Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,352 members, 7,860,912 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 06:46 PM

Oby Ezekwesili Blasts CBN Governor Emefiele For Fixing Exchange Rate - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Oby Ezekwesili Blasts CBN Governor Emefiele For Fixing Exchange Rate (25004 Views)

Oby Ezekwesili Blasts NASS: "Senate Of Scandals, Fat Allowances, Tragi-Comedian" / "Anu Ofia" Oby Ezekwesili Blasts Internet Troll / Oby Ezekwesili Blasts Follower On Twitter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Oby Ezekwesili Blasts CBN Governor Emefiele For Fixing Exchange Rate by princemeadow(m): 10:38am On Dec 22, 2015
Realdeals:
Is she warming up to takeover from Emefiele?
Is she not qualified to be one?

1 Like

Re: Oby Ezekwesili Blasts CBN Governor Emefiele For Fixing Exchange Rate by kings09(m): 10:38am On Dec 22, 2015
E rili pain am cheesy
Hiploko:
have u other options that clicking ignore? When you are talking rubbish
Re: Oby Ezekwesili Blasts CBN Governor Emefiele For Fixing Exchange Rate by 9jatatafo(m): 10:40am On Dec 22, 2015
From #BBOG to #STN
*STN = Save The Naira
Re: Oby Ezekwesili Blasts CBN Governor Emefiele For Fixing Exchange Rate by chrisxxx(m): 10:41am On Dec 22, 2015
No be today e start. Ibos pulling Ibos down. Oby would find it difficult to criticize if Emefiele was a northerner or westerner. Nigeria would see the height of criticisms whenever an Ibo man becomes the president.
I must also say I am not a fan of Emefiele for reintroducing ATM charges. I still hold grudges for him. I don't mind supporting Oby to pull him down if only she would promise to remove ATM charges if she becomes the CBN governor.
Re: Oby Ezekwesili Blasts CBN Governor Emefiele For Fixing Exchange Rate by Hiploko(m): 10:44am On Dec 22, 2015
kings09:
E rili pain am cheesy
grin may you be scammed as we all have been scammed...
Re: Oby Ezekwesili Blasts CBN Governor Emefiele For Fixing Exchange Rate by 14(m): 10:51am On Dec 22, 2015
lets do the maths,

oil price 2013 = $112

oil price 2015 = $36

60 to 70% drop

if government used to make $100 from oil, now they make $30. Nigeria must just pray this oil price picks up sooner than later, if it stays at this level for the next 2yrs, reccession will be looming, the state will be failing to even pay salaries, economic melt down, social unrest, increase in crime. look whats happening in brazil, disaster. brace yoself
Re: Oby Ezekwesili Blasts CBN Governor Emefiele For Fixing Exchange Rate by Ijaya123: 10:59am On Dec 22, 2015
I blame GEJ for this. Only he knows why he appointed that guy as CBN governor.
Re: Oby Ezekwesili Blasts CBN Governor Emefiele For Fixing Exchange Rate by 400billionman: 11:03am On Dec 22, 2015
I am ashamed of Emefiele, a seasoned Zenith banker behaving like a puppet to please Buari..

The results have already shown that his policies are not workable..

1 Like

Re: Oby Ezekwesili Blasts CBN Governor Emefiele For Fixing Exchange Rate by banio: 11:04am On Dec 22, 2015
Emefiele is as confused as APC. He is scared that if left alone, the naira will fall and fall. And it will soon fall in love with #Tiinibugate
Re: Oby Ezekwesili Blasts CBN Governor Emefiele For Fixing Exchange Rate by Guyman02: 11:12am On Dec 22, 2015
ebosie11:

The former minister noted that Russia, another major oil-producing state, has not been badly affected by the plummeting crude oil price because the Central Bank of Russia ceased fixing the exchange rate of the country’s currency when it was faced with empirical evidence of the futility of doing such.

Madam, you are comparing Russia to Nigeria, do you you know that Russia is also one of the largest arms and machine exporters in the world while Nigeria is just a major OIL exporter.

1 Like

Re: Oby Ezekwesili Blasts CBN Governor Emefiele For Fixing Exchange Rate by Fawklicant: 11:12am On Dec 22, 2015
I guess madam is trying to remind Bubu that the cbn job is the only remaining available job she can take before she starts attacking his govt. #Hustlingthings.

And when the attack finally comes, all her previous supporters will jump ship and brand her wailer. Same way golden Boy FFK has been branded after he jumped ship. grin

Oya Bubu, do the needful so we can have rest. You have settled most of your other attack dogs save for madam Oby and Soludo. She seems to be reminding you not to forget her via twitter. Failure to compensate her might lead to #Bringbackournaira. tongue
Re: Oby Ezekwesili Blasts CBN Governor Emefiele For Fixing Exchange Rate by greatiyk4u(m): 11:21am On Dec 22, 2015
Bekwarra:
That ojuju Calabar. Korede Bello with earrings is more beautiful than Oby
A dullard spotted
Re: Oby Ezekwesili Blasts CBN Governor Emefiele For Fixing Exchange Rate by WaffenSS(m): 11:23am On Dec 22, 2015
oduastates:
Many people dey fall my hand.
Ekwesili is even using Russia as example.
That is a country with over 12 times the landmass of Nigeria. a country as scientifically and technologically advanced to rival any on the planet.
Russia has the Base to produce most of what it consumes ; if not all.
All they had to do is reduce or restrict imports and look inwards.
Honestly speaking, the Nigerian non-economy built on the foundation on corruption need to be dismantled first and rebuilt.
In a country with this much poverty, can anyone explain why prices rival those of more advanced and richer countries?
Is it not for this bogus illusion of wealth that smaller and poorer countries are able to build better infrastructure for less.
Yesterday, one person was complaining on twitter that he could not pay his children tuition oversea because of the restrictions.
I was like, are these guys for real?
I support the restrictions they are in order.
Look inwards.
It seems to me that most are not even aware of the dire strait Jonathan and Iweala left the country and what is about to hit them if oil prices continue to fall.
Obasanjo avoided those reckless policy prescriptions from the worldbank and IMF, Knowing fully well that the Nigeria would either be used as a dumping ground for poisonous chicken or the excess that cannot be sold at home by advanced countries or used by developing ones as an experimental ground on their way to the first world.
Mass corruption,reckless increase in the size of the government and foolish government policies leading to the enlargement of the appetite of the country for foreign imports.
Guess what, the per capita money coming from the Niger delta and diaspora keeps shrinking year by year and cannot pay for that appetite.

Exceptionally good points.

Russia doesn't just rely on oil. It also exports food, gas and weapons.
Re: Oby Ezekwesili Blasts CBN Governor Emefiele For Fixing Exchange Rate by salisy: 11:23am On Dec 22, 2015
PHfinest:

Since you claim to know more about the economy than PMB, it is definitely more obvious that PMB has absolutely no clue about what direction to steer the economy.

He fired so many people from the past administration, yet no liver to fire Emefiele?
Go and findout about what the CBN act says about hiring and firing
Re: Oby Ezekwesili Blasts CBN Governor Emefiele For Fixing Exchange Rate by salisy: 11:25am On Dec 22, 2015
jakiedudu:
Activities and policies of CBN are always tied to the fiscal policies of the executive arm of govt. If fiscal policy of the executive is not forth coming, the CBN device ways to bridge the gap. The current policies of CBN is a direct consequence of fall in oil price and lack of fiscal policy direction by the executive.
Based on your highlights, then GEJ is to be blamed, cos PMB just inherited the leftover of his fiscal policy
Re: Oby Ezekwesili Blasts CBN Governor Emefiele For Fixing Exchange Rate by greatiyk4u(m): 11:29am On Dec 22, 2015
LordAdam:
Someone should lock this woman up. Or at the very least, she should not be allowed to use Twitter unless she has taken her meds.

She is addressing the wrong issue. Russia is a world power, they produce most of what they need, and they have an incentive to let the rubies slide. A weakened currency is a blessing to any nation that exports a lot. Nigeria is in a different situation. We import everything from tooth pick to tomato paste. So I do not see her point.

She is only trying so hard to drum up public sentiments against Emefiele. I don't like the man, but I will not stand by for a saboteur like Oby to assassinate Emefiele's character. We are still reeling from the one they did to GEJ.

Her other suggestion about public sentiment on paper sounds great, but it is impractical. Most Nigerians know nothing about the economy and the process will be skewed, not to mention the huge monetary cost of ensuring smooth running of such process.

I pity Nigeria! And she is supposed to be a technocrat.

-Lord

Lord of ajasa
Re: Oby Ezekwesili Blasts CBN Governor Emefiele For Fixing Exchange Rate by menxer: 11:36am On Dec 22, 2015
The last remnant of cluelessness.

...but i don't buy the idea of CBN conducting a public debate on how to fix the Naira, what's the essence of the economic team?
Re: Oby Ezekwesili Blasts CBN Governor Emefiele For Fixing Exchange Rate by zynzyn(m): 12:02pm On Dec 22, 2015
ebosie11:
Former vice president of the World Bank, Mrs Obiageli Ezekwesili has criticized the policies of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) under the leadership of Mr Godwin Emefiele.

Ezekwesili, a former member of the federal executive council, condemned the CBN for pursuing what she described as an “anachronistic exchange rate management” which she said also actively rewards corruption.

Accusing the CBN Governor, Emefiele of doing more damage to the Nigerian currency in a bid to pander to political emotion, Ezekwesili advised that the most honourable path for the CBN in the present situation is to accept that it made the wrong decisions and reverse its steps.

The former minister noted that Russia, another major oil-producing state, has not been badly affected by the plummeting crude oil price because the Central Bank of Russia ceased fixing the exchange rate of the country’s currency when it was faced with empirical evidence of the futility of doing such.

Besides criticizing Emefiele’s decision to fix the exchange rate, Ezekwesili also gave her opinion of what she believes the foreign exchange rate should be:

By FIXING the rate @cenbank basically FROZE the market for supply & demand of Forex & what we see are all forms of CONTROLS that don't work.
— Oby Ezekwesili (@obyezeks) December 21,2015

The exchange rate should be "the ratio between the demand for foreign currency and its supply in the FX market". @cenbank RESTORE THIS.
— Oby Ezekwesili (@obyezeks) December 21,2015

Ezekwesili further challenged the CBN to organise a public debate on its exchange rate management policy in the new year so that the apex bank can take public input into its policy formulation process.

https://mobile.twitter.com/obyezeks/status/679007339886723072

U go soon see fire for fire Acada argument!

Emiefiele will not take this lying low!!

Oya Econs students, open your textbooks and listen!!

May the best brain win!!!
Re: Oby Ezekwesili Blasts CBN Governor Emefiele For Fixing Exchange Rate by nairapip: 12:24pm On Dec 22, 2015
oduastates:

My analogy

Your chicken, that used to give birth to 2 babies ( chucks) all of a sudden started pricing 10 chickens because the sun was shining.
Instead of being cautious of this unusual bounty,you decided to live large.
Married two more wives
Threw big parties everyday and live life to the fullest.
Put it on my tab you said to everybody
This bounty continued for 5 years until one say, you woke up to find that your bird is only giving birth to one chick
Meanwhile you have debts everywhere from beer supplier to.... Caterer.
You have also refused to adjust to your new reality.
Meanwhile more people now sell chicken.
Are you prepared for N500 to $1 because the dollar supply will not increase but the unhealthy appetite for imported rubbish will still be there.
Meanwhile, Nigeria has less than 1 year worth of forex.
You nay choose to propone the pain

I SM SORRY TO SAY THAT THE PAIN IS/WAS INEVITABLE AND IT HAS TO BE ENDURED

Correct my guy ! Hitting the nail right on the head. If we must keep our cravings for foreign products we must equally be ready, individually and collectively to earn the forex that will fuel this habit. As it is right now, oil is not earning enough to suppose our worthless lifestyle
Re: Oby Ezekwesili Blasts CBN Governor Emefiele For Fixing Exchange Rate by brainiac007: 12:27pm On Dec 22, 2015
Bekwarra:
That ojuju Calabar.
Korede Bello with earrings is more beautiful than Oby

This statement is irrelevant!
Re: Oby Ezekwesili Blasts CBN Governor Emefiele For Fixing Exchange Rate by stokfrick: 12:58pm On Dec 22, 2015
U all are here ranting about forex policy and Nigerian economy as if the so called clueless government don't know what to do. If, like I' ve always said, nigeria is not cursed with cursed corrupt leaders, what is big deal in immediately diversifying the economy using other natural resources to generate funds and strengthen our currency? No! Instead they keep engaging in publicity stunts with the press, excess talk giving people false hopes with empty false news!
Re: Oby Ezekwesili Blasts CBN Governor Emefiele For Fixing Exchange Rate by Bekwarra(m): 1:15pm On Dec 22, 2015
greatiyk4u:

A dullard spotted
Iyalaya e dullard. Ori e ti buru.
Re: Oby Ezekwesili Blasts CBN Governor Emefiele For Fixing Exchange Rate by Montaque(m): 1:23pm On Dec 22, 2015
sholatech:
She blames the Cbn Governor and not the administration?

Refusing to hit the nail on the head.
Re: Oby Ezekwesili Blasts CBN Governor Emefiele For Fixing Exchange Rate by badttrader(m): 1:34pm On Dec 22, 2015
oduastates:

My analogy

Your chicken, that used to give birth to 2 babies ( chucks) all of a sudden started pricing 10 chickens because the sun was shining.
Instead of being cautious of this unusual bounty,you decided to live large.
Married two more wives
Threw big parties everyday and live life to the fullest.
Put it on my tab you said to everybody
This bounty continued for 5 years until one say, you woke up to find that your bird is only giving birth to one chick
Meanwhile you have debts everywhere from beer supplier to.... Caterer.
You have also refused to adjust to your new reality.
Meanwhile more people now sell chicken.
Are you prepared for N500 to $1 because the dollar supply will not increase but the unhealthy appetite for imported rubbish will still be there.
Meanwhile, Nigeria has less than 1 year worth of forex.
You nay choose to propone the pain

I SM SORRY TO SAY THAT THE PAIN IS/WAS INEVITABLE AND IT HAS TO BE ENDURED

God bless you sir!

I love all your analyses.
Re: Oby Ezekwesili Blasts CBN Governor Emefiele For Fixing Exchange Rate by efficiencie(m): 1:35pm On Dec 22, 2015
The issue here is two fold, firstly: should the free market be permitted to adjust the economy while Nigerians wait and endure the adverse implications of dwindling oil revenues, fast depreciating exchange rates and consistent (habitual) demand for imports? or secondly: should the CBN maintain controls over the exchange rate, while structural adjustment of the economy takes place to put the economy on a better economic pedestal when the free market will kick in again? This is believe is at the base of the conflict of ideas between the CBN thinkers and the likes of Oby and Soludo...While the CBN affirms the second question, the laissez faire economists affirm the first question...However, lets look at this outside the stranglehold of ideolgies and look at the issues on ground:

i. The removal of controls could lead to accelerated depreciation and this would continue until current account deficits reaches its natural peak, a peak that is defined by the ever so strong demand for imports. However when the dwindling reserves are considered it is expected that the reflection of current account deficits would imply capital account surpluses and given the poor flow of funds to the real sector it is expected that capital inflow would jeopardize domestic stability by engendering inflation. Hence the combination of the twin evils of inflation and exchange rate depreciation would result in the twin-deficit phenomenon and its consequences on the country would be devastating - as investors would shift their portfolio from Nigerian assets and this could exacerbate capital account instability, strategic imports could be stifled and exports dependent on such imports would diminish.

ii. I believe if the CBN maintains its grip on the exchange rate using these controls, the characteristics of Nigerian imports could be transformed to be consistent with the growth and development objective. There are some goods and services that a country seeking growth and development would endeavor to produce locally instead of importing. Hence i am of the view that these controls should not stand alone rather they should be accompanied with the removal of industrial bottlenecks, improvement of social infrastructure, reduction of the cost of doing business, embarking on educational reforms to align manpower generation with industrial and social demands and the curbing of corruption. If in a five to eight year period this is maintained the structure of Nigerian imports could be changed for the better and the pressure on the naira could be eased.

iii. I believe the free market mechanism is like a car packed with the latest artificial intelligence but no matter how efficient this technology is a child will make no sense of its operation...that child, can only transport himself, under the guidance of a guardian, a central authority, pending when this child has acquired knowledge and the latest skills, developed capacity and is weaned off the guardians that he can attempt transporting himself with a car equipped with artificial intelligence...what is my point, anyone may ask? Nigeria still needs controls, because it is yet to develop the necessary institutional capacity required for the smooth operation of a sophisticated mechanism like the free market mechanism...

The laissez faire economists can give their advice to the modern day Russian, US, Canada or Australia and be successful but their advice would have been rebuffed by 1970-1990 China who applied controls, developed internal institutional capacity and loosened controls when the country could effectively operate by the free market mechanism...The US and other developed countries are poor models of development for less developed countries but the China model is superb but the incurable laissez faire economists blinded by their love for ideology even in the face of stark reality will pretend not to notice the development path of countries like China...

1 Like

Re: Oby Ezekwesili Blasts CBN Governor Emefiele For Fixing Exchange Rate by compujyde: 1:44pm On Dec 22, 2015
Re: Oby Ezekwesili Blasts CBN Governor Emefiele For Fixing Exchange Rate by preselect(m): 1:44pm On Dec 22, 2015
[size=20pt]this ugly woman should shut up and lock herself up in the latrine behind obasanjo's bedroom. she has no shame. she should remain silent unless she's looking for the chibok girls whom she used for politics.
she should focus her attention on the chibok girls or remain silent. . . . ewu

her silence over the chibok girls since the election of buhari is deafening and unbecoming of a woman with red blood cells in her veins. I don't care if what she is saying about the economy makes sense bc she has sold her integrity on the blood of teenage girls and it will forever hunt her and her ilk . . . [/size]

[size=28pt]#WhereAreTheGirls[/size]

Re: Oby Ezekwesili Blasts CBN Governor Emefiele For Fixing Exchange Rate by Nobody: 1:47pm On Dec 22, 2015
This woman should have been appointed the CBN governor, not that retard.

1 Like

Re: Oby Ezekwesili Blasts CBN Governor Emefiele For Fixing Exchange Rate by Nobody: 1:50pm On Dec 22, 2015
oduastates:
Many people dey fall my hand.
Ekwesili is even using Russia as example.
That is a country with over 12 times the landmass of Nigeria. a country as scientifically and technologically advanced to rival any on the planet.
Russia has the Base to produce most of what it consumes ; if not all.
All they had to do is reduce or restrict imports and look inwards.
Honestly speaking, the Nigerian non-economy built on the foundation on corruption need to be dismantled first and rebuilt.
In a country with this much poverty, can anyone explain why prices rival those of more advanced and richer countries?
Is it not for this bogus illusion of wealth that smaller and poorer countries are able to build better infrastructure for less.
Yesterday, one person was complaining on twitter that he could not pay his children tuition oversea because of the restrictions.
I was like, are these guys for real?
I support the restrictions they are in order.
Look inwards.
It seems to me that most are not even aware of the dire strait Jonathan and Iweala left the country and what is about to hit them if oil prices continue to fall.
Obasanjo avoided those reckless policy prescriptions from the worldbank and IMF, Knowing fully well that the Nigeria would either be used as a dumping ground for poisonous chicken or the excess that cannot be sold at home by advanced countries or used by developing ones as an experimental ground on their way to the first world.
Mass corruption,reckless increase in the size of the government and foolish government policies leading to the enlargement of the appetite of the country for foreign imports.
Guess what, the per capita money coming from the Niger delta and diaspora keeps shrinking year by year and cannot pay for that appetite.

Long post, plenty grammar. And u finally made no sense.

A new govt is in office. Quit d blame game already.

embarassed
Re: Oby Ezekwesili Blasts CBN Governor Emefiele For Fixing Exchange Rate by Okanokan(m): 2:16pm On Dec 22, 2015
Already Preparing to be CBN Governor.
Re: Oby Ezekwesili Blasts CBN Governor Emefiele For Fixing Exchange Rate by wirinet(m): 2:29pm On Dec 22, 2015
stokfrick:
U all are here ranting about forex policy and Nigerian economy as if the so called clueless government don't know what to do. If, like I' ve always said, nigeria is not cursed with cursed corrupt leaders, what is big deal in immediately diversifying the economy using other natural resources to generate funds and strengthen our currency? No! Instead they keep engaging in publicity stunts with the press, excess talk giving people false hopes with empty false news!

If it is so easy to immediately diversify the economy using other resources to generate funds to strenghten our currency, why had previous government including the last one with record revenues from oil receipts not been able to do so for over 40 years? Under the present structure the Nigerian state is structured only to collect rent on oil. We need to restructure the federation entirely for it to be able to have a diversified economy. We urgently need to be weaned of oil.

In other News;
Star Wars: The Force Awakens has smashed the record for the biggest box office debut weekend globally (three days), with ticket sales of $529m (£355m). That is more that the monthly oil receipts the Federal Government of Nigeria collect as oil rents in a month presently (considering we only collect 60% of oil sales after deductions of production expenses by NNPC and oil companies).

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oby Ezekwesili Blasts CBN Governor Emefiele For Fixing Exchange Rate by 1miccza: 2:52pm On Dec 22, 2015
brainiac007:

This statement is irrelevant!
Absolutely irrelevant

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Dino Melaye Reacts To Assassination Attempt On Ekweremadu / Court Orders Temporary Forfeiture Of Diezani’s $40m Jewelery, Gold Iphone / Peter Obi (obidents) Supporters Acting Mad – Deji Adeyanju

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.