Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,985 members, 7,825,066 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 04:26 AM

I Just Finished Learning Php Through Video Tut , Now Whatt Next? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / I Just Finished Learning Php Through Video Tut , Now Whatt Next? (2037 Views)

Can Using Dreamweaver Substitute For Learning Php Codes / Just Finished Serving My Ban!!! / Just Finished A Mini Christmas Android And BB10 App And Game (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Just Finished Learning Php Through Video Tut , Now Whatt Next? by cr80vity(m): 4:12pm On Jan 21, 2016
guys, I just finished learning php through a video tutorial...please what next for me....thanks
Re: I Just Finished Learning Php Through Video Tut , Now Whatt Next? by adehsenior(m): 5:02pm On Jan 21, 2016
Next, try a real life app, build a one page website and test the functionality.

2 Likes

Re: I Just Finished Learning Php Through Video Tut , Now Whatt Next? by Thirdwrist(m): 5:38pm On Jan 21, 2016
Learn MYSQL and Learn how php interacts with it.
Re: I Just Finished Learning Php Through Video Tut , Now Whatt Next? by cr80vity(m): 6:30pm On Jan 21, 2016
Thirdwrist:
Learn MYSQL and Learn how php interacts with it.
dats wat I just finish learning
Re: I Just Finished Learning Php Through Video Tut , Now Whatt Next? by cr80vity(m): 6:31pm On Jan 21, 2016
adehsenior:
Next, try a real life app, build a one page website and test the functionality.
give me an assignment pls ...wat kind of one.page.or.wat kind of app
Re: I Just Finished Learning Php Through Video Tut , Now Whatt Next? by ChinenyeN(m): 6:34pm On Jan 21, 2016
If you just recently learned it, then I imagine that you also might have learned how PHP does OOP. In that case, try your hands at a simple MVC application. You don't have to be fancy with the site, just so long as you can build the simplified MVC backend. The site can be of any topic of your choice, just as long as the backend is done in MVC paradigm using OOP.
Re: I Just Finished Learning Php Through Video Tut , Now Whatt Next? by cr80vity(m): 8:17pm On Jan 21, 2016
ChinenyeN:
If you just recently learned it, then I imagine that you also might have learned how PHP does OOP. In that case, try your hands at a simple MVC application. You don't have to be fancy with the site, just so long as you can build the simplified MVC backend. The site can be of any topic of your choice, just as long as the backend is done in MVC paradigm using OOP.
pls wat does MVC paradigm mean
Re: I Just Finished Learning Php Through Video Tut , Now Whatt Next? by ChinenyeN(m): 9:33pm On Jan 21, 2016
MVC stands for Model View Control. The simplest explanation would be that MVC is a way of conceptualizing software. The main goal of MVC is to keep data separate from presentation. For example, if you are using PHP to develop a website. With the MVC paradigm, the outward design of the site (the 'frontend', i.e. what visitors see) would separated in such a way that any change to the frontend does not affect the actual processing of data and where that data goes (backend activities). It takes some time and practice before being able to fully wrap one's mind around MVC, but it's good knowledge to have, especially pairing it with PHP, MySQL and web development.
Re: I Just Finished Learning Php Through Video Tut , Now Whatt Next? by danidee10(m): 1:07am On Jan 22, 2016
Don't mvc anything....u have to understand and practice php before you know and can see the advantages of mvc...I'll suggest you build a simple blog...should have articles, article categories and comments just keep it simple...as a self taught programmer I feel things stick more when u learn them when needed not abstractly....Goodluck n make sure u use pdo or mysqli no mixi mixi

2 Likes

Re: I Just Finished Learning Php Through Video Tut , Now Whatt Next? by tgmservice: 1:27am On Jan 22, 2016
G
Re: I Just Finished Learning Php Through Video Tut , Now Whatt Next? by ChinenyeN(m): 1:39am On Jan 22, 2016
MVC is not an advanced skill. It's simply a paradigm, just as OOP is a paradigm. You do not have to know OOP to program in PHP, but you can always learn OOP and PHP together. The same way one can learn MVC while also learning PHP.
Re: I Just Finished Learning Php Through Video Tut , Now Whatt Next? by cr80vity(m): 6:29am On Jan 22, 2016
danidee10:
Don't mvc anything....u have to understand and practice php before you know and can see the advantages of mvc...I'll suggest you build a simple blog...should have articles, article categories and comments just keep it simple...as a self taught programmer I feel things stick more when u learn them when needed not abstractly....Goodluck n make sure u use pdo or mysqli no mixi mixi
please I learnt mysql and nt mysqli, shld i go bk to learn mysqli nd nt practice with mysql cux it seems me knowing d mysql is waste
Re: I Just Finished Learning Php Through Video Tut , Now Whatt Next? by Thirdwrist(m): 6:43am On Jan 22, 2016
cr80vity:
please I learnt mysql and nt mysqli, shld i go bk to learn mysqli nd nt practice with mysql cux it seems me knowing d mysql is waste

Before you get confused and start crying, just build a blog like the person above said. The best way to learn is by practice and learning a new skill when it is required, don't just pack your head with theories and no practical. Leave MVC and OOP now. I believe you learnt procedural PHP, after doing whatever you decide to do, then make the jump to OOP and what ever that MVC means. Do make the jump to OOP it can not be over emphasized.
Re: I Just Finished Learning Php Through Video Tut , Now Whatt Next? by danidee10(m): 8:44am On Jan 22, 2016
cr80vity:

Yes as hard and dissappointing it might seem yes you have to go back and learn mysqli or pdo...mysql is nw outdated and is going to be phased out In the near future cuz it's nw insecure and lacks some features in pdo n mysqli....in my advice learn pdo cuz it supports more databases than mysqli though it's harder to grok the syntax, mysqli only supports mysql and Maria db (WTF is maria db grin)...but the goodnews is that ur mysql knowledge will be very helpful as u're basically doing the same thing
Re: I Just Finished Learning Php Through Video Tut , Now Whatt Next? by danidee10(m): 8:49am On Jan 22, 2016
ChinenyeN:
MVC is not an advanced skill. It's simply a paradigm, just as OOP is a paradigm. You do not have to know OOP to program in PHP, but you can always learn OOP and PHP together. The same way one can learn MVC while also learning PHP.

I don't agree it's really advanced for a beginner....i remember when I tried out codeigniter I couldn't really see the advantage it just seem like a longer and more tedious way of doing something I could easily do with out the nonsense MVC....but let write code and grow then he will begin to see that some things are missing then he can start seeing the reason behind MVC frameworks in the first place
Re: I Just Finished Learning Php Through Video Tut , Now Whatt Next? by cr80vity(m): 5:38pm On Jan 22, 2016
Tanks guys for d help...m sorry I do post questions in ds programming section alot but if dere s anyone or mayb two persons dat can drop their number here for me so we can b chat on watsapp.nd.I get to ask any question I want to instead of postin dem as topics here I wil really appreciate...pls help a learner
Re: I Just Finished Learning Php Through Video Tut , Now Whatt Next? by sinequanon: 6:33pm On Jan 22, 2016
ChinenyeN:
MVC stands for Model View Control. The simplest explanation would be that MVC is a way of conceptualizing software. The main goal of MVC is to keep data separate from presentation. For example, if you are using PHP to develop a website. With the MVC paradigm, the outward design of the site (the 'frontend', i.e. what visitors see) would separated in such a way that any change to the frontend does not affect the actual processing of data and where that data goes (backend activities). It takes some time and practice before being able to fully wrap one's mind around MVC, but it's good knowledge to have, especially pairing it with PHP, MySQL and web development.

danidee10:

Good points, both. I think it ought to be six of one, half a dozen of the other.

It would be worth having a high level idea of what MVC is, and just have a go at it, without tearing yourself apart over it. The real learning comes when you try to amend your code, and find it awkward. Then you will automatically start to think of better ways you could have done things, and you will find that they fit into, and give shape to, your nebulous understanding of MVC. But it is worth having that nebulous understanding upfront.

When you try to scale projects (make them larger), or maintain them, a number of concepts that would otherwise appear unnecessary, become critical. It runs the gamut from good error handling and sensible error messages, through separation of concerns (modularity), and documentation. Novices often skimp on these concepts, until they are given the task of fixing a bug or upgrading code. Then they discover that it would have been so much easier "if only".

One junior programmer I was mentoring never got the hang of named constants.

Why say BOILING_POINT_OF_WATER = 100;

then

temperature = BOILING_POINT_OF_WATER;

Why not just temperature = 100;

The dude just kept getting it "wrong". Even when fixing code, he would NOT check to see if a literal had been initialized. You can't really blame him. His intuition was fine. He only lacked experience.

What would fix that? Give him a badly written project to amend, full of statements like:

temperature = 100;
volume = 100;
pressure = 100;

Say that some (not all) of the volume = 100 statements (and there are many of them) arise because volume is equal to maximum value of flask. Tell him that he has to amend the whole project because maximum volume of flask has changed to 120. (Software comes with a hardware kit, and the new kit has bigger flasks).

Even if he goes through the entire project with a text search for "100", how will he be sure when the 100 refers to a maximum volume of flask, and not an initial volume of sand, or a final volume of acid, or even a temperature or pressure (f = 100 ). He would have to understand what was in the original programmer's mind, or read the entire project specification. If he didn't write the code himself initially, or if he couldn't remember because he wrote it so long ago, the upgrade becomes a major task.

But, if the various "100s" had been given their respective literals to begin with, the upgrade would simply be a matter of changing

MAX_FLASK_VOLUME = 100;
to
MAX_FLASK_VOLUME = 120;

Then the concept of named literals sticks. That is how experience can help.

2 Likes

Re: I Just Finished Learning Php Through Video Tut , Now Whatt Next? by tgmservice: 12:18pm On Jan 23, 2016
The problem with many young nigerian programmers is that they just what to follow the part of self taught and brag that they taught themselves. Going the part of self taught is not meant for everyone, paying for physical or online programming tutorials doesn't mean you are not intelligent." You just learned php and do not know what to do with It". As someone with an average IQ it will take u about 3 - 5 years before you can start earning real cash with ur knowledge if u go self taught most of those free programming site will not give u practice on real world useful applications. I will advise u to go to a good programming institution physical or online to hasten your learning process, there they tell u d things u really need to know
Re: I Just Finished Learning Php Through Video Tut , Now Whatt Next? by cr80vity(m): 8:18pm On Jan 23, 2016
tgmservice:
The problem with many young nigerian programmers is that they just what to follow the part of self taught and brag that they taught themselves. Going the part of self taught is not meant for everyone, paying for physical or online programming tutorials doesn't mean you are not intelligent." You just learned php and do not know what to do with It". As someone with an average IQ it will take u about 3 - 5 years before you can start earning real cash with ur knowledge if u go self taught most of those free programming site will not give u practice on real world useful applications. I will advise u to go to a good programming institution physical or online to hasten your learning process, there they tell u d things u really need to know
but wat d money bro...hw many people cam afford it

1 Like

Re: I Just Finished Learning Php Through Video Tut , Now Whatt Next? by talk2hb1(m): 9:34pm On Jan 23, 2016
cr80vity:
guys, I just finished learning php through a video tutorial...please what next for me....thanks
Try my Blog post http://www.qlickas.com/2015/03/21/simple-programming-projects/

Or you can go learn OOP (Object Oriented Programming) after mastering OOP concept then you can proceed to Design Pattern (MVC, Factory pattern, etc)

There are a lot to learn out their undecided
Re: I Just Finished Learning Php Through Video Tut , Now Whatt Next? by sinequanon: 10:05pm On Jan 23, 2016
cr80vity:

Anything from tap dancing to sky diving.

The world, as they say, is your oyster.
Re: I Just Finished Learning Php Through Video Tut , Now Whatt Next? by justiseigwee: 9:28am On Jan 24, 2016
Call me or whatsapp 08127977405 or bbm 2BCF0F6B
Re: I Just Finished Learning Php Through Video Tut , Now Whatt Next? by cr80vity(m): 5:19am On Jan 25, 2016
danidee10:
bro can u gv me ur number
Re: I Just Finished Learning Php Through Video Tut , Now Whatt Next? by danidee10(m): 2:08am On Jan 31, 2016
cr80vity:

bro can u gv me ur number

can't drop my number on a public forum....find me on telegram @danidee10, i wonder why nairaland dosen't have pm
Re: I Just Finished Learning Php Through Video Tut , Now Whatt Next? by danidee10(m): 2:09am On Jan 31, 2016
sinequanon:

Good points, both. I think it ought to be six of one, half a dozen of the other.

It would be worth having a high level idea of what MVC is, and just have a go at it, without tearing yourself apart over it. The real learning comes when you try to amend your code, and find it awkward. Then you will automatically start to think of better ways you could have done things, and you will find that they fit into, and give shape to, your nebulous understanding of MVC. But it is worth having that nebulous understanding upfront.

When you try to scale projects (make them larger), or maintain them, a number of concepts that would otherwise appear unnecessary, become critical. It runs the gamut from good error handling and sensible error messages, through separation of concerns (modularity), and documentation. Novices often skimp on these concepts, until they are given the task of fixing a bug or upgrading code. Then they discover that it would have been so much easier "if only".

One junior programmer I was mentoring never got the hang of named constants.

Why say BOILING_POINT_OF_WATER = 100;

then

temperature = BOILING_POINT_OF_WATER;

Why not just temperature = 100;

The dude just kept getting it "wrong". Even when fixing code, he would NOT check to see if a literal had been initialized. You can't really blame him. His intuition was fine. He only lacked experience.

What would fix that? Give him a badly written project to amend, full of statements like:

temperature = 100;
volume = 100;
pressure = 100;

Say that some (not all) of the volume = 100 statements (and there are many of them) arise because volume is equal to maximum value of flask. Tell him that he has to amend the whole project because maximum volume of flask has changed to 120. (Software comes with a hardware kit, and the new kit has bigger flasks).

Even if he goes through the entire project with a text search for "100", how will he be sure when the 100 refers to a maximum volume of flask, and not an initial volume of sand, or a final volume of acid, or even a temperature or pressure (f = 100 ). He would have to understand what was in the original programmer's mind, or read the entire project specification. If he didn't write the code himself initially, or if he couldn't remember because he wrote it so long ago, the upgrade becomes a major task.

But, if the various "100s" had been given their respective literals to begin with, the upgrade would simply be a matter of changing

MAX_FLASK_VOLUME = 100;
to
MAX_FLASK_VOLUME = 120;

Then the concept of named literals sticks. That is how experience can help.

well said smiley

(1) (Reply)

Android, How To Display Image In Image View From Mysql / Is PHP A Must In Nigeria Tech Industry? / Software Development On Java

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.