Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,157 members, 7,835,866 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 04:26 PM

Why Does Recruitment Process In Nigeria Take So Long? - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Why Does Recruitment Process In Nigeria Take So Long? (13947 Views)

How Long Does Recruitment Process Take. / NSE Recruitment Job Portal Launched Ahead Of Transparent Recruitment Process / Police Recruitment: Arase Gives Insight On Recruitment Process (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Does Recruitment Process In Nigeria Take So Long? by ITbomb(m): 11:04am On Dec 10, 2015
An average job seeker can lieeeeeeee
So they need more time to look well well into their CV and assess them well physically
Re: Why Does Recruitment Process In Nigeria Take So Long? by prettyeyo: 11:05am On Dec 10, 2015
I'm not even sure its like this in other parts of the world. And seriously, the HR Management will be shouting international best practises.... Some even feel they are doing you a favour. God help us.
Re: Why Does Recruitment Process In Nigeria Take So Long? by deebsman1(m): 11:05am On Dec 10, 2015
The Nigerian factor
Re: Why Does Recruitment Process In Nigeria Take So Long? by Nobody: 11:08am On Dec 10, 2015
It's because the advertised vacancies are not vacant.

1 Like

Re: Why Does Recruitment Process In Nigeria Take So Long? by banio: 11:18am On Dec 10, 2015
Recruitment processes in some organisation last for years. They would not stick to their part of the bargain. Yet they will speak of integrity. They might say that You will be on probation for 2yrs, but after two yrs then different subterfuge will be adopted by the firm. Basically it's cheap labour without any liabilities that's what they want. Human beings are wicked.
Some banks and multinationals like Chevron, Total, Shell, Agip etc. are experts in this. Despite the excess profit they declare yearly

1 Like

Re: Why Does Recruitment Process In Nigeria Take So Long? by ayusco85(m): 11:25am On Dec 10, 2015
calliope:
@op
When grace and favour accompyin you" na immediate effect ooo..
And again i think it a mindset thing too " some people jut go and jut try luck,concludin dey. Arent good enough"havin selfdoubt" and dar fears becomes their reality.
Whether we belive it or not some went in and got it immediately.. Wwhile others went in still naw! De stil dey hope for fonecall.
Irony of life
My 5cent tho

Can u pls stick to pidgin? And gosh, must u use short hand? Couldn't grasp wat u were trying to say.

2 Likes

Re: Why Does Recruitment Process In Nigeria Take So Long? by olumite1234(m): 11:25am On Dec 10, 2015
Government job is the worst. expecially FAAN and IMMIGRATION

Naija for show

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Does Recruitment Process In Nigeria Take So Long? by Nobody: 11:53am On Dec 10, 2015
because applicants don't engage the power of God

2 Likes

Re: Why Does Recruitment Process In Nigeria Take So Long? by Ephemmm: 11:55am On Dec 10, 2015
steady986:
Because a lot of shenanigans and sorting is going on in the background that you and I don't know of. Especially in govt institutions, the kingpins would always want their candidates to be favoured first, while some dubious staff go as far as collecting bribe from candidates. There's a whole lot of dirty stuff going on behind the scenes. The chances of a candidate getting employment on merit in this country is 5%, while for those who know people or who have given some form of bribe, is as high as 85%. The country's in a huge mess my friend.

While I agree with you that recruitment process in government institutions lacks merit, I disagree with the fact that the chance of getting employment in this country on merit is 5%. Don't be fooled by this wrong/premature evaluation especially if you are still an undergraduate as it could not only spur you into poor mentality, but it can also have negative impact on your academic performance. Truly, job is scarce, but the few ones available are for the best candidates. However, you will agree with me that there are some positions that must be filled with right candidates as a matter of necessity in the operational activities of any firm.

I moved to Lagos after graduation all because I hate running after one politician all in the name of getting job. Things get though from the beginning, but with the passage of time I was established.

Private organizations are the best when it comes to 'meritocracy' in that they want to choose the best candidate out of the best candidates. In other words, their recruitment exercise is not the matter of whom you know but what you know as they provide a well-structured platform for practical tests and interviews before the final candidates are announced. This has been the norm in these organizations and it is still in operation till date.

Without knowing anybody, I have secured many offers since 2010 after I finished my NYSC and I can tell you that I reject offers and ignore interviews sometimes from these private firms up till date. In actual fact, I know many people/superior staff who companies beg to resign their appointment to take up theirs in the company I am working up till today.

Mind you, I have HND qualification in contrary to the belief of majority of HND holders that they are second class citizens when compared with their university counterparts.

Work hard so that you can be confident of your qualifications: don't doubt your aspirations in the face of overwhelming challenge of unemployment: read and re-read most relevant courses you learnt while in school upon which proficiency tests would be based: don't just apply for any post; have a singleness of purpose: get more and more qualification(s) to further deepen your professional wherewithal etc

Achievements sometimes depends on the grace of God, but it is noteworthy that our desire to acquire a desire must be re-fired always so that we won't retire our desires when things are going tough/in spite of all odds. The sky is your limit.

10 Likes

Re: Why Does Recruitment Process In Nigeria Take So Long? by manny4u(m): 12:04pm On Dec 10, 2015
manny4u:
Being unemployed is one of the difficult realities in Nigeria, but when calls for interviews and aptitude test eventually comes the process and the wait is usually even more challenging and frustrating. Some can take as long as 2 years and the minimum I have seen so far is 6months. Why are organisations taking so long to conclude there recruitment process without even giving some mood of explanation to the applicants?
Hmmmmmmm! My first front page. I dedicate ds one to my dog 'shally' you see I told you one day
I told you one day e better. And to my fellow applicant let's keep hoping it can only get better and to those lazy human resource managers that are intentionally delaying our appointment letters, 'don't worry continue diaris God oooo' and to does organisations that are under employing our graduates and paying them peanuts don't worry continue the thunder wey go fire una still dey do press up.
Re: Why Does Recruitment Process In Nigeria Take So Long? by bezimo(m): 12:14pm On Dec 10, 2015
Its because Nigeria is a backward country with HR personnels out of touch with global best practices. You see in Nigeria what cant be done in developed climes.
Re: Why Does Recruitment Process In Nigeria Take So Long? by markpenk: 12:22pm On Dec 10, 2015
This is a very valuable and sensible post. All job seekers should read this over and over until it sinks in. Also, while you're waiting to be employed, writing tests and attending interviews, make sure to get more experience and certifications. If you don't have the money to get the necessary certifications -been there- learn some new skills over the next 3 months, and use that to generate some funds for yourself. Whatever you do, don't fold your hands and so nothing. Acquire a relevant skill. Study like mad. Learn new things. Remember, job seeking is a full time job in itself. You might as well prepare well and hard. All these will help further your cause and increase your prospects. Good luck in your job search.
Ephemmm:

While I agree with you that recruitment process in government institutions lacks merit, I disagree with the fact that the chance of getting employment in this country on merit is 5%. Don't be fooled by this wrong/premature evaluation especially if you are still an undergraduate. Truly, job is scarce, but the few ones available are for the best candidates. However, you will agree with me that there are some position that must be filled with right candidates as a matter of necessity in the operational activities of any firm.

I moved to Lagos after graduation all because I hate running after one politician all in the name of getting job. Things get though from the beginning, but with the passage of time I was established.

Private organizations are the best when it comes to 'meritocracy' in that they want to choose the best candidate out of the best candidates. In other words, their recruitment exercise is not the matter of whom you know but what you know as they provide a well-structured platform for practical tests and interviews before the final candidates are announced. This has been the norm in these organizations and it is still in operation till date.

Without knowing anybody, I have secured many offers since 2010 after I finished my NYSC and I can tell you that I reject offers and ignore interviews sometimes from these private firms up till date. In actual fact, I know many people/superior staff who companies beg to resign their appointment to take up theirs in the company I am working up till today.

Mind you, I have HND qualification in contrary to the belief of majority of HND holders that they are second class citizens when compared with their university counterparts.

Achievements sometimes depends on the grace of God, but it is noteworthy that our desire to acquire a desire must be fired always so that we won't retire our desires when things are going tough/in spite of all odds.

Re: Why Does Recruitment Process In Nigeria Take So Long? by chicent2k3(m): 12:42pm On Dec 10, 2015
manny4u:
Being unemployed is one of the difficult realities in Nigeria, but when calls for interviews and aptitude test eventually comes the process and the wait is usually even more challenging and frustrating. Some can take as long as 2 years and the minimum I have seen so far is 6months. Why are organisations taking so long to conclude there recruitment process without even giving some mood of explanation to the applicants?

End time recruitment. angry
Re: Why Does Recruitment Process In Nigeria Take So Long? by keko14: 2:06pm On Dec 10, 2015
I wish I was nt a nija
Re: Why Does Recruitment Process In Nigeria Take So Long? by Ojady(m): 6:03pm On Dec 10, 2015
The question is, if its taking too long, what are you doing about it? Fact is, can there be anything in Nigeria, that is not messed up. I mean transparency no longer lives anywhere in this country, poverty in every sense imaginable has taken over. Now while waiting what options are available to you: start a micro business, go back to school, learn a trade or something you can do with your hands, take the jobs with a shorter recruitment process, volunteer at a community development centre (in Nigeria, they are called churches), work for a relative at least to have some money, AND, try to get out of that country - face it, if your destiny aint there, it is NOT THERE. Not all of us will be dangote, basketmouth, sammie okposo etc Nothing like you destined to be an Elumelu in UBA, yet stuck as a Manager with Accion mfb...

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Jumia Group April 2018 Fresh Recruitment (7 Positions) / How Do I Dress For An Engineering Job Interview? / Apply For Audit Accounting Academy Intern Recruitment At KPMG

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.