Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,356 members, 7,815,756 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:46 PM

Transmission Oil And Engine Oil - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Transmission Oil And Engine Oil (10111 Views)

Production Of Castrol Automotive Engine Oil Commences In Nigeria / What Is The Best Transmission And Engine Oil For Grand Cherokee Jeep 2005 Model / What Type Of Engine Oil Do You Use In Your Car And How Much Is It? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Transmission Oil And Engine Oil by khaleesi(f): 8:35am On Oct 13, 2016
Hello all, I just bought this 2006 toyota matrix some months ago. Since then, I have had to change oil every month. The last experience, I changed the oil 2 weeks ago and as this morning, I couldnt drive it cause the oil was "short".. I need help on why my engine consumes oil so much
Re: Transmission Oil And Engine Oil by nurey(m): 8:58am On Oct 13, 2016
khaleesi:
Hello all, I just bought this 2006 toyota matrix some months ago. Since then, I have had to change oil every month. The last experience, I changed the oil 2 weeks ago and as this morning, I couldnt drive it cause the oil was "short".. I need help on why my engine consumes oil so much

1. What grade of oil (xWxx) and brand are you using.
2. Is your car smoking if yes, what type of smoke color can you observe.
3. When you open your bonnet, do you notice oil around engine bay? , a clear pix of that could be useful.
4. Early in the morning go to where the car is parked observe the floor and see if you can see oil stains/pool there.
5. Is your check engine light on. If you don't know what I mean by that, start your car, while the car is running snap a clear pix of the dash board and post.
6. Online car diagnosis can only point a path to take to solve a problem, you will need a good mechanic that knows onion from garlic to physically check the car.
Re: Transmission Oil And Engine Oil by USPlaceofAutos: 2:11pm On Oct 13, 2016
For Ultimate engine protection, use DuraMAX

Contact Information:
US Place of Autos
10, Veteran Plaza,
433 Herbert Macaulay way,
St Agnes,
Yaba, Lagos
Telephone: 09035870964
E-mail: info@usplaceofautos.com
Twitter handle: @usplaceofautos

...Quality Guaranteed

1 Like

Re: Transmission Oil And Engine Oil by mrsdaniel: 9:47pm On Jun 18, 2020
nurey:

1. What grade of oil (xWxx) and brand are you using.
2. Is your car smoking if yes, what type of smoke color can you observe.
3. When you open your bonnet, do you notice oil around engine bay? , a clear pix of that could be useful.
4. Early in the morning go to where the car is parked observe the floor and see if you can see oil stains/pool there.
5. Is your check engine light on. If you don't know what I mean by that, start your car, while the car is running snap a clear pix of the dash board and post.
6. Online car diagnosis can only point a path to take to solve a problem, you will need a good mechanic that knows onion from garlic to physically check the car.

Hello, what engine oil"5w 30" , gear oil "ws" & axle oils do you advice on a sienna awd 09 model ? I didn't also see in the car manual if engine oil must be fully synthetic or semi synthetic , kindly advice ?
Re: Transmission Oil And Engine Oil by nurey(m): 4:59am On Jun 19, 2020
mrsdaniel:

Hello, what engine oil"5w 30" , gear oil "ws" & axle oils do you advice on a sienna awd 09 model ? I didn't also see in the car manual if engine oil must be fully synthetic or semi synthetic , kindly advice ?

Any synthetic 5w30 from a reliable manufacturer Mobil, Castrol etc will do your engine good, the weight "5w30" is the most important thing

Your gear oil is Toyota WS and you will require 5qts for a drain and refill that's about 4.X litres.

Axle oil is 80w90 you need 1L of that I have screen shot an excerpt from the owners manual for that

1 Like

Re: Transmission Oil And Engine Oil by AshipaEk0: 6:07am On Jun 19, 2020
USPlaceofAutos:
For Ultimate engine protection, use DuraMAX

Contact Information:
US Place of Autos
10, Veteran Plaza,
433 Herbert Macaulay way,
St Agnes,
Yaba, Lagos
Telephone: 09035870964
E-mail: info@usplaceofautos.com
Twitter handle: @usplaceofautos

...Quality Guaranteed

Have you personally ever tried opening this website link you posted?

You should try it.

Was talking you seriously and was interested in learning about your product then i tried your link and i was sorely disappointed
Re: Transmission Oil And Engine Oil by dicksonadams(m): 7:44am On Jun 19, 2020
Castrol loading...
Re: Transmission Oil And Engine Oil by mrsdaniel: 7:50am On Jun 19, 2020
nurey:

Any synthetic 5w30 from a reliable manufacturer Mobil, Castrol etc will do your engine good, the weight "5w30" is the most important thing

Your gear oil is Toyota WS and you will require 5qts for a drain and refill that's about 4.X litres.

Axle oil is 80w90 you need 1L of that I have screen shot an excerpt from the owners manual for that

Okay thanks .. I observed that Mobil 1 is sold above 20k but I also noticed a semi-synthetic 5w 30 Mobil oil. Can I use any of them ? See attached pics

Re: Transmission Oil And Engine Oil by kingreign(m): 7:52am On Jun 19, 2020
mrsdaniel:

You keep asking this questions up-and-down despite my response to you with good quality samples of oils and products to use. It's spamming of the thread and also it shows you're unappreciative of my answer as it's a waste of my time sharing my knowledge and experience.

1 Like

Re: Transmission Oil And Engine Oil by mrsdaniel: 7:56am On Jun 19, 2020
kingreign:

You keep asking this questions up-and-down despite my response to you with good quality samples of oils and products to use. It's spamming of the thread and also it shows you're unappreciative of my answer as it's a waste of my time sharing my knowledge and experience.

Hello, I don't really understand as that might be in another thread and your reply wasn't a waste ! I quoted Nurey response here for personal research sake ! Thanks
Re: Transmission Oil And Engine Oil by kingreign(m): 7:58am On Jun 19, 2020
mrsdaniel:

Hello, I don't really understand as that might be in another thread and your reply wasn't a waste ! I quoted Nurey response here for personal research sake ! Thanks

It was all spelt here.
Well, it's okay!
Re: Transmission Oil And Engine Oil by mrsdaniel: 8:13am On Jun 19, 2020
kingreign:

It was all spelt here.
Well, it's okay!

Yes, it's an open discussion forum as usual for information sharing and I observed neither synthetic nor semi synthetic was written in car manual as Nurey posted.. Don't get offended in ones personal research as i meant no harm
Re: Transmission Oil And Engine Oil by nurey(m): 9:19am On Jun 19, 2020
mrsdaniel:

Yes, it's an open discussion forum as usual for information sharing and I observed neither synthetic nor semi synthetic was written in car manual as Nurey posted.. Don't get offended in ones personal research as i meant no harm

I have never used semi-synthetic oil before but it cannot be ran like a synthetic oil, collective agreement is to take it like a conventional oil running it 5k km or 3 to 4months which ever comes first.

As for the promo Mobil you snapped I don't know much about it we never made head or tail about the product and our chief oil expert sooperrescue hasn't said anything concerning it.

1 Like

Re: Transmission Oil And Engine Oil by theoilguy: 9:50am On Jun 19, 2020
mrsdaniel:

Okay thanks .. I observed that Mobil 1 is sold above 20k but I also noticed a semi-synthetic 5w 30 Mobil oil. Can I use any of them ? See attached pics

We have Mobil 5w20 extended performance USA in stock for 18,000 naira only.. good for 6 months or thereabouts.

Contact on signature .
Re: Transmission Oil And Engine Oil by mrsdaniel: 10:43am On Jun 19, 2020
nurey:

I have never used semi-synthetic oil before but it cannot be ran like a synthetic oil, collective agreement is to take it like a conventional oil running it 5k km or 3 to 4months which ever comes first.

As for the promo Mobil you snapped I don't know much about it we never made head or tail about the product and our chief oil expert sooperrescue hasn't said anything concerning it.

Thanks very much .. I will be using a fully synthetic oil as discussed..A pal recommended hardex brand which he has been using without issues!
I will eventually weigh between various brand options

Re: Transmission Oil And Engine Oil by mrsdaniel: 10:45am On Jun 19, 2020
theoilguy:

We have Mobil 5w20 extended performance USA in stock for 18,000 naira only.. good for 6 months or thereabouts.

Contact on signature .

Ok but you didn't post pictures ? My manual also states 5w-30
Re: Transmission Oil And Engine Oil by nurey(m): 10:51am On Jun 19, 2020
mrsdaniel:

Thanks very much .. I will be using a fully synthetic oil as discussed..A pal recommended hardex brand which he has been using without issues!
I will eventually weigh between various brand options

https://www.nairaland.com/2508734/share-experience-hardex-5w20-engine

think twice before you use hardex, look into that thread sha

1 Like

Re: Transmission Oil And Engine Oil by theoilguy: 11:44am On Jun 19, 2020
mrsdaniel:

Ok but you didn't post pictures ? My manual also states 5w-30

Picture below.. You can visit my thread for more pics

Re: Transmission Oil And Engine Oil by mrsdaniel: 12:35am On Jun 20, 2020
nurey:

https://www.nairaland.com/2508734/share-experience-hardex-5w20-engine

think twice before you use hardex, look into that thread sha

Thanks a lot for the info .. I was lucky someone else advised me against that & recommended a Toyota engine oil source and WS

Re: Transmission Oil And Engine Oil by mrsdaniel: 12:37am On Jun 20, 2020
theoilguy:

Picture below.. You can visit my thread for more pics

Pls what's difference between the USA and Nigerian sold Mobil 1 as all are within same price range
Re: Transmission Oil And Engine Oil by theoilguy: 7:52am On Jun 20, 2020
mrsdaniel:

Pls what's difference between the USA and Nigerian sold Mobil 1 as all are within same price range

Mobil USA quality is obviously better. It also allows longer oil changes as what we sell is extended performance which can do 15,000 miles with a good filter unlike Nigerian Mobil that is good for 5000 miles only thereby saving you money.
Re: Transmission Oil And Engine Oil by anyibig: 8:07pm On Jul 02, 2020
nurey:

Good day sir, sorry to bother you, but I will need your help to analyse my car please. I bought a 2004 toyota corolla on May, I have changed the oil and oil filter with 5w-30 synthetic oil. But I'm concerned about my fuel consumption, my full takes me 260miles at most, sometimes 240miles. According to what I read online, at least I should be getting 400miles on full tank. I've no check engine light on. The last time my check engine light came on, it was a p0440 code 'evap small leakage'. My mechanic change the engine air filter pipe and cleared the code. The code never came back on again. Please, what do you think about my car fuel consumption. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Transmission Oil And Engine Oil by sooperrescue(m): 10:12am On Jul 03, 2020
mrsdaniel:

Mobil 1 local is made for fuel and Diesel cars while the Mobil 1 US is for gasoline engine only. So if your car states that you should use gasoline engine oil only, go for the US spec but while I was using Mobil 1 US, I recall that they have specific engine oil for Honda, Toyota and Nissan cars only. Because you can't use extended performance on a Toyota, it's not meant for it. We have also Mobil 1 US for Mercedes Benz 0w40 and so it is not every Mobil 1 that is good for your car. The Nigerian Mobil 1 0w40 is petrol and Diesel while the US is for gasoline engine only. It's good for people to ask questions about the oil we use because mechanics like me are not really happy that easily avoidable errors will make a car owner to spend millions to fix a car destroyed by engine oil. * I also don't want to believe that your 2009 Sienna will be asking for 5w30. It is either 5w20 or 0w20

1 Like

Re: Transmission Oil And Engine Oil by nurey(m): 6:37pm On Jul 03, 2020
anyibig:

Good day sir, sorry to bother you, but I will need your help to analyse my car please. I bought a 2004 toyota corolla on May, I have changed the oil and oil filter with 5w-30 synthetic oil. But I'm concerned about my fuel consumption, my full takes me 260miles at most, sometimes 240miles. According to what I read online, at least I should be getting 400miles on full tank. I've no check engine light on. The last time my check engine light came on, it was a p0440 code 'evap small leakage'. My mechanic change the engine air filter pipe and cleared the code. The code never came back on again. Please, what do you think about my car fuel consumption. Thanks

you can never get same fuel economy as manufacturer stated from onset because

1. due to wear and tear of engine, the vehicle cannot remain efficient forever

2. the fuel sold in Nigeria is adulterated.

3. driving pattern in Nigeria, holdup, bad roads etc.

I would advise you tune up your engine and manage the mpg you are getting
Re: Transmission Oil And Engine Oil by olumzzz(m): 4:20am On Jul 04, 2020
anyibig:

Has your fan been run direct?
Re: Transmission Oil And Engine Oil by anyibig: 1:37pm On Jul 04, 2020
nurey:

you can never get same fuel economy as manufacturer stated from onset because

1. due to wear and tear of engine, the vehicle cannot remain efficient forever

2. the fuel sold in Nigeria is adulterated.

3. driving pattern in Nigeria, holdup, bad roads etc.

I would advise you tune up your engine and manage the mpg you are getting

Thanks so much, will go for the tune up next week. Thanks
Re: Transmission Oil And Engine Oil by anyibig: 1:39pm On Jul 04, 2020
olumzzz:

Has your fan been run direct?
Run direct How
Re: Transmission Oil And Engine Oil by olumzzz(m): 4:14pm On Jul 04, 2020
anyibig:

Run direct How
Run direct means when you put on your ignition, your fan starts automatically
Re: Transmission Oil And Engine Oil by mrsdaniel: 12:06am On Jul 05, 2020
sooperrescue:

Mobil 1 local is made for fuel and Diesel cars while the Mobil 1 US is for gasoline engine only. So if your car states that you should use gasoline engine oil only, go for the US spec but while I was using Mobil 1 US, I recall that they have specific engine oil for Honda, Toyota and Nissan cars only. Because you can't use extended performance on a Toyota, it's not meant for it. We have also Mobil 1 US for Mercedes Benz 0w40 and so it is not every Mobil 1 that is good for your car. The Nigerian Mobil 1 0w40 is petrol and Diesel while the US is for gasoline engine only. It's good for people to ask questions about the oil we use because mechanics like me are not really happy that easily avoidable errors will make a car owner to spend millions to fix a car destroyed by engine oil. * I also don't want to believe that your 2009 Sienna will be asking for 5w30. It is either 5w20 or 0w20

Hello, i am of assumption your last line might be WRONG ! It's boldly written in car manual & engine cover . Sienna '09 limited AWD uses 5w30. We finally opted in for Toyota 5w30 fully synthetic engine oil alongside Toyota WS ATF based on OEM specifications

Re: Transmission Oil And Engine Oil by sooperrescue(m): 2:50am On Jul 05, 2020
mrsdaniel:

Hello, i am of assumption your last line might be WRONG ! It's boldly written in car manual & engine cover . Sienna '09 limited AWD uses 5w30. We finally opted in for Toyota 5w30 fully synthetic engine oil alongside Toyota WS ATF based on OEM specifications
You are very correct. My error

1 Like

Re: Transmission Oil And Engine Oil by anyibig: 5:05am On Jul 05, 2020
olumzzz:

Run direct means when you put on your ignition, your fan starts automatically

Oohh, No, it's not connected directly
Re: Transmission Oil And Engine Oil by olumzzz(m): 6:11am On Jul 05, 2020
anyibig:

Oohh, No, it's not connected directly
Okay then.
You should do the tuneup suggested by nurey

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Is It Illegal To Fit Extra Lights On Cars / Speed Limiter: FRSC Impounds 20 Vehicles In Onitsha / Nairalanders: How Do You React When Your Car Is Hit?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.