Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,227 members, 7,815,293 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:16 AM

Allegations Of “Illegal Diversion” Of Abacha's Loot Baseless – Okonjo-Iweala - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Allegations Of “Illegal Diversion” Of Abacha's Loot Baseless – Okonjo-Iweala (22912 Views)

Video Of Abacha's Speech After Shonekan's Resignation Shared By Gumsu Abacha / The Last Outing Of Abacha With Yasir Arafat - In Picture / Ibrahim Coomasie, Son Of Abacha’s Police IG Shows Off Wealth (PHOTOS) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Allegations Of “Illegal Diversion” Of Abacha's Loot Baseless – Okonjo-Iweala by Awho(m): 8:19am On Dec 10, 2015
blazetitov:

World class financial analyst my foot!! She is not cheap but she has been in government since OBJ's term raking in hundreds of millions of Naira. Stop put out silly defenses on her behalf.
can we honestly leave sentiments out of this issue a and face fact. yes it's a well noted fact that all Nigeria politicians are said to be corrupts but that
does not change the fact that this woman is well schooled and knows her way around unlike her colleagues who just steal just for the sake of it.
Re: Allegations Of “Illegal Diversion” Of Abacha's Loot Baseless – Okonjo-Iweala by zomoears(m): 8:20am On Dec 10, 2015
doctokwus:

So part of the work of the finance minister is to approve extra budgetary expenditures.
Sometimes it's repugnant hailing from the same country with people like u.

There is no law in Nigeria that empowers the minister or anyone for that matter to approve and/or carry out extra budgetary expenditure. Extra budgetary spending is an illegality punishable by law.

All funds must be appropriated by the national assembly!

7 Likes

Re: Allegations Of “Illegal Diversion” Of Abacha's Loot Baseless – Okonjo-Iweala by Nobody: 8:20am On Dec 10, 2015
Promhize:

"Following the discussions and based on the urgency of
the NSA’s memo, Dr Okonjo-Iweala requested the
President to approve the transfer of the requested amount
to the NSA’s Office for the specified purposes."

Now I know you have comprehension issues, "request the president to approve" not "request for permission to approve".

Seems you just learnt about the word "repugnant"
Big man, I beg leave that kg1 student jor. Him just newly learn those big grammatical expression grin
Re: Allegations Of “Illegal Diversion” Of Abacha's Loot Baseless – Okonjo-Iweala by tete7000(m): 8:21am On Dec 10, 2015
blazetitov:

This your line of argument get as e be oo. We should not overrule due process in our system as this leads to abuse as seen in present case. The fact is that, people entrusted with responsibility deliberately frustrate the system by creating unnecessary bottlenecks so as to have a reason to abuse the system and your submission is one of the major reasons why abuse of the system might continue.

As for PMB's certificate issue, we have moved past that. Don't be left behind.

I never told you we shouldn't follow due process, No! I said under certain circumstances we can sidetrack it if it is in the common best interest. We can't be under a war threat and close to been run over and then continue to play unnecessary politics. At that point we can take certain urgent measure to avoid catastrophe. What is a constitutional provision when the country is no more? The intention at that point is what matter. Until this point how many extra budgetary spending can the government be accused of? If it has been its habit, I may not be able to argue for it but this was done in the interest of all. Let APC government stop its vindictiveness. Let leave the past and move on.

As par Buhari certificate, we can never move past it since it is the same constitution that has been violated by APC they intend to use to nail others. NO! He who goes to equity must go with clean hand says a common dictum. In a moral court, your antecedents will always count for or against you.

1 Like

Re: Allegations Of “Illegal Diversion” Of Abacha's Loot Baseless – Okonjo-Iweala by Orikinla(m): 8:21am On Dec 10, 2015
kahara:

It is obvious u cant swallow her guts. Her defence pricks u like devil beans all over the body. U left the issue she raised and attackd her personality. At ur age she was already a Ph.d.holder. What r u? If Oshomohle thinks he has evidence let him go to court and stop being lousy.
. You are another idiot. You don't even know her enough to defend her. She had PhD at what age? So? Her very rich parents could afford to send her to the best schools in the world. My own parents were poor, but at 21 I was a project consultant of Johns' Hopkins' University's Population Communication Services in Nigeria through the USAID and at 25, was a national program consultant for UNICEF. And today, I have a national girls education project for the education of over 6.4 million underprivileged girls out of school in Nigeria. What has Mrs. Okonjo-Iweala done for her poor people in Delta State and Abia State (her husband is from my mother's village in Umuahia)?

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Allegations Of “Illegal Diversion” Of Abacha's Loot Baseless – Okonjo-Iweala by Pavarottii(m): 8:22am On Dec 10, 2015
bokohalal:
Did she know that the National Assembly must approve the spending?
Ode! U that know all these and even know more than her. Who are you please?
Re: Allegations Of “Illegal Diversion” Of Abacha's Loot Baseless – Okonjo-Iweala by porka: 8:23am On Dec 10, 2015
‎But many people shouting NASS approval here were defending the reported illegal ‎deductions of Nigeria's money by a private company in the name of 1% commission on REMITA without NASS approval and shouted down Dino Melaye for raising a fundamental point on TSA's operation. 

Now that their 'enemy' is involved they are quick to invoke NASS' appropriation SUPER POWERS.

That's a clear inconsistency. Why? 
Re: Allegations Of “Illegal Diversion” Of Abacha's Loot Baseless – Okonjo-Iweala by nutarious(f): 8:24am On Dec 10, 2015
Depends on the way we see it(angle), if u see it from party partisan view then u will wanna defend or attack Nov. But if we all sit back and reason casting away tribal and political sentiment then we could reason well.

I don't see anything good that can come from IMF, personally, I Beleive NOI is more loyal to IMF than her nation.

She said a Commitee was setup, and the commite reached an agreement, this whole arrangements was funny, for nsa and her dept to be part of the commite is absurd.

Between the 6 years in total of GEJ rule, she has always been lieing to us in regards the economy. There is a way she brand her addresses that one would easily fall victim of her academia hypnosis. As of the time she left Nigeria was already bankrupt, now people will argue that it was oil sales that went down, but as a coordinating minister, she was there while money was been siphoned and she never said a thing. I personally don't trust her based on lots of failures and secrecy.

Lastly, after the abacha loot was siphoned to NSA, GEJ administration still went to further borrow 1billion dollars towards election and she Was still the coordinating Minister. If anyone Beleive this woman then it could only be for tribal or party reasons. She is an embarrassment to this country, what does her profile profit us? She led supported the most corrupt GEJ in democracy in Nigeria and we won't forget that.

Now tell me of Patriots and DORA Akunyili comes to mind, may God bless her soul.

8 Likes

Re: Allegations Of “Illegal Diversion” Of Abacha's Loot Baseless – Okonjo-Iweala by zomoears(m): 8:24am On Dec 10, 2015
ShowYourCertificate:
Bros you don't get approval for LOANS from the Legislature grin

Rather you get approval for your budgeted expenditure from the Legislature. How you go about sourcing your budget in the short term is your headache (as the executive arm of govt) as long as such sourcing doesn't incur more expenses (in the name of interest or sth) that wasn't covered for in the approved budgeted expenditure.

Remember GEJ approaching NASS severally for approvals to incur foreign loans?

Also, all domestic borrowing through the DMO are covered by law through the appropriation act of the NASS.

Any other form of borrowing is an illegality.

QED.

2 Likes

Re: Allegations Of “Illegal Diversion” Of Abacha's Loot Baseless – Okonjo-Iweala by blazetitov: 8:24am On Dec 10, 2015
tete7000:

I never told you we shouldn't follow due process, No! I said under certain circumstances we can sidetrack it if it is in the common best interest. We can't be under a war threat and close to been run over and then continue to play unnecessary politics. At that point we can take certain urgent measure to avoid catastrophe. What is a constitutional provision when the country is no more? The intention at that point is what matter. Until this point how many extra budgetary spending can the government be accused of? If it has been its habit, I may not be able to argue for it but this was done in the interest of all. Let APC government stop its vindictiveness. Let leave the past and move on.

As part Buhari certificate, we can never move past it since it is the same constitution that has been violated by APC is the same thing they intent to use to nail others. NO! He who goes to equity must go with clean hand says a common dictum. In a moral court, your antecedents will always count for or against you.

Ok Boss!!

But what 'unnecessary politics? PDP was in power then now.

2 Likes

Re: Allegations Of “Illegal Diversion” Of Abacha's Loot Baseless – Okonjo-Iweala by lokonzo78: 8:26am On Dec 10, 2015
This woman should be apprehended now. She oversaw Nigerian treasury drawn down to zero by corrupt officials and she's claiming ignorance. No way!

6 Likes

Re: Allegations Of “Illegal Diversion” Of Abacha's Loot Baseless – Okonjo-Iweala by tinsel: 8:26am On Dec 10, 2015
One thing is clear. Ngozi did not deny she did not remit the money to Dasuki. What is clear is that she knew the money was to be used for political campaigns and cleverly passed the bulk to Jonathan to monitor the use of the money. The fact also remains that at that time she was the minister of finance and co-ordinating minister of economy.

5 Likes

Re: Allegations Of “Illegal Diversion” Of Abacha's Loot Baseless – Okonjo-Iweala by DecemberIV: 8:29am On Dec 10, 2015
Regardless of whatever was budgeted for the ONSA or if they had exhausted it or not, the funds were never appropriated before they were transferred, a clear violation of Nigeria’s fiscal responsibility law.

Beyond Abachas loot, the arms scam funds disbursed from the CBN after an executive order from the President and without recourse to the National Assembly, were unbudgeted funds.

Show us where the President has the power to arbitrarily issue an executive order for funds to be released by the CBN.

Then also show us where he has the power to divert such 'security' funds to his presidential campaign while thousands were being slaughtered. His ambition was apparently worth more than the blood of 1000 Nigerians.

#JonaMustFaceJustice

ShowYourCertificate:
Really? They weren't budgeted for? Please can you tell me how much was approved for NSA by the National Assembly in the budget? Is is less than the 322million dollars.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Allegations Of “Illegal Diversion” Of Abacha's Loot Baseless – Okonjo-Iweala by helpee(m): 8:34am On Dec 10, 2015
zomoears:

There is no law in Nigeria that empowers the minister or anyone for that matter to approve and/or carry out extra budgetary expenditure. Extra budgetary spending is an illegality punishable by law.

you are the novice here. you make budgets based on projections. for example, you can budget 10million for security based on the expectation that you will make 10million from oil. if there is a shortfall in oil for example, you may not make up to 2 million from oil. Meanwhile, there is what we call miscellaneous income. These are income from unexpected sources. so, if the govt got a miscellaneous income of 5 million, they dont have to run to national assembly before spending it on security cos it has already been budgeted for. you call it extra budgetary spending if for example 10million was appproved for security and you now spend 20miilion. the extra 10million is extra budgetary
Re: Allegations Of “Illegal Diversion” Of Abacha's Loot Baseless – Okonjo-Iweala by blazetitov: 8:35am On Dec 10, 2015
ShowYourCertificate:
Okay let me show you. See the excerpts below (note the bolded)

So you can see from the bolded that anything the ministers does is within the budgetary requirement as approved by the National Assembly.

Every agency within the executive has an annual budget which is approved by the National Assembly. I believe NSA isn't an exception. So unless you can prove that the amount spent by NSA for the year in question was above the budgeted amount I'm sorry you have no case here.

Oga, these are just mere statements. The federal government would not plan return of Abacha loot as part of budget. It is just like planning return of Dasuki or So called Arms Deal loot as part of 2016 budget. Na wa oo lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

2 Likes

Re: Allegations Of “Illegal Diversion” Of Abacha's Loot Baseless – Okonjo-Iweala by ibietela2(m): 8:37am On Dec 10, 2015
ShowYourCertificate:
The Legislature has approved the NSA budget for the year. The statutory funds hasn't arrived thus the NSA was LOANED the money from Abacha's Loot after which the loan will be repaid once the statutory allocation arrives.

The olodo will never understand

1 Like

Re: Allegations Of “Illegal Diversion” Of Abacha's Loot Baseless – Okonjo-Iweala by zomoears(m): 8:38am On Dec 10, 2015
helpee:

stop behaving like an uneducated fellow. we always have security budget. that a money is budgeted for security does not mean the money will come from heaven. they dont have to run to the national assembly everytime they got money to meet budgetary expenses. Did they spend more than the approved amount for security? where they got the money dont matter as long as it is legal and as long as they spend within the limit of the budget. wether the money is used rightly or not is now left for the monitoring committee in the senate

There are laws regulating govt borrowings, and it specifies that it must be documented and approved by DMO.

Madam NOI show me a document from debt mgt office to the effect that the govt "borrowed" Abacha loot to finance d war.

OK, let's assume there was an urgency. Why not regularise the transaction by forwarding d request to NASS and DMO afterwards? We won't be shouting today if she did.

It only shows there was no pure motive! Especially because the funds ended up in pdp campaign

6 Likes

Re: Allegations Of “Illegal Diversion” Of Abacha's Loot Baseless – Okonjo-Iweala by ShowYourCertificate: 8:49am On Dec 10, 2015
zomoears:

And who says the 322million dollars was an extra budgetary expenditure? How much was budgeted to the NSA as approved by the National Assembly? SMH
Re: Allegations Of “Illegal Diversion” Of Abacha's Loot Baseless – Okonjo-Iweala by DecemberIV: 8:51am On Dec 10, 2015
zomoears:

There are laws regulating govt borrowings, and it specifies that it must be documented and approved by DMO.

Madam NOI show me a document from debt mgt office to the effect that the govt "borrowed" Abacha loot to finance d war.

OK, let's assume there was an urgency. Why not regularise the transaction by forwarding d request to NASS and DMO afterwards? We won't be shouting today if she did.

It only shows there was no pure motive! Especially because the funds ended up in pdp campaign

They are trying to conflate the budgetary, appropriation and loan issues. It's a juvenile tactic.

The issue is that the Nigerian President under the constitution has NO power to approve funds that have not been appropriated by the National Assembly. That is the essence of checks and balances. The foregoing is a criminal offense for which Okonjo-Iweala ought to face criminal prosecution.

7 Likes

Re: Allegations Of “Illegal Diversion” Of Abacha's Loot Baseless – Okonjo-Iweala by ShowYourCertificate: 8:51am On Dec 10, 2015
zomoears:

DMO you say? Who is incurring the debt here? Who is being owed here? DMO only comes in when incurring external debts.
Re: Allegations Of “Illegal Diversion” Of Abacha's Loot Baseless – Okonjo-Iweala by zomoears(m): 8:52am On Dec 10, 2015
helpee:
you are the novice here. you make budgets based on projections. for example, you can budget 10million for security based on the expectation that you will make 10million from oil. if there is a shortfall in oil for example, you may not make up to 2 million from oil. Meanwhile, there is what we call miscellaneous income. These are income from unexpected sources. so, if the govt got a miscellaneous income of 5 million, they dont have to run to national assembly before spending it on security cos it has already been budgeted for. you call it extra budgetary spending if for example 10million was appproved for security and you now spend 20miilion. the extra 10million is extra budgetary

Throwing d word "income" into this argument suggests an abuse of d word. Abacha loot is not an income in d pure meaning of d word. The Abacha loot belongs to all tiers of govt because it was taken directly from the sale of d country's crude oil.

No law and no financial gymnastics gives d govt d right to spend d Abacha loot without appropriation.
Secondly, if d money was to be borrowed, they were supposed to pass through the debt mgt office, who would have converted it to bonds or treasury bills. If there was an urgency and d money was taken, then what happened to doing the right thing by writing Nass and DMO to regularise d transaction afterwards?
Thirdly, all d funds in question ended up in the pdp campaign.

Who is deceiving who? Papa deceiving pikin?

Lastly, u can engage in a discussion without name calling. Calling me a novice only exposes d shallowness of your argument.

6 Likes

Re: Allegations Of “Illegal Diversion” Of Abacha's Loot Baseless – Okonjo-Iweala by omolami: 8:52am On Dec 10, 2015
APC has exhausted all propaganda against Okonjo Iweala. By the way Why is Buhari probing spendings on security? that's not the mum
Re: Allegations Of “Illegal Diversion” Of Abacha's Loot Baseless – Okonjo-Iweala by ShowYourCertificate: 8:53am On Dec 10, 2015
blazetitov:

Oga, these are just mere statements. The federal government would not plan return of Abacha loot as part of budget. It is just like planning return of Dasuki or So called Arms Deal loot as part of 2016 budget. Na wa oo lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Have you even seen the 2016 budget plan? Over 500billion of the revenue will be from recovered loot.
Re: Allegations Of “Illegal Diversion” Of Abacha's Loot Baseless – Okonjo-Iweala by DecemberIV: 8:54am On Dec 10, 2015
ShowYourCertificate:
And who says the 322million dollars was an extra budgetary expenditure? How much was budgeted to the NSA as approved by the National Assembly? SMH

What about the 2.1 Billion dollars approved by Jonathan for Dasuki? Is the NSA's budget also more than $2.1B?

6 Likes

Re: Allegations Of “Illegal Diversion” Of Abacha's Loot Baseless – Okonjo-Iweala by zomoears(m): 8:56am On Dec 10, 2015
ShowYourCertificate:
DMO you say? Who is incurring the debt here? Who is being owed here? DMO only comes in when incurring external debts.

Oga, go and read the laws of d land and understand d role of DMO. Just because they have been doing d wrong thing repeatedly does not make it right.

DMO by law is d clearing house for all govt debt.

3 Likes

Re: Allegations Of “Illegal Diversion” Of Abacha's Loot Baseless – Okonjo-Iweala by Akpan107(m): 8:57am On Dec 10, 2015
doctokwus:
Another over rated ph.D holder giving another uttely repugnant defence to cover her crass incompetence and complicity in the ra pe of our national treasury.
Who is more incompetent? the one that says Abacha never stoll any money or the person that recovered the stolen money and putting them proper use to destroy the terrorists. no wonder sombody once said a fight against boko haram is fight against the north. APC is a useless political party.
Re: Allegations Of “Illegal Diversion” Of Abacha's Loot Baseless – Okonjo-Iweala by ShowYourCertificate: 8:57am On Dec 10, 2015
DecemberIV:

What about the 2.1 Billion dollars approved by Jonathan for Dasuki? Is the NSA's budget also more than $2.1B?
Jonathan denied approving such amount. That amount is simply coined by APC Propaganda machinery. Just like they did for the 20 billion dollars (which we are yet to know where it is up till today)
Re: Allegations Of “Illegal Diversion” Of Abacha's Loot Baseless – Okonjo-Iweala by kahara(m): 8:59am On Dec 10, 2015
Orikinla:
. You are another idiot. You don't even know her enough to defend her. She had PhD at what age? So? Her very rich parents could afford to send her to the best schools in the world. My own parents were poor, but at 21 I was a project consultant of Johns' Hopkins' University's Population Communication Services in Nigeria through the USAID and at 25, was a national program consultant for UNICEF. And today, I have a national girls education project for the education of over 6.4 million underprivileged girls out of school in Nigeria. What has Mrs. Okonjo-Iweala done for her poor people in Delta State and Abia State (her husband is from my mother's village in Umuahia)?

and u hav just demonstrated another cerebral deficiency by taking a pill over another's bullshit of a headache. Here isnt where u should reel out ur profile. So uncalled for and uncanny of u. Poverty is a relative term so u best understand wat u meAn by saying ur parents were poor yet.... That u hv not personally benefited from Prof. Okonjo iweala doesn't warrant u to speAk for others. I hv also not benefitd from her directly but as a several times holder of political offices, i can claim dat i hv benefited from her one way or another. Did u just call me an idiot? Haha.ha ! Thank u for d wonderful compliment.
Re: Allegations Of “Illegal Diversion” Of Abacha's Loot Baseless – Okonjo-Iweala by ShowYourCertificate: 9:00am On Dec 10, 2015
zomoears:

Oga, go and read the laws of d land and understand d role of DMO. Just because they have been doing d wrong thing repeatedly does not make it right.

DMO by law is d clearing house for all govt debt.
That debt is not a debt in a real sense because the govt borrowed from itself. It didn't borrow from another body or state or country.
Re: Allegations Of “Illegal Diversion” Of Abacha's Loot Baseless – Okonjo-Iweala by ADUBA1(m): 9:01am On Dec 10, 2015
Did u read article at all? Please, u are more matured than this. Sentiment will not take u anywhere
doctokwus:
Another over rated ph.D holder giving another uttely repugnant defence to cover her crass incompetence and complicity in the ra pe of our national treasury.
Re: Allegations Of “Illegal Diversion” Of Abacha's Loot Baseless – Okonjo-Iweala by zomoears(m): 9:02am On Dec 10, 2015
ShowYourCertificate:

Show me where it was appropriated by d Nass dat d country will recover Abacha money and spend accordingly? Did you see that despite d urgency of d fuel situation in d country, Buhaari still had d patience to write the Nass before paying outstanding fuel subsidy? Do you also see dat they present govt has appropriated about N350bn recovered loot money to be spent in next year's budget?

You guys should wake up and realise dat doing d wrong thing over and over, as was d case with GEJ and NOI, does not make it right.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Ekiti Governorship Election: Goodluck Jonathan Urges Caution / Fela Durotoye Writes ANN Chairman About Alleged Involvement With Osinbajo / The Next Census Will Cost Over N220 Billion - Population Commission Reveals

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.