Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,195 members, 7,822,032 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 02:54 AM

$2.1bn Arms: Festus Keyamo Explains Why Jonathan Might Not Be Prosecuted - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / $2.1bn Arms: Festus Keyamo Explains Why Jonathan Might Not Be Prosecuted (24597 Views)

$2.1bn Arms Deals: N1.5bn Traced To Ex-minister’s Son-the Nation / $2.1bn Arms Probe: N1trn Found In 4 Ex-service Chiefs’ Accts / $2.1bn Arms Deal: I Will Speak Soon – Labaran Maku (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

$2.1bn Arms: Festus Keyamo Explains Why Jonathan Might Not Be Prosecuted by alaamword: 8:00am On Dec 22, 2015
Human rights lawyer, Festus Keyamo in an interview with Tobi Aworinde has said even though former president Jonathan needs to be questioned and investigated in the ongoing investigations over a $2.1bn arms procurement scam, he might eventually not be invited. Here’s the question the human right lawyer was asked;
Some have called for former President Goodluck Jonathan to be investigated and prosecuted for his alleged role in the scandal. What do you think?
The issue of investigating and prosecuting Jonathan is a complex one; it is not a straightforward issue. On the face of it, since all of these people who are indicted, one way or the other, were working directly with the then President Jonathan, and they all took instructions from Jonathan, legally speaking, or like we say, ordinarily, he should be invited, questioned and, if possible, prosecuted. But it is not as straightforward as that. Continue...
The reason why I say it is not straightforward is that in Jonathan’s case, there appears to be some kind of international understanding that he should not be ridiculed. The reason being that most African leaders in the past — I say ‘most’ because not all of them; some of them have successfully handed over in the past when they lost election. But most of them have developed the habit of clinging on to power even when they lose elections. Most African leaders manipulate the electoral process to suit themselves. They do this not only because of the peculiar reasons; they do this because of the fear of life after power.
Therefore, the world and Africa have always encouraged presidents who have lost elections to hand over peacefully. And in return, there is some kind of behind-the-scene international understanding that such African leaders should be given their pride of place in history, so that it encourages others to toe the same line with honour when they lose elections. In Jonathan’s case, therefore, any attempt to humiliate him publicly will discourage other African leaders who lose elections to hand over because they will easily refer to his case. And this may lead their nations to unnecessary civil strike or war.
source:www.ladunliadinews.com/2015/12/21bn-arms-festus-keyamo-explains-why.html?m=1

28 Likes 2 Shares

Re: $2.1bn Arms: Festus Keyamo Explains Why Jonathan Might Not Be Prosecuted by Nobody: 8:06am On Dec 22, 2015
Shame on you

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: $2.1bn Arms: Festus Keyamo Explains Why Jonathan Might Not Be Prosecuted by Sibrah: 8:06am On Dec 22, 2015
That's like saying because a thieving ex-employee handed over company properties in his possessions before leaving, he shouldn't be prosecuted. The attempt by 40-Laptop crew to desperately sell us dummy idea via source-less articles is low, so low it is 6 feet underground already.

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: $2.1bn Arms: Festus Keyamo Explains Why Jonathan Might Not Be Prosecuted by NgeneUkwenu(f): 8:07am On Dec 22, 2015
But they can empty their Countries treasuries, because they Will leave their seats when they are voted out by their own people?

Why was I created an African? Smh

31 Likes

Re: $2.1bn Arms: Festus Keyamo Explains Why Jonathan Might Not Be Prosecuted by ShowYourCertificate: 8:10am On Dec 22, 2015
NgeneUkwenu:
But they can empty their Countries treasuries, because they Will leave their seats when they are voted out by their own people?

Why was I created an African Man? Smh
You would have preferred being a woman? grin

Anyway I blame GEJ for your predicament

23 Likes

Re: $2.1bn Arms: Festus Keyamo Explains Why Jonathan Might Not Be Prosecuted by drberry(m): 8:12am On Dec 22, 2015
Now I see why OBJ, IBB, et al will never be probed.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: $2.1bn Arms: Festus Keyamo Explains Why Jonathan Might Not Be Prosecuted by pedrilo: 8:13am On Dec 22, 2015
NgeneUkwenu:

oya go and arrest him by urself na. u nor know where bayelsa dey?

28 Likes 3 Shares

Re: $2.1bn Arms: Festus Keyamo Explains Why Jonathan Might Not Be Prosecuted by Ijaya123: 8:15am On Dec 22, 2015
I beg to disagree with him. Nobody is above the law and the law is not a respecter of persons.

The day we strengthen and enforce our laws to be bigger that any individual, then we will begin to witness sanity in the land.

The government just need to make example of some few individuals. Others will start to fall in line. It is that simple.

11 Likes

Re: $2.1bn Arms: Festus Keyamo Explains Why Jonathan Might Not Be Prosecuted by Nimoomosuli: 8:15am On Dec 22, 2015
NgeneUkwenu:

I support that he should not be prosecuted.
He did well by conceding defeat even though we know he lost the election. If he didn't concede, you and I might have been dead as we speak.

6 Likes

Re: $2.1bn Arms: Festus Keyamo Explains Why Jonathan Might Not Be Prosecuted by themilanway(m): 8:17am On Dec 22, 2015
I share same sentiments with Keyamo unfortunately though,he is quite right I would say too.

Jonathan can only be questioned,but prosecuted?

It won't happen.

2 Likes

Re: $2.1bn Arms: Festus Keyamo Explains Why Jonathan Might Not Be Prosecuted by Nobody: 8:17am On Dec 22, 2015
hmmmm
Re: $2.1bn Arms: Festus Keyamo Explains Why Jonathan Might Not Be Prosecuted by datola: 8:19am On Dec 22, 2015
Mr Keyamo, you are right but this is a change government. We must change the old ways of doing things.

Other African countries will learn from the positive change if we prosecute thieving past presidents like it is done in civilised countries of the world.

Africa must grow up!

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: $2.1bn Arms: Festus Keyamo Explains Why Jonathan Might Not Be Prosecuted by EternalTruths: 8:20am On Dec 22, 2015
Buhari is a scared little sissy

We the people of SS and SE double dare him to prosecute Jonathan

Fear fear President grin

22 Likes

Re: $2.1bn Arms: Festus Keyamo Explains Why Jonathan Might Not Be Prosecuted by merry02(m): 8:30am On Dec 22, 2015
Who is this lousy man? Why re they painting Jonathan black as if he's the most corrupt ex president Nigeria ever had? Obj and Abacha looted this country beyond measures.

5 Likes

Re: $2.1bn Arms: Festus Keyamo Explains Why Jonathan Might Not Be Prosecuted by lasisi69(f): 10:17am On Dec 22, 2015
End time prosecution... He is untouchable

2 Likes

Re: $2.1bn Arms: Festus Keyamo Explains Why Jonathan Might Not Be Prosecuted by looseweight: 10:18am On Dec 22, 2015
Everything goes in Nigeria
Re: $2.1bn Arms: Festus Keyamo Explains Why Jonathan Might Not Be Prosecuted by Demmocrats(m): 10:18am On Dec 22, 2015
The reason why I say it is not straightforward is that in Jonathan’s case, there appears to be some kind of international understanding that he should not be ridiculed

That's true his been protected by forces beyond Buhari, But my Sai Buhari is unpredictable might do the opposite.

1 Like

Re: $2.1bn Arms: Festus Keyamo Explains Why Jonathan Might Not Be Prosecuted by ttemmi(m): 10:19am On Dec 22, 2015
Hmmm
Re: $2.1bn Arms: Festus Keyamo Explains Why Jonathan Might Not Be Prosecuted by ERONX(m): 10:19am On Dec 22, 2015
Its quite simple politics in Nigeria is a game of Ping-Pong...no one wants to prosecute a past president because if ur party ends up loosing d next election you will be the next to be prosecuted and jailed cheesy

6 Likes

Re: $2.1bn Arms: Festus Keyamo Explains Why Jonathan Might Not Be Prosecuted by ibietela2(m): 10:19am On Dec 22, 2015
NgeneUkwenu:

You are not even a woman, smh.....

4 Likes

Re: $2.1bn Arms: Festus Keyamo Explains Why Jonathan Might Not Be Prosecuted by Maisuya1: 10:20am On Dec 22, 2015
this source sounds fishy, and the argument sounds very weak to be comming from a lawyer. in this season of rouge journalist cooking up stories, i'll give the story 2 days to gestate.
Re: $2.1bn Arms: Festus Keyamo Explains Why Jonathan Might Not Be Prosecuted by LesbianBoy(m): 10:21am On Dec 22, 2015
If the HERO OF OUR DEMOCRACY is prosecuted there will be war in the country o. So buhari abeg don't prosecute him o!
Re: $2.1bn Arms: Festus Keyamo Explains Why Jonathan Might Not Be Prosecuted by canalily(m): 10:21am On Dec 22, 2015
Why should GEJ be prosecuted? He is a national hero and never did anything wrong signing the deal. Ask and prosecute suziki alone
Re: $2.1bn Arms: Festus Keyamo Explains Why Jonathan Might Not Be Prosecuted by blazetitov: 10:21am On Dec 22, 2015
Na wa oo
Re: $2.1bn Arms: Festus Keyamo Explains Why Jonathan Might Not Be Prosecuted by myners007: 10:22am On Dec 22, 2015
The Lawyer who like to be making headline news for self aggrandisement
Re: $2.1bn Arms: Festus Keyamo Explains Why Jonathan Might Not Be Prosecuted by rozayx5(m): 10:22am On Dec 22, 2015
cheesy

touch GEJ at your own peril cheesy grin

e be like the 35$ oil wey una dey drill no sweet cheesy cheesy grin

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: $2.1bn Arms: Festus Keyamo Explains Why Jonathan Might Not Be Prosecuted by BABANGBALI: 10:23am On Dec 22, 2015
kai na so this man go escape our plison?

1 Like

Re: $2.1bn Arms: Festus Keyamo Explains Why Jonathan Might Not Be Prosecuted by CaptainJason: 10:23am On Dec 22, 2015
Many people need to receive sense. The report has not stated that he will not be prosecuted, he has not even been found guilty. Everything wrong with this administration is GEJ's fault but the positives are as a result of Baba's body language. "Most African leaders manipulate the electoral process to suit themselves. They do this not only because of the peculiar reasons; they do this because of the fear of life after power." That is the main point here. This time 9 months ago, Nigerians started to pray against civil war breakout. As some were praying, some were exchanging their funds to US dollars incase of war and the need to quickly relocate, The APC was always screaming that there will be war of the APC candidate is not declared winner, at the same time the niger delta war lords were also threatening us with all sorts if their son did not win, remember this was before the conduct of election, the atmosphere was charged and on paper it was obvious there was civil war already just that bullets and bombs were yet to go off. IF GEJ did not hand over or if he had proceeded to the tribunal, We will be fighting civil war by now, We won't even be talking about "our money", there wont be any service provider for bandwidth to access Nairaland, We won't even be talking about CBN and our Naira cards or the spend limit. Majority will be in refugee camps and some will be in captivity. We will be thinking about having a basic life. Let's be grateful for where we are now. Jail is not the solution right now, pleading with these individuals to invest stolen funds in our economy is the solution as we speak. The present FEC members also have corruption cases hanging on their necks, The Peesident received cars from the NSA also, Same thing with the likes of Dokpesi and Nduka Thisday (You will agree with me that its either he should have checked where the funds for the purchase came from or he should have accepted the cars because he could not have know its from arms funds, same as others). Right now, we need to accept we are at ground zero, no time to pass blame but time for everyone to get on board, cut away the luxury, no time for frivolities, no time for party nonsense, no time for campaign, no time for we told you guys. We need to start now, the present Govt needs to communicate, needs to obey court orders, needs to respect the citizens as their bosses, needs to understand the concept of servant leadership.
God bless Nigeria

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: $2.1bn Arms: Festus Keyamo Explains Why Jonathan Might Not Be Prosecuted by RockMaxi: 10:24am On Dec 22, 2015
Sibrah:
That's like saying because a thieving ex-employee handed over company properties in his possessions before leaving, he shouldn't be prosecuted. The attempt by 40-Laptop crew to desperately sell us dummy idea via source-less articles is low, so low it is 6 feet underground already.

National issues with International interest pass employee and employer relationship. I so much detest GEJ's action but you know the tempo and chaos prosecuting him could cause. The disadvantage probably will outweigh the advantage.
Let's leave the guy alone for now.

1 Like

Re: $2.1bn Arms: Festus Keyamo Explains Why Jonathan Might Not Be Prosecuted by zulu14: 10:26am On Dec 22, 2015
This is y u shud be prosecuted
Re: $2.1bn Arms: Festus Keyamo Explains Why Jonathan Might Not Be Prosecuted by Nobody: 10:26am On Dec 22, 2015
YES I COMMEND HIM FOR THAT. MOST AFRICAN LEADERS TRY TO CLING ON TO POWER BUT HE DID NOT.

BUT THAT DOES NOT MEAN ALL THESE DUMB-SKULLS SHOULD SEE HIM AS ONE STUPID HERO. HE IS NO HERO. HE IS A COMPLETE THIEF.

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Onofiok Akpan-Luke Celebrates Birthday, Wedding Anniversary With Pretty Wife.PIC / 2023: Natasha Akpoti And Her Supporters Decamp To PDP / As I Am Talking To You, I Don't Have APC In Kogi State - Usman Ododo Of Apc(vid)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.