Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,779 members, 7,817,218 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:19 AM

Just Finished A Mini Christmas Android And BB10 App And Game - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Just Finished A Mini Christmas Android And BB10 App And Game (1948 Views)

Udacity/google Africa Challenge Scholarship For Android And Web Development! / Just Finished Serving My Ban!!! / I Just Finished Learning Php Through Video Tut , Now Whatt Next? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Just Finished A Mini Christmas Android And BB10 App And Game by damseremie(m): 3:18pm On Dec 22, 2015
Hi Guys
So besides work at www.sonbimgames.com and our focusing on our upcoming release Major Mynor,
I was a bit free this week and decided to get in the groove of Christmas in my own way. And push myself to do something basic and nice on a small scale.

So I came up with basic ideas and decided to create one game and one app in time for Christmas.
First was the app Mistletoe Kiss who is just very simple and plays on the (oyinbo) culture of kissing anybody under the mistletoe, so basically you can take it with you , raise your phone above your head and kiss whoever you want grin grin grin
Started this on Tuesday last week and submitted to the stores on Thursday, So took about 2 days.
Google Play ---https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.SmadStudios.MistletoeKiss
Blackberry 10 ---https://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/59986972/

Second is "Santa vs The Grinch, the game , basically inspired by the story "How the Grinch stole Christmas" and the gameplay style of Fruit Ninja
Again, this are basic side projects so dont expect anything spectacular ooo grin
Just simple fun gameplay. I was tempted to start putting in a variety of enemies, levels, weapons and achievements but had to stop myself, if not... I no for fit release am before Xmas smiley

This one I started on Friday afternoon and released last Night, so like 4 days from scratch (art,code,store submission and all, though I used some old code snippets to save time)
Google Play--- https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.SmadStudios.SantavsTheGrinch
Blackberry10 ---https://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/59987130/

So thats it, feel free to take a look, and post a good review grin
If you have negative comment , Please post it here or send me a private message grin
I'll note all comments and look to improving them, but can't promise I'll make much improvement anytime soon unless of course one of them becomes suddenly popular...
And watch out for Major Mynor from Sonbim Games.... details in a few days

1 Like

Re: Just Finished A Mini Christmas Android And BB10 App And Game by ANTONINEUTRON(m): 4:19pm On Dec 22, 2015
What is the requirement of building a App/Game
Re: Just Finished A Mini Christmas Android And BB10 App And Game by Fulaman198(m): 4:31pm On Dec 22, 2015
ANTONINEUTRON:
What is the requirement of building a App/Game

For Android, know Java! Download the Android SDK
Re: Just Finished A Mini Christmas Android And BB10 App And Game by ANTONINEUTRON(m): 4:35pm On Dec 22, 2015
Fulaman198:

For Android, know Java! Download the Android SDK
Then what is the use of a game engine
Re: Just Finished A Mini Christmas Android And BB10 App And Game by Fulaman198(m): 4:42pm On Dec 22, 2015
ANTONINEUTRON:

Then what is the use of a game engine

Game optimisation, A.I., collision detection, etc. Having a gaming engine makes those things easier. E.g. look at the latest Batman game Arkham Knight and the Shadows of Mordor game. They use the same gaming engine.

1 Like

Re: Just Finished A Mini Christmas Android And BB10 App And Game by ANTONINEUTRON(m): 7:26pm On Dec 22, 2015
Fulaman198:

Game optimisation, A.I., collision detection, etc. Having a gaming engine makes those things easier. E.g. look at the latest Batman game Arkham Knight and the Shadows of Mordor game. They use the same gaming engine.
Which is the best game engine
Re: Just Finished A Mini Christmas Android And BB10 App And Game by Fulaman198(m): 8:35pm On Dec 22, 2015
ANTONINEUTRON:

I would say it's the unreal engine followed by unity.

This should give you more information my friend:

http://blog.framebench.com/top-5-game-engines-developers/

Good luck on your quest on becoming a powerful Computer Scientist. I'm trying to be a better computer scientist/engineer with each passing day myself.
Re: Just Finished A Mini Christmas Android And BB10 App And Game by ANTONINEUTRON(m): 9:29pm On Dec 22, 2015
Fulaman198:

I would say it's the unreal engine followed by unity.

This should give you more information my friend:

http://blog.framebench.com/top-5-game-engines-developers/

Good luck on your quest on becoming a powerful Computer Scientist. I'm trying to be a better computer scientist/engineer with each passing day myself.
Same interest!!

Nice meeting you

1 Like

Re: Just Finished A Mini Christmas Android And BB10 App And Game by Fulaman198(m): 10:03pm On Dec 22, 2015
ANTONINEUTRON:

Same interest!!

Nice meeting you

Likewise my friend.
Re: Just Finished A Mini Christmas Android And BB10 App And Game by damseremie(m): 10:19pm On Dec 22, 2015
ANTONINEUTRON:

Nice discussion guys.
I typically don't enjoy answering questions tagged "what is the best....?
ultimately it depends on your needs and which you are comfortable with, and what results you can produce.
In the early days when I started 3D, there was a constant arguement on which software was best for 3d... 3DS Max, Maya, etc etc .
In the end, the only thing people bother about is what you produce with it. SO do your research and ask and gather thoughts from a bunch of people, then make ur decision , but be adaptable.
Back to the matter

If your target is Android Apps and you want to learn Programming/Development indepth , there's tons of material online, free and paid...
Like Fulman said, get the android SDK, get android studio, and a reasonable amount of data so you can get video tutorials. If they are hosted on youtube, download to your computer/device using a site like clip converter or several apps that can do that,so you can watch them later offline and practice
Learn and build and improve gradually....

If games are your focus, there are tons of tools to make it easier and faster and feel free to use them..
Decide if you want to make 2D games in which case Construct2, GameSalad and GameMaker are applications you should look at...
If 3D, and you are going alone.. definitely Unity3D, Unreal Engine is great and does really awesome stuffbut will take a longer time to learn

1 Like

Re: Just Finished A Mini Christmas Android And BB10 App And Game by Jelo4kul(m): 12:41am On Dec 23, 2015
damseremie:

If games are your focus, there are tons of tools to make it easier and faster and feel free to use them..
Decide if you want to make 2D games in which case

Well back to the topic. Just downloaded the game (Santa vs ...) and I love the graphics.
Suggestion: Add more levels

Question: which game engine did you use ,and also the tool for the design
Re: Just Finished A Mini Christmas Android And BB10 App And Game by damseremie(m): 12:17pm On Jan 17, 2016
Just thought I should update this.
Santa versus the Grinch was doing pretty well when I got this email from Google Play

"This is a notification that your application, Santa vs The Grinch, with package ID com.SmadStudios.SantavsTheGrinch, has been suspended from the Google Play Store.

REASON FOR SUSPENSION:Violation of the impersonation or deceptive behavior provisions of the Content Policy. Please refer to the impersonation policy help article for more information.

If you are authorized to publish on behalf of the original content or brand owner, please contact us via the Google Play Developer Help Center and attach verifiable and accepted proof of permission.

This particular app has been disabled as a policy strike. If your developer account is still in good standing, you may revise and upload a policy compliant version of this application as a new package name.

This notification also serves as notice for other apps in your catalog. You can avoid further app suspensions by immediately ensuring that no other apps in your catalog are in violation of (but not limited to) the above policy. Please also ensure your apps’ compliance with the Developer Distribution Agreement and Content Policy.

All violations are tracked. Additional suspensions of any nature may result in the termination of your developer account, and investigation and possible termination of related Google accounts. If your account is terminated, payments will cease and Google may recover the proceeds of any past sales and/or the cost of any associated fees (such as chargebacks and transaction fees) from you.

If you feel we have made this determination in error, you can visit this Google Play Help Center article.

The Google Play Team"

Apparently the words 'The Grinch" is owned by a company(i didn't know this) and sadly they kicked me out of the store.
I did change the name of the app and the in-game graphics but the holiday season had mostly passed and it didn't recover...
Reviews lost and all...
God Dey sha.. Lessons learned.

if anyone needs the new link, it's here
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.SmadStudios.SantavsGrumpsy

That of Blackberry remains the same

Re: Just Finished A Mini Christmas Android And BB10 App And Game by damseremie(m): 12:24pm On Jan 17, 2016
Jelo4kul:

Well back to the topic. Just downloaded the game (Santa vs ...) and I love the graphics.
Suggestion: Add more levels
Question: which game engine did you use ,and also the tool for the design

Thanks ooo...
I don't know if I will be expanding the game anymore though.. Before google took it off, it had gathered just about 400 downloads (not too big a number) and about 10 reviews which are important for rankings. Since they did and made me miss the Christmas season, all it has gotten is like 5 downloads.
They also disabled advertising completely within the app using Admob. meaning even after changing the name, it isn't making any money thereby lowering my motivation to work further on it since time is really limited these days smiley

As for Game Engine, for this particular project, It was gamemaker for sheer speed

(1) (Reply)

Test This Android App On Your Phone / Python: Should I Use Tkinter Or Pyqt? / How I Became A Software Developer And Got My First Job Within A Year

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.