Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,463 members, 7,830,321 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 07:43 PM

A Question For The Igbos. - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / A Question For The Igbos. (882 Views)

Question For Catholic Igbo Men / All The Igbos On Nairaland Should Come In See What I Saw,unbelievable / Question For The Men (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Question For The Igbos. by Freshboi: 1:08pm On Dec 25, 2015
Merry Christmas to you all. I would like to ask the South Easterners in the house a question. In your culture, is it a must for the relatives of the bride to live with the couple? In all marriages contracted with some one with an Igbo person I have seen, a relative of the bride (young or old) always stays with them. Why?
Re: A Question For The Igbos. by Ufranklin92(m): 1:11pm On Dec 25, 2015
Freshboi:
Merry Christmas to you all. I would like to ask the South Easterners in the house a question. In your culture, is it a must for the relatives of the bride to live with the couple? In all marriages contracted with some one with an Igbo person I have seen, a relative of the bride (young or old) always stays with them. Why?

is not a must,the husband and wife decides if they re gonna take any of there relative to live with them
Re: A Question For The Igbos. by coolebux(m): 1:12pm On Dec 25, 2015
Confused soul One of the usual suspects
Re: A Question For The Igbos. by summerflame(m): 1:16pm On Dec 25, 2015
stop being a fool, answer the question

1 Like

Re: A Question For The Igbos. by Countdown(m): 1:16pm On Dec 25, 2015
It depends on the couple, there is no such culture anywhere even outside the south eastern Nigeria. You may wish to check 2 or more other families, I'm sure you will notice a different situation.
Re: A Question For The Igbos. by darlingtonIIV(m): 3:04pm On Dec 25, 2015
It's not a must.
Re: A Question For The Igbos. by ronald4lif(m): 3:27pm On Dec 25, 2015
It's not mandatory but a practice that exist in most families, not just the Igbos.

A lot of women would shrug off the idea of their husband relatives visiting or staying with them but embrace it if it's their own relative.

In some cases their reasons for not being receptive to the idea of accommodating an in-law is valid but most are flimsy.

They keep churning out silly excuses why an in-law shouldn't live with them or keep finding a way to kick them out if they're already living with them.

To me, if a woman unjustly refuses my relative to stay, even though she can't dare, then non of her relatives would be welcome too. Ende.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Question For The Igbos. by Richy4(m): 10:51pm On Dec 25, 2015
It is no compulsory Dear OP. But a situation where a man is living in 4 bedrooms or more in the city with the younger brother, then he was fortunate to have found a lady to marry, will he just throw the younger brother away just because he got married. Some were there temporarily just in search of job and when they got what they were looking for, they will disappear. It was just temporary condition.....

Besides, It was not only the igbos that harbour their relatives. other tribes do it too.. There are so many compassionate citizens out there, who recognised family value and helps when necessary....

The ones you have met, it could be that they may have been living with that man before he got married to the lady. but with time they will vacate the place and find their square root. If truly you have seen some older ones, why not ask them why they are living with their brother. or better still the condition of their stay in the house.
Re: A Question For The Igbos. by yvesboss(m): 6:16pm On Dec 26, 2015
coolebux:
Confused soul
One of the usual suspects

Answer the question ogbeni...must yu b sentimental with everything??
Re: A Question For The Igbos. by yvelchstores(f): 7:46pm On Dec 26, 2015
It's not recommend. A young couple shld live alone. At least for d first few years. Very important.

(1) (Reply)

Missing Person / Thank / Is Mummy-daddy Play Harmless? Share Your Experience

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.