Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,045 members, 7,821,592 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:27 PM

Nnamdi Kanu Has Set A New Precedence In The Judiciary - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nnamdi Kanu Has Set A New Precedence In The Judiciary (9939 Views)

Nnamdi Kanu Has No Means Of Livelihood - Army. / Biafra: Why Nnamdi Kanu Has Not Been Re-arrested – IGP / NLC Strike: Apc Is Setting A Dangerous Precedence. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nnamdi Kanu Has Set A New Precedence In The Judiciary by Demdem2: 5:44pm On Dec 23, 2015
CharlesPhc:

I agree but what do you think about this judge's position on the matter?

It remains an opinion. Pending when the supreme Court agrees to it, it remains so.
Another zoo judge will re start the animal's trial.
Case continue.

4 Likes

Re: Nnamdi Kanu Has Set A New Precedence In The Judiciary by Nobody: 5:46pm On Dec 23, 2015
Gayigaskia:

Is the SSS the Judge ? Guy do you know separation of powers and all the parties involved in any given case?
what do u mean? Which judge are you talking about? Judge gave order Buhari through Daura disobeyed it,pls go back to school if you don't mind

7 Likes

Re: Nnamdi Kanu Has Set A New Precedence In The Judiciary by Nobody: 5:47pm On Dec 23, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:

The judge has no choice but to hands off. This isn't the first time judges have been stepping aside on cases. It won't be the last either.

Mr man I now know how dull your brain is. This is not about Biafra which I know you are not in support but it's all about the rule of law.

Wonder how you reason Mr Tonye.

10 Likes

Re: Nnamdi Kanu Has Set A New Precedence In The Judiciary by simpleseyi: 5:49pm On Dec 23, 2015
ERockson:
With this development Kanu will remain in DSS detention till 2019 and by then he would have grown a lot of sense and beard.

He would have grown a lot of beard but not sense. We does not have any sense and cannot grow any. He is going to be in DSS detention for a very long time. I expect the IPOB miscreants to go to DSS detention and free their lord Nnamdi Kanu, afterall Boko Haram stormed Army Barracks and Police Stations several times to free their members under the regime of the clueless drunk from Otuoke, have you heard any of such in this government? No.

4 Likes

Re: Nnamdi Kanu Has Set A New Precedence In The Judiciary by Tolatutu: 5:59pm On Dec 23, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:

It is rather loss of confidence.

While I want the youngman to be granted bail, the gravity of his alleged offence(according to the state) seem to make releasing on bail "impossible"(in quote). This is not as simple as we may think.

@TonyeBarcanista could you please do a thread helping to explain court order because it's clear that many don't understand. They seem to think that makes him immune to getting charged for another offense. That court order was only relating to those charges brought to that court and in no way stops the DSS from charging him for other offenses which is what they've done. I would love to hear you break it down

3 Likes

Re: Nnamdi Kanu Has Set A New Precedence In The Judiciary by CharlesPhc: 6:11pm On Dec 23, 2015
Tolatutu:

@TonyeBarcanista could you please do a thread helping to explain court order because it's clear that many don't understand. They seem to think that makes him immune to getting charged for another offense. That court order was only relating to those charges brought to that court and in no way stops the DSS from charging him for other offenses which is what they've done. I would love to hear you break it down

Have you heard of what they refer to as 'Abuse of Court'...?

You take an accussed before a Court, the judge gives an order, you run to another court, he also gives an order and you repeat thesame process in the name of different charges or offence.
Multiple charges can be collapsed into few for speedy trial.

I don't have a problem with the DSS holding him for security reasons but they should do a proper home work before the judiciary otherwise they will end up making a mockery of the hope of the common man. Today its kanu, tomorrow it could be one of your kinsmen

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nnamdi Kanu Has Set A New Precedence In The Judiciary by drss(m): 6:16pm On Dec 23, 2015
Gayigaskia:

this is a judicial matter. Buhari don't have nothing to do with this.
see dis one sad buari n dg dss ar from d same village in katsina.

2 Likes

Re: Nnamdi Kanu Has Set A New Precedence In The Judiciary by drss(m): 6:19pm On Dec 23, 2015
EternalTruths:

If another judge is sent, and Kanu reminds the judge of the various bails granted and disobeyed by the DSS, what do you think the judge will do.?

Buhari is putting himself in danger.

If anything happens to Kanu since the court has granted him bail, I don't see how Buhari won't pay dearly for disobeying court order. cool
Buari in just seven months destroyed judiciary. Ones a dictator always a dictator.

2 Likes

Re: Nnamdi Kanu Has Set A New Precedence In The Judiciary by EternalTruths: 6:29pm On Dec 23, 2015
drss:
Buari in just seven months destroyed judiciary. Ones a dictator always a dictator.

My brother

In 7 months, Buhari has placed Nigeria as a country where a President can disobey court order.

Under Buhari, Nigeria has become a jungle where no law and order exist angry

4 Likes

Re: Nnamdi Kanu Has Set A New Precedence In The Judiciary by TonyeBarcanista(m): 6:31pm On Dec 23, 2015
CharlesPhc:

Judges steps aside for various reasons. This is peculiar.

Imagine a scenerio where a new judge comes in, looks at the case and grants Kanu's release (making the 3rd Court to grant his release) and the DSS ignores his order?

Which Judge would want his orders abused or ignored by the State Security?

Where a Judge feels his order or ruling would be abused, as in the case of this judge, he is at liberty to excuse himself.

The DSS should be prepared to keep shopping for judges if our learned judges would think straight

Bros, there is always loopholes in law. He's standing trial for treason, which is not a bailable offence. The DSS are exploiting legal loopholes. Trust me boss, the case isn't so straight forward.

3 Likes

Re: Nnamdi Kanu Has Set A New Precedence In The Judiciary by TonyeBarcanista(m): 6:38pm On Dec 23, 2015
Tolatutu:

You know that it is a very sensitive issue. It's better we allow sleeping dog to lie. The truth is that his request is not abnormal. A new judge will be assigned.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nnamdi Kanu Has Set A New Precedence In The Judiciary by Remii(m): 6:39pm On Dec 23, 2015
CharlesPhc:

Did you hear Kanu say he would prefer to remain in detention?
. He said: “Thank you very much my lordship, but my objection is that I will not receive a fair trial before this court. The information I got is that I will not receive a fair trial before this court.

“I will not sacrifice the due process of law because of speedy court process over the principle of natural process on the altar of speedy release. In other words, I would rather remain in detention than subject myself to a trial that I know amounts to perversion of justice.

“Your lordship, previous court rulings have been given by courts of competent jurisdiction in this country, Nigeria which were not carried out by the DSS.”
those are from his words.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nnamdi Kanu Has Set A New Precedence In The Judiciary by EternalTruths: 6:47pm On Dec 23, 2015
Remii:
. He said: “Thank you very much my lordship, but my objection is that I will not receive a fair trial before this court. The information I got is that I will not receive a fair trial before this court.

“I will not sacrifice the due process of law because of speedy court process over the principle of natural process on the altar of speedy release. In other words, I would rather remain in detention than subject myself to a trial that I know amounts to perversion of justice.

“Your lordship, previous court rulings have been given by courts of competent jurisdiction in this country, Nigeria which were not carried out by the DSS.”
those are from his words

Tonyebarcanista do you remember my comment below

See the answer above. I highlighted it.

So you see that if another judge is sent, and he repeats the same comment, the judge will insist that DSS obey its ruling and if DSS refuses, the judiciary will lose every form of respect which will lead to break down of law and order. cool

EternalTruths:

If another judge is sent, and Kanu reminds the judge of the various bails granted and disobeyed by the DSS, what do you think the judge will do.?
If anything happens to Kanu since the court has granted him bail, I don't see how Buhari won't pay dearly for disobeying court order. cool

3 Likes

Re: Nnamdi Kanu Has Set A New Precedence In The Judiciary by yomexp(m): 6:49pm On Dec 23, 2015
EternalTruths:

Listen dude. if you commit 50 different offences, you will be arraigned 50 different times and you will have to apply for bail 50 different times. so for the fact that inamdi kanu was granted bail doesn't mean he can't be rearrested or rearraigned again for another offence. that is the position of the law.

4 Likes

Re: Nnamdi Kanu Has Set A New Precedence In The Judiciary by yomexp(m): 6:56pm On Dec 23, 2015
CharlesPhc:

Have you heard of what they refer to as 'Abuse of Court'...?

You take an accussed before a Court, the judge gives an order, you run to another court, he also gives an order and you repeat thesame process in the name of different charges or offence.
Multiple charges can be collapsed into few for speedy trial.

I don't have a problem with the DSS holding him for Security reasons but they should do a proper home work before the judiciary otherwise they will end up making a mockery of the hope of the common man. Today its kanu, tomorrow it could be one of your kinsmen
Listen dude. if you commit 50 different offences, you will be arraigned 50 different times and you will have to apply for bail 50 different times. so for the fact that inamdi kanu was granted bail doesn't mean he can't be rearrested or rearraigned again for another offence. that is the position of the law.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nnamdi Kanu Has Set A New Precedence In The Judiciary by najoke: 6:58pm On Dec 23, 2015
yomexp:
help me tell them o....they are beating their chest now....hope they will not shout RULE OF LAW very soon

5 Likes

Re: Nnamdi Kanu Has Set A New Precedence In The Judiciary by nnamdismart25(m): 7:07pm On Dec 23, 2015
Remii:
lol, I remember a court setting abiola free on condition during abacha regime, abiola rejected that conditional release, abacha then dissolved supreme court judges team, he never reconstitute it until both both of them died. he kept referring to that rejection of bail to justify detention of abiola till death took them away, femi falana blamed abiola's death in detention on his lawyers, I hope kanu is getting good advise from his lawyers and friends
. Guy wake up and face reality, abiola case you mentioned was during the military regime but unfortunately we are now in democracy. OK!

2 Likes

Re: Nnamdi Kanu Has Set A New Precedence In The Judiciary by yomexp(m): 7:07pm On Dec 23, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:

Bros, there is always loopholes in law. He's standing trial for treason, which is not a bailable offence. The DSS are exploiting legal loopholes. Trust me boss, the case isn't so straight forward.
It's not a loophole. it's the law. he is standing trial for another offence bothering on treason he will have to seek bail for this as well. to me the guy is just unnecessarily prolonging his trial. maybe he is trying to buy some time to look for a political solution or send emissaries to beg Buhari before the trial commences. remember the if he is convicted he will have to spend the rest of is life in detention.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nnamdi Kanu Has Set A New Precedence In The Judiciary by amaechi1: 7:08pm On Dec 23, 2015
You are absolutely right that he has set precedence:
1. Deferring the evil day for his judgment;
2. Join the league that may likely spend the Christmas in detention;
3. He was humble and only express his frustration at the court today.
4. The "Dullard Govt" is deal with him and he will learn his lessons.

God Bless Nigeria

4 Likes

Re: Nnamdi Kanu Has Set A New Precedence In The Judiciary by omojesu202(m): 7:08pm On Dec 23, 2015
CharlesPhc:

I personally feel Nnamdi Kanu has just set a new precedence in the Nigerian Judiciary with this landmark admittance from the judge.

With the statement from the judge, Kanu's lawyers can go ahead to file for contempt of Court against the DG of the DSS otherwise, anyone arraigned by the DSS may follow suite and claim lack of confidence in trial.

The DG of DSS should now immediately tender his resignation letter otherwise he must be invited to the NASS to explain on whose order he is acting in disobedience to a competent court order.

If he fails to do so, then it becomes an indictment (which could also be an impeachable offence) against the President and C-in-C of the FRN who would prefer to look the other way while his appointee keep daring the judiciary....!!!

noisemaker, we know where you're heading. keep deceiving yourself

1 Like

Re: Nnamdi Kanu Has Set A New Precedence In The Judiciary by Gayigaskia(m): 7:09pm On Dec 23, 2015
studio14:
what do u mean? Which judge are you talking about? Judge gave order Buhari through Daura disobeyed it,pls go back to school if you don't mind

Judge gave order another judge counter it, lets see who needs to go back to school. By the way i' am always learning i do't know about you arrogant

1 Like

Re: Nnamdi Kanu Has Set A New Precedence In The Judiciary by EternalTruths: 7:10pm On Dec 23, 2015
yomexp:
It's not a loophole. it's the law. he is standing trial for another offence bothering on treason he will have to seek bail for this as well. to me the guy is just unnecessarily prolonging his trial. may he is trying to buy time to look for a political solution or send emissaries to beg Buhari before the trial commences. remember the tif he is convicted he will have to spend the rest of is life in detention.

FG is the one buying time with the hope that he will forfeit his struggle which is protected under UN charter on self determination. cool

2 Likes

Re: Nnamdi Kanu Has Set A New Precedence In The Judiciary by yomexp(m): 7:16pm On Dec 23, 2015
EternalTruths:

FG is the one buying time with the hope that he will forfeit his struggle which is protected under UN charter on self determination. cool
you can continue to deceive yourself, it's allowed

7 Likes

Re: Nnamdi Kanu Has Set A New Precedence In The Judiciary by omojesu202(m): 7:17pm On Dec 23, 2015
CharlesPhc:

I personally feel Nnamdi Kanu has just set a new precedence in the Nigerian Judiciary with this landmark admittance from the judge.

With the statement from the judge, Kanu's lawyers can go ahead to file for contempt of Court against the DG of the DSS otherwise, anyone arraigned by the DSS may follow suite and claim lack of confidence in trial.

The DG of DSS should now immediately tender his resignation letter otherwise he must be invited to the NASS to explain on whose order he is acting in disobedience to a competent court order.

If he fails to do so, then it becomes an indictment (which could also be an impeachable offence) against the President and C-in-C of the FRN who would prefer to look the other way while his appointee keep daring the judiciary....!!!

Nnamdi Kunu never chin chum chin....hahaha
Nothing concern Buhari, DSS are doing their job of protecting the citizens against a criminal...
shebi him get guns? and him dey make contact with people wet get guns, no problem...
them dogam for DSS detention....
Lol...

2 Likes

Re: Nnamdi Kanu Has Set A New Precedence In The Judiciary by kettykings: 7:20pm On Dec 23, 2015
Please is it the same APC government and
The same judiciary that APC is relying on to upturn elected state officials of PDP is what they are choosing whether to obey or not.

And you want people to take such a government serious.

1 Like

Re: Nnamdi Kanu Has Set A New Precedence In The Judiciary by yomexp(m): 7:21pm On Dec 23, 2015
najoke:

help me tell them o....they are beating their chest now....hope they will not shout RULE OF LAW very soon
no mind them

1 Like

Re: Nnamdi Kanu Has Set A New Precedence In The Judiciary by TonyeBarcanista(m): 7:27pm On Dec 23, 2015
yomexp:
It's not a loophole. it's the law. he is standing trial for another offence bothering on treason he will have to seek bail for this as well. to me the guy is just unnecessarily prolonging his trial. maybe he is trying to buy some time to look for a political solution or send emissaries to beg Buhari before the trial commences. remember the if he is convicted he will have to spend the rest of is life in detention.
I think Kanu better exploit political solution. His alleged offence treason isn't a light offence. The video of him soliciting for arms is his major undoing.

Personally, I want him to be allowed to go home. He's just misguided.

2 Likes

Re: Nnamdi Kanu Has Set A New Precedence In The Judiciary by Nobody: 7:37pm On Dec 23, 2015
Gayigaskia:

Judge gave order another judge counter it, lets see who needs to go back to school. By the way i' am always learning i do't know about you arrogant
pls tell me the name of the judge that countered it and the name of the court? I have nothing against buhari I supported him in the last election because Jonathan was a failure. What I want is rule of law not daura law

2 Likes

Re: Nnamdi Kanu Has Set A New Precedence In The Judiciary by yomexp(m): 7:44pm On Dec 23, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:

I think Kanu better exploit political solution. His alleged offence treason isn't a light offence. The video of him soliciting for arms is his major undoing.

he ain't getting outta this. His greatest undoing is trying this stunt on Buhari's watch. Buhari will not take nonsense no matter whose ox is gored .

5 Likes

Re: Nnamdi Kanu Has Set A New Precedence In The Judiciary by nogames: 7:50pm On Dec 23, 2015
EternalTruths:

Stay there, that is how you people put him in to trouble. We were all here when you people were ranting nobody can arest Kanu, if government try it Zoo will fall, some of you were even saying he came to Nigeria and nobody dare touch him. Now he is in detention for days now. You people are still ranting. Do you want to kill him?

4 Likes

Re: Nnamdi Kanu Has Set A New Precedence In The Judiciary by EternalTruths: 7:52pm On Dec 23, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:

shocked

So a call for self determination through UN referendum is a misguided venture despite the fact that Britain allowed the Scots to determine their fate through a referendum

Barca

Now I know you are dishonest

I believe one of your parents is not a Nigerdeltan . That's why you seek SS and SW unity and do everything to destroy the love between SS and SE. cool

1 Like

Re: Nnamdi Kanu Has Set A New Precedence In The Judiciary by TonyeBarcanista(m): 7:57pm On Dec 23, 2015
EternalTruths:

shocked

So a call for self determination through UN referendum is a misguided venture despite the fact that Britain allowed the Scots to determine their fate through a referendum

Barca

Now I know you are dishonest

I believe one of your parents is not a Nigerdeltan . That's why you seek SS and SW unity and do everything to destroy the love between SS and SE. cool
His demand was push for violence. Does he need arms to agitate for referendum in his SE(not SS)?

FYI: Both Parents are #ProudlyKirike....

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Kaduna Refinery Dormant, Port Harcourt, Warri Producing Below 30% — NNPC / We’ll Wipe Out Boko Haram – Jonathan / Niger To Transfer 500 Boko Haram Prisoners To Nigeria - Reuters

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.