Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,672 members, 7,820,359 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:35 PM

Great Theistic Quotes - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Great Theistic Quotes (2620 Views)

Why Are You Theistic, Atheistic Or Agnostic? / When Does The Human Life Begin In The Theistic Worldview? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Great Theistic Quotes by KAG: 2:43am On Jun 05, 2009
We had the atheist one and it'd be interesting to see what the theist one will be like. Feel free to submit motivational, inspiring, and loving quotes. By the same token, there's no need to shy away from also posting the downright nasty, vicious and divisive quotes by theists. Let's try not make this a "quote from my religious book" thread.

I'll start:

One of my favourites, The prayer of Saint Francis of Assisi

Lord, make me an instrument of your peace.

Where there is hatred, let me sow love;
Where there is injury, pardon;
where there is doubt, faith;
where there is despair, hope;
where there is darkness, light;
and where there is sadness, joy.

O Divine Master, grant that I may not so much seek
to be consoled as to console;
to be understood as to understand;
to be loved as to love.
For it is in giving that we receive;
it is in pardoning that we are pardoned;
and it is in dying that we are born to eternal life. Amen

- Prayer of Saint Francis of Assisi
Re: Great Theistic Quotes by KAG: 3:29am On Jun 05, 2009
Often a non-Christian knows something about the earth, the heavens, and the other parts of the world, about the motions and orbits of the stars and even their sizes and distances,,  and this knowledge he holds with certainty from reason and experience. It is thus offensive and disgraceful for an unbeliever to hear a Christian talk nonsense about such things, claiming that what he is saying is based in Scripture. We should do all that we can to avoid such an embarrassing situation, lest the unbeliever see only ignorance in the Christian and laugh to scorn.

- St. Augustine, "De Genesi ad litteram libri duodecim" (The Literal Meaning of Genesis).

"My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness."

- Tenzin Gyatso (present Dalai Lama)

"One's own thought is one's world. What a person thinks is what he becomes."

- From the Maitri Upanishads

"No peace among the nations without peace among the religions.
No peace among the religions without dialogue among the religions.
No dialogue among the religions without investigation of the foundation of the religions"
~Hans Küng
Re: Great Theistic Quotes by Tudor3(m): 7:32am On Jun 05, 2009
Set synagogues on fire,destroy the jewish prayerbooks,forbid the rabbis from preaching. Also seize their property and money,smash up their homes so that these poisonous envenomed worms would be forced into labour or expelled for all time - spirit led Martin Luther.
Re: Great Theistic Quotes by KAG: 5:24pm On Jun 05, 2009
Oh yes, Martin Luther was a wonderulf one, especially when it came to the Jews.

He who hears this name [God] from a Jew must inform the authorities, or else throw sow dung at him when he sees him and chase him away.

-Martin Luther (On the Jews and Their Lies)

They [rulers] must act like a good physician who, when gangrene has set in proceeds without mercy to cut, saw, and burn flesh, veins, bone, and marrow. Such a procedure must also be followed in this instance. Burn down their synagogues, forbid all that I enumerated earlier, force them to work, and deal harshly with them, as Moses did,

If this does not help we must drive them out like mad dogs.

My essay, I hope, will furnish a Christian (who in any case has no desire to become a Jew) with enough material not only to defend himself against the blind, venomous Jews, but also to become the foe of the Jews' malice, lying, and cursing, and to understand not only that their belief is false but that they are surely possessed by all devils. May Christ, our dear Lord, convert them mercifully and preserve us steadfastly and immovably in the knowledge of him, which is eternal life. Amen.

Sauce:http://nobeliefs.com/luther.htm
Re: Great Theistic Quotes by noetic2: 5:31pm On Jun 05, 2009
I love this:

No, everyone is born Christian. Only later in life do people choose to stray from Jesus and worship satan instead. Atheists have the greatest "cover" of all, they insist they believe in no god yet most polls done and the latest research indicates that they are actually a different sect of Muslims.

Anonymous.
Re: Great Theistic Quotes by noetic2: 5:34pm On Jun 05, 2009
check this out

Gravity: Doesn't exist. If items of mass had any impact of others, then mountains should have people orbiting them. Or the space shuttle in space should have the astronauts orbiting it. Of course, that's just the tip of the gravity myth. Think about it. Scientists want us to believe that the sun has a gravitation pull strong enough to keep a planet like neptune or pluto in orbit, but then it's not strong enough to keep the moon in orbit? Why is that? What I believe is going on here is this: These objects in space have yet to receive mans touch, and thus have no sin to weigh them down. This isn't the case for earth, where we see the impact of transfered sin to material objects. The more sin, the heavier something is.

-Anonymous
Re: Great Theistic Quotes by noetic2: 5:49pm On Jun 05, 2009
Plagues are good and God knows this. Without them he couldn't teach us how to stop them. -- Jerry Myers

I don't know how 'real' Noah was, or how real Jonah was either, but the signature of the Divine is all over their stories. Since I do things on a regular basis that defies the laws of physics, I can speak with some authority on the matter. -- vtailor

Jesus rose from the dead - no Jew or Muslim did that. Please spare me the fact that Jesus was a Jew, which is true -- duke32

Atheists are known for making absurd claims for which there is no documentation, or claims for which there is considerable documentation in the opposite directions. Or even claims for which there is absolutely no documentation and which all the documentation contradicts -- Reese

You seem to be concentrating on all negative affects of infant mortality. As I said some babies are just to good to live in this world. -- skii
Re: Great Theistic Quotes by KAG: 12:26am On Jun 06, 2009
noetic2:

Plagues are good and God knows this. Without them he couldn't teach us how to stop them. -- Jerry Myers

I don't know how 'real' Noah was, or how real Jonah was either, but the signature of the Divine is all over their stories. Since I do things on a regular basis that defies the laws of physics, I can speak with some authority on the matter. -- vtailor

Jesus rose from the dead - no Jew or Muslim did that. Please spare me the fact that Jesus was a Jew, which is true -- duke32

Atheists are known for making absurd claims for which there is no documentation, or claims for which there is considerable documentation in the opposite directions. Or even claims for which there is absolutely no documentation and which all the documentation contradicts -- Reese

You seem to be concentrating on all negative affects of infant mortality. As I said some babies are just to good to live in this world. -- skii

Someone's been to fstdt. There are many hilarious quotes from fundies there. It was Trinidad and Tobago on CARM (CARM has way of breeding idiots) that said the Atheists are Muslims thing.

This is still one of my favourites:

One of the most basic laws in the universe is the Second Law of Thermodynamics. This states that as time goes by, entropy in an environment will increase. Evolution argues differently against a law that is accepted EVERYWHERE BY EVERYONE. Evolution says that we started out simple, and over time became more complex. That just isn't possible: UNLESS there is a giant outside source of energy supplying the Earth with huge amounts of energy. If there were such a source, scientists would certainly know about it. [emphasis added]

- awesomestnerd, SmashBoards
Re: Great Theistic Quotes by KAG: 12:31am On Jun 06, 2009
You say you're supposed to be nice to the Episcopalians and the Presbyterians and the Methodists and this, that, and the other thing. Nonsense. I don't have to be nice to the spirit of the Antichrist.
[Pat Robertson, The 700 Club, January 14, 1991]

“A man can have sex with animals such as sheeps, cows, camels and so on. However, he should kill the animal after he has his orgasm. He should not sell the meat to the people in his own village; however, selling the meat to the next door village should be fine.”

- Ayatollah Khomeini, from Khomeini's book, "Tahrirolvasyleh"

Perhaps there was an organization in Phineas' day known as the N.A.A.C.P. (National Association for the Advancement of Canaanite People) who took exception with this teaching of segregation. Perhaps there were pulpits proclaiming a more tolerant and socially accepted view and government agency crusading for 'affirmative action.' We really do not know; but we do know from the Bible story in Numbers chapter 25 that the Israel people began to disobey God's law, accept integration, cultural exchange and a type of interracial marriage, and thus were struck collectively by a plague. Phineas was the man who courageously fought against the racial treason even to the point of bloodshed, and he too was honored by God.
[Pastor Pete Peters, THE BIBLE: Handbook For Survivalists, Racists, Tax Protestors, Militants And Right-Wing Extremists, ND, Scriptures For America, La Porte, Colorado, pp. 4-5]
Re: Great Theistic Quotes by Purist(m): 1:59pm On Sep 11, 2012
God, grant us the. . .
Serenity to accept things we cannot change,
Courage to change the things we can, and the
Wisdom to know the difference.
Patience for the things that take time
Appreciation for all that we have, and
Tolerance for those with different struggles
Freedom to live beyond the limitations of our past ways, the
Ability to feel your love for us and our love for each other and the
Strength to get up and try again even when we feel it is hopeless.
- [Commonly attributed to Reinhold Niebuhr . . . erroneously attributed to St. Francis of Assisi]
Re: Great Theistic Quotes by NairalandSARS: 5:30pm On Jul 24, 2017
noetic2:
check this out

Gravity: Doesn't exist. If items of mass had any impact of others, then mountains should have people orbiting them. Or the space shuttle in space should have the astronauts orbiting it. Of course, that's just the tip of the gravity myth. Think about it. Scientists want us to believe that the sun has a gravitation pull strong enough to keep a planet like neptune or pluto in orbit, but then it's not strong enough to keep the moon in orbit? Why is that? What I believe is going on here is this: These objects in space have yet to receive mans touch, and thus have no sin to weigh them down. This isn't the case for earth, where we see the impact of transfered sin to material objects. The more sin, the heavier something is.

-Anonymous

This is officially the dumbest thing I have ever read on the internet!

(1) (Reply)

I Need Your Prayers And Words Of Encouragement / What If You're Wrong? / True Humility Is Submitting To The Lordship Of The Word- Pastor Chris

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.