Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,136 members, 7,814,977 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:28 AM

20 Months After: Borno Schools Reopen, Need 5,000 Teachers - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 20 Months After: Borno Schools Reopen, Need 5,000 Teachers (1403 Views)

"You're VISIONLESS If You Add No Value After 20 Months In Office" - Jonathan / FG To Reopen 30 Ex-Governors' Corruption Cases / 5 Years After, Borno Celebrates Sallah Without Curfew (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

20 Months After: Borno Schools Reopen, Need 5,000 Teachers by FOLYKAZE(m): 11:03pm On Dec 11, 2015

Pupils of MGDSS after school hours...on Tuesday. Photo: Folashade Adebayo
FOLASHADE ADEBAYO, who visited the state, reports

The spectacle inside the Mafoni Government Day Secondary School, Maiduguri, Borno State, was that of excitement and delight on Tuesday. Dressed in their white and blue uniforms, pupils playfully chased one another around the premises. Once the school closed for the day, they trooped out into a bus parked outside the premises, shoving and pulling one another to get a seat.

That these youngsters felt this way was not surprising. For more than 20 months, they had parted ways, abandoning their studies. The state government had shut the school, among other public schools, following the invasion of the Giwa Barracks, Maiduguri, by insurgents in March 2014.

Except for the Federal Government College, Maiduguri, all public schools were closed for academic activities. The authorities had also converted many of the schools to emergency camps for Internally Displaced Persons.

Even at that, terrorist had attacked the MGDSS on two occasions.

But speaking to our correspondent on Tuesday in Maiduguri, the Deputy Director, School Management, state Ministry of Education, Alhaji Dauda Dibal, said schools were reopened in 20 centres last week following improved security.

According to him, some of the centres located in Maiduguri, Biu and Askira Uba, are designated to accommodate pupils from other parts of the state where insecurity is still rife.

With the resumption, however, there have come some new challenges. While it was bad enough that many public school pupils in the state are behind their colleagues from other parts of the country by two sessions, Dibal noted that terrorists killed more than 80 teachers in the state.

Besides, he stated that many teachers in the employ of the state had retired from service.

Dibal said, “Day schools have resumed last week but we have a shortage of teachers. There are subject areas that have yet to be covered and we need to recruit 5,000 teachers to fill the gap. We have submitted a memo to the governor to that effect.

“Some teachers were killed by the insurgents while some retired from the service. There are teachers who did not even go on transfer, they just abandoned their duty posts and we have yet to see them. Pupils’ population has increased because the inhabitants of Maiduguri have also increased.”

Dibal added that some non-governmental organisations had indicated interest in providing solutions to the infrastructure challenges in the schools.

“The state government is trying its best but the level of carnage is beyond our capability. Schools were burnt down with their libraries, laboratories and furniture. The United Nations Children Fund provided mobile schools and toiletries at the IDP camps. We are asking for assistance not only from these organisations but also from the Federal Government,” he said.

Aside from the teachers and facilities razed by the insurgents, the hiatus has taken its toll on the academic fortunes of the pupils, as all of them would repeat their classes. The Principal of MGDSS, Hadiza Abba-Aji, said her school was about rounding off the second term examination last year when it was shut.

“How do you place a pupil who has been away for 20 months? They have to repeat their classes and, even at that, our teachers have to put in extra effort to brush them up. The development was a setback for everybody. There are challenges because this is the first time this is happening in the history of this state,” she said.

Despite these concerns, it appears that the pupils could not be bothered. Umar, a Senior Secondary 2 pupil who claimed he kept busy as a computer operator, said he was happy to be back in school.

“I am not sad that I have to repeat my class. I am only happy that I am back to school and can see my teachers and friends. I was tired of not coming to school but I am happy that the worst is over. I am only hoping that schools will not be shut

http://www.punchng.com/20-months-after-borno-schools-reopen-need-5000-teachers/
Re: 20 Months After: Borno Schools Reopen, Need 5,000 Teachers by FOLYKAZE(m): 11:08pm On Dec 11, 2015
Normalcy returning to Borno. PMB and PYO cleansing the horror birthed by PDP under the reign of GEJ.

Education shalk triump. Boko Haram will never kill it
Re: 20 Months After: Borno Schools Reopen, Need 5,000 Teachers by crosbyted(f): 11:08pm On Dec 11, 2015
I'll comment later
Re: 20 Months After: Borno Schools Reopen, Need 5,000 Teachers by TrappKING(m): 11:42pm On Dec 11, 2015
Needs "5000" teachers

This one na real END TIME JOB oo cheesy

1 Like

Re: 20 Months After: Borno Schools Reopen, Need 5,000 Teachers by Pavore9: 12:15am On Dec 12, 2015
Who would leave the south for a job there!
Re: 20 Months After: Borno Schools Reopen, Need 5,000 Teachers by olajadex(m): 12:57am On Dec 12, 2015
You mean the monthly salary is 500k?
Re: 20 Months After: Borno Schools Reopen, Need 5,000 Teachers by MansaMoussa: 1:02am On Dec 12, 2015
Instead of making the pay super attractive to make the best of Naija Graduates to troop up there in search of Gold..they'll let ethnic and religious considerations hinder the closing of the lacuna created in the education sector of the state by the insurgency..
Re: 20 Months After: Borno Schools Reopen, Need 5,000 Teachers by Blackfire(m): 2:19am On Dec 12, 2015
Picture this , u run to your family ,in a happy mood u tell them u ve gotten a job(after 10years of graduating), and one of the family member asked u, 'where is the school at?' and u shakingly say 'it is brono state'.
... What do u think they will to u?
Re: 20 Months After: Borno Schools Reopen, Need 5,000 Teachers by virus05(m): 3:57am On Dec 12, 2015
Blackfire:
Picture this , u run to your family ,in a happy mood u tell them u ve gotten a job(after 10years of graduating), and one of the family member asked u, 'where is the school at?' and u shakingly say 'it is brono state'.
native doctor tinz..they will goto Indian temple to change ur mind ..
Re: 20 Months After: Borno Schools Reopen, Need 5,000 Teachers by chiscodedon(m): 5:25am On Dec 12, 2015
unless they go pay me 1m per month
Re: 20 Months After: Borno Schools Reopen, Need 5,000 Teachers by sinkhole: 5:26am On Dec 12, 2015
Blackfire:
Misconception!Guy I have been to Maiduguri and I can tell you it is not all that bad, if the government can make the pay attractive and the condition of service too besides, if they can shun ethnicity in the recruitment process, I am telling you they will get more than enough teachers from all over Nigeria!
Re: 20 Months After: Borno Schools Reopen, Need 5,000 Teachers by sinkhole: 5:29am On Dec 12, 2015
chiscodedon:
unless they go pay me 1m per month
How much are the soldiers that are dying daily collecting?
1m ko, the whole state budget ni grin

(1) (Reply)

$2.1bn Arms Cash: Olisa Metuh Spends First Night In EFCC Cell Over N1.4bn Traced / Comedian Ali Baba's Take On The Rule Of Law / Wanna See Crude Prices Rise? Pray For War Btw Saudi And Iran

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.