Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,640 members, 7,813,135 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 07:36 AM

Criticising A Man Of God- Is It Right? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Criticising A Man Of God- Is It Right? (2128 Views)

Is It Right For A Church To Have Football Unit? / A Man Of God Called Rain Down During A Crusade. / Dr. Sign Fireman: Man Of God Or Man Of Money? (Video Documentary) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Criticising A Man Of God- Is It Right? by netman1(m): 12:49pm On Jun 08, 2009
Hi forumites,

I just want us to share our deas as regards to the criticism that is melted on men of God in nigeria today. Is it right, if yes, are there any scriptural references to that effect?

If it is not right, are there also any scriptural backings to that effect? what's the way forward on this issue
Re: Criticising A Man Of God- Is It Right? by spikedcylinder: 12:53pm On Jun 08, 2009
net man:

men

Bottom line is that they remain men. Whether of God or the Devil, they are men.
Re: Criticising A Man Of God- Is It Right? by KunleOshob(m): 12:59pm On Jun 08, 2009
@Post
How do you determine who a man of God is in the first place? Is it any clown that registers a church, rents a space, starts holding regular services and labels himself a pastor? Or is the the false prophets/ teachers the bible warned us about who would be mostly after extorting money from us. To answer your question yes we can critisize even genuine "men of God" after all Paul who was junior to Peter in the faith critisized Peter publicly when Peter was being hypocritical on the issue of circumcision. That apart the bible warned of several false prophets who would emerged and told us to be discerning. We were also told of the standards by which we should assess preachers[by their fruits we shall know them] so personally i feel free to criticize anybody that claims to be a man of God and is not displaying the fruits which the bible says they would display.
Re: Criticising A Man Of God- Is It Right? by Horus(m): 1:05pm On Jun 08, 2009
Any scammer can call himself a men of God.
Re: Criticising A Man Of God- Is It Right? by ogajim(m): 5:26pm On Jun 08, 2009
"Man of God" is probably the most misused/abused cliche out there right now and need to keep in mind that not all represent the man we know as our Lord and savior. If all Lizards lie prostrate, how can you tell which one has a belly ache?
Re: Criticising A Man Of God- Is It Right? by seyenko(m): 5:34pm On Jun 08, 2009
They are not men of God but men of Gold, they are to be jailed and not on the pulpit
Re: Criticising A Man Of God- Is It Right? by Abuzola(m): 5:43pm On Jun 08, 2009
Horus:

Any scammer can call himself a men of God.
\
true talk, most especially those pastors lol
Re: Criticising A Man Of God- Is It Right? by Ndipe(m): 7:38pm On Jun 08, 2009
Absolutely, if he is found wanting of his calling, like stealing, prostituting, abuse.
Re: Criticising A Man Of God- Is It Right? by Nikky23: 10:21pm On Jun 08, 2009
They are still human beings so whichever way, though it might be bes to just keep silent.
Re: Criticising A Man Of God- Is It Right? by AKO1(m): 9:58am On Jun 09, 2009
It depends on what you call criticism.

If it is baseless and is born out of idleness, like this guy that thinks T.B. Joshua is the anti-Christ, or accusing Oyakhilome of having jerry curls, then its wrong.

However, we can take a cue from the Berean Christians in the bible:
[center]Acts 17: 10-12

“And the brethren immediately sent away Paul and Silas by night unto Berea: who coming thither went into the synagogue of the Jews. These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so. Therefore many of them believed; also of honourable woman which were Greeks, and of men, not a few.
”[/center]

Notice that they: 1. Did not approach the word of God (as preached in the church/synagogue) with a hypercritical attitude and 2 (my point) They made sure that everything they heard aligned with scripture.

Such is the kind of criticism that is ideal. Something like KunleOshob's thread on tithing is an example, whether you agree or disagree with him. But often, people use such as a platform to attack or defend men of God, instead of attacking or defending doctrine.
Re: Criticising A Man Of God- Is It Right? by jookco(m): 12:08pm On Jun 09, 2009
Once you become born again you become the target of Satan, you need to wear the whole amour of God, satan can use a pastor who is not spiritually strong to test your faith , don't be deceived Pastor is nothing but a title it's never a confirmation that one is holy or spiritual minded person, so many pastors today live's carnal life more than you, listing to serve God is a determination. You have to make up your mind to serve him come rain come sun, that's why paul said in Hebrew 11:6 you must believe that God is , you need to know that we are talking about the same God that raise Lazarus from death, the God of Noah and Abraham, so decide to serve God or find for your self another religion or be an empty Christian, your level of confidence in God determinds the kind of blessings you receive from God, God can not do for you what you don't think he can do, you will keep finding fault until you make up your mind to serve the Lord, as a child of God you are not suppose to mock the Pastor let God judge, the book of Isaiah said in 28:22 Now therefore be ye not mockers.

I'm not a pastor I'm just like you but I have made up my mind to serve God, and I you also can do, read my article if you like at .
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-279448.0.html
Re: Criticising A Man Of God- Is It Right? by JJYOU: 12:36pm On Jun 09, 2009
Matthew 21:31 (New Living Translation)
Then Jesus explained his meaning: “[size=15pt]I tell you the truth, corrupt tax collectors and prostitutes will get into the Kingdom of God before you do. 32 For John the Baptist came and showed you the right way to live, but you didn’t believe him, while tax collectors and prostitutes did. And even when you saw this happening, you refused to believe him and repent of your sin[/size]s.

Luke 18:9-14 (New Living Translation)

Parable of the Pharisee and Tax Collector
9 Then Jesus told this story to some who had great confidence in their own righteousness and scorned everyone else: 10 “Two men went to the Temple to pray. One was a Pharisee, and the other was a despised tax collector. 11 The Pharisee stood by himself and prayed this prayer[a]: ‘I thank you, God, that I am not a sinner like everyone else. For I don’t cheat, I don’t sin, and I don’t commit adultery. I’m certainly not like that tax collector! 12 I fast twice a week, and I give you a tenth of my income.’

13 “But the tax collector stood at a distance and dared not even lift his eyes to heaven as he prayed. Instead, he beat his chest in sorrow, saying, ‘O God, be merciful to me, for I am a sinner.’ 14 I tell you, this sinner, not the Pharisee, returned home justified before God. For those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.”

Luke 18:14 — "I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: For every one that exalteth himself, shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself, shall be exalted."
Re: Criticising A Man Of God- Is It Right? by jumie(f): 2:33pm On Jun 09, 2009
Whether men of God or not, bible says "Judge not that you may not be judged, ". Only God is in the position to judge any man.
Re: Criticising A Man Of God- Is It Right? by kshow1(m): 3:08pm On Jun 09, 2009
jumie:

Whether men of God or not, bible says "Judge not that you may not be judged, ". Only God is in the position to judge any man.

i need not say more.
Re: Criticising A Man Of God- Is It Right? by russellino: 3:21pm On Jun 09, 2009
The bible tells us to worship in "Spirit and Truth". If a man of God (an anointed preacher) does what goes against the Word I'm sure as shoot going to say he's wrong. the tricky part is not shaking the faith of those who are not very strong in the Word
Re: Criticising A Man Of God- Is It Right? by KunleOshob(m): 3:31pm On Jun 09, 2009
russellino:

The bible tells us to worship in "Spirit and Truth". If a man of God (an anointed preacher) does what goes against the Word I'm sure as shoot going to say he's wrong. the tricky part is not shaking the faith of those who are not very strong in the Word

Well those who place their faith in these so called men of god are already in error and their faith is not real. it is mis-placed.
Re: Criticising A Man Of God- Is It Right? by solosimple(m): 4:00pm On Jun 09, 2009

Judging someone and criticizing someone don't mean the same thing. The kind of judgment the Bible tells us not to use against anyone is condemnation. However, we can discern, rebuke, refute, instruct, warn/admonish, expose, correct and examine a matter and then pass judgment. for example, Paul confronted Peter and rebuked him for his hypocrisy. Paul told the church at Corinth to examine a matter concerning the immoral brother, he passed his judgment on that. Jesus at one time rebuked peter with these word: GET THEE BEHIND ME SATAN, that was because his word was contrary to God's will. Paul, Peter and John warned the believers about false teachers and erring brothers, in which they mention their names in most cases. Also, consider our Paul rebuked the believers in Gal 2. If u call that criticism, that was a godly one, and we shouldn't reject such in our days. Observe that Paul mentioned Peter's name and I'm sure the Epistle must have gotten to almost all the believers in Galatia and beyond Galatia. Peter didn't feel bad about it and no believer write in defense of peter 'cos everyone could see that he was wrong. The same Peter adjusted his teachings by that rebuke, as we can see it from his epistles.
BUT WHY DO PEOPLE HAVE PROBLEMS IN OUR DAYS WHEN NAMES ARE MENTIONED?
I can go ahead and write in many words with accurate scriptural references, but I don't think there's a need for that.
This is a very simple matter that does not need arguments. Don't judge/condemn anybody. BUT a true believer must keep to the good fight of faith, always ready to rebuke, refute and expose those who contradict the glorious Gospel that was delivered to us, irrespective of the person's status or influence.
Re: Criticising A Man Of God- Is It Right? by origina9ja(f): 4:18pm On Jun 09, 2009
Re: Criticising A Man Of God- Is It Right? by ogajim(m): 6:53pm On Jun 09, 2009
Any real "Man of God" will speak the truth to the "powers that be too" and not fraternize with the same people that looted the national treasury and now feels bad enough to drop some "change" in the "tithe" or offering basket not to talk of the "new building fund" . Some people get indoctrinated to the point of being zombies and yes men. Don't even ask Nigerian churches (Anywhere) to be transparent with their finances, that could get one expelled or tagged something other than someone seeking accountability, omase o!
Re: Criticising A Man Of God- Is It Right? by richjohn1(m): 8:25am On Jun 10, 2009
The phrase 'man of god' disgusts me alot sad well there's always be fools on earth else who will lead and who will follow
Re: Criticising A Man Of God- Is It Right? by nuraabi: 9:20am On Jun 10, 2009
THE FIGHT WE HAVE IS TO EXPOSE CULTS AND FREE PEOPLE FROM DELUDED MEN AND WOMEN

So what do we say of a WHITE Lady who was abused by TB JOSHUA in SA, she got out of her delusion and the web of deciet and cried cry out and she has had television interviews warning about the danger of that CULT
SHOULD SHE NOT MAKE A JUDGEMENT? SHOULD SHE BE QUITE and let others fall victim.
But the black man is too respectful to say anything!
Another crook was asked to step down from his WORK after he had decieved they people for a long time time, Africa man no mind, [ only GOD can jugge a man,]

Cases of FRAUD will never be mentioned in this of the globe
Cases of Abuse will never be mentioned
Cases of deciets and FAKE miracles are hush hush.

Thank God for a forum where can talk and others can talk. I have nothing against anyone

Nothing is new under the sun
people were decieved before on a global scale by CULTS AND FANATICS in the name of GOD.
Some will remain deluded and other will come out some will not join that is the way it is.

FIND OUT A LITTLE BIT MORE ABOUT THESE MEN AND WOMEN OF GOD ITS BETTER TO KNOW FOR ONE SELF SO WE KNOW WHERE WERE ARE BEING LED TO
TO FOLLOW A MAN ON THE WRONG PATH KEEP ONE ON THE SAME PATH

AMIEE SEMPLE MCPHERSON
KATHERINE KULMAN
BENNY HILL
TD JAKES
REV HENRY JAMES PRINCE [Agapemonites]
JOSEPH SMITH
DAVID KORESH

THE LIST GOES ON,

SOMETIMES
IF ITS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE ITS MOST LIKELY IT IS NOT.

TRY EVERY SPIRIT, ABRAKADABRA IS NOT SUPPOSE TO BE EASILY DETECTED!
Re: Criticising A Man Of God- Is It Right? by banom(m): 1:09pm On Jun 10, 2009
@ Topic,

It is bad to judge a man of God,but it is very good to expose and judge a scammer who operates in the name of a man of God.
Re: Criticising A Man Of God- Is It Right? by KunleOshob(m): 1:20pm On Jun 10, 2009
banom:

@ Topic,

It is bad to judge a man of God,but it is very good to expose and judge a scammer who operates in the name of a man of God.
GBAM!!!!!! grin
Re: Criticising A Man Of God- Is It Right? by nuraabi: 12:55pm On Jun 11, 2009
Benny Hinn
Benny Hinn, is one of today's best-known televangelists.

His theology is based largely on that of the Word-Faith movement, with a heavy emphasis on the so-called "Prosperity Gospel." His teachings, behavior and practices have made him controversial among Christians and non-Christians alike.

Benny Hinn was born Toufik Benedictus Hinn in the coastal city of Jaffa in Israel in 1952. He was one of eight children born to an Armenian mother and a Greek father. The family was Greek Orthodox. In 1968, they emigrated to Canada settling in Toronto and Benny, who by this time was a young teenager, began attending Georges Vanier High school, north of Toronto.

While at school, Benny befriended a group of religious students who introduced him to prayer meetings and teaching of the Gospel. Benny eventually became a Born Again Christian, despite concerns and initial opposition of his family. When he was 21, he attended a healing service in Pittsburgh headlined by evangelist Kathryn Kuhlman. She would become a major influence on his life, so much so, that he emulates her style to this day.

Benny Hinn began his healing ministry in Toronto by hosting his own evangelical program on local television. His success in Canada inspired him to travel with his healing missions. In Orlando, Florida he met and married Suzanne, the daughter of a local pastor and it was there that Benny Hinn began to build his evangelical empire.

Today he is known as Pastor Benny. Without doubt he is one of the best known and possibly richest televangelists in the world. Each year he travels the world conducting so-called miracle healing crusades that are very closely patterned to a rock concert tour.

He produces a daily television show called “This is Your Day” from his studios based in California and has written several books about his life and ministry, which he markets and sells, along with video tapes of his crusades, music CDs and bibles.

Benny Hinn is also a proponent of the Prosperity Gospel or the Word of Faith movement. As is implied by the name "Prosperity Gospel" the supporters believe that faith works as a mighty power or force. That it is through their faith that they can obtain anything they want – such as health, wealth, or any form of personal success. However, this force is only released through their faith. According to Pastor Benny if a person expresses their faith by sowing a sufficient monetary seed into his ministry - that person will be granted divine physical healing.

Some Christian groups have been critical of Benny Hinn for preaching the Prosperity Gospel and for misinterpreting scriptures on a number of occasions. Read more on the Apologetics Index, an online resource on religions.

He has also been criticized by a number of Christian watchdog groups for not joining the Evangelical Council for Financial Accountability. The Council is the leading accreditation agency that helps Christian ministries earn the public’s trust through adherence to seven standards of accountability. It has over 1,100 members, including Pat Robertson and Billy Graham. Benny Hinn refuses to join.
Source: Do You Believe in Miracles?Canadian Broadcasting Corporation, The Fifth Estate (Last accessed: Dec. 15, 2004)

Why is Benny Hinn Controversial?
Benny Hinn is controversial for the following reasons:

his frequently aberrant - and at times heretical - theology,
his false prophecies,
his unorthodox behavior,
his financial practices,
his false claims, and
his foolish statements.
Nevertheless, large numbers of people who indentify themselves as Christians follow - and at times even appear to worship - this preacher. This reflects a trend in Christianity, referred to as 'experience over doctrine.' It means that more value is given to (sensual) experiences than to sound doctrine.

Since sound doctrine provides us with the tools to determine whether or not a teaching or practice is Biblical, the 'experience over doctrine' approach leaves Christians wide open for error.

Don't Touch God's Annointed?
Some Christians believe that it is wrong for Christians to criticize the teachings and practices of evangelists like Benny Hinn. They point out:

that Jesus taught his followers not to judge (Matthew 7:1), and
that the Bible says not to 'touch God's annointed.' (Psalm 105:15)
The notion that these verses forbid Christians from examining the teachings and practices of other Christians is the result of faulty interpretation. For details on this issue, see the following Apologetics Index entry:
• Should Christians Judge? Does the Bible not warn against 'touching God's annointed'?

The Bible teaches that all Christians should learn how to discern between orthodoxy and heresy. It tells us to test everything, and to then hold on to that which is good. (See: 1 Thessalonians 5:19-22). This necessarily involves 'judging' - not of the person, but of his or her teachings and practices (to see whether or not they are Biblical).

Benny Hinn, however, claims that the same Holy Spirit who inspired Scripture tells him something different:

The Holy Ghost is upon me, The day is coming when those that attack us will drop dead. You say, 'What did he say?' I speak this under the anointing of the Spirit. Can I tell you something? Don't touch God's servants; it's deadly, Woe to you that touch God's servants. You're going to pay. 'And the day will come.' The Lord said that to me. He said, 'The day will come when I will punish instantly. Woe to those who touch my chosen.' They will fear us. Hear this: today they mock us; tomorrow they will fear us.
Source: Benny Hinn, "Miracle Invasion Ralley," Anaheim Convention Center November 22, 1991, quoted in Christianity in Crisis, Hank Hanegraaff.

Instead of obeying God's Word, many of Benny Hinn's followers share his unbiblical rejection of accountability regarding his teachings and practices.

Note that the Bible foretold that there would come a time when certain people will simply not put up with sound doctrine, but instead seek out teachers and teachings which suit their own desires:

Preach the Word; be prepared in season and out of season; correct, rebuke and encourage--with great patience and careful instruction. For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear.
Source: 2 Timothy 4:2-3 NIV

This is a fitting description of the 'experience over doctrine' approach noted earlier.

For more on these issues, see:
• What is discernment? How should it be applied?
• A Biblical Guide to Orthodoxy and Heresy

(1) (Reply)

Tupac On Religion / Something Cuts Her Body At Night.advise Pls. / What Happens Immidiately After Death

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.