Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,732 members, 7,809,807 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:16 PM

Chidi Ohagi Invents Cohagi Intravenous Monitor - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Chidi Ohagi Invents Cohagi Intravenous Monitor (47536 Views)

Reason Why You Should Monitor Your Period(photos) / Russia Invents Chemical Dat Peels Off Black Skin / A Russian Laboratory Invents Means Of Removing Black Skin Layer On Black (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Chidi Ohagi Invents Cohagi Intravenous Monitor by chekasforchekas: 5:33pm On Dec 23, 2015

…Invents monitor, light concept

From OKEY SAMPSON, Aba

Chidi Ohagi from Isuochi in Umunneochi Local Government was like a secondary school leaver the day this reporter met him in Aba, the commercial hub of Abia State.
He had invented some products but no one seems to know. Intuitively, he began a tireless search for the Aba office of The Sun, the newspaper he believes would tell the story of his feat in the medical field and show him to the world.
Effusive Ohagi without any scholastic blue blood running in his veins treaded where the most effervescent scholars feared to go.
Out of sheer providence and hard work coupled with dent of positive stubbornness, he tackled the challenges on his way head-on to brace the tape of a trail blazer.
Ohagi attended Isuochi Central School for his primary education before proceeding to Isuochi Secondary School and later to Okija Grammar School in Anambra State for his school certificate examination.
That was Ohagi’s zenith in the wild firmament of formal education. However, what he lacked in paper qualification he has stoically made up in his breathe taking inventions that would take Nigeria out of its technological doldrums and properly place her among the comity of technological nations.
The thinking that Ohagi is just a secondary school leaver, interviewing him on his inventions was fun itself as he with dexterity dazzled technological terminologies oiled in flawless English; which makes one begin to ask if he actually did not see the four walls of the university.
Ohagi first came up with an invention in the medical field he called “Cohagi Intravenous Monitor” (CIM) and later invented a light concept he called “Cohagi Ever Light”. Names of his inventions were taken from his own name, Chidi Ohagi.

Aim of CIM invention
Explaining why he invented the Cohagi Intravenous Monitor, Ohagi said: “The invention seeks to address certain anomalies I observed in hospitals wards where I have been severally admitted. I observed that during the process of infusion certain activity comes up. For example, when the infusion bottles gets empty without the attention of the medics the blood of the patient starts moving up through the line of the infusion administering tube. Medically there is no known hazard associated with this incident but the psychological hazard it might cause prompted me to create this monitor”.
Despite the fact that there was no known hazard associated with blood moving up through the line of the infusion administering tube when the drip water finishes, however, Ohagi said he had witnessed a situation where a patient slapped a nurse for allowing his blood to go up the line.
It was to avoid this that the Abia State-born scientist invented CIM which will help medics monitor the process of the infusion and duly alerts them when it was done.

Other functions of CIM
Besides monitoring the infusion process in a patient, the invention, according the 41-year-old inventor, detects when the line of an infusion vies off from the vein of the patient.
“When blood clots on the tip of the needle the invention identifies it as a line blockage, it acts accordingly. Again, if the patient’s temperature goes higher or lowers than normal the monitor alerts the medics. Most importantly, this monitor aids a weak patient to call for assistance when the patient needs attention.

Evolution of the invention
Although it is on record that most inventors of old and in some cases of present never had formal education, yet it beats one’s imagination that in Nigeria where hard work had gone to the dogs paving way for mad rush for easy money, a young secondary school leaver whose quest for further education was truncated by lack of money came up with an invention that has become a very big challenge to the world.
How was Ohagi despite his limited education able to invent the CIM?
Hear him: “Well, naturally I’m gifted. Also as a child I was extra ordinary, I found myself creating something out of nothing. Although I was not able to study in the higher institution, but later I came in contact with Cleaveman Institute of Electronics, Ohio in United States of America and they offered me admission to study Electronic System Engineering. The institute is not concerned with grades an applicant makes but they solely depend on the interest of the applicant to study Engineering. It was not easy for me to study in the institute due to lack of finance, I could not pay my fees so I dropped out. Later, I joined Radio Netherland because they were running a short technical programme. So, that was how I started.

Idea for this invention
The invention of the CIM was out of necessity. Ohagi told a story of how in 2011 he travelled for the first time to New Delhi, India to make contacts with certain companies that will help him develop his inventions. While there, the inventor whose product is going through some analysis in the United States of America had a growth on his right eye and so decided to visit a hospital in New Delhi for a surgery.
“After the surgery I was in a recovery ward. I opened my eye to see one other patient who was moaning, I discovered that he was going through an infusion process, I didn’t know that his infusion has ended and there was no medic to check on him and the man was frightened as he watched his blood moving up the line. I had to alert the nurses through a button close to my bed so they can check the man. When I was discharged I had to make a research for any equipment that will help alert the medics whenever an infusion process ends. So, when I got back to my hotel, I thought about that invention, so I visited the biggest electronics market in New Delhi to pick up equipment I needed to create this monitor”.

Components for CIM, its guarantee
He said many components were involved in putting together the CIM which is fully digitalized and took him four years to develop.
Ohagi, however, said that one of the primary components he used was load sensor which he said cannot be found in Nigeria.
He assured that CIM was a durable concept which guarantee is based on the user’s ability to handle carefully without crashing it.

Appeal
Despite this noble feat, CIM is yet to be mass produced because of financial constraints, making him to appeal to both his state and Federal governments to give him financial assistance for the mass production of the product which cost he put at about N153 million.

Cohagi Everlight
Also on Ohagi’s invention menu is a light concept he called, “Cohagi Everlight”. According to Ohagi, “Ever light as the name goes implies that there should be light always. In our society, one of the things that bring development is power. It is a device that produces light. When there is power outage the Cohagi Ever light automatically comes on and starts to supply light to any environment it is brought into”.

http://sunnewsonline.com/new/abia-born-secondary-school-leaver-makes-breakthrough-in-medical-field/

37 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Chidi Ohagi Invents Cohagi Intravenous Monitor by agabaI23(m): 5:43pm On Dec 23, 2015
Great minds

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chidi Ohagi Invents Cohagi Intravenous Monitor by nnachukz(m): 5:45pm On Dec 23, 2015
Name Checkers Association of Nigeria (NCAN).

70 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Chidi Ohagi Invents Cohagi Intravenous Monitor by doublewisdom: 5:47pm On Dec 23, 2015
Too long. Someone, kindly give me the summary.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Chidi Ohagi Invents Cohagi Intravenous Monitor by ucheheart(m): 5:47pm On Dec 23, 2015
Nice concept but unfortunately this is nigeria. Let us pray his invention sees the light of the day.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Chidi Ohagi Invents Cohagi Intravenous Monitor by Begonia(m): 5:48pm On Dec 23, 2015
Good.
I was wondering why he sounded more educated than the average secondary school leaver until I read he attended an Institute of Electronics.
I wish him good luck and I hope he gets the much needed financial assistance from FG.

Ohagi said he had witnessed a situation where a patient slapped a nurse for allowing his blood to go up the line

What a short tempered man!
How dare he! angry

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Chidi Ohagi Invents Cohagi Intravenous Monitor by miqos02(m): 5:53pm On Dec 23, 2015
ok
Re: Chidi Ohagi Invents Cohagi Intravenous Monitor by Morhziez(m): 5:53pm On Dec 23, 2015
Good..
Re: Chidi Ohagi Invents Cohagi Intravenous Monitor by Austindark(m): 5:53pm On Dec 23, 2015
good
Re: Chidi Ohagi Invents Cohagi Intravenous Monitor by Vince77(m): 5:53pm On Dec 23, 2015
grin Proudly Igbo. grin

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chidi Ohagi Invents Cohagi Intravenous Monitor by Sunnycliff(m): 5:54pm On Dec 23, 2015
He is not a Nigerian but an Igbo boy. A proudly Biafran. Its not when it's for evil you guys will remember his an igbo man. #proudly biafran

65 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Chidi Ohagi Invents Cohagi Intravenous Monitor by vickkyruby(f): 5:54pm On Dec 23, 2015
Great! cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Chidi Ohagi Invents Cohagi Intravenous Monitor by stinggy(m): 5:54pm On Dec 23, 2015
nnachukz:
Yea, you should be dancing nakked by now grin

1 Like

Re: Chidi Ohagi Invents Cohagi Intravenous Monitor by ratchy: 5:55pm On Dec 23, 2015
nnachukz:
your association no dey carry last, wetin be result ?

1 Like

Re: Chidi Ohagi Invents Cohagi Intravenous Monitor by spartacuz: 5:55pm On Dec 23, 2015
Pix ain't showing
Re: Chidi Ohagi Invents Cohagi Intravenous Monitor by Destined2win: 5:55pm On Dec 23, 2015
hMM! gOOD nEWS FROM THE LAND OF THE RISING SUN!!!

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chidi Ohagi Invents Cohagi Intravenous Monitor by Ishopbest: 5:56pm On Dec 23, 2015
Nice
Re: Chidi Ohagi Invents Cohagi Intravenous Monitor by Demmocrats(m): 5:56pm On Dec 23, 2015
Chidi Ohagi from Isuochi in Umunneochi Local Government [/b]was like a secondary school leaver the day this reporter met him in Aba, the commercial hub of [b]Abia State

#I_Respect_Igbos.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chidi Ohagi Invents Cohagi Intravenous Monitor by Omotayor123(f): 5:56pm On Dec 23, 2015
Wow, wow, wow!!!
Re: Chidi Ohagi Invents Cohagi Intravenous Monitor by Drsmiles(m): 5:56pm On Dec 23, 2015
Wow
Good invention
As tiny as this seems ,its useful
Due to patient load most patients don't get247 round the clock nursing and medical attention
This may bridge the gap( in a way though)

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chidi Ohagi Invents Cohagi Intravenous Monitor by ratchy: 5:56pm On Dec 23, 2015
jamesjagy1:
[color=green][b]Mad Couple Making Love in Public Download Videos for free And More Funny

Go down to psychiatric hospital na

ur injection is awaiting you

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chidi Ohagi Invents Cohagi Intravenous Monitor by Psalm18: 5:57pm On Dec 23, 2015
I read through it.
And honestly there was nothing eye catching about all.he said.
Either he is over estimating himself or the reporter has not done rigorous check before rushing to proclaim another Nigerian a 'genius' for whom the government has not helped.

In summary, he is asking for over 100million naira for an invention nobody has heard of.
Science does not work that way.
Nigeria has suffered enough from pseudo scientist and inventors such as Abalaka, Emeagwali, Oyibo etc.

Between, whatever happened to the claims of Enoch Opeyemi to have solved the Riemann hypothesis.
I predict it will die a quiet death after defrauding Nigerians with his wild claims

10 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Chidi Ohagi Invents Cohagi Intravenous Monitor by clevadani: 5:57pm On Dec 23, 2015
amazing
Re: Chidi Ohagi Invents Cohagi Intravenous Monitor by ChappyChase: 5:57pm On Dec 23, 2015
Nice...
Re: Chidi Ohagi Invents Cohagi Intravenous Monitor by Nobody: 5:58pm On Dec 23, 2015
undecided

1 Like

Re: Chidi Ohagi Invents Cohagi Intravenous Monitor by ultrazone(m): 5:58pm On Dec 23, 2015
Congrats
Re: Chidi Ohagi Invents Cohagi Intravenous Monitor by Guyman02: 5:58pm On Dec 23, 2015
Nigeria should take Aba serious, there is a lot we can gain from there in terms of technology and innovation if only we can eschew tribal sentiments.
If only Yorubas can combine there computer programing (software) brilliance with Igbos technology (hardware) and eat made in Nigeria food grown by the Hausas (Other tribes are included in WAZOBIA) Nigeria will go places soon.
But every thread here is diverted with tribal abuses instead of celebrating one another.

30 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Chidi Ohagi Invents Cohagi Intravenous Monitor by Descartes: 5:59pm On Dec 23, 2015
Proudly Biafran

2 Likes

Re: Chidi Ohagi Invents Cohagi Intravenous Monitor by slimbless(f): 6:00pm On Dec 23, 2015
The guy actually attained a level in his academics, he studied abroad, not like he just left Sec school . OP u made It look like a school leaver invented that. To me, that his own education is far better than the one we have here in Nigeria.
Nice invention and we pray for more of him here

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Chidi Ohagi Invents Cohagi Intravenous Monitor by Wynnah(m): 6:00pm On Dec 23, 2015
Thumbs up bro. that's a good one!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Man Punched By Abia COVID-19 Taskforce Officers, Battles For His Life / I am Scared O, Have Learnt My Lesson, No More Skin To Skin / Nurse Seen Taking Lollipop In An Emergency Room While Attending To A Patient

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.