Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,734 members, 7,862,392 topics. Date: Sunday, 16 June 2024 at 03:23 PM

The Virgin As Coredemptrix - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Virgin As Coredemptrix (954 Views)

Why I Deny The Virgin Birth Of Jesus / "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" / Final Dagger To The virgin birth Crap (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Virgin As Coredemptrix by PastorAIO: 9:49am On Jun 09, 2009
[b]Is Mary the 'Coredemptrix' of humanity?
[/b]by Francis X. Rocca
Religion News Service

VATICAN CITY -- When Pope Benedict XVI told a crowd in St. Peter's Square in April that the Virgin Mary "silently followed her son Jesus to Calvary, taking part with great suffering in his sacrifice, thus cooperating in the mystery of redemption and becoming mother of all believers," most listeners probably heard nothing remarkable in the statement.

After all, devotion to Mary is a pervasive element of the Catholic faith, and one of the features that most clearly distinguishes it from Protestantism.

Yet for one group of devotees, Benedict's statement was a milestone -- a sign that he had moved one step closer to granting their wish for a new dogma on Mary's contribution to human salvation.

This movement to equate her to Jesus as redeemer is gathering strength in the Catholic folds. Any opinions?

http://pewforum.org/news/display.php?NewsID=18162
Re: The Virgin As Coredemptrix by rotimy(m): 1:58pm On Jun 09, 2009
Even the Pope knows that it will not go down well with many Catholics especially the egg- head non conservative theologians like Hans Kung, Yves Congar and Raymond Brown
Re: The Virgin As Coredemptrix by Carlosein(m): 6:01pm On Jun 09, 2009
Pastor AIO:

This movement to equate her to Jesus as redeemer is gathering strength in the Catholic folds.  Any opinions?

Pastor AIO, how did you deduce the above from your original quote and the link provided?

note two words coredemptrix and redeemer.
Re: The Virgin As Coredemptrix by PastorAIO: 6:14pm On Jun 09, 2009
Sorry, I was under the impression that a redemptrix was one that redeemed and a co-redemptrix was one that redeemed with another.  Am I wrong?
Re: The Virgin As Coredemptrix by Carlosein(m): 6:17pm On Jun 09, 2009
before i answer you, i'd like to know if you actually read the link you provided?
Re: The Virgin As Coredemptrix by debosky(m): 6:21pm On Jun 09, 2009
There is no such thing as a 'coredemptrix' at least when it comes to Jesus.

This whole thing is a creation of the Catholic church with no basis in the bible. Nowhere was Mary called the mother of all believers, just as Joseph is not the father of all believers.

They already ask her to pray for them anyways, it won't really make much of a difference to add another erroneous title to the 'mother of god' appellation she has been given already.
Re: The Virgin As Coredemptrix by Carlosein(m): 6:48pm On Jun 09, 2009
that there is no such thing as 'coredemptrix', albeit debatable, does not excuse the fact that OP was trying to
present a fallacy (redemptrix for redeemer) when the source article says no such thing of the catholic church or the pope.

a little research by OP would have sufficed to clear things up (heck, even a dictionary!).
Re: The Virgin As Coredemptrix by debosky(m): 6:52pm On Jun 09, 2009
@ Carlo

I believe the aim of the OP (albeit not clearly stated) was to state that this 'coredemptrix' appellation was a step on the path to 'converting' Mary into a redeemer herself. It's not really about a dictionary, it's about the steps that would lead to a declaration that Mary was equal with Jesus in the act of redemption.

That is my understanding of the OP, though I may be wrong.
Re: The Virgin As Coredemptrix by Carlosein(m): 7:03pm On Jun 09, 2009
i disagree with you debosky, the OP's original statement was
Pastor AIO:

This movement to equate her to Jesus as redeemer is gathering strength in the Catholic folds. Any opinions?

if you think that is not a 'clear' statement, then citing the article to buttress his point when there is no 'clear' statement in it
to buttress his claim is being mischievious to say the least.

then again debo, did you read the link provided?
Re: The Virgin As Coredemptrix by ifele(m): 11:17pm On Jun 09, 2009
There is nothing in the New Testament that says we should bow down to or pray to images of saints.

Stay away from idolatry believers
Re: The Virgin As Coredemptrix by debosky(m): 11:53pm On Jun 09, 2009
Carlosein:

i disagree with you debosky, the OP's original statement was
if you think that is not a 'clear' statement, then citing the article to buttress his point when there is no 'clear' statement in it
to buttress his claim is being mischievious to say the least.

then again debo, did [i]you read the link provided?
[/i]

Maybe semantics is the problem here - he is alluding that the coredemptrix issue is a means to achieve a hidden goal. That is what is not 'clear'.

Whether I read the article or not is irrelevant - I am interpreting the casual linkage he has made between the coredemptrix matter and a perceived (by him) move to make Mary the redeemer alongside Jesus, nothing more.
Re: The Virgin As Coredemptrix by PastorAIO: 1:04am On Jun 10, 2009
In fact, the Church's magisterium (te[b]aching authority) has grown ever more convinced of the soundness of this insight of the Fathers and Doctors over the centuries and has come to see the Protoevangelium as a revelation of the indissoluble bond between Jesus and Mary in the work of our salvation[/b]. The Second Vatican Council's Constitution on the Sacred Liturgy, Sacrosanctum Concilium, provides explicit corroboration of such an association by stating that Mary "i[b]s inseparably linked to her Son's saving work[/b]" (indissolubili nexu cum Filii sui opere salutari coniungitur) (#103) (5). This follows logically from a principle of capital importance enunciated by Blessed Pope Pius IX in his Apostolic Constitution Ineffabilis Deus of 8 December 1854, namely that "God, by one and the same decree, had established the origin of Mary and the Incarnation of Divine Wisdom" (6).

http://www.fifthmariandogma.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=349:the-proposed-marian-dogma-the-qwhatq-and-the-qwhyq&catid=133:front-page

The concept of Co-redemptrix refers to an indirect or unequal but important participation by the Blessed Virgin Mary in redemption. She gave free consent to give life to the redeemer, to share his life, to suffer with him under the cross and to sacrifice him for the sake of the redemption of humankind.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Co-Redemptrix
Re: The Virgin As Coredemptrix by Lady2(f): 6:56am On Jun 10, 2009

This is not even supported by the article. But rather your assumption that the Church wishes to equate her to Jesus as redeemer. Ever heard of a Co-Pilot? Is the Co-Pilot the Pilot?

We are all Co-redeemers? Co-Mediatrix?
As horrible as it may sound to you maybe learning what they actually mean and seeing that even Paul speaks of himself as such will help you better understand your own faith.

The concept of Co-redemptrix refers to an indirect or unequal but important participation by the Blessed Virgin Mary in redemption. She gave free consent to give life to the redeemer, to share his life, to suffer with him under the cross and to sacrifice him for the sake of the redemption of humankind

So now the question is, did she not consent to give life to the redeemer? "Let it be done to me according to your word"
Did she not share in his life? As mother, as disciple?
Did she not suffer with him? What mother would watch her son die innocently and not feel suffering? Also as Simeon prophecies when Mary and Joseph presented Jesus to the temple, Mary's soul was to be pierced with a soul, that is referencing her own suffering.
Did she not sacrifice him for the sake of the redemption of humankind? Did she not idly watch by as her own Son was betrayed, ridiculued, insulted, scourged, and crucified?

I don't mind people having an opposition to the Church, it will always be there, it was there even before the birth of the Church. What I cannot stand is when people cannot formulate a credible logical explanation for their stance. So I urge you to please be different and formulate a credible logical explanation for your stance against the Church.

ifele:

There is nothing in the New Testament that says we should bow down to or pray to images of saints.

Stay away from idolatry believers

Is the New Testament the only part of the Bible?
Re: The Virgin As Coredemptrix by PastorAIO: 8:14am On Jun 10, 2009
~Lady~:

I don't mind people having an opposition to the Church
, it will always be there, it was there even before the birth of the Church. What I cannot stand is when people cannot formulate a credible logical explanation for their stance. So I urge you to please be different and formulate a credible logical explanation for your stance against the Church.

Is the New Testament the only part of the Bible?

I get what is biting you catholic people. You've got a persecution complex. I'm not attacking anyone or in opposition to anyone, church or otherwise.

I guess you've been bashed around so much by the pentecostals on this forum and the outside world that you imagine any attempt to discuss catholic doctrine to be an attack.

Me, I just found an interesting article that I thought was worth discussing. I realise now that anything of the sort will be impossible with you guys. I've been here before when I quoted a historical event from the early church councils and some catholics started foaming and cussing me. It was just an historical fact.

Anyway sha, yes I had read the article before posting it and I do know what a redemptrix is. I shouldn't have said equal to jesus as redeemer perhaps, but the basic point remains the same.

In any case, I have no more desire to discuss this subject with anyone, especially not a nairaland catholic.
Re: The Virgin As Coredemptrix by Lady2(f): 8:32am On Jun 10, 2009
I get what is biting you catholic people. You've got a persecution complex. I'm not attacking anyone or in opposition to anyone, church or otherwise.

It wasn't directed at you alone, it was a general saying and it is not limited to Catholic topics. I have logic wanting in other forums too and not just nairaland. I guess at this time I have no patience for idiocrisy. It's human beings in general, and I fall in there too sadly.

Me, I just found an interesting article that I thought was worth discussing. I realise now that anything of the sort will be impossible with you guys. I've been here before when I quoted a historical event from the early church councils and some catholics started foaming and cussing me. It was just an historical fact.

No you didn't, you came off with an attack against the Church.

You made a statement as a fact, and the fact you were stating is that the Church tries to equate Mary with Jesus and that there's supposed to be some kind of campaign towards that. Please go back and read your first post. Maybe you're so used to making statements like that that you just don't realise when you've spoken ignorantly.

<<Anyway sha, yes I had read the article before posting it and I do know what a redemptrix is. I shouldn't have said equal to jesus as redeemer perhaps, but the basic point remains the same.>>

It is not redemptrix, it is co-redemptrix, it is when people wrongly use words that blur the meaning of the word.
How does the basic point remain the same?

If by basic point you mean you want to discuss the article? Ok that's a good basic point.
Re: The Virgin As Coredemptrix by debosky(m): 11:24am On Jun 10, 2009
~Lady~:

So now the question is, did she not consent to give life to the redeemer? "Let it be done to me according to your word"
What 'consent'? She obeyed God, SIMPLE! If she didn't someone else would have been used, so Mary in herself is of LOW significance.

Did she not share in his life? As mother, as disciple?
Yes she did, lots of mothers share their kids lives, it doesn't make them co-redemptrixes.

Did she not suffer with him? What mother would watch her son die innocently and not feel suffering? Also as Simeon prophecies when Mary and Joseph presented Jesus to the temple, Mary's soul was to be pierced with a soul, that is referencing her own suffering.
No one is denying her suffering, does the suffering make her integral to the process of redemption? NO

Did she not sacrifice him for the sake of the redemption of humankind? Did she not idly watch by as her own Son was betrayed, ridiculued, insulted, scourged, and crucified?
You speak as if she had a choice! Jesus lay down his life - she did not sacrifice ANYTHING since she had no choice in the matter. She COULD NOT stop it even if she wanted to, just as no one on earth could stop it. She experienced pain, but she did nothing 'on behalf of mankind'. Only Jesus did.

I don't mind people having an opposition to the Church, it will always be there, it was there even before the birth of the Church. What I cannot stand is when people cannot formulate a credible logical explanation for their stance. So I urge you to please be different and formulate a credible logical explanation for your stance against the Church.

This is not about any 'opposition' to the Church, it is about an idea external to the bible and completely at odds with Jesus teaching that he is The Way, The Truth and The Life.

We all have a role to play in Christianity, but no one, NO ONE has a higher role except Jesus - the rest of us are all followers, with no co-redemptrix status or any other inventions by the Catholics.
Re: The Virgin As Coredemptrix by Carlosein(m): 12:40pm On Jun 10, 2009
Pastor AIO:

I guess you've been bashed around so much by the pentecostals on this forum and the outside world that you imagine any attempt to discuss catholic doctrine to be an attack.

Anyway sha, yes I had read the article before posting it and I do know what a redemptrix is. I shouldn't have said equal to jesus as redeemer perhaps, but the basic point remains the same.

In any case, I have no more desire to discuss this subject with anyone, especially not a nairaland catholic.

now that's the spirit. redemptrix does not mean redeemer. catholics know this and will never claim otherwise.
the article cited also says so in several places.
Re: The Virgin As Coredemptrix by Carlosein(m): 12:44pm On Jun 10, 2009
debosky:

Maybe semantics is the problem here - he is alluding that the coredemptrix issue is a means to achieve a hidden goal. That is what is not 'clear'.

Whether I read the article or not is irrelevant - I am interpreting the casual linkage he has made between the coredemptrix matter and a perceived (by him) move to make Mary the redeemer alongside Jesus, nothing more.

tell me you actually believe that!
Re: The Virgin As Coredemptrix by debosky(m): 12:49pm On Jun 10, 2009
Carlosein:

tell me you actually believe that!

Believe it? What argument have I made regarding the contents of the article?

I have made no comments as to the article itself - it's contents do not prevent us discussing the validity of this coredemptrix idea. As you should have noted from my post, I do not support the coredemptrix principle, regardless of whether it equates to redeemer or not. I hope that is clear now.
Re: The Virgin As Coredemptrix by Carlosein(m): 1:10pm On Jun 10, 2009
debosky:

Believe it? What argument have I made regarding the contents of the article?

I have made no comments as to the article itself - it's contents do not prevent us discussing the validity of this coredemptrix idea. As you should have noted from my post, I do not support the coredemptrix principle, regardless of whether it equates to redeemer or not. I hope that is clear now.

so all you are spoiling for is a baseless and senseless argument. undecided
Re: The Virgin As Coredemptrix by debosky(m): 1:28pm On Jun 10, 2009
Carlosein:

so all you are spoiling for is a baseless and senseless argument. undecided

If that's how you choose to perceive it, that remains your prerogative - read my initial post: The coredemptrix matter is a prolongation of the Catholic practise of assigning unbiblical titles and roles to individuals (Mary) and I disagree with this principle. I will also not be surprised if this is stealthily changed at some future date to become something else.
Re: The Virgin As Coredemptrix by Carlosein(m): 1:31pm On Jun 10, 2009
now we know who has issues.
Re: The Virgin As Coredemptrix by debosky(m): 1:34pm On Jun 10, 2009
Oh yes. I have issues with certain practises of the Catholic Church and I have clearly said so - this just happens to be one of them.
Re: The Virgin As Coredemptrix by Carlosein(m): 1:41pm On Jun 10, 2009
cool cool
Re: The Virgin As Coredemptrix by Lady2(f): 1:31am On Jun 11, 2009
What 'consent'? She obeyed God, SIMPLE! If she didn't someone else would have been used, so Mary in herself is of LOW significance.

Isn't obedience a choice? Isn't a choice a consent? If she had the possiblity to disobey doesn't that mean she has the possiblity to obey as in give consent?

Or is it that you do not know what consent means?

Yes she did, lots of mothers share their kids lives, it doesn't make them co-redemptrixes.

Um yes it does, it most certainly does. I would advice you to actually learn what co-redemptrix means before you start flaring up against it and showing your ignorance.

No one is denying her suffering, does the suffering make her integral to the process of redemption? NO

Would you mind showing how it does not?

You speak as if she had a choice! Jesus lay down his life - she did not sacrifice ANYTHING since she had no choice in the matter. She COULD NOT stop it even if she wanted to, just as no one on earth could stop it. She experienced pain, but she did nothing 'on behalf of mankind'. Only Jesus did

She did have a choice, she could have prevented her heartache by saying no to God's will. By accepting his will she also accepted his suffering, also don't forget the prophecy by Simeon that she too would suffer.

No one says she did anything on behalf of mankind, see this is why I said you should find out what co-redemptrix mean, you just may find out that you're acting against what you're saying right now

We all have a role to play in Christianity, but no one, NO ONE has a higher role except Jesus - the rest of us are all followers, with no co-redemptrix status or any other inventions by the Catholics

Could you kindly explain how the co-redemptric title places Mary or anyone above Jesus?
Re: The Virgin As Coredemptrix by debosky(m): 9:23am On Jun 11, 2009
~Lady~:

Isn't obedience a choice? Isn't a choice a consent? If she had the possiblity to disobey doesn't that mean she has the possiblity to obey as in give consent?

Or is it that you do not know what consent means?
Obedience is a choice - but she was A vessel, meaning others could be used. As such, she is not indispensable. Even if she disobeyed, it wouldn't prevent Jesus' birth.

Um yes it does, it most certainly does. I would advice you to actually learn what co-redemptrix means before you start flaring up against it and showing your ignorance.
No it doesn't.

The concept of Co-redemptrix refers to an indirect or unequal but important participation by the Blessed Virgin Mary in redemption. She gave free consent to give life to the redeemer, to share his life, to suffer with him under the cross and to sacrifice him for the sake of the redemption of humankind.

The views of Pope Leo XIII regarding Mary as Co-Redemptrix rely on Thomas Aquinas. From him he borrows the notion that Mary, in the hour of Annunciation, assumed the role of a helper in the mystery of redemption. Thus all Christians are born through Mary. [/b]With Jesus, Mary carried all in her womb.[b] Therefore all Christians are her children.

She was a vessel and nothing more . Why must everything have a fancy title in order to elevate people beyond what they aren't? Mary is NOT my mother and I am definitely not born through her. If the source of my opposition is not clear now, it never will be to you.

Would you mind showing how it does not?

Let me give you a scenario - if she died at childbirth, would Jesus still not go on to complete the work of redemption? Yes he would, meaning her suffering played no role in the redemption. It is the death of Jesus that achieves redemption - HIS suffering and no one else.

She did have a choice, she could have prevented her heartache by saying no to God's will. By accepting his will she also accepted his suffering, also don't forget the prophecy by Simeon that she too would suffer.
She had a choice in whether SHE would suffer, but if she refused, someone else would have taken her place. She made NO choice as to whether Jesus would die or not. In fact, once he was born, she was powerless to do ANYTHING about the path that was set already.

No one says she did anything on behalf of mankind
, see this is why I said you should find out what co-redemptrix mean, you just may find out that you're acting against what you're saying right now.

you said this
Did she not sacrifice him for the sake of the redemption of humankind?
Indicating she made a sacrifice FOR mankind, by your words. She did no such thing. The only 'choice' was in being a vessel by which Jesus came - beyond that, she did not do anything meriting of any other titles.

Could you kindly explain how the co-redemptric title places Mary or anyone above Jesus?

I never said the title places Mary above Jesus, reread my comment. I said there is Jesus and then followers, no coredemptrixes, no 'Mother of God' 'Mother of All Christians' or any other inventions of the Catholic Church.
Re: The Virgin As Coredemptrix by Lady2(f): 9:39pm On Jun 14, 2009
Obedience is a choice - but she was A vessel, meaning others could be used. As such, she is not indispensable. Even if she disobeyed, it wouldn't prevent Jesus' birth

And that automatically makes her irrelevant. It's funny first you say it wasn't a choice, now you say it's a choice. Pls make up your mind. So your mother would be irrelevant for choosing to give birth to you?
This is one of the biggest insult to motherhood and all women everywhere. We are not baby making factories.

No it doesn't.
Prove that it doesn't and pls make sure you explain it well.

She was a vessel and nothing more . Why must everything have a fancy title in order to elevate people beyond what they aren't? Mary is NOT my mother and I am definitely not born through her. If the source of my opposition is not clear now, it never will be to you.

So your mother is nothing more than a thing to bring you to earth?
Elevate who to what? God himself elevated her when he gave her a greeting fit for a queen. God himself Hailed her and you think you're bigger than God to reduce his own mother?
She is your mother, if Jesus is your brother, Mary is your mother, if she isn't, God the Father is not your Father because we are adopted sons and daughters of God through Christ (Galatians 4:4-5). Christ has a mother and father, if his father is your father, so is his mother. When a child is adopted, he is not adopted as the child of the mother and not the father or the father and not the mother.

So whether you deny it or not, if you are the brother of Christ, you are also the child of Mary. Not just that, Jesus gave Mary to us when he gave her to his beloved disciple at the foot of the cross, we are his beloved disciples, and John the beloved disciple was standing in place of us.

Let me give you a scenario - if she died at childbirth, would Jesus still not go on to complete the work of redemption? Yes he would, meaning her suffering played no role in the redemption. It is the death of Jesus that achieves redemption - HIS suffering and no one else.

Yes because she suffered to bring the redeemer to the world, so either way she did suffer too and it would probably be even greater, because it would mean she gave her life to bring the redeemer to the world.
I think that in itself is suffering galore.
But in reality she didn't die at childbirth, she saw her only son die at the foot of the cross, and it was prophecied by simeon that she too would suffer, so i think that's enough to tell us that she suffered.

She had a choice in whether SHE would suffer, but if she refused, someone else would have taken her place. She made NO choice as to whether Jesus would die or not. In fact, once he was born, she was powerless to do ANYTHING about the path that was set already.

And so because she suffered she is irrelevant?
That makes it even more meritorious, knowing that she doesn't HAVE to suffer, but she CHOSE to suffer, she allowed herself pain in order for you and me to receive salvation, that is a BIG deal and infact an insult to her by you.

you said this

ha nice try to twist my words.

Indicating she made a sacrifice FOR mankind, by your words. She did no such thing. The only 'choice' was in being a vessel by which Jesus came - beyond that, she did not do anything meriting of any other titles

You know what you're right she did do something for mankind, she gave us our redemption, our salvation. You do know that Jesus is our redemption, our salvation and she gave us him.

I never said the title places Mary above Jesus, reread my comment. I said there is Jesus and then followers, no coredemptrixes, no 'Mother of God' 'Mother of All Christians' or any other inventions of the Catholic Church.

Your own words below.

We all have a role to play in Christianity, but no one, NO ONE has a higher role except Jesus - the rest of us are all followers, with no co-redemptrix status or any other inventions by the Catholics

you insinuated that the title gives her a higher role than Jesus. If you believe it doesn't, what's the fuss about?
Re: The Virgin As Coredemptrix by debosky(m): 12:43am On Jun 15, 2009
Again you Catholics will stop at nothing with your twisted beliefs.

Jesus is the only begotten son of God - that sonship did not begin when Mary gave birth to Jesus, it has always been so - Mary being a vessel to bring Jesus into the world did not initiate that sonship and as such is NOT a part of the sonship I get through the death (NOT birth) and resurrection of Jesus.
~Lady~:

And that automatically makes her irrelevant. It's funny first you say it wasn't a choice, now you say it's a choice. Pls make up your mind. So your mother would be irrelevant for choosing to give birth to you?

Don't muddle things up - she had no choice as to Jesus' death. She did have a choice in allowing herself to be a vessel, so if she refused, ANOTHER vessel would have been chosen. In the bigger picture, whether Mary chose to birth the Saviour or not, it would have happened, so in that sense, her choice is secondary - I hope that is clear.

This is one of the biggest insult to motherhood and all women everywhere. We are not baby making factories.
Prove that it doesn't and pls make sure you explain it well.

The above explains it - I have no grouse with her motherhood, but that's where it ends motherhood, no co-redemptrix, nothing more.

So your mother is nothing more than a thing to bring you to earth?
This isn't about my mother - Jesus' case was an extraordinary case and yes, Mary was simply a vessel in a higher aim. My relationship with my mother is completely different - I was not the King of Kings who was brought through my mother, so we are of a different relationship.

Elevate who to what? God himself elevated her when he gave her a greeting fit for a queen. God himself Hailed her and you think you're bigger than God to reduce his own mother?

God's mother? When did God give her this title? He said she is blessed among women - where in the bible was she referred to as the mother of God? Show me. The greeting he gave her, did it include this 'mother of God' title?

She is your mother, if Jesus is your brother, Mary is your mother, if she isn't, God the Father is not your Father because we are adopted sons and daughters of God through Christ (Galatians 4:4-5). Christ has a mother and father, if his father is your father, so is his mother. When a child is adopted, he is not adopted as the child of the mother and not the father or the father and not the mother.

That is a humanistic interpretation - My adoption is spiritual not physical, since God my Father is a Spirit. This twisted interpretation of yours does not apply to me. Christ's human father was Joseph, and he was not my father, so Mary is not my mother.

So whether you deny it or not, if you are the brother of Christ, you are also the child of Mary. Not just that, Jesus gave Mary to us when he gave her to his beloved disciple at the foot of the cross, we are his beloved disciples, and John the beloved disciple was standing in place of us.

He did not give her to 'us' he gave her to the SPECIFIC person he was talking to - why the Catholics interprete this to mean 'us' is beyond me. If you think she was given to you, enjoy it, she wasn't given to me.

Yes because she suffered to bring the redeemer to the world, so either way she did suffer too and it would probably be even greater, because it would mean she gave her life to bring the redeemer to the world.
I think that in itself is suffering galore.
But in reality she didn't die at childbirth, she saw her only son die at the foot of the cross, and it was prophecied by simeon that she too would suffer, so i think that's enough to tell us that she suffered.

She suffered, no doubt about it, but she is not a part of redemption by her suffering. Mary Magdalene suffered as well watching Jesus die, and she was arguably closer to Jesus given what she went through, I guess she's also a co-redemptrix by virtue of suffering too.

And so because she suffered she is irrelevant?
That makes it even more meritorious, knowing that she doesn't HAVE to suffer, but she CHOSE to suffer, she allowed herself pain in order for you and me to receive salvation, that is a BIG deal and infact an insult to her by you.

Again, she did no such thing - if she did not play the role, someone else would have done it. Meritorious yes, but that's where it ends. She 'allow herself' pain yes - once Jesus was born, that was the end of it. If she chose to allow or not, it would not stop the work of salvation.

You know what you're right she did do something for mankind, she gave us our redemption, our salvation. You do know that Jesus is our redemption, our salvation and she gave us him.

She did no such thing - she is as much a recipient of salvation as the rest of us - this warped thought process of yours is the problem. She was a sinner and had to be saved like everyone else, so how can someone who needs redemption give redemption? Once again, she was a vessel for the physical birth of the Saviour, nothing more.

you insinuated that the title gives her a higher role than Jesus. If you believe it doesn't, what's the fuss about?

I did no such thing. Again, if comprehension is the problem, let me rephrase. All believers are equal, no one believer has a HIGHER role compared to other believers. Mary is a believer, she received Jesus into her life and got her own redemption that way, just like the rest of us. Yes she had a meritorious role in physical birthing of the saviour, but that's where it ends.
Re: The Virgin As Coredemptrix by Lady2(f): 6:07am On Jun 15, 2009
Jesus is the only begotten son of God - that sonship did not begin when Mary gave birth to Jesus, it has always been so - Mary being a vessel to bring Jesus into the world did not initiate that sonship and as such is NOT a part of the sonship I get through the death (NOT birth) and resurrection of Jesus

Gee I wonder how was Jesus supposed to die if he wasn't born? Yeah his birth meant nothing, the angels singing meant nothing, and the magi's visiting was just for show.

Don't muddle things up - she had no choice as to Jesus' death. She did have a choice in allowing herself to be a vessel, so if she refused, ANOTHER vessel would have been chosen. In the bigger picture, whether Mary chose to birth the Saviour or not, it would have happened, so in that sense, her choice is secondary - I hope that is clear.

Oh I'm not muddling things up. Your mother would be completely irrelevant, all she needed to do was bring you into the world as a baby making factory. Nice way to honour your mother and all mothers everywhere.

Oh she did have a choice, she knew her child would die, she knew his destiny and even after knowing she chose to give birth to him, even after realising the suffering she would have to go through she still chose to suffer, that is worth honour.

Forgive us for honouring a woman who shares a Son with God, who shares the same DNA with God, who contained God in her womb. Forgive us for choosing to honour a woman, who got pregnant without a man, infact pregnant by God, yes that's right she's God's baby mama, she gave birth to God, breastfed God, raised God, educated God, and nurtured God. And you think she is nothing but a vessel worthy of the same honour due you? You think you're on the same level with God's Mother? The woman who got pregnant for God? You really think she is worth nothing?
You really think she should be pushed to the background as someone irrelevant?
Is that how you would treat your own mother?
Is that how you expect your father to treat your mother? As someone irrelevant? Someone who just popped a baby out? A baby making factory? All she's good for is making babies? She is not worthy of having a say in your life? She isn't worthy of honour?
Is that what you think of women and all mother's everywhere?

The above explains it - I have no grouse with her motherhood, but that's where it ends motherhood, no co-redemptrix, nothing more.

Apparently you know nothing of motherhood. I feel sorry for your mother because now I know how you feel about her. She is nothing but someone who popped you out. Her relevance ends with her giving birth to you.

This isn't about my mother - Jesus' case was an extraordinary case and yes, Mary was simply a vessel in a higher aim. My relationship with my mother is completely different - I was not the King of Kings who was brought through my mother, so we are of a different relationship.
How is the relationship different? So Mary really isn't Jesus' mother? And all the times she was called his mother the Bible was lying?
And yes it is about your mother, it is about mothers everywhere. If the woman who gave birth to God will be disrespected by you, I wonder how it is you treat your mother.

God's mother? When did God give her this title? He said she is blessed among women - where in the bible was she referred to as the mother of God? Show me. The greeting he gave her, did it include this 'mother of God' title?

So Jesus isn't God? And Mary didn't give birth to him? Forgive my ignorance but I thought when a woman gives birth to a child she is the mother of a child. SO the woman who gave birth to debosky is the mother of debosky, but the woman who gave birth to Jesus, who is God, is not really the mother of Jesus and therefore not the mother of God. So the many times the Bible calls her his mother, the Bible was lying.

That is a humanistic interpretation - My adoption is spiritual not physical, since God my Father is a Spirit. This twisted interpretation of yours does not apply to me. Christ's human father was Joseph, and he was not my father, so Mary is not my mother.

No not a humanistic interpretation. I didn't even interpret anything, all I told you was what's the truth. Is Jesus your physical brother? Is God the Father your physical Father? Did your mother physically give birth to Jesus?
Mary is our spiritual mother, just as Jesus is our spiritual brother, and God the Father our spiritual Father.

Christ doesn't have a human father. His actual "biological" father is God the Father. Joseph did not give his sperm.

He did not give her to 'us' he gave her to the SPECIFIC person he was talking to - why the Catholics interprete this to mean 'us' is beyond me. If you think she was given to you, enjoy it, she wasn't given to me

If he was giving her to the specific person, the person's name would have been called, and since we know that person even wrote that gospel, that person could have inserted his name there, but he knew exactly what Jesus meant and didn't insert his name, because it wasn't for him alone.

She suffered, no doubt about it, but she is not a part of redemption by her suffering. Mary Magdalene suffered as well watching Jesus die, and she was arguably closer to Jesus given what she went through, I guess she's also a co-redemptrix by virtue of suffering too.

Oh yes she most definitely is. Just as those who are disciples of Christ are also co-redemptrix. I did ask you to learn what co-redemptrix means. When we suffer as disciples of Christ our suffering is joined to his on the cross, so even our suffering are co-redemptrix sufferings. See exactly why I said find out what co-redemptrix means?
Mary Magdalene can never be closer than the woman who raised God.

Again, she did no such thing - if she did not play the role, someone else would have done it. Meritorious yes, but that's where it ends. She 'allow herself' pain yes - once Jesus was born, that was the end of it. If she chose to allow or not, it would not stop the work of salvation

haha you just keep contradicting yourself. if it was meritorious why are you shouting when we recognise that merit?
But just to touch on what you're saying that it wouldn't change anything if she said no.
It would change a lot, because God won't be God. God would've been wrong about her, and we know God can never be wrong. How could he have been wrong? Before she conceived she was already called full of grace, and was already Hailed and honoured by God. Imagine someone God already honoured disobeying God, God apparently didn't get it right if that was the case and she wouldn't have been full of grace which would call God a liar.

It amazes me how you guys never take these things into account.

You don't even realise how you indirectly insult God and deny Jesus' divinity.

She did no such thing - she is as much a recipient of salvation as the rest of us - this warped thought process of yours is the problem. She was a sinner and had to be saved like everyone else, so how can someone who needs redemption give redemption? Once again, she was a vessel for the physical birth of the Saviour, nothing more.

So she didn't give birth to our redemption, our salvation? Jesus isn't our redemption, our salvation? hmm nice to know.

Jesus is more than the physical he is also spiritual. A person is more than the physical, a person consists of a body and soul, not just a body. Only zombies have no soul. Mary didn't give birth to a zombie, Jesus isn't a zombie. Jesus is fully man and fully God, if Mary gave birth to him, she didn't give birth to half of him, she gave birth to a full person with a body and soul. Jesus' soul is divine, she also gave birth to a divine being, and this divine being is God.
Your mother didn't give birth to you without a soul. Babies are not born without souls, they are born body and soul. They are not zombies at birth and then later their souls get infused in them.
Women do not give birth to half of a person. They give birth to a full person.

It's amazing how the grace Christ gives us is given to her before she even conceives Christ. hmmm,
yeah he wasn't even born when she had her fullness of grace.

I did no such thing. Again, if comprehension is the problem, let me rephrase. All believers are equal, no one believer has a HIGHER role compared to other believers. Mary is a believer, she received Jesus into her life and got her own redemption that way, just like the rest of us. Yes she had a meritorious role in physical birthing of the saviour, but that's where it ends

haha and the contradiction continues. Once again, amazing how she received the grace of Christ before she even knew she was to give birth to him.

(1) (Reply)

T.b Joshua Predicts Victory For Eagles (nig 3 Ken 1) (tun 1 Moz 2) / Islam And Christianity Are Both The Same. / Video: Oyedepo Slaps Goodluck Jonathan/ Argles For Tithes.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 153
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.