibilities because you dnt knw what the responsibilties(consequence) are to be (Whether sack, demotion, to pay from ur salary etc).
You are suppose to give them a full detail of what happened, accept to be blame but plead it wouldnt happen again and promise to be extra careful not to repeat such financial misrepresentation again.
.***
Their decision is legal and morally right, But it will be morally wrong if you followed your first letter with a letter of apology and they still took such decision. Tho its a grave mistake from your side as we are talking about a company's finance(liquidity).
...***
I would advice you to temper a letter of apology to them, so as to show a feel of remorse about your error and giving them reasons why it may not happen again.
Dnt feel bossy here, be humble and retain your job back.
In the banking industry u get fired with immediate effect from such a gross error.
My advise is for you to send a follow up letter of apology to the management, to your boss and any other person holding a top independent position in the company.
Goodluck
Actually it is the best decision to take # accepting the responsibility for your actoin# it shows you know your onions. From experience, appeal against the decision of the board stating reasons that it will never happen again. That's the result of power play. All the best
Re: I Sent The Wrong Salary Schedule To The Bank by Adekunleideology(m): 7:42pm On Dec 09, 2015
SQLmastar:
angry
You are here, you can never hide…
You are the reason I wasn't paid, abi? I just wish I could squeeze that your neck angry angry
Tell me, how would you feel if you were in my shoes ?? And to think the company pays you higher, when we all know how incompetent you are …

You never hear from me finish …
lol...seriously?

1 Like

Re: I Sent The Wrong Salary Schedule To The Bank by Sisiedo: 7:42pm On Dec 09, 2015
leighcon:
@OP, whatever happens, just do ensure that you always check, heck and recheck your work as an accountant, because, your errors could cost a life in extreme scenarios.

However, I must mention that the story looks so made-up and in a bid to even protect your identity, you were actually letting out unnecessary details.

The big question I will ask first is if the October and November salary figures were different, how was the bank able to post using amount on the cover of cheque taken there by your company?

Again, being an error discovered the same day, there is something called transaction reversal which banks' technology platforms allow.

The funniest part that made the story sound so made up, was the part where you attributed the reason for the error to be because October schedule was the last item in your sent folder. Oga, could it be that since sending mail in October, you did not send any other one for a month?

Revise your storry and send one with possible scenarios.

Oga, whatever makes you think this is a cook up story beats my imagination. I am too busy for that.

There is sense in your observations. Firstly, I am not an accountant and no where near one and I am not protecting my identity but my original moniker. I don't wanna be stalk should incase they see this post. If I was protecting my identity, I will not narrate this story words to words.

Yes, October was the last sent item on the folder because I used my phone to access the sent item in October and did not close the browser. Other correspondence have been sent and received and they were done and accessed through the system.

Yes, the errors was discovered in less than 4hours. Reversal would have been possible but am not sure they discussed that because they finally have an opportunity to victimise me.

If after this, you're not convinced with the story please excuse yourself from here. Thanks for you time.
Re: I Sent The Wrong Salary Schedule To The Bank by Sisiedo: 7:47pm On Dec 09, 2015
Adekunleideology:
lol...seriously?

So you believed the clown. Smh, you must be an fan of APC cheesy
Re: I Sent The Wrong Salary Schedule To The Bank by Nobody: 7:48pm On Dec 09, 2015
Sisiedo:

I am not protecting my identity but my original moniker. I don't wanna be stalk should incase they see this post. If I was protecting my identity, I will not narrate this story words to words.

OMG!!!

God help Nigeria!!!

1 Like

Re: I Sent The Wrong Salary Schedule To The Bank by Sisiedo: 7:50pm On Dec 09, 2015
KELVIN086:
i hope you know ur colleagues are reading this right now.

I really don't care bro.
Re: I Sent The Wrong Salary Schedule To The Bank by lordtriplee(m): 7:51pm On Dec 09, 2015
Sisiedo:

And who told you I work I the finance department?

You sounds perfect and never made a mistake before.

Does forums select topics to be shared? If I don't share it here where else can I? Your house?

If you were my boss, I will kick you out when you needed me most.

Yes, I am a kid that made a mistake and acknowledged it. So piss off, over grown insensitive adult.

Yes, you are a kid. You can't deal with little issues and you run to Nairaland for help.

No one is infallible. When you do, keep some very sensitive issues to yourself. Are u kidding me? Dont you think your bosses may be on Nairaland? Do you think they will smile at such post?

Too many slow people.
Re: I Sent The Wrong Salary Schedule To The Bank by Sisiedo: 7:51pm On Dec 09, 2015
abY2:
I work in finance so I think I understand your issue. But wondering y there is soo much difference between Oct n Nov salary. Or mgt increased salary ni

It's 10k+
Re: I Sent The Wrong Salary Schedule To The Bank by Bugatie(m): 7:54pm On Dec 09, 2015
madridguy:
GOD WILL HELP YOU OUT MY BROTHER. I SENSE SO MANY ENEMIES WITHIN . MISTAKE HAS NO MASTER, I WILL ADVISE YOU TO PRAY HARD IF YOU UNDERSTAND ME BETTER.

I beg to disagree bros, there's no reason to sense enemy within especially in the corporate world.
Bank Tellers on a daily basis make refund for cash shortages as they could be sacked if their management find out, they don't cry out witch hunt.
The guy goofed by sending the wrong schedule and that is enough to fetch him severe disciplinary punishment.

@poster, the mistake has been made already and am sure lessons learnt. I've no doubt you're a diligent person but I'll ask that you be more careful with your work.
Pray also the surcharge if taken from you now will be refunded when the next month salary is computed and it ends at that without sack.

All the best
Re: I Sent The Wrong Salary Schedule To The Bank by Sisiedo: 7:55pm On Dec 09, 2015
dustydee:

They should deduct from those over paid and credit those underpaid. Is that difficult? For those who may have left the company, the bank can be asked for a reversal. If you are responsible for preparing the payroll, this you can easily do right? More so I do not think you will have a lot of discrepancies for most of the staff.

Nobody left the company. crediting and debting staff December salary was what gave birth to the circular. Well, let me not disclosed more info than I have disclosed. Thanks for your time.
Re: I Sent The Wrong Salary Schedule To The Bank by GeoOla25(m): 7:55pm On Dec 09, 2015
nairaland.com
Re: I Sent The Wrong Salary Schedule To The Bank by Imhotep007(m): 7:55pm On Dec 09, 2015
Not having been in such a situation before, this is my opinion and should not constitute legal or administrative advice. Every job I have ever held at professional level has a caveat in their agreements that an employee is responsible for overpayment to them of any kind so how you should be responsible for that I don't get. Next time time you make a mistake while performing your primary duties, own up to it like you did but DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT use language that accepts or implies acceptance of consequences that you have no idea what they will be. Hope things work out for you.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Top 5 High Paying Side Hustles For Working Class People / 9 Clear Signs You Will Be Poor - FinancialSlot / Sergeant First Class Ifeanyi Rapu Honored In The US After Completing 3-Year Tour

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.