Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,735 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:34 PM

Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? - Investment (21) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? (122773 Views)

3 Easy Ways To Survive The Present Financial Meltdown In The Nigerian Economy / Beware Of Wonder Banks, CBN Warns / The Meltdown Of The Nigerian Capital Market: Causes And Consequences (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by AjanleKoko: 12:17pm On Feb 05, 2013
mhoo: Hello people... Wish I could go through every page of this thread but I can't at the moment but judging from the first and last page of this thread I know we have some highly-informed people around. A quick Q: Can someone give useful info on the test format for FBN? Need this info ASAP pls! Thank you!

WAEC aptitude test format.
Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by mhoo(f): 8:05am On Feb 06, 2013
AjanleKoko:

WAEC aptitude test format.

Thanks a lot. Just seeing this... Did the test yesterday; the Qs weren't so bad but were quite time-consuming. Absolutely keeping my fingers crossed.
Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by Siicker(m): 10:09pm On Feb 19, 2013
mhoo:

Thanks a lot. Just seeing this... Did the test yesterday; the Qs weren't so bad but were quite time-consuming. Absolutely keeping my fingers crossed.

Hey. Pls, kindly send me a mail at siicker@mtnnigeria.blackberry.com need your help. Thanks
Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by mhoo(f): 11:34pm On Feb 19, 2013
Siicker:

Hey. Pls, kindly send me a mail at siicker@mtnnigeria.blackberry.com need your help. Thanks

Can't seem to be able to reach you even via this email addy... Sup?
Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by Phonon: 9:12pm On Feb 21, 2013
Got invited for Cardinal Stone Partners aptitude test for Investment Banking Analyst.Does anyone know what sort of test it is?
Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by omotee90: 4:37pm On Feb 22, 2013
mhoo: Hello people... Wish I could go through every page of this thread but I can't at the moment but judging from the first and last page of this thread I know we have some highly-informed people around. A quick Q: Can someone give useful info on the test format for FBN Capital? Need this info ASAP pls! Thank you!

@..mhoo , Hi... I wrote d same test on feb 12 but i have not heard from them since then... Wat is d status of ur own application pls. Thanks
Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by Phonon: 8:14pm On Feb 22, 2013
Anyone with useful information on CardinalStone Partners interview for Investment Banking Analyst (Entry Level)?
Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by oneblacboi: 10:47pm On Feb 22, 2013
Phonon: Anyone with useful information on CardinalStone Partners interview for Investment Banking Analyst (Entry Level)?

Its maths and English! 30 questions each. Standard math questions. No calculator allowed.
Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by oneblacboi: 10:55pm On Feb 22, 2013
omotee 90:

@..mhoo , Hi... I wrote d same test on feb 12 but i have not heard from them since then... Wat is d status of ur own application pls. Thanks

FBN Cap has started interviewing people who passed the test. Did mine earlier in the day
Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by mhoo(f): 8:09am On Feb 23, 2013
omotee 90:

Still no word from them but keeping my fingers tightly crossed!
oneblacboi:

FBN Cap has started interviewing people who passed the test. Did mine earlier in the day

@oneblacboi, Pls when did you write your test and when did you get feedback? Wrote mine 5th Feb. What was the interview like?
Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by Phonon: 12:41pm On Feb 23, 2013
Thanks.Though I have already written the test and calculators were allowed.Expected to be called for an interview.Any ideas on their interview process and their pay package(they did require test takers to indicate their expected salary and bonus on the day of the test)?
oneblacboi:

Its maths and English! 30 questions each. Standard math questions. No calculator allowed.
Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by Admitwithschola: 4:13pm On Feb 23, 2013
Phonon: Thanks.Though I have already written the test and calculators were allowed.Expected to be called for an interview.Any ideas on their interview process and their pay package(they did require test takers to indicate their expected salary and bonus on the day of the test)?

Salary is 160K per month.

Interview questions will be asked to reveal how interested you are in the firm and in investment banking. Questions like where you see yourself in two years, is not uncommon. Prepare for technical questions too.

I got this info from a guy who attended an interview there, but eventually accepted another offer from transocean
Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by Admitwithschola: 4:15pm On Feb 23, 2013
oneblacboi:

Which position are you interviewing for at FBN?
Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by Phonon: 10:05pm On Feb 23, 2013
Thank you for this information.I will be ready for the interview by the time the invitation comes.Do you have any other info on things like bonuses offered(they did ask on the day of the test for expected bonus),training, etc.Thanks in anticipation of your response.
Admitwithschola:

Salary is 160K per month.

Interview questions will be asked to reveal how interested you are in the firm and in investment banking. Questions like where you see yourself in two years, is not uncommon. Prepare for technical questions too.

I got this info from a guy who attended an interview there, but eventually accepted another offer from transocean
Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by chandler05: 3:56pm On Feb 25, 2013
Please those any one have relevant information with respect CardinalStone Partners interview for Investment Banking Analyst Entry Level?

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by oneblacboi: 4:34pm On Feb 25, 2013
I wrote my test on the 8th of Feb. The interview was just a normal one. Where do you see urself in 5 years etc

mhoo:

Still no word from them but keeping my fingers tightly crossed!

@oneblacboi, Pls when did you write your test and when did you get feedback? Wrote mine 5th Feb. What was the interview like?
Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by oneblacboi: 4:40pm On Feb 25, 2013
Normal Interview questions - ur strengths, ur weaknesses, 5yrs from now and get ready for a market sizing question (google it if you do not know what that means)

First interview would be with the team you would be working with and the second would be with the partners.

The firm has a salary structure so forget about whatever you wrote when taking the test. The only issue is that you might be offered a lower wage if ur desired is lower than the structured pay.

I wish you all the best.
chandler05:
Please those any one have relevant information with respect CardinalStone Partners interview for Investment Banking Analyst Entry Level?

2 Likes

Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by oneblacboi: 4:41pm On Feb 25, 2013
Grad Trainee

Admitwithschola:

Which position are you interviewing for at FBN?
Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by Siicker(m): 11:43am On Mar 11, 2013
Who.
Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by blessedtj(m): 7:21pm On Apr 05, 2013
I am in final year studing accounting, also writing PE 2 of ICAN. i will love to be a portfolio manager. pls i need mentor in the house to direct me on how to go abt it. i will love to work in an investment company to gather experience as regard my future ambition.
what should i be doing now when i am in school? i need good friends in this field to associate with.i promise to be a good character
Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by kcpumpin(m): 1:57pm On Apr 08, 2013
Please I'm in for a test at vetiva later this week, Ild appreciate anybody with detailed idea or experience on how to prepare for this test to avail such information to me asap. Your kindness is well appreciated..
Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by TCann(m): 3:19pm On Apr 16, 2013
...woooowww

Cant believe this thread I opened in 2009 is still up and running. How time flies and the life changes that could have occurred to one in the space of time!..... grin grin.

Hmmmmm, I guess I should come here often to contribution one or two things that have become clearer over the years.

Kudos to tbk417, Ajanlekoko, Sagamite, Jarus etc....some people ought to be accorded due respect on this NL and with all sense of sincerity, these guys and others have been here since, contributed to the lives of thousands and what more, are still even very much relevant now. God bless you.

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by TCann(m): 3:55pm On Apr 16, 2013
violent:

The choice to move back home after an Ivy MBA, for most people is due to personal preference to be at home....not because they couldn't get a choice job after graduation. While staying in the West may bring you some good wealth and healthy career prospects, it takes you away from your friends, family and the life you are used to. For many people, this is a big factor! [size10pt] Rencap wouldn't pay you 15k dollars a month, but at least you may potentially earn 2 million naira a month[/size] and enjoy the comforting feeling that comes with being home!

If you expect to earn the good returns for your Ivy MBA, then it makes sense to stay in an environment that is ready to pay for it. If you don't plan staying in such an environment due to family attachments and personal obligation, then you may have to reconsider the objectives of investing in an MBA!

grin grin grin grin....an ivy leaggie's monthlies is another kpako guy's side hustling returns in a month (still keeping the day time job) Just marvel most times at the human's path...spend so much time, energy, money, life-pausing on MBAs, CFAs etc to 'earn' what, to become what? employee? What next??

Our quests and race in life always reminds me of a story i read sometimes ago on FB- big boys from wall street high finance, had a plane crash and got rescued by some fishermen. On the trip to the shore, the finance guys, despising the easygoing, non-paced, time oblivious lifestyle of the fishermen, asked them whether the wouldn't love to go the school, get a good MBA, work for Goldman Sachs and earn millions other than just 'lazying' on the island and doing nothing else than fishing all day. The fishermen in response, asked the Finance guys, what is their plan after retirement...they responded saying- they would use all their millions to get a small beach condo, walk around on the beach and enjoy the breeze generally and fish. The fishermen men said that is exactly the life they are leading now and what would they need the millions for again?

A man will work for 30 something years rising to become a director, ED and upon retirement, now ends up to set up and run a 'pure water' factory or poultry......

Most times, I don't understand this life sef!

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by Mustay(m): 4:15pm On Apr 16, 2013
^^^Lol!

Sometimes, you ask "what's the purpose of life?"

All the same, like the fishermen's story, I feel life is about learning - the more reason why some people say they are students of life.

Principally, we pick one or two things here and there, using them to face everyday challenges. Street sense + book sense.
Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by TCann(m): 4:20pm On Apr 16, 2013
blessedtj: I am in final year studing accounting, also writing PE 2 of ICAN. i will love to be a portfolio manager. pls i need mentor in the house to direct me on how to go abt it. i will love to work in an investment company to gather experience as regard my future ambition.
what should i be doing now when i am in school? i need good friends in this field to associate with.i promise to be a good character

Keep focus on your ICAN and don't for one second derail from qualifying....when you graduate plus your ACA, beautiful things will def happen.(buh you still have a lil assignment to do, starting from the 1st day of your NYSC towards getting your dream job...)

BTW...what are you graduating with? 2.1 or 2.2? God bless you.
Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by AjanleKoko: 6:31pm On Apr 16, 2013
^^
Curious question. Why is ICAN necessary for a career in IB?
I don't really see the direct relevance, other than the accounting qualification. Maybe a masters in Finance?
Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by nitrogen(m): 7:50pm On Apr 16, 2013
^^ I think it is relevant, since PE 2 has Strategic Financial Management, which one has got to study extensively before passing it, then ICAN should be. Also a little of Management Accounting will help in the IB world too.

Might it interest you that one of the 'big four' requires ICAN qualification or CFA level 2 for their T&R(Transaction and restructuring)unit-which is part of what IB firms in Nigeria do.

Seriously, one cannot dispute the fact that a Masters in finance or/and CFA is/are the best for career progression in that field, but ICAN qualification will still help starters in the IB world.
Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by nitrogen(m): 8:01pm On Apr 16, 2013
@T-cann, first of all, God bless you for opening this wonderful thread. Really helped a lot of guys.

Meanwhile, that fisherman and the big boys' story (quite a funny one), indirectly tells how funny this life is. What are we working for sef? At times, I sit down and reflect on some things, and what concludes everything is 'what a crazy world!' But wetin conman go do?

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by candylips(m): 9:29am On Apr 17, 2013
lol the fisher man and big boys theory plays out in majority of peoples life.

but i think most people will rather have it this way.

reason may be because.

When u are old and retired you should take life slow and enjoy the rest of your days

When u are young and active. you should explore your intellect to the fullest, become the best you can be in your career.

living a fishermans' life all ones life sucks actually especially when u are young and restless

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by AjanleKoko: 9:32am On Apr 17, 2013
candylips: lol the fisher man and big boys theory plays out in majority of peoples life.

but i think most people will rather have it this way.

reason may be because.

When u are old and retired you should take life slow and enjoy the rest of your days

When u are young and active. you should explore your intellect to the fullest, become the best you can be in your career.

living a fishermans' life all ones life sucks actually especially when u are young and restless

One day sha, we go block for this Lagos embarassed
Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by TCann(m): 10:02am On Apr 17, 2013
AjanleKoko: ^^
Curious question. Why is ICAN necessary for a career in IB?
I don't really see the direct relevance, other than the accounting qualification. Maybe a masters in Finance?

Bros, Longest time...permit me to disagree abit with that view point. Reason? From my cursory observation of the labour employment landscape in Naija o, I have had to come to the following conclusions:

1. The top available openings are majorly biz admin/ management related backgrounds ones (Cos why would Vet docs, engineers, architect after obtaining their degrees wind up in Wyse & PYE tution houses to take ICAN and ACCA?)

2. It is a very wrong view to think ICAN's ACA qualification is just a mere accounting relevant qualification. It does so much more! (I know you know- i think you re just pulling legs, even in your telco sector there, several of them took the exams with us then. we were students then and they were already working in places like MTN and Celtel- we could sense their desperation to pass, some even would tell you what awaits them when and if they qualify for the ACA)

3. As a fresh graduate, the doors that ICAN's ACA qualification may open for you IN NAIJA, a Masters may not quickly open it (though after entry, you may have a bit of an edge as a Msc holder, grade placement wise ( but not necessarily promotion)- This is obtainable in most companies and even the banks, ask them sir!

4. As per our friend in PE2 that I advised to finish his ICAN, bros you know how it works na, he doesnt have to jump straight into the Investment portfolio role upon finishing NYSC, his ACA will most def grant him an audience with the likes of PwC, KPMG or even the medium ones as Dafinone, SIAO etc, these places are good training grounds, boys have done 2 to 3 yrs in KPMG to move on to higher beautiful roles in other beautiful companies with some mouth watering stuffs. These other companies know the stuff they re made of and the value addition the guys are bringing on board. (Am not saying without ACA, PWC or KPMG will not allow you for a test, but i think your chances are better with it or even almost completing it)

5. The fluidity at which ACA holders (fresh or entry level 0-4 yrs) move at the presentation of a better opportunities between jobs have not been matched in our labour market (except those that have experience 5-10 yrs are those that record similar fluidity) I know of a friend that changed 3 'good' jobs within the space of one yr, getting a quadruple of the 1st job offer on the 3rd job- just Bsc, ACA, 1 yr exp. His is still on the 3rd job and adding MBA& some other prof qualifications before moving again.

In conclusion, let me disclaim the above,(lol) as there is no hard and fast rule to these issues in life. what works for Kola may not necessarily work for Bayo. I am a very good example. This life is just with several twists and turns. I'll just enjoin our brothers & sisters soon to plunge into the market to keep focus, stick to your God, take the job search thing as a full time endeavor, put your all into it, if you haven't concluded your NYSC, start applying right from NYSC, package your cover letter, CV and copies of your credentials and put them in clean envelopes and invest money to either dispatch it to the HR directors of the companies you have earmarked to reach or go there and drop it in person. Wisely spend your money during service as i expect you to use your money more to package CVs and travel to drop CVs and attend tests than buying blackberries and taking girls to eateries.

God bless you all.

4 Likes

Re: Top 10 Best Nig. Investment Banks In This Meltdown Period? by TCann(m): 10:12am On Apr 17, 2013
nitrogen: @T-cann, first of all, God bless you for opening this wonderful thread. Really helped a lot of guys.

Meanwhile, that fisherman and the big boys' story (quite a funny one), indirectly tells how funny this life is. What are we working for sef? At times, I sit down and reflect on some things, and what concludes everything is 'what a crazy world!' But wetin conman go do?

Abi, May God help us. grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (Reply)

MMM Nigeria: 'I Am Doomed; I Need My Money Back...' Tears, Wailings Trail 'crash / MMM Blocks Withdrawal Of Funds For One Month! / Get Help Worldwide Is In Its Last Days. Beware!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.