Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,900 members, 7,834,995 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 12:13 AM

The True Picture Of The Media (PICS) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The True Picture Of The Media (PICS) (1448 Views)

The True Picture: Dont Hate Politicians The Problem Of Nigeria Is Nigerian / Buhari The North And The True Picture Of Nigeria's Federal Government Structure. / Is This A True Picture Of GEJ Packing Money To Otuoke Before Leaving Office? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The True Picture Of The Media (PICS) by azat: 10:55am On Dec 17, 2015
"Media's the most powerful entity on earth. They have the power to make the innocent guilty and make the guilty innocent, and that's power. Because they control the minds of the masses" -Malcom X

Re: The True Picture Of The Media (PICS) by dabigwalls: 10:57am On Dec 17, 2015
R
Re: The True Picture Of The Media (PICS) by xender(m): 10:59am On Dec 17, 2015
I suspect FP small.. make I Sidon ere
Re: The True Picture Of The Media (PICS) by Xslaze3xd(m): 11:01am On Dec 17, 2015
SomeTimes The Media Is An Irony
Re: The True Picture Of The Media (PICS) by BeeBeeOoh(m): 11:01am On Dec 17, 2015
If na lie b dis Makai take leg trek..
Re: The True Picture Of The Media (PICS) by SUGARBEE(f): 11:05am On Dec 17, 2015
The media sometimes is an opposite mirror reflection of what indeed happened but we can't strike out the fact that it has helped us in so many ways

[size=15pt]#SUGARBEE[/size]
Re: The True Picture Of The Media (PICS) by Lordave: 11:09am On Dec 17, 2015
Sahara Reporters
Re: The True Picture Of The Media (PICS) by libertyfather(m): 11:30am On Dec 17, 2015
AIT
Re: The True Picture Of The Media (PICS) by Khd95(m): 11:37am On Dec 17, 2015
xender:
this okada dy qo fp fa,u sure say u qo climbgrin
BeeBeeOoh:
If na lie b dis Makai take leg trek..
hehehehehehehgrin
xender:
this okada dy qo fp fa,u sure say u qo climbgrin
Re: The True Picture Of The Media (PICS) by DaBullIT(m): 11:54am On Dec 17, 2015
true
Re: The True Picture Of The Media (PICS) by babyfaceafrica: 12:13pm On Dec 17, 2015
I agree..especially this gbeborun bloggers like linda
Re: The True Picture Of The Media (PICS) by Sodiq3(m): 12:46pm On Dec 17, 2015
Well, it depends on the school of thought you belong to. Basically, I belong to the limited effect paradigm. Scholars who belong to the powerful effect paradigm believed that the media is so powerful that when a message is sent to the public, there is no two ways about it, we swallow the message and react it to with immediate effect. Audience here are seen as gullible, passive, weak and as sitting duck. Under this paradigm, we have the Framing theory. This theory posits that the 'media tell us how to think about an event or story'. Exactly as the above picture depicts, the media can make a corrupt person a saint and also make a saint looks like a devil'. If the media today want us to see Dasuki as a saint, they will. What it will take is just addition and substraction- Framing.

Do you know it was the western media that made Africans believed that the 'devil' is a black man and 'jesus' is a white man? If America wants to fight you in the next 20years, they will start now by using the media!

However, There are scholars who have debunked the assumption of the above paradigm. They carried out research and found out that the media is not that powerful as said by the magic bullet theorists. They are the limited effect theorists which I tend to align with. Here, the media is believed to be powerful, but with limit. According to the theorists, there are certain external factors that make us accept or reject what media tell us. like our individual differences, social categories, relationship with people, our already held beliefs and so on.

In summary, no matter the arguments from any school of thought, the media is indeed powerful. Mass media can make or mar you, Cause and settle conflict, create and kill you. It all depends on how the media is used.
Re: The True Picture Of The Media (PICS) by Sodiq3(m): 1:08pm On Dec 17, 2015
SUGARBEE:
The media sometimes is an opposite mirror reflection of what indeed happened but we can't strike out the fact that it has helped us in so many ways

[size=15pt]#SUGARBEE[/size]
Sure!
Re: The True Picture Of The Media (PICS) by Lionsclaw: 1:35pm On Dec 17, 2015
So true. In the destruction of todays world the media stands in the fore front

(1) (Reply)

Nnamdi Kanu Bubbly In Detention, Says Lawyer / BREAKING: Osun Sacks Striking Doctors-punch / Heartbreaking Photo Of A China Man Posing With A Borrowed Gun From Mopol

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.