Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,378 members, 7,864,718 topics. Date: Wednesday, 19 June 2024 at 04:01 AM

Nigeria’s gas revenue drops by 50% - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria’s gas revenue drops by 50% (15765 Views)

Nigeria Revenue Drops To 5-year Low As Tax, Oil Income Fall / Nigeria’s Gas Revenue Drops By 50% / Power Generation Drops By 1,100mw As Egbin Workers’ Crisis Persist (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria’s gas revenue drops by 50% by Yendysthesage(m): 9:21am On Dec 26, 2015
Atmmachine:

Why is Saudi Arabia not experiencing the demand and supply ??
Saudi is facing the same problem , for the first time , it will have to borrow to make up its budget. So every member of opec is feeling the pinch but some more than others

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s gas revenue drops by 50% by Atmmachine(m): 9:22am On Dec 26, 2015
Lighthouseman:

Saudi Arabia pumps over 10 million barrels per day with a population of less than 30 million people and a huge foreign reserve. With these, Saudi Arabia can sell and break even for even 5$ until conditions improve while Nigeria has a population of 170million, a foreign reserve of 29 billion and sells only over 2 million barrels per day. You see the difference abi.
It's time to make the centre weak and the component units more autonomous.
Or else... Bubu just started begging for foreign aid

Can Nigeria pump like 40 million barrels per day to exceed the 10 million barrels Saudi Arabia pumps per day ??
Why don't Nigeria attract more buyers than the Saudi Arabia ??
Does the Nigerian oil have limitations or may dry up if pumped excessively ??
Re: Nigeria’s gas revenue drops by 50% by 100freekiss: 9:25am On Dec 26, 2015
yanabasee:

We are on the same page sirree...

I am looking at it from the currency perspective....

Now, the US dollar is a flat currency, meaning, it's not backed by any tangible commodity. From the implementation of the qualitative easing measures by the US Central Bank more money is created for borrowing, which makes the law of supply and demands to step in. Making the existing more less valued..

This law of supply and demand defines the effect that the availability of a particular product and the desire (or demand) for that product has on price

Generally, if there is a low supply and a high demand, the price will be high. In contrast, the greater the supply and the lower the demand, the lower the price will be. This is as a result of monetary policy.

Do you understand what @tonyebarcanista said?

your not on the same page with him ,Your off point

Dollar value has nothing to do with the price of crude , on the contrary dollar is gaining value by the day.

The reason for the fall in crude price is because there is a surplus availability of crude in the market , there by creating competition between the sellers (oil producing countries)
Every oil producing country wants to sell there oil at any given price.
Surply is higher than demand

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s gas revenue drops by 50% by Nobody: 9:27am On Dec 26, 2015
Atmmachine:

Can Nigeria pump like 40 million barrels per day to exceed the 10 million barrels Saudi Arabia pumps per day ??

If Nigeria pumped 40 million barrels into the market....oil prices would drop further.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s gas revenue drops by 50% by kings09(m): 9:27am On Dec 26, 2015
D way z to produce in 9ja, buy n sell 9ja made goods n consume 9ja. We cnt be importing, depend oil n expect naira 2 hv value
looseweight:
Which way naija??
Re: Nigeria’s gas revenue drops by 50% by teemy(m): 9:27am On Dec 26, 2015
Kikero112:

While I agree with you, agriculture is also subject to the same issues as oil....price drops in times of surplus.

Many African countries that rely on agric are also more reliant on foreign loans to fund their budgets. Especially when you are Malawi, and your major cash crop tobacco is under severe sanctions....
except we can bring in something new to the table like lower prices it would be hard to have enough market share sustainable to the country as most countries by now have their regular supplier(s). Talk about coming late to one's own party. It's every nation for itself.
Re: Nigeria’s gas revenue drops by 50% by Nobody: 9:28am On Dec 26, 2015
cramjones:
The massive looting that took place during GEJ's tenure has finally brought Nigeria to its knees. Greece would be child's play come 2016. The wicked Jonathan government fleeced our money when oil prices were sky high. The price is now projected to be at $20/barrel in the first quarter of 2016.

Now is the time for Buhari to be decisive and put this wicked, insensitive, clueless, heartless, corrupt and pouchy man in jail. Recorver the loot of him and his cohort and draw a strong and hard economic recovery policy. There is not much he can still do because the man called GEJ destroyed Nigeria!

-CramJones
seriously, Thats one bad news for Nigeria. All those bastard who worked for Jonathan and plunged our monies to zero should be condemned to death after collecting the monies.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s gas revenue drops by 50% by Nobody: 9:30am On Dec 26, 2015
But it would be better if we have more than one source of income for our dear nation. Sometimes I begin to wonder that crude oil is a blessing and a curse to Nigeria. Why? Because is as if it killed agriculture and other sectors that would have provided income
Kikero112:

While I agree with you, agriculture is also subject to the same issues as oil....price drops in times of surplus.

Many African countries that rely on agric are also more reliant on foreign loans to fund their budgets. Especially when you are Malawi, and your major cash crop tobacco is under severe sanctions....

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s gas revenue drops by 50% by youngalex(m): 9:30am On Dec 26, 2015
Atmmachine:

Is not a function of Volume but of Sales...where can we find buyers?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s gas revenue drops by 50% by teemy(m): 9:34am On Dec 26, 2015
yanabasee:

We are on the same page sirree...

I am looking at it from the currency perspective....

Now, the US dollar is a flat currency, meaning, it's not backed by any tangible commodity. From the implementation of the qualitative easing measures by the US Central Bank more money is created for borrowing, which makes the law of supply and demands to step in. Making the existing more less valued..

This law of supply and demand defines the effect that the availability of a particular product and the desire (or demand) for that product has on price

Generally, if there is a low supply and a high demand, the price will be high. In contrast, the greater the supply and the lower the demand, the lower the price will be. This is as a result of monetary policy.

100freekiss:

Do you understand what @tonyebarcanista said?

your not on the same page with him ,Your off point

Dollar value has nothing to do with the price of crude , on the contrary dollar is gaining value by the day.

The reason for the fall in crude price is because there is a surplus availability of crude in the market , there by creating competition between the sellers (oil producing countries)
Every oil producing country wants to sell there oil at any given price.
Surply is higher than demand

Let me explain his point. Our major single source or forex dollars is via crude sales. less sales, less dollars which gets lesser and lesser as earnings drop per week. our appetite for importation is still there and once there is little dollars to fund out importation needs the limited available dollars become more expensive day by day unless new sources of forex dollars can come in. This gas drop would also raise dollar price.

To cushion that the CBN has been on policies to reduce dollar dependence. But the demand is still high hence little or no effect.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s gas revenue drops by 50% by Atmmachine(m): 9:36am On Dec 26, 2015
Kikero112:

If Nigeria pumped 40 million barrels into the market....oil prices would drop further.

Oh
Wow.
Re: Nigeria’s gas revenue drops by 50% by Atmmachine(m): 9:37am On Dec 26, 2015
Kikero112:

Really ??
Re: Nigeria’s gas revenue drops by 50% by feaworaoja007: 9:37am On Dec 26, 2015
Atmmachine:
Thank you lord.
I hope it drops by 100% so the people who voted for Buhari would see the good work he's doing.

I wish Buhari would be the President of Nigeria for 50 years.
Buhari till 2056
lol...guy. Calm down! Somewhere lurked in my heart,i also have the same wish! cheesy

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s gas revenue drops by 50% by poseidon12: 9:37am On Dec 26, 2015
Atmmachine:

Why is Saudi Arabia not experiencing the demand and supply ??

Of course they are experiencing same issue of demand and supply. It's just that they saved adequately when oil was selling. And they refine their crude.
We squandered and embezzled our earnings. And we cannot refine our crude, spending scarce foreign exchange to import instead.

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s gas revenue drops by 50% by feaworaoja007: 9:39am On Dec 26, 2015
ritababe:

lol with this current economy i think we have discover it already and you are the prince. grin
i propose he makes you his Queen! cheesy
Re: Nigeria’s gas revenue drops by 50% by wristbangle: 9:43am On Dec 26, 2015
iteleaye:
Iwe kiko la i si oko ati ada, ko i pe o, ko i pe o, ise agbe ni ise ile wa, eni kosise a ma JALE... a ma JALE!!!

They forgot agriculture, concentrated on oil and gas... Even dodo sef, i sure say we dey import...

We neglected our first love in revenue generation which is agriculture and paved way to Oil discovery which actually ruin the economy.

Aja to ba sonu, ko gbo fere ode. Ni isin yi, o ma gbo fere ode by all means.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s gas revenue drops by 50% by Lighthouseman: 9:43am On Dec 26, 2015
Atmmachine:

Nigeria can't pump 3 million barrels.
Secondly, it's no longer a sellers market but a buyers market.
In the last decade, with new technology, oil has been discovered both onshore and offshore in areas that hitherto were impossible like in USA, Kenya, Somalia, Ghana etc and most of them are not opec members hence u can't control what they supply. Hence the over supply.

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s gas revenue drops by 50% by agabusta: 9:52am On Dec 26, 2015
Dindondin:
Price of domestic gas should pls drop

It has started dropping. I used to fill my 12.5kg with 3k. The last I filled it, it has dropped to 2500. And i'm sure it'll drop further.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s gas revenue drops by 50% by erico2k2(m): 9:53am On Dec 26, 2015
cramjones:
The massive looting that took place during GEJ's tenure has finally brought Nigeria to its knees. Greece would be child's play come 2016. The wicked Jonathan government fleeced our money when oil prices were sky high. The price is now projected to be at $20/barrel in the first quarter of 2016.

Now is the time for Buhari to be decisive and put this wicked, insensitive, clueless, heartless, corrupt and pouchy man in jail. Recorver the loot of him and his cohort and draw a strong and hard economic recovery policy. There is not much he can still do because the man called GEJ destroyed Nigeria!

-CramJones
The funny thing is thean GEJ lives in his. Village he has no fancy villa.has not mega cars.he wears a smile everywhere he goes.owns no house abroad.He is concentrating on making the Africa nation to know that election is not a do or die affair. Can someone who did all thses loot be living like that for the rest of their life??If you know he looted funds ask PMB to take him to court with all supporting evidence.But I can tell you the real thieves are civil servants.some li e near you on same street starting from your own local govt councilor.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s gas revenue drops by 50% by erico2k2(m): 9:55am On Dec 26, 2015
Lighthouseman:

Nigeria can't pump 3 million barrels.
Secondly, it's no longer a sellers market but a buyers market.
In the last decade, with new technology, oil has been discovered both onshore and offshore in areas that hitherto were impossible like in USA, Kenya, Somalia, Ghana etc and most of them are not opec members hence u can't control what they supply. Hence the over supply.
U just wait until china and India announce they too have discovered oil lol
Re: Nigeria’s gas revenue drops by 50% by erico2k2(m): 9:56am On Dec 26, 2015
teemy:

Let me explain his point. Our major single source or forex dollars is via crude sales. less sales, less dollars which gets lesser and lesser as earnings drop per week. our appetite for importation is still there and once there is little dollars to fund out importation needs the limited available dollars become more expensive day by day unless new sources of forex dollars can come in. This gas drop would also raise dollar price.

To cushion that the CBN has been on policies to reduce dollar dependence. But the demand is still high hence little or no effect.
Is this not the point where we have to devalue the Naira??
Re: Nigeria’s gas revenue drops by 50% by Lighthouseman: 10:03am On Dec 26, 2015
erico2k2:

U just wait until china and India announce they too have discovered oil lol
PA bubu will grant grant BBC hausa interview dissolving Nigeria.
This is what happens when a parasite sucks the host dead. . Both end up dying or when the rich wife looses her source of income the poor husband will just divorce her
Or
When God ask Cain were is the resource of your brother Abel?
Biafr:a will only agitate, the north will ask for Araba
Re: Nigeria’s gas revenue drops by 50% by Pavarottii(m): 10:06am On Dec 26, 2015
cramjones:

-CramJones
Which money are u talking about that was looted; as old as u are, u can also be deceived by Media trial and propaganda to tarnish people's image. 7months now! No single soul has been indicted nor jailed. And tell me one single money than has been recovered and from who and how? If u cannot tell me u r an OLD FOOL! My brother Buhari that u voted for. Cannot govern Nigerian is this modern age. He doesn't even know the economics of Nigeria, talk less of the world. Wen GEJ was in power. We were prospering; and he contested again to allow the proserity continue but rather u people voted for someone that didn't even attend school. And am sure that even u went to sch. Well enjoy wat u voted for. GEJ that u r insulting. Has had 3 UN assignments, 4 high prestigious invites to US for events. And he still has more lined up. Why didn't they invite any of our past leaders like that. Even Buhari! U think they don't know the diff between a president wiv vision and one without? it's a pity. Since Buhari came on board. Everything has been crumbling and u still av the effontry to blame GEJ that gave him the smoothest transition. Even the Devil will be angry with u.
U r now a Certified WAILING WAILER!
#BringbackGEJforprosperity.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria’s gas revenue drops by 50% by Franzeez(m): 10:11am On Dec 26, 2015
cramjones:

-CramJones
You have 10 likes for this your rubbish. If you had said this 6 months agoe you would have had about 100 likes. There is a stage and time when all these trash u said will make sense or Appel to people, at this point it does not appeal to anyone except you and your fellow kind of people. After all we are not campaigning. If Apc likes they should misuse the 4 years given to them.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s gas revenue drops by 50% by AndreB: 10:14am On Dec 26, 2015
I think Nigeria should focus on its gas infrastructure...reduce or stop gas flaring...and instead channel that gas to generate power, and also connect it to neighbouring countries. who would pay a stipend for its use. The revitalisation of industries, with this improved power, would be a catalyst for the diversification of our economy.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s gas revenue drops by 50% by zeongeon: 10:16am On Dec 26, 2015
When I see people point at GEJ and past administration I pity the youths of this country who have failed to realize that the mess Nigeria has found itself in is as a result of constant wastage, selfishness and greedy by our leaders that started long time ago even before I was born.

The mess Nigeria is in is as a result of 50 years of corruption, greed, selfishness, wickedness and corruption..."its not the last blow of an axe that cuts a tree down"....Unemployment, looting, lack of electricity, total dependence on oil etc has been ongoing before Gej time. Its not as if Nigeria wasn't useless before Gej time.

You read through post on naira land and you see intelligent post by the youths who can revive this useless country if given a chance BUT no same clueless old men that have failed and put this generation of youths through hell are the once still ruling and recycling themselves and making life more difficult for the Nigerian youth and yet some youths still defend them and do e-war for the sake of men who have robbed us off our dignity.

Until the youths of Nigeria take the bull by the horn these our leaders will wreck all of us.

Useless country.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s gas revenue drops by 50% by MrEverest(m): 10:27am On Dec 26, 2015
Atmmachine:

You are looking at it from a layman perspective. 1st, Nigeria can not supply as much as the Saudis simply because our reserve cannot support that, again a huge percentage of our 2mbpd supply of crude is stuck in ships & reservoirs at D export terminals waiting for buyers. 2nd, it costs more to extract Nigerian crude than the Saudi crude & this implies that even if crude oil sells for 20 dollars per barrel, Saudi will still make profit unlike Nigeria that may not break even due to cost of production. 3rd, European & Asian buyers prefer middle east supplies due to economy of scale brought about by proximity, this implies that it would cost more to ship Nigerian crude oil to Asia or Europe than from the M.East

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s gas revenue drops by 50% by 100freekiss: 10:31am On Dec 26, 2015
teemy:

We are saying the same thing

EVEN IF NAIRA IS USED AS A MEDIUM OF EXCHANGE FOR CRUDE , our earning will still drop. Because our economy is dependent on crude sales.

The only good thing is that it will make our currency (naira) strong. But our economy will still remain the same, with the same value of cash in circulation. Nothing more.

And for importation; there will be availability of naira . But with the current drop in earnings(crude price fall) , the cash flow will reduce for importation and your CBN will be forced to print more naira , in order to cover up for the drop in earnings and low cash flow in circulation. And this will result to currency Inflation

Even with the fall in crude price , the value of naira will fall( IF NAIRA IS USED AS A MEDIUM OF EXCHANGE). Because Nigeria major source of revenue is crude.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s gas revenue drops by 50% by kunlesmiles(m): 10:33am On Dec 26, 2015
Our politicians(pdp,Apc & d rest)had d opportunity to diversify our economy wen oil price was high,jst like Countries like Dubai and UAE did,but instead chose to diversify their pockets with different currencies,bt away from d problems,i still think dere is a solution,d government can borrow to finance capital projects,lets start wit Ajaokuta steel company,make refineries work so dat it can meet our daily demand,electricity wud improve once our refineries work,we Nigerian are nt asking for much,jst d basics.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s gas revenue drops by 50% by ozoemenafn: 10:34am On Dec 26, 2015
They were busy fighting GEJ struggling to get there by all mean but nature has a way it fights back and that is what you are seeing. All the policies they were criticizing GEJ for are all they are trying to adopt now including subsidy removal

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s gas revenue drops by 50% by slap1(m): 10:38am On Dec 26, 2015
God should protect me from job loss this 2016 o... I'm already seeing signs. sad

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Kwankwaso Never 'Directed' Me Not To Pay N30,000 Minimum Wage - Abba Yusuf / Pantanmi Orders The Termination Of Cash Payment At NIPOST Offices Nationwide / Arewa Youths Demand Reversal Of Petrol Pump Price, Threaten Mass Protest

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.