Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,626 members, 7,865,532 topics. Date: Wednesday, 19 June 2024 at 07:58 PM

Nigerians And Big Grammar? - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerians And Big Grammar? (13867 Views)

Honorable Patrick Obahiagbon Mourns Ex ASUU President With Big Grammar / Patrick Obahiagbon Finally Tells Why He Always Speaks ‘big Grammar’ / Why I Speak Big Grammar - Hon. Patrick Obahiagbon (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians And Big Grammar? by SEFAGO(m): 2:21am On Feb 09, 2010
Big grammar is useless in all academic endeavors except if you are really trying to impress some insecure and uneducated people
Re: Nigerians And Big Grammar? by H2O2: 2:42am On Feb 09, 2010
Yeah, I remember my writings were at some point inundated with vocabulary that were mostly irrelevant and redundant - needless, in short. I've had professors advise against their usage. Rather than enhance one's writings, they made them cryptic instead. Most people would appreciate it more if an intellectual speaks or writes succintly, precisely, and to the point using common words, rather than lacing their articulations with grammatical mountains that most folks must decode in dictionaries before they can comprehend.
Re: Nigerians And Big Grammar? by DrKnow1(m): 7:45am On Feb 09, 2010
Contrary to the general belief that writers of big vocabularies as in the above examples must be university professors, I am afraid they are not. They are a bunch of half baked educational exhibitionists who think the best way to get noticed is to write big grammar. Most of their sentences are just too long as if they are writing a prose. The sentences are badly punctuated and often become meaningless. The words are mostlly inappropriate and out of place in conveying the idea being expressed. Big english is bad english. A best selling novel would be the one witten in simple, clear, jargon free english' and not the one you have to look up for meanings in the Thesaurus.
Re: Nigerians And Big Grammar? by Jakumo(m): 9:36am On Feb 09, 2010
I couldn't agree more with the notion that a common denominator must be sought in all matters, and particularly with respect to written communication.

If I had my way, anyone I deem guilty of penning words or sentences that I do not understand would be dragged from their home, beaten to death by a baying mob, and then dismembered for use as livestock feed.

Praise the Lord !
Re: Nigerians And Big Grammar? by H2O2: 9:51am On Feb 09, 2010
LOL grin
Re: Nigerians And Big Grammar? by Nobody: 11:39pm On Oct 12, 2011
lmao@ thread!

sexkillz has them beat! grin
Re: Nigerians And Big Grammar? by 1luvkipsus: 1:56pm On Oct 13, 2011
Have you registered for your SSCE yet?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Jonathan Creates Maiduguri-based Army Division For Boko Haram / Bandits Currently Operating At Magazu Town, Katsina-zamfara Road / Ex-nema Spokesman Sacked Over Okonjo-iweala Article

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.